Comrades 2020

Comments

• Terry, great news regarding the knee and I like that you get to combine the Comrades trip with some diving. 
    I love the way people from this group bump into each other on the Wirral way (which I know well) or a random small marathon event!
    Lowrez, great you got the Micheal Owen shirt back to use as another prize, definitely worth more than you got from the initial raffle, it’s an awesome shirt!
    SS, thanks for asking, I feel healthy and safe, but we are impacted by the various restrictions in place, transport and supermarkets are open but almost everything else closed. Chinese NY holidays officially extended and no one can return to work until 10th, this will include the authorities that currently have my passport for visa processing, but hopefully I will still get it back in time for my planned travel to Uk/Japan for Tokyo and comrades qualification! As so few people are out and about, running around the perimeter of the local park (park itself is closed) feels safe, just need to make sure I walk around a bit after I finish a run to get cold and pass the temperature checking to get back into the building! So I have plenty of time to do training!
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Lowrez good luck with your travels and 777 .. I love Cape Town too so make the most of it (and keep safe).
    McH: have you had the aeroplane treatment yet with the temp checks.  I was there during one of the outbreaks and they would come on the plane and take your temp before letting you off.  I had a cold once and took something an hour before landing to avoid being shipped of somewhere for a week of quarantine.  Good luck getting your passport back in time.

I did the Its Grim Up North Ultra on Saturday.  Also a small event, but a nice route and really well organised.  Did the 50kms in 4.22 (marathon in 3.37) so I am happy with that.  I am already a C seed but was nice to know the training is on track.
  • Peter - well done on the ultra. Sounds like a good time

Lowrez - I appreciate you have various injuries and you don't know how they'll cope but I remember that doing the 10 in 10 last year that you get to a point where you're no worse off than the day before. When I'd finished I actually felt ok, so you may well find that you're perfectly ok for some sightseeing and walking around. Might all just happen at a slower pace :)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Terry - great to hear from you and it sounds like you've been a model patient in doing your exercises.

PeterDHM - well done on a fast time

Peter R - well done on 50km and I've not found the Grim courses easy, so that's a great pace you ran

JAR - good to hear of your progress

Bike It - sorry for your injury

McH - I hope you get your passport back soon

Snail - good luck for your ultra

Dubairunner - well done on qualification

Lowrez - well done on the fundraising and good luck for the forthcoming marathons
  • Peter, yes, temperature checks everywhere, I’m not sure I’ve had my temperature taken in the last 50+ years, had it taken about 20 times in the past few days! I make sure if I run outside, I allow myself
  • Lowrez- do you have a justgiving page, or another way I can contribute towards your fundraising?

Im having a bit of a wobble. For various life reasons/excuses, I have not run much at all since Yorkshire and I could probably run about 4 decent miles right now before wanting a walk break. I know that I've done well enough at marathons off a 12 week plan, but only 4 months and taper til Comrades and Im having second thoughts. Maybe the best thing to do is pay for the flights, and then I'll have to knuckle down??
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Johnny, wobbling is an inherent factor of Comrades. I really hope things aren't going horribly for you at the moment. Its probably all too easy for me to say that I've generally struggled to get to the start line in reasonable shape. I've never done better than 11:52...

Last year I didn't make it through the last cut-off, so no result listed above. But Comrades has given me the greatest moment of my running life and many many more great moments, several last year. It is so worth persevering, and if you have the slightest glimmer of hope at a completion you have to arrive on that start line...

The above is my 2016 back to back run, the cut-off at Drummond was 6:10, getting over the finish line was just incredible. The finish was a k or 2 closer back then finishing in Kingsmead Cricket Ground, if it was at this years finish I'm not sure I would have made it, I was a bit pleased...

