Sub 3h15

Comments

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

SBD – That’s a tasty tempo interval session

Jools – Good 12 miles

SBD – Nice steady 15 miler

DT – Good to get a MLR in the bag. Interesting bodytrax stats – I like to try it out some time

GD – Well done on getting the lunch miles in.

Les – Great 800s and Nice tempo miles, especially due to the about turns

Nicko – Sorry to read about your poor track session. I hope you have a good Parkrun

Gul – Great progressive 15 miler

OO – I hope you hip calms down

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and wise words of caution. I’m listening carefully to my body and will back off at the first sign of problems.

Having said that............ I've been running 40-50 miles most weeks and I’m increasing to over 70 this week. A lot of this was a 30 miler I ran on Wednesday. I stopped 3 times during the run for 10 minutes to help get used to the Last One Standing (LOS) format. I’ll intend a few more long runs including an overnighter. Its funny how stiff your legs get after only 10 minutes break, when you’ve run marathon distances. The first few hundred metres back are fun! The runners who do best at LOS seem to take about 50 minutes a lap with a 10 minute break before it begins again.

I didn’t run yesterday to recover from the 30 miler. I’ll continue to take a day off each week. I had no issues today with a comfortable easy run. I’m running about 15 miles tomorrow including my local Parkrun. It will be interesting to see how I get on after one weeks higher mileage. I only managed 21:01 flat out last Saturday at the end of a moderate mileage week. My body usually reacts well to higher mileage.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice tempoing, Leslie. I do enjoy those sessions.

Nicko, boditrax is very interesting when you are on the way back down the stats. It is too much for me to handle when I am going the wrong way.

Nice bit of recovery, Gul.

Well done on the 30 miler, Badbark. It's interesting how you can go up and down at 5k pace so quickly like that.

Tempo Friday for me. Last time out 2 weeks ago it ws 8m at 6.31mm for 161 bpm. I have been struggling this week with a  mild cold and not sleeping well, peaking last night with an exceptionally crap sleep. So I wasn't feeling overly up for it today. Once I got it sort of came together, though didn't feel quite as relaxed as previous outings of this nature.

Splits came out 6.39, 6.32, 6.33, 6.33, 6.32, 6.33, 6.32, 6.34 and 6.33 for an overall average of 6.33 and 160 dead on bpm. Pleased with that given how I was feeling. A mile further than last time, 2s per mile slower but 1bpm less. Just over 11m in total with wu and cd.

Just 16 sunday to round off week 1 of 14 for VMLM.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Impressive tempo session DT - 9 miles sounds a lot - are you planning to extend even further?

Go easy with increased weekly mileage Badbark although the 30 miler didn't do you any harm.  I'm surprised you were only able to run 21:01 for the parkrun but I'm sure you'll be back down below 19:00 before long.

Bad news on the hip OO - hope the light sessions do the trick.

Good recovery miles Gul.

Good luck with the park run nicko - sub 20 should be a breeze.  Thanks for the Bath course info - will need to save something for the final mile!

That's a good solo tempo session Leslie - always harder on your own and the dual carriageway doesn't sound much fun.

Progressive Friday for me, 13.1 miles on the treadmill (must get out more!), with the pace decreasing from 8:19 to 6:26, 1:37 for the run.  It's strange how at 6:58 pace, so well above LT pace of c. 6:15 and the breathing pretty light it was beginning to feel an effort to maintain the pace.  Hard to believe this is due to any lactate in the system so must just be a mental thing.  It felt like it would have been easier to run at 6:15 to 6:30 pace!
  • OO - hope the hip is okay.
    Badbark - 30 miler? Madbark is back 😀
    Leslie - cracking tempo run.
    SBD - good progressive. Have you read Noakes and his central governor theory?
    Late night so a bit late up, but still squeezed in 13 by running 10 @ 6:4x/m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blyth parkrun is one of the flattest in the area so ventured there for a confidence boost.lovely conditions and the hip behaved. 6:09, 6:06 and 6:02 for 18:48 and a 5th place finish. This is my best for a couple of months. The real test is how long I last on tomorrow's long run-16+ I hope.
    Too much late night partying Gul 😉
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

