Comrades 2020

Comments

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Lowrez: good to see that the 7/7 is still good to go, not to far away now and as others have said I am sure you will grind your way through it.
    McH: glad there is better running there, sounds like a huge improvement from when I lived there about 10 years ago.  I became a treadmill monster when in Shanghai.

Not sure why but as the training is going well I entered a 50km race on Saturday, called the Its Grim up North Ultra (or something like that).  Hoping to do it in 4.59.59.

I see lots of miles on strava across the board.  I am still doing a lot of bike work as well and still toying with the idea of throwing in an IM in late March, not decided yet though.
  • Hi all. Hope you are all well.

I've been vaguely following the thread every so often. There were a few things that mentioned me.. but I've probably forgotten them.

Some thoughts:

- Yeh.. I wouldn't recommend carrying any kind of ultra bag for Comrades. Last year it was just an annoying additional weight. The on course nutrition was more than enough.

- I only did a marathon training plan last year too. If I had one piece of advice it would be leg strength work in the gym and hill miles.

So.. I have not booked flights yet. Some how last year I got them direct from Heathrow for £420. I can't see anything less than £500 atm and realistically the cost is my constraining factor at the moment. I'm looking at £1,000+ to torture myself again :P Anyone have any insight as to whether any mega deals are gonna appear?

As for qualifiers.. I decided against 2 Oceans, but am doing Manchester in April.

Hope everyones training is going well/sorry to hear about peoples various niggles/injuries.
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Hello All, it appears that I was unceremoniously chucked out of my old account. Decided not to wait any longer for a reply from RW support so just set up with a new email address to re-register. New abbreviated forum name along with the long abbreviated running ability!

I hope all is well, I tried to catch up as much as possible these last few days while trying to access the website. Although the number of injuries hasn't changed in this thread, its nice to see quite a lot other stuff has - McHilly where are you living these days?? and Debra huge congrats to you on your 100 marathon triumph!

Lowrez and I have been conversing on and off so I knew he'd finally lost the plot deciding to traverse the globe in 7 days running 7 marathons with a wonky hip.

He also mentioned the Thames Meander debacle with SS's 'ear' phones which sounds deeply unfair especially considering they weren't in her ears at the time. I don't know Dave Ross that well but he helped connect me with the right people at CMA during my 2016 chip debacle (and to be fair at that time I was ready to build a shrine to the guy) so I'm disappointed to hear SS was treated this poorly.

The hamstring is improving nicely, I'm not fixed quite yet but I'm increasingly running but shorter distances targeting regularity over distance to make sure I actually recover and get the reconditioned towards daily running. I get tired a lot quicker in the injured right leg for obvious reasons and that's backed up by my garmin which tells me my ground contact time on the right is longer/slower to rebound, my stride length in both has reduced compared to before and my cadence is a lot slower overall so it might take many months before I'm running balanced and efficient but all things I expected. What really kills me is how fit everyone else looks running past!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I am scoffing at that last sentence JAR! :D Same happens to me all the time... my latest refuge is walking. Tried a test with the Garmin tonight; about a 16 minute average - ha! 7 hour marathon pace. That has really helped calm my nerves, if my upper back hadn't complained so much! I think my body is just in complete shock at becoming released from the semi-locked up state it was in 4 months or so ago, and now it is having to re-balance. Daft time to go swanning off on a world trek - but as Peter says - I know how to grind out the marathon distance no matter what. Really glad you are recovering well from the op, sounds like a very sensible plan - I have a Fenix 3, are the features you refer to onboard that gyzmo - I'm sure stats like that would give me some insight into what's going on with my frame :)

Thomas - I paid £450 out of Manchester last year - first skip was to Heathrow - I am staying longer and dividing flights up this time out and have forked out over £700, I left it a lot later though, bought in Jan this year, but in Sep last.

Peter - I have run several Grim events, they are very good, usually multi distances over the same course; half, full and ultra.

