Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Afternoon all,

Happy Birthday Columba

Dave:

Fab report very entertaining.Strangely my Achilles shivered and said nope not for us I so agree.Whilst I loved XC pre achilles fell running nope I shall stick to road running! :)

Torque:

Ah the immortal words of KK how can we ever forget them :)  Are we tlking about the same team?? I may have to watch a game......

Refreshments sound just the ticket:-)

I can report after 5 days not putting myself outside the door I have escaped and finally felt well enough to run just 4 miles, it took half a mile for legs to agree and knuckle under and behave.Av HR up maybe 10 beats per mile it usually takes a few days to come back down.Garmintrude told me 33 hours to recover from easy run!! o ill effects so I can build up mind you a 10 mile race in 11 days!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Great report Birch!

Well done on getting out there, TS: you sound pretty well back to good health! Wish I could say the same...

So, what would Ron do immediately sprung to mind. Run, of course is the correct answer, although nearly didn't happen. For a couple of weeks I have had a very painful back; by the end of parkrun (did take it easy, around 26:30 I think) I was in a fair amount of pain. After stretches and a short run on Sunday it was worse. Monday morning saw me at A&E for 6 a.m. A mistake as no doctors available except for dire emergencies until 8. I was, of course, concerned that I had fractured something again, having had two fractures in the last two years. X-ray revealed nothing. Advised to keep warm and stretch. Painful short run. Yesterday saw physio and we did lots of stretches, not least on the legs as well as the upper body. Whilst I couldn't do some of them due to pain I did go from not being able to get my hands past my knees when trying to touch my toes to actually being able to almost get my hands on the floor, which I can do normally. She sent me for a short run which was slightly less painful, and certainly less painful than today, which shows how valuable stretching can be. Keeping it warm and stretching where possible. Spiky ball being dug into the area also. Not sure how long it will be before normal running is resumed!

And come on Leicester! I note Newcastle's spirited recovery yesterday.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ale:

Sorry to hear about back issues but sounds like you need to stretch a lot! I hope you are back to full strength soon.

I got out for 7 miles this morning but Garmintrude died after 5 miles she had run out of juice my own fault with being ill no need to charge here and I just plan forgot. Av heart down by 4 beats per mile for the data I have .
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Alehouse, not great news about your back but I guess the absence of a fracture is a positive. Looks like the physio was able to help so hopefully a few more sessions and your own stretches will have you on the mend.

Welshpoppy, good luck with your upcoming 10 miler.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poppy - excellent 7 - and nicely over the bug, in time to focus on your race  . . .   

TS - good double in < 24 hours - hope the quads are now less "shredded" . . .    

alehouse - blimey, can understand your concern prior to the positive x-ray;  as you say, let's hope normal running not too far away   

. . and . .  a very timely post, as I had a really bad bout of CNBA today, but remembered your "what would Ron do" line , and this got me out the door at 5pm, for what was, at that time, a necessarily dark and urban run, but 7.8 satisfying miles now in the book. 
    Thanks !!  

Dave
  • Glad to be of service, Birch! The difficult bit is often getting out the door! Glad you did!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse
    crikey that sounded serious - pleased it turned out to be less so.
    Is it a neural pain from the spine being reflected into the lower back area?  It sound uncomfortably like the early symptoms I had at the onset of my back problems years ago. Hope not!!!!

very impressive display from Leicester  despite losing Vardy.  Wish Perez was still in black and white!!

Welshpoppy
    I thought you had a cat for a moment that had died "Garmintrude" sounds like a cat name :)
    Actually you can taper down now for your 10 mile race - you won't get any faster over the final week.

Dave
    the thing about running from home is that there is very little barrier to doing it - so you have to be seriously CBA not to go out - there are no excuses - so well done on rousing yourself and doing a very good 7.8 miles

I walked about 4 miles in London yesterday which seems to have eased the quads off a bit thanks. Still very strange that they should be so affected

Long day in London yesterday - came back home to water dripping out of a light fitting in the utility room!!!!
    Managed to find and turn off all stop cocks and stop the flow - warning - if you don't know where they are go and find them now and make sure they work - you may need them :) !!
    Waiting for plumber now

• Torque:

I hope plumber turned up pretty quickly and fixed leak.I know where my stopcock is just the one I have to pull the oven out as in a strange place!

