Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Pistol101 Thank you for showing me the way! I feel much more at home here 😊
  • Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hello all. This website is driving me to distraction, every time I try to post I discover I’ve been logged out and have to reset my password. Here’s hoping I stay for a while this time!

Another one here waiting for her medcert to be approved. Welcome to the new people - you’ve picked a great race. And if you’re travelling alone don’t hesitate to join in any of the forum events. I was very nervous about ‘flying solo’ the first time I ran Paris but knowing there were a few friendly faces about who I could panic at made a big difference. And that first Paris led to many other delightful things (but that’s another story  :) ). 

(And Eggy, don’t think I haven’t spotted that comment about Comrades. But I’ll be on my best behaviour.)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Everyone. Just in case you didn’t pick up on it, Running Rodent is a Comrades Pusher.
    If you don’t know what it is, Google Comrades Marathon - (and its not a marathon)
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    No speaka da Eeennnnglishhhhh.

Parlez vous Glaswegian?
  • Stuchbury reporting for action. The calf tear has cleared off, I’ve run a whole 17.5 miles this week, the last five at the speediest pace of 9.5km an hour so the training is on!! (Albeit about two months behind 😂)

Welcome to all first timers, it really is a special place and race. 

All of Team Stuch will be in Paris for le race, probably with a bit of Disney thrown in if an adult books it! 

HAPPY Training! Where are folks up to with their LSR mileage?
  • I’m in the purple pen. Likely going from the v back of it. I’ve done that before and I love the space you get when you set off down the Champs Elysee with not many runners.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Stuchbury - Glad to hear your injury is on the mend.

I knocked out my first 20 mile LSR last weekend. Thankfully this week is a cutback week.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Stuchbury, glad to hear that your injury is behaving itself.
    I like your tip about starting from the back of the pen. I’ve done that, too, and it was like having my own pen with so much space - and access to the loos. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone in the pink pen, though. Especially if you plan on running slowly.
    My LSR is due to be 22k today, nowhere near Eggy’s distance.
    Eggy. How many 20 milers will you be doing?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    chamolk
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    GLit74
    Stuchbury
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Ahlovethecake
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
    NatMac
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Orbutt I do three 20, one 21 and one 22 mile training runs as part of my training. Basically every other weekend between now and tapering I’ll doing at least a 20 as my LSR.

I know there are people who run well off far less than that, but I’ve found that sort of training results in me running well on race day. It seems to work for me.

My planned LSRs before taper now after completing this mornings run are: 21, 18, 20, 12, 22, 16, 20.
  • It looks like the Purple pen is the place to be! 

Eggy I’m cranking up the longer runs this time and running them much slower. I’ll probably be pretty similar to you. I’m going to pop a nice half in the middle as a change.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Pistol101 - That is one thing I do. I’m good at keeping my LSR pace slow. Looking back at my early running days I ran those sessions too quickly and it without fail something would go wrong on race day. 

Fitting in a half is great. I tend to do that for autumn races, but events are few and far between in Scotland at this time of year, as organisers don’t trust the weather to not ruin it. Most races up here start from April onwards.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Ah well. The best laid plans of mice and men.
    My planned 22k turned into 11.5. 
    I started my run feeling tired and was battling my head all the way. The route was two different loops but both of them have long steady (not steep) hills and I’m not Someone who likes hills. 
    The first loop was getting slower and slower and when I got to the point where it took me past my house my head went into overdrive and convinced me to bail.
    I shall consider it, not as a failure but as an involuntary cut-back week.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Orbutt sounds like a tough day at the office. Hopefully a bit of rest and you’ll be feeling better for your next run.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Probably the best option Orbutt, and thy best way to look at it - take the positives you can. These days happen to everyone I suppose.

3 x 20+ mile runs seems very reasonable eggy, and if you know if works for you then why change a winning formula?

My longest run so far has only been 14 miles, things a bit behind due to the "involuntary cut back" 6 weeks I had over Christmas, don't think I'll go any longer than 20 for this marathon.  I will do a few long weekends though, which worked for me last time - 6-8 miles Saturday, mostly at around target pace, then 12-16 miles sunday with a good bit of that at target pace too. Got 2 half marathons in March so they'll be useful to see where I'm at, and fit in nicely with my long run plans
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    chamolk - thanks.
    I like the sound of long weekends. I may give that a go, in a few weeks 😊
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Entries are now sold out. 65,000 entries.
    Wow, that’s a lot.
  • Oh my gosh 65,000?? Enough to feel rather intimidating for a rookie. Luckily I trust my training plan - and learning from all you good people 😊
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac dont worry, not all 65,000 will be on the start line. There will be drop outs.
    Still, this will be a very large field.
    So many new friends to make 😁
  • Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    65,000? Wow. It’s going to require a bit of pointy-elbow work at the water stations. I might consider wearing a race vest and carrying my own bottles in that case, to avoid some of the crowds.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    That’s a lot of entrants. I’m sure the organisers will reward us with one extra portaloo in the start pens!
  • I’d almost forgot about the Forum, Duracell Bunny in da house 😎. I’ll post my bib colour shortly Mr O 👍
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Bandito. 
  • Purple Pen for me Mr O 👍👍👍
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    chamolk
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    GLit74
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Ahlovethecake
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
    NatMac

• Hmm...maybe we should invade the purple pen party Running Rodent...
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal. If Running Rodent is going anywhere it will be back into the grey pen with me and some Scottish bloke who loves cake and has assumed a different name this year.
  • chamolk said:
    Probably the best option Orbutt, and thy best way to look at it - take the positives you can. These days happen to everyone I suppose.

3 x 20+ mile runs seems very reasonable eggy, and if you know if works for you then why change a winning formula?

My longest run so far has only been 14 miles, things a bit behind due to the "involuntary cut back" 6 weeks I had over Christmas, don't think I'll go any longer than 20 for this marathon.  I will do a few long weekends though, which worked for me last time - 6-8 miles Saturday, mostly at around target pace, then 12-16 miles sunday with a good bit of that at target pace too. Got 2 half marathons in March so they'll be useful to see where I'm at, and fit in nicely with my long run plans
    I'm a bit behind too - 15m LSR today, and if all goes to plan still enough Sundays left for a few 20+ milers like Eggy. Planning on Paris being a step towards a fully-trained performance elsewhere later in the Spring.

Starting to get excited now. 65,000 entrants is surely the most they've ever had. It's been in the fifties for a couple of years. I wonder how long now before they introduce a ballot?
  • Orbutt said:
    Radar Sal. If Running Rodent is going anywhere it will be back into the grey pen with me and some Scottish bloke who loves cake and has assumed a different name this year.
    He might not want me cramping his style...
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dom. I get the feeling that Paris quite likes having so many entries. When I first ran it, entries closed at the end of November. Over the last few years they’ve been allowing more and more entries. 
    This also means that the later pens have more hanging around before they start.
    RR 😁