I am currently raffling a Michael Owen signed England shirt and other goodies at work on my latest charity drive...

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Competitor list is being assembled, last time I looked the names and nationalities were in but no bios yet.
  • Hi Lowrez, I've got a fenix 3, and I can get those stats if I wear the Garmin hrm-run chest strap and pair it to the watch.  Currently £59 on Amazon, may be cheaper elsewhere!  I'm not so keen on wearing chest hrms so only use it now and again.  
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    agree, I haven't paid much attention to those stats after the first month or so of buying my watch but they are interesting when I do a look back for comparison purposes. I track HR though and as soon as my fenix bites the dust I'll be happy to buy one that has the wrist based HR.

I use my HR metrics to upload into Strava for relative effort tracking which i think works quite well and it's simply enough that I can keep an eye on it without going into analysis paralysis.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone,

I found out yesterday that I am being reclassified as a 'foreign' runner under the new ASA rules.  I will loose my ASA 'P' prefixed number and will be reassigned a 'F' prefix where F and P stand for permanent and foreign respectively.  Well I really don't mind so much about my classification, but it matters for how much I have to pay to run Comrades.

So I entered as a 'local' runner  for the 2019 race, which was accepted as a Permanent Residence holder as was supported under the previous ASA rules.  I've entered as a 'local' runner for the 2020 race, but still my entry is not showing up on the website as they are still working through the manual entries.

My ankle is still in a not-so-good shape.  I've run 4km and 2km since the 1st of Jan.  Still some way to go - maybe 2-3 weeks more of recovery.

So I've entered for a race that I may not be able to run in an entry category that I'm not longer eligible for......

I might be looking for a subsititution entry later in the year.  Let's see what happens
  • Sorry to hear of your woes Bike It

Ran the Dubai marathon today, weather was perfect 19 degrees at the start - 0700 and only got to 22 degrees. 

Ran conservatively through the first half in 1.52 but slowed down after that. I don't use gels but usually use the Gatorade, this year it was Pocari Sweat, I don't like so stuck with water. 

As always it was well organized, but I slowed and decided not to push it to beat 4 hours, came home in 4.04 - happy with that and got my 2 Oceans and Comrades qualifier.

Went for a swim in my pool when I got home and feel pretty good.

I'm in!!!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Pocari Sweat - a name from the past when I was in Japan a lot - actually it tastes decent to me..

Sounds like a very nice day out DR - the conditions sound quite 'reasonable'.  Good to have the qualification box ticked nice and early
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Sorry to hear the news of your ankle BI, also have the rules changed this year for 'foreign' runners because I know people who've run for local clubs despite not living in the country . Do you have leave to remain in SA?
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Also well done on qualifying already Dubairunner - glad to hear the weather played ball!
  • Thanks Bike it and JAR.
  • Bike it, sorry to hear about the ankle, hope it recovers soon. 
    Dubai runner, good to hear you’ve qualified. 
    Hopefully I qualify in Tokyo in the not too distant future, as I think all marathons in China cancelled for a while, so not much of a back up plan :-) 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Well done Dubai. Nice to tick off both race qualifiers in one go.

BI - sorry to hear about your ankle and entry issues. Hope they both get sorted and in a positive way in the very near future.

McH - You'll be fine at Tokyo. Unfortunately it sounds as if the treadmill may be the only safe option for having a run for a while. Stay safe.

lowrez / JAR - i use a a wrist based HR monitor. I know its not as accurate as the chest ones but for me, once i have used my watch and HR for a while, i can tell what is happening with the numbers. Have also started tracking my HR daily to see what happens. It was certainly interesting when i caught a 24 hour bug on Christmas Eve. I reckon it has taken me almost 5 weeks to get rid of from my system. When i was running i felt fine, but my HR was higher than i expected for the type of run i was doing.

lowrez - hope your charity drive raffle went well.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a whole heap of hassle for Comrades to sort out Bike It, if they are even aware, I would hope your entry will simply be processed as submitted. Hope the ankle comes through, long lasting injuries are so frustrating to manage. I'm planning a long walk today, ha ha, last year someone called me "an athlete" ha ha!

