2020 in 2020

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Training

Resolution time! Who is up for the 2020 in 2020 challenge! Will you go for 2020 miles, or like me will 2020k be the target?

Over the last few years as we have risen to the challenge of 2014 in 2014 up to 2019 in 2019, my trivia knowledge has improved enormously with interesting facts posted matching either the number left or the number completed. Look back at the previous threads for ideas.

On a personal note I am shortly to turn 66 and have managed the challenge most years. If I can do it, you can! A bit of a close shave in 2014 but the challenge was a major motivator in keeping the training going. You will hopefully find the thread a positive support! All are most welcome!

For some reason the thread posted twice, so here is more detail: 

So, to put some figures on the 2020 in 2020 challenge:

To achieve 2020 kms, or miles, you would need to average 5.52 kilometres or miles a day for the 366 days: that’s right, we get an extra day in 2020! That averages out a 38.64  per week, which converting from kilometres is 24.1 miles a week.

If you work in kms, like I do, you need to average 8.89k a day or 62.18k per week to achieve the 2020 miles.

On average about 168.3k or miles per month!

2020 miles is 3249.27k; 2020k is 1255.17 miles

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi alehouse funny enough I'm going for 2020k! 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    In a personal note, I'm 61 and a streak runner, approaching 3rd tomorrow!! 
  • Hope you read the detail above Wabo...well done on three years of streaking (assuming you run tomorrow) and keep me going on the challenge...and I will try to do the same!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi alehouse, I'm back again! Definitely going for 2020, just not decided which measurement. Having finished 2019 much fitter and healthier than I started it I am aiming for a brilliant year. First run will be NYD.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I have read it now cheers alehouse
  • Just moving this thread higher up! 
    Ignore the other one of the same title!
    See you in 2020!
  • I’m back in, going for 2020 miles. Hopefully with 2 ultras in South Africa - comrades and two oceans - I can achieve the target.

• First run of the decade, 9.27 miles so 2010.73 miles to go

In 2010
    The Burj Khalifa is officially opened - still the tallest building in the world at 2722ft. I watched the amazing firework display there and along the coast of Dubai last night from the roof of my villa.
  • And first run of the here also: just over 8k including a parkrun.

Interesting and personal fact, DR! I'm not good with heights though!

2012 to go, and the 2012 Olympics seem a long way away: managed to attend a few sports including the athletics.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    First run done here too. Just set a bike and swim target for the year also!

Going to count down in km then see how far I get with the miles. So 11.5 km, 2009 to go.

Bill Stone died, he was a sailor who served in both the first and second world wars, as my granddad used to say, the 'lucky generation' (as he too served in both).
  • 20.65k done over the three days, so 1999.35 to go.

1999:  the millennium bug was the most important thing on most companies minds and there was a fear that many industries and government functions could stop working at 12:00 AM, January 1st , 2000. 
  • 28.4 miles done so 1991.6 to go

In 1991
    The first Gulf war 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Short week this week! 

40.7 km I am going to keep to whole numbers but keep a record of the part km, I didn't do that last year.

1980 the year the rubric cube arrived. 
  • Hi all, 65 miles done so just 1955 to go

in 1955

Winston Churchill resigns as PM due to ill health and Anthony Eden takes over 
  • 57 k completed, so 1963 to go. 

In 1963 Leicester City reached the FA cup final. Although my grandparents could get me a ticket and they were going to take me, my parents said I was too young to attend. Still not been to a final!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I'll give it a go, I'm already aiming for 2000 so why not. Logged 89 miles so far. 1931 to go. The Vic Wells Ballet, forerunner of the Royal Ballet, debuted in London. My mother, who made theatrical costumes, worked for the Royal Ballet in the 1980s.
  • Good to see you on here, Cal! If you are aiming for 2000 then 2020 is definitely possible! And am sure there are a few others you can encourage to join us!
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hello all, alehouse good to see you logging the miles again and welcome Cal in this thread. 

99 km done so 1921 to go.

In 1921 the first birth control clinic was opened. 
  • Thanks TT! And you seem to be going well!

69k completed, so 1951 to go.

1951: The Festival of Britain gave people the opportunity to experience new science and technology as well as have fun after years of austerity.
  • Welcome Cal!!

91 miles done so 1929 to go

In 1929
    The first appearance of Herge's Tintin in Tintin in the land of the Soviets

I was a huge fan as a kid 
  • 120 miles done, 1900 to go

in 1900
    Germany’s most successful football club, FC Bayern is founded in Munich.
  • 135 done, 1885 to go.

On June 17th (my birthday, although not that year, I'm not that bloody old), the Statue of Liberty arrived in New York.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    156.6 km done, 1865 to go! 

In 1865 the first Wisden was published, a book I often dive into for a few interesting hours. 
  • Dubai marathon today

155 miles done, 1865 to go.

In 1865
    See above!!!!!

And Henri Desgrange the founder of the Tour de France was born - I've been fascinated with it ever since my countryman Stephen Roche won it in 1987.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Not been the best week, norovirus struck! Managed three runs then, well no-one needs details!

213.43km

In 1907 it was the first ball drop in Times Square. 
  • TT: I think you have 1807 to go!

Not good here either: back problems again so only 103k completed. And not much sign of improvement.

1917 to go: 1917 is the latest Sam Mendes film, released only a couple of weeks ago.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Morning all.  After my drop off the challenge last year, I'm tentatively back in for this year's mileage challenge.  I scraped past the 2018 challenge so hoping I can get back to that this year.

162 miles done, so a reasonable start to the year including the NYD parkrun double (new events for me), plus Marrakech marathon on the weekend just gone.  Hopefully we can all be consistent this year, and that all our niggles and ailments go away!

1858 to go.  In 1858, the first GPO wall-mounted post boxes were put into place and agreed for general adoption.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thanks Alehouse, brain completely not working!

Welcome back Big_G, good to see you here.

Let's try again: 1807 England abolished slavery. 
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. Been having a nosy at the stats here for a bit, so felt I should say hello. Slightly slower start to the year than I had planned, so think I'll aim for 2020km, though it'll be a bit annoying converting all my distances to km. 

153km done

In 1867 America buys Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million
  • Good to see you on here, Chamolk!

As you know I have been struggling with my back so only 106k completed: 1914 saw the assassination of Duke Franz Ferdinand and the outbreak of the First World War.