DT – Awesome tempo session, especially with lurgy

SBD – That’s a good progressive HM on the tready

Gul – A very nippy 10 miles in the 13 miler

OO – Excellent Parkrun time! I hope tomorrows run goes well too

I’m not long back from a 15 miler including a Parkrun after 8 miles. I didn’t reset my watch before the Parkrun and didn’t check my pace during it. I didn’t know how’d I done but was 12th and would have guessed at just breaking 20 minutes. I’m chuffed to have just read the results email, as I managed 19:22. That’s my fastest Parkrun since 2018 and since getting injured last February. I’m totally over the moon. I’ve been Parkrunning about 20 to 21 minutes most weeks but have increased my mileage over the last week. This included a 30 mile run on Wednesday. Badbark and Madbark are well and truly back!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - cracking run today, we'll take that as the mp run. Thats why you need to space out the sessions/hard runs. 

DT - good work from you too. Those long tempos you do are why i say you can race faster.

By waybof comparison i did the 18m inc 10mp today and averaged 6.28 for the 10 (although it was more 3 av 6.40, 7 av 6.24 due yo the fcking wind again). Im aiming  low 2.5Xs (or better), so you two are in good shape. Im not sure i could have gone any quicker in the 10m so i bet you both had more in reserve too. Be brave in those build up 1/2s.
  • DT big tempo session there well done , I do like them but the day after aint much fun !
    SBD it will be due the the dreadmill being a torture device (imo) get out and burn up some tarmac ! Nice half time !
    GUL I see you have found another gear and it looks like top with those paces ! you must have ran a sub 90 half !
    0054 nice to get the speed back up again.
    Badbark nice parkrun in the long run , I know what you mean about stopping , stopped twice to get a stone out my shoe today and it was a struggle to move again .LOS sounds like mental torture as the laps go by....
    TR savage tempo pace that 2:50 is looking doable now.

Yesterdays recovery was very grim ,I actually stopped without realizing at one point for a few secs as my legs were mashed 5m at 9:56 pace so wasn't hopeful of today's long run.

15m at 9:25m/mile average with 4 mile of huge hills in there , at 10 mile on it was flat so tried to pick it up , 1 mile at 8:30 then the wheels fell off and back to 9:30 to 10's for the long and painful death march back in. Coming of 4 nights ain't much fun lol ....

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the parkrun improvement, Badbark. 

SBD, yoyr mental resolve must be high to run that on a treadmill. Nice going. The tempos will peak out at 10m. Just building to that level over next couple of weeks so I'll  be hitting 10 from early February. As long as i keep them to that 160 hr level they aren't too hard going. 

Gul, nice work on yoyr tempo 10m. I think that time on feet at pace is a great preparer for a marathon. 

TR, well done also on your 10. Yes, i was keeping a lid on things to keep hr at 160. If the schedule had said run the last 3 at 6.15-6.20 then i could have flipped the switch for sure.

Nice work on the parkrun, oo. Hope the hip holds out for tomorrow.  

Leslie, well done on toughing out the recovery miles. Oddly i tend to feel much better after running tempo paces than i do after easy miles. So 11 yesterday with the 9 at tempo, i feel much better today than after Tuesdays 11 at easy  That isnt a one off either, its always been the case. 

Just spin and bodypump today. 16m in the morning to round off a 55m week 1. Decent as I've done 3 hrs of cross training this week as well. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Pleased for you Badbark that's a great time in the middle of a long run.👍
    Sounds tough Leslie hope you give yourself a well earned rest.

• OO - good parkrun;  hope the hip holds up today.
    Badbark - great going.
    TR - cracking MP effort.
    DT - great week of training.
    SBD - good luck today with your MP run.
    6 miles to round off the week today making a total of 75.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Nice going, Gul. Any preliminary thoughts on a target time? is your pb 3.12 from Boston? 