Buy those flights!
    777 donation page
  • Thanks for the motivational pep-talk Lowrez! Im going to do everything I can to make it

Best of luck for 777. I've made a donation and hope you hit your target 

:)
  • Hi everyone. Newbie here. Looking a bit if info if anyone could help. Just back into running after several years on and off injuries. Really want to do comrades. I am from northern ireland but grew up in SA. Watched comrades every year as child and always said one day.  Now I am serious in getting back in shoes. Just wondered what's best way for international to enter? Do I go through the like of sports tours international or just enter direct via comrades entry? Also I am not affiliated to a running club. Do you have to be? Also last question can you use any marathon as a qualifier? I am entered for Dublin in October. Looking to run sub 4.30. Thanks for reading. Would value any info you all could provide. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow Johnny, thanks for the donation, very generous! I will get you a pint in Durban!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Louise, most of us enter direct, you don't need to be in a club, almost any marathon with an on-line presence officially measured will do, Dublin will be accepted for sure, this year the mark to beat is 4:50, I am pretty sure 4:30 will be more than enough to get you in for 2021. Hang out here to soak up loads of info :) Hope your training goes well.
  • Hi Louise, enter direct and pretty much any marathon seems to do.
    Flights+shuttle to hotel, walk or cheap taxis to/from expo/beach, +they sell bus tickets at the expo to get to start/from finish (depending on direction).
    If you look at my post history I did a more comprehensive one a few years back but that's the high level summary!
  • Thanks guys really appreciate  the info. 
  • Louise - welcome. I also don't belong to a club. Just enter, do your marathon and rock up on the day (bit of training in between of course!!) Lots of good advise available here.

Johnny - its quite normal to have a wobble especially if you're not able to get too much training in at the moment but its still 4.5 months away. Fantastic race. Good to incorporate walk breaks too. You'll be fine :)
  • Hi Louise, welcome. Like everyone has said already, Dublin at c. 4:30 would be fine (I've qualified with really small low-marathons in the past). Book your hotel at the end of June this year - seriously! Flights can wait until January. There are great online training plans available specifically for Comrades, but really once you've run Dublin you want to keep going (after a little rest) - don't let your mileage slip back too far. Instead, use your marathon-level fitness as a springboard, consider running a couple of marathons/short ultras (50K, 35 miles) between that and the big race. Enter directly. Enjoy!
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Johnny it's normal to have periods where there's a wobble in motivation and training just don't give up. Having an opportunity to run Comrades means you still have a chance of finishing and finishing it is just about one of the finest things you can do for yourself.

Keep it simple and just focus on a block of consistent training for now.
  • JARJAR ✭✭
    Hey Terry - glad to hear you're on the road to recovery (you and me both!)

McHilly - hope you stay healthy! Also I saw your running track in Shanghai on Strava looks like a cool place to get some miles in.

SS - it's been ages since I've been to my daughters training grounds near you, she mainly goes during school hours or the odd match day I'll get to visit. She's started rowing seriously this year so I've been at the river more than the grounds which means I can either run or visit the local pubs (and so far it's only been the latter)
  • I wonder how the Comrades organisation respond to begging letters! If there is any chance of being allowed to run without qualifying?
    My trip to Japan for Tokyo marathon for qualification now looks in serious doubt! My intent had been to go via the UK (as was picking my brother up, and taking him for a holiday), but BA have just announced all their flights from China are cancelled until at least 1st March :-(.  So far I don't think flights to Japan are cancelled, so possible i could forget the holiday and just go direct to Japan for a long weekend, but every day more airlines are added to the list, so not feeling hopefull at the moment, and any potential events in China are of course cancelled.
    On the positive side it will be quite nice to go to Comrades, meet up with everyone, do a parkrun and not run 56 miles!!
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    McHilly - really sorry to hear of your problems. No idea about Comrades. They did let Lowrez in one year on a 100 miler outside the qualifying period I think?? Possibly try direct to Japan if that's still happening in a months time just for the qualifier although your brother will be sad and obviously a shame not to see him. If they cancel flights to Japan would they also cancel them to Korea and Taiwan?