Brilliant result Dubai, at least us crocked runners will have some people to cheer on if we don't make the grade this year :D

Thanks for the gen on what I would need to get extended stats, but, I have never used a chest strap and I'm not going to start now.

Raffle did go well Marty; I drew in £476, however, I'd expected much more of a clamour for the footy shirt and was regretting putting it up as top prize. As luck would have it a woman who is more into rugby won it, and, later in the day handed it back to me to raffle again! So at the current count I have just over £1k donated in total, and, if my company launches their double matching scheme again this year, and I can argue a good case that Brain Research UK are a worthy charity, which I have successfully done in the past, that'll get boosted to £3k. Very pleased at that already, but the campaign goes on, I will collect for them across this year at all the events I run apart from Comrades.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a lot has happened since I last looked in here.  I had wondered why I was not getting the email heads-ups from RW and have just found out they had mysteriously been disappearing into spam (that had never happened before so I don't know why that started!).

Good luck with recovery BikeIT, Lowrez and JAR (who seems to be making great progress).  Lowrez, you seem to be doing your 16min / mile walking even slower than my recent park run pace. My long lasting knee issue has almost 100% resolved after following the physio's exercise advice fairly closely - last physio session coming up on Tuesday. I'll tell him to end sessions after that, with some final exercise reviews /advice.  'All' that remains is to try and regain 8 months worth of declining/lost stamina - I need a willpower boost! Getting out for so many months for a total of about 10 to 15kms/week is just not cutting it ☹.  I'm wondering if I'll feel up to the Cambridge half in about 6 weeks time - if so it will certainly be no better than 50/50 jog walk.  Anyone else doing that half?

I've booked my flights at last with Egyptair!  As surprising as that may sound, I found an economical 'round trip' from LHR to JNB; JNB to Hurghada; Hurghada back to LHR -all for £687. I always rent a car from Jo'burg because of the need for local travel. The reason the flights work for me is by combining a Red Sea Liveaboard diving week with my Comrades visit. Just wish I could be running it.

Good luck with upcoming events  and injury recovery where needed. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great news on the knee Terry, is the quad back in shape now too? With my lower back a bit jittery I am experimenting with walking pace to see how scary that is against the 8hr limits on the 777 marathons. Feeling safe with being able to crack out 16s on non-flat ground, seems I have a 7hr worst pace scenario, although I should not tempt fate - ha ha - I've walked 8 miles pretty briskly this affy and my upper back is now complaining! I'm sure I'll work my way through this though. Plan some more walking tomorrow. Dropped off at the barbers to get my marathon haircut during my  walk.
  • I sneaked in a bonus marathon yesterday just outside Amsterdam.  Met up with Mac3 who was along for the half as well.  It was the Sri Chinmoy Inspiration marathon and didn't taper for it, so aimed for sub 3:20 if I could manage it.  But the lack of taper and biting cold took its toll and I came in 3:22.  Still happy with that and I've got my comrades qualifier sorted with time to improve from C seeding if required!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Peter. Sounds like training is going brilliantly.
  • Cheers Marty, yes all going to plan at the moment.. just 20 weeks or so to go! 😀
  • Found a training plan in my copy of Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. Anyone else followed this plan, looks like a sensible build up - for me anyway.

And congrats Peter, great time!
  • Dubairunner well done on qualifying.
    Mc Hilly: good luck in Tokyo.
    Terry: good to hear you've had progress with the knee situation
    Peter: that's a great time.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wonderful to run into (snigger) Slow Duck on The Wirral Way this affy; Good luck on next weekend's marathon SD, hope you get good weather and the time you are after.