My 16 passed without anything noteworthy at 8.01mm. The only thing i would say is I've been running to 14 for a while and been thinking in the last 4 I'm a bit tired and wondered how the pick up in length would go. Essentially i just shifted that thought process to mile 12 instead. Feeling no different post run to how i usually feel. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Badbark. He’s back!

Cracking tempo running, DT. Really looking forward to doing stuff like that myself soon.

Got out for a 17 miler on the trails yesterday. Absolute quagmire in places, proper swamps too. Great fun but slow going and a good workout.
    Out again today for a 5 mile recovery. Threw in some strides which brought the pace down to 7.23. Had a nice feeling of getting stronger. Looking forward to cutting back a little next week (week 4) and then introducing proper pace sessions in Feb.

45 miles for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The hip held up this morning but took it nice and slow. 22 today and 52 for the week. After an early scare at the start of the week I'll take that.
    Cracking pace DT, I couldn't get anywhere near that 🔥
  • Awesome tempo DT, looking in really good shape. For week 1 of a marathon programme that's a terrific session.
    Good mileage week OO - 22 miles seems very scary distance at the moment.
    Strong pace on the long run G-Dawg
    Massive mileage Gul, always impressive.
    Sounds like a very strong 18 to me TR
    Amazing pace in the middle of your long run Badbark - back with style.

Did 4 very easy pace Friday then parkrun Saturday very disappointing at 20:30 ish, just couldn't hold on; legs felt trashed on all the hills and just had no flow. Scanned barcode then went back out there for another full go at the course which came out at 22 mins - some clubmates did a similar session but 17mins/18mins - they are FAST.
    16 today was a struggle - approx 8min miles but felt every step of it - fairly hilly with 1200ft elevation but as the 9th day of running in a row I was done. About 50 for the week and enforcing a rest day tomorrow.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Sounds like the legs were not happy at the 5K nicko but well done on grinding out the 16 miles today.

Excellent work on getting the 22 done OO.

A good long run in the Surrey swamps from you G-D.

Good mental tactics on the long run DT.  You'll be at 20 before you know it.

That's a good weekly total Gul.  Yes - I've got the Noakes tomb.  My Central Governor has got a lot to answer for!

Well done on grinding out the long run Leslie.

That's impressive pace on the 10 MP miles TR.  They're tough sessions outside of a race and you nailed it pretty well.

A timely return of speed Badbark.

Today's session was 18 miles with the last 10 miles at MP.  So Staverton 10 (Gloucestershire) for the MP miles, with an 8 mile warm up.  I was questioning my sanity as I set off at 5:15am but the logic had seemed good back in November when I booked the race.  Timed the warm up to arrive back at the start 10 minutes before the gun but managed to almost get lost on a muddy track.  Legs feeling a bit niggly on the warm up but I was hoping they would come to life in the race.  Didn't quite turn out that way, so miles 1 and 2 in 6:39 and 6:33 but then 6:52 and 7:05 as we turned in to a pretty strong head wind.  Never really recovered from this point, apart from a last mile of 6:31, finishing in a very disappointing 67:47.  Not quite the 65:00 I had in mind.  Will just have to write it off as a bad day!  Perversely, the legs were feeling seriously trashed at the end so only just manged the obligatory 2 recovery miles to give 20 for the day and 78 for the week.

Much needed recovery week next week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nicko, for me there's too much fast running sprinkled into things which is why 50 has left you done, especially off a 10k race. I'd just try and stick with the 80/20 principle and make sessions just that and easy runs easy. You'll cope with more than 50 without trouble then. 

Excellent work on the 22, oo. 

Gdawg, nice work on the 17. 