Becca - I've just had an email from New York Road Runners saying I need to apply for my guaranteed place soon and pay. I already paid approximately £120 when I entered the strava challenge and assumed that was it. Did you have to do that?
  • SS - At the moment I just have to wait and see. my passport is currently with authorities for visa processing, and with new year having been extended, not expecting to get it back until approx 15th, will just have to see nearer the time what options there might be!
    Good luck sorting your New York entry out, hope that goes well
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Hi Snail, yes I think they sting you again.  I've found an eye-watering receipt from January 2019.  They don't miss a trick and £120 would have been a bargain.

I hope it works out for you McH.
  • Ha ha I'll just go with it then!! And I won't check how much the original price was in case it was more!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Dang McH, I think you might be in a catch 22 unless you take immediate action to exit China now; it looks like most countries are imposing a 2 week containment period on arrival out of the country depending what canton you came from; is Tokyo on 1st March? My accepted race was done within the qualifying window that year. You do have up till the beginning of May to qualify, things may ease by then, you should keep up your efforts to stay fit in the expectation you can run something somewhere to qualify. I hope things settle enough for your original Tokyo plans to fall into place.

Becca! Wow! Thanks for your donation to 777, fantastic!

New York, New York, so good they charged it twice!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It was dentist for me late Tuesday to have a filling replaced; silver out, white in, not just cosmetic, it needed doing - when they discovered I was Antarctic bound they said it would be more sensible to put silver back in as white conducts heat much less delicately and I might find it very sensitive - I made them put white in - ha ha.

Then Wednesday morning it was physio, they put me in the gymnasium! On two different rocker boards, bloody hell they are almost impossible to keep steady, but so damned good for legs, core and posture; just ordered one from Amazon, plus they want me to do single leg squats, step ups, lunges - ha ha - finally a set of strengthening exercises! The recent problem with my back seems to be behind me (snigger), whilst I can still feel a degree of "strangeness", not actual pain, they explained that I need to keep taking my back gently through a full range of motion. Gently! And not shy away from movement. Resting it in fear that it might react badly is not a good option, it needs to go through minor stress to strengthen etc, which was why they were chucking me in the gym!

Last Thursday I saw my masseuse and she worked almost exclusively on my left upper thigh and lower back, wow my IT band was like concrete, I think this had been a big contributory cause of the hip to thigh tendon jabbing me with pain and taking a week to recover each time a few weeks back, so I am going back for a similar session today.

Then with all that help I think I will have set me bones up as best I can for the 777!

Geronimo!
  • Hey lowrez, donation made, good luck with 777. See you in Dubai! And anything you need let me know.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Lowrez - have an awesome trip.  Looking forward to the reports! Good to note your progress with the physio.
    McH - really bad luck with your preparations.  Hope you find a fix.  I expect there must be others in a similar situation.
    SS - 'enjoy' Devon if that is the right word.  Looks a tough event.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Have a safe and amazing trip lowrez. Will be thinking of you and following your progress.

McH - Don't give up hope. You still have until May, hopefully the situation sorts itself out by then.

Louise - welcome aboard. You won't regret it one bit.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Dubai, Mac, Marty - wow! Thanks for your donations - I will do my best to get my company to double donate on top of all these so £1 will become £3!

Massage went well today, my left side was way better, so much so that the right got more attention this time.

There is no wifi on the plane so I am going to be dependent on airports and cafes to report in but I will do my best whenever I get the chance.

Dubai, I will be transiting through on Sunday arriving on EK20 and leaving on EK770 on the way in to Cape Town - crazy that I will be back there a week later to run having done Antarctica, Africa and Australia!

Bios have finally been published!
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Lowrez: safe travels and safe running.  I was chatting with a colleague in the US yesterday who told me his brother in law is also doing the 777.  Small world.
  • Lowrez - have an amazing adventure. Glad your injuries are feeling a bit better