I clocked 3:39 for 14 miles whilst lugging a coat over me shoulder for the most of it, so pretty sure sub 16s are achievable. I'm on a mini 777, have walked two days in a row now - ha ha - a back to back! Hip is a bit irked by this but nothing major, so I plan to walk 3 miles in my lunch hour every day this week too, not sure about evenings, will see how it goes. Then its the flight out to Cape Town on Saturday!

Brilliant time Peter! Well done.

Go, go, Tokyo McH :)

Good luck in South Devon Super Snail!
  • Great to have a chinwag with Lowrez on the Wirral Way today and to wish him luck for his 777.

I have to report that Lowrez was looking very svelte!

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Good to meet PeterDHM at one of our local races, and the pizza and beer we had later on!  I did the half and slow to a max HR.   A nice event and well organised but only 80 or so runners in total.  As it was a c.5k lap course you did see other runners or watch the die hard rowing teams as the route went around the Olympic size rowing lake.  There were some doing the 8 in 8, and heading to NY that afternoon.
    Terry - good to see your injury problems are behind you.  It will take some time to regain your fitness of course, perhaps a slow build-up to Comrades 2021!
    JAR - good to see the re-hab is going well and I know it's just nice to be able to some training.  Re HR monitors,  I wear a chest strap for HR based training despite have a wrist monitor on my Fenix 5s. I find the wrist monitor too variable and generally inaccurate.
    BikeIt - hope you recover soon and your next post confirms your entry!

• Have just caught up with everything..

McHilly - How's it going out there? Geography rubbish so just looked up how far you are from Wuhan. Is it affecting you at all? Are you safe out there? Hope all well.

Jar - glad to hear the hamstring is going in the right direction and your getting some runs in. Not surprising its tiring you out. Often wonder how you're doing when I go past your daughters school grounds!

Bike it - that all sounds very frustrating for you. Not only the ankle but also the inefficiency of you getting your name down on the start list. Fingers crossed.

Terry - glad the knee is better. Will be good to see you out in SA

Peter DHM - congratulations on the qualifier

Lowrez - hope the standing desk is working well. Sorry to hear you've still not managed to fully sort out your wonky bits!! I think you're accomplished enough to get through your 777. Make sure you enjoy the week. I see you're flying to Cape Town first. Thought the first one was in the Antarctic. Need to go and look your itinerary up. 

South Devon ultra for me this weekend. Really hoping the weather calms down a bit. Don't fancy 9/10 hours in the rain :'(  I've also just noticed they're forecasting 40+ mph winds. That'll be nice whilst on the cliff edge :#
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Just found the latest updates in my spam box again!  I can't figure out why yet. I've noted RR web sender as a trusted sender and also marked a whole batch as 'not spam' and 'always trust senders domain'. Yet it still happens :( .

Lowrez, to answer your question: the quad is not hurting any more, just suffering from the long lasting injury related decline in strength/endurance.  I really feel for your struggles so close to your 777.  I hope that all works out ok, take care!  Have a good trip to Cape Town as a starter to your travels.  I'm envious - love Cape Town
  • lowrez: best of luck for your trip!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to hear the quad is ready for build-up too Terry. I have had a similar problem with spam classification from other sites. I find "not spam" contributes nothing to machine learning, it just lifts the e-mail into your in-box, also the general domain safe listing didn't crack it either, specific sender safe listing does, but it took safe listing several variants of the sender e-mail to finally crack it - you think the stuff comes from just one e-mail address when in fact subtle variations are being used depending on the notification type or route, hope you can crack it.

Didn't go for a walk this affy, nothing major, but, this walking malarkey has got muscles I probably don't use much a bit sore, thought best to let thing settle this close to the event start. Rule no.1 - get to that start line in the best shape you can!

Thanks for the best wishes everyone - I still have nothing booked for my return trip, have booked one night in a hotel in Miami and really unsure how much in shape to do anything I will be after that!