SBD, I've not come across that race before, which us surprising as it's  relatively local to me so surprised to not see someone on my strava run that. As a race/event what was it like? Flat course, decent quality field etc? 10m races are hard to come by so be interested to hear your thoughts. That aside, still a handy ssession at about 6.40mm? At this early stage it looks good. There was definitely a stiff headwind floating about today. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO – Tidy parkrun there. It must be pleasing to see each mile split quicker. A 22 miler! When is your next marathon?  Decent weekly total too.

Gul – Very nice 13 miler. Looking good for your half. Big weekly mileage too.

TR – That's a tasty nice 18 miler with 10 at MP. What's the most miles you do at MP in the build up to your race? 

G-Dawg – Sounded like you had fun and you're coming back nicely too. 

Badbark – Great improvement in the parkrun. Good to see you healthy again.

Leslie – Tough sounding run that. Must be tricky trying to balance everything with those night shifts.

DT – Good weekly total and very diligent with the cross training too. I'm hopeless when it comes to that. Nice 16 and good mental training.

Nicko – Don't beat yourself up over the parkrun. Must be a tough course that. Which one is your local one? Well done for grinding out that 16 too.

SBD – We all have days like that and as DT says still a decent outing. Big week that. You'll be grand after some recovery this week.

My week went well. I managed to do 5 runs, which is more than I have averaged for months. 4 5k's with some hills/flat ones and then a hilly 9 miler on Saturday. The 9 miler was another HM test kind of run and it came out at 6:36 mm average. Quite pleasing to run 9 miles in under an hour with those hills and not to feel too whacked afterwards. The focus at the mo is building up the strength and endurance as I'm very light on the mileage. 

• DT- nice 16. Yes, Boston was a PB; 3:09. I would be happy with a similar time, but maybe 3:05 would be a good target.
    GD - a couple of good runs to do finish the week.
    OO- 22! Nice one.
    Nicko - well done grinding out the 16 miler on tired legs. Rest will do them good.
    SBD -that's still a great session at the end of a huge week. Enjoy the cutback!
    GM - sounds like things are coming along nicely.
    13 miler to start the week. 7 @ 8:09 and 6 @ 7:28/m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to see your progress Gerard glad the mojo has returned- sometimes takes a race to give you focus. My next mara is MANCHESTER but just pacing my daughter. I'm also doing San Sebastian in December- take a look, it's a cracker you might fancy 😉
  • DT - totally agree, some bad decisions on the sessions. Need to be more sensible and structured.
    Gul - great way to start the week.
    Gerard - very decent pace on that 9 miler, especially on hills.
    OO - Manchester will be great, slightly different course this year too. San Sebastian I'm sure will be amazing - check out a BBC program that was on late last year called Remarkable places to eat - they go to San Sebastian and have the best steak I have ever seen.

This week's plan (claiming it here so I stick to it): approx 50miles

Mon: Rest
    Tuesday: Pomphrey 5K as a tempo run + 4 mi w/up and cooldown
    Wed: 10 Slow
    Thu - 6M at MP + 1mi w/up and cooldown
    Fri - 5 Slow or rest.
    Sat - Easy Parkrun + w/up and cooldown
    Sun - Thorpe & Egham Half @ MP - between 1:26 and 1:28 + 4 miles w/up and cooldown

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good plan Nicko and I'm sure you'll have no trouble at the half. I've never done a shorter race at MP, I always go for it so hope are more restrained. Yes the Basque country are famous for their love of meat, and it's also the home of the tapas.. I've been off red meat for over a year now but maybe I'll treat myself post marathon😜
    6 slow one today taking the car to and from the garage.
    I'm toying with doing a 5k on Thursday, one of the free lunchtime ones, part of the great run series. Has anybody tried these, they seem to be immitating the parkrun idea.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    SBD big tempo's after a very long warmup are always much tougher and a bit of a shock to the system as you are running fast much further into the run than usual when tiredness is more an issue so I wouldn't worry about it and in a  a big week too ! They will be worth every penny on raceday though...
    Nicko you will soon be catching those fasties with double back to back parkruns . I had to have a rest day yesterday too as I was whacked and I only manage 45 a week but with a lot of sessions, sometimes 2 easy days in a row really helps me recharge. Enjoy the speedy half.
    Gerard you look to be in sub 85 min half shape at the very least  going by those numbers you are clearly having a comeback great to see ...As for nightshifts  2 sessions on nights equals wipeout for me just can't recover from it on shift, may have to look see if I can balance things a bit better, I moved tomorrows session forward to keep it off shift this week.
    GUL min 3:05 aim high you gotta be improving on your training schedule.

Rest yesterday and was going for a 4 x 1 mile but sneaked another in for 5 x 1 mile at about current 5k pace. 

Miles were 6:20, 6:26, 6:26. 6:28, 6:29 with 2 mins walk in between and every sec of that was needed !

45 mile for the week .

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nicko - not sure id do the 6m mp thursday given tues and sunday. Just saying.

SBD - thats a lot of time and trouble for an mp run, but you are the master in getting the build up and race day spot on. Will you do any mp runs Hans Solo?

Gerard - longest mp run is 14m, but i think I'll be doing a fast 1/2 instead. You sre in good nick given that run, probably just need some miles.
  • OO -are you not going to be at VLM this year?
    Nicko - good plan for the week, but take care not to push too hard during the week if you want a strong HM on Sunday.
    Leslie - nice mile reps. 3:05 is/would be an improvement!
    16 miles this morning; average pace 7:58/m. No long run this week ( a cut-back one), so next 5 days should be nice and easy.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes Gul I'll be there in London and look forward to our meet up. Manchester is first up though, then Berlin and San Sebastian later in the year 👍
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just back from 5 days in Gran Canaria,managed to run most days but ran with my wife so a very easy pace.Ended up with 55 miles for last week so another solid week for me,currently on 227 for the months which beats my previous best of 211.
    Back to the wind and rain today for 11.5,only good part was the tailwind up the 2 big hills I did.4 weeks now until Seville so training pretty much done.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Decent week, Gerard. Looks like you are building some momentum.

That looks reasonable, Nicko, subject to TR's comment. Though define 'easy' in parkrun terms? If I aid I was going to do an easy parkrun i'd still be looking for about 19.30. It's just easy relatively.

Leslie, if you are going out for 4 x 1m and sneaking on an extra 1 then I would be surprised if current 5k pace is faster than that!

oo- They do a few great run locals on a Sunday morning in Birmingham. I know a few people who do them, often as part of their long run. They aren't very competitive neither do they attract many runners.no t heard of the lunchtime edition though.

Gul, 3.05 would be a good target for you. Only 2 years ago that was gfa for an 18 year so it's pleasing being at that level. Nice couple of runs to kick off the week.

I managed my usual 4m recovery yesterday and a very poor effort in spin last night. Just been out for a session over lunchtime. Very blustery down at the racecourse with it  blowing straight off the river. Did 3 x (2k at 10kp off 90s - 1k at 5kp) all off 3 minutes. The 2k efforts all came out around 6.05-6.10mm and the 5k efforts between 5.55 and 5.59mm which was all within the target pace range. Pleased to get that session done as those higher intensity sessions are my least favourite.

Popped to DL for a Boditrax weigh-in again today, down to 70.6kg from 71.2 last Thursday. Pleased with that and only just over half a kilo from target weight and 13 weeks to achieve it (or more, not put weight back on in my case)!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I think the Newcastle one attracts about 60 runners DT but I'll let you know Thursday if it's any good.
    I'm on the track tonight but will be taking it easy for the hip's sake. Besides I did a massive 4k swim this morning. The pool was empty so I just kept going.
    Welcome back Ian. You will love Seville, hope you are making a short break of it. Terrible flooding in parts of Spain, but I'm sure it will warm up by February 👍
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-That's great news on the weight,that's really something I should work on but I never get round to it.
    OO-I am only there Friday-Sunday,with just being away,then Barca and Boston I had to keep it tight to save using many holidays.