I am Tapering :) ....... 4.75 approx Garmintrude issues she froze at 4.5miles and stayed frozen on HR screen had to read about a soft reset which worked lots all steps, active calories,HR details but it saved the run to where it froze so that was good.Time was an hour behind but I locked on to statelites and it changed...PHEW.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    You may want to try and delete some of your recorded runs. When the memory starts to fill up garmin starts to delete some of the lap data of existing recorded runs which can lead to an attack of the funnies. Good luck with the 10 miler.

TS,
    I love those types of leaks, usually means cutting a hole in the ceiling to get at it. I have become a dab hand at repairing ceilings. Plumbers usually make a mess but fix the leak and leave you to clean up.

Another big storm so indoors again today, but I did get outside for an easy 7k yesterday.
    Today's effort was a 4 x 1k  with 500m recovery. I ran at a 5:36 / km pace which felt good. 

Red line a bit on the last one but only just. Again would like to have seen a stronger recovery between them. 

Mick
  • Thanks for the tip Mick, it never entered my head I had to do that manually I expected the watch to delete older data.I just checked it had a month's worth so have deleted it all.Imust try to remember to do it every 2 weeks to be safe.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - hope those quads have eased enough to allow running . . .   

Mick - good looking set of 1K s there  . . .   

W.Poppy -  nice taper run - enjoy the week building towards your race  . . .    

splendid weekend here - 5.4 yesterday morning, inc 2 x half mile efforts, 1 x 400m hill effort & 4 x 160m "shallow" hill in the park.  Then off to North Yorkshire (Bedale) for the Northern Counties XC Champs - very, very muddy sections on the course, so "challenging" , to say the least - was hard enough work tramping around in wellies to view at different points !  Back home for a couple of beers with my friend, then up early today for a pleasant 14.5 miles out and back along towpath (saw a heron) - met some new faces, including, to my delight, an 8 times Comrades finisher. Legs surprisingly co-operative - maybe the mud-tramping in wellies was therapeutic - and was done and dusted before the rain arrived.  Happy days !  

Dave
  • Agree with Mick about deleting old run logs on a regular basis. I put my Garmin's freezing a couple of times down to not having done that.

Dave, my club had a number of runners at Bedale. The mud would have pleased a lot of runners who seem to enjoy ploughing through the stuff. Not me. Nice long run on the towpath. I once walked right by a heron by a canal, almost close enough to touch. Normally they fly off well before then but I suppose it was used to people and wasn't too bothered. 

19 miles last week including a good tempo 5 miles.

• morning all

Yes plumber turned up.  I had turned off all the water feeds and so the leak was contained. When the new system was installed I insisted on having stop valves on the  tanked water supplies to the heating and hot water as well as the incoming main so I was able to contain the problem.
    Turned out the original plumbers had not bedded in nor sufficiently tightened the immersion heater boss on the hot water cylinder and it had worked loose with continual expansion and contraction!!
    Ceiling looks to be drying out ok as the route from the cylinder down through the spotlight was almost vertical so it didn't spread out much

Welshpoppy
    the old Garmins used to display a notice when the memory was getting full but they don't appear to do that now.
    Tapering is good :)

Mick
    nice consistent block graphs :)  On your last one the HR dropped a bit after the initial start up so you must have been conserving pace?

Dave
    That sounded a good weekend's work!! well done for keeping out of running in the mud.
    I used to really like herons until one ate all the fish in my garden pond!!

Graham
    good effort last week 

B*gger all to report from last week really.  It was the Hash annual dinner on Saturday night and I only just managed to run the 2 miles to the hotel the next morning to collect my car - I must have "eaten" too much the night before :/
    I thought the bright, breezy conditions this morning would be more condusive to running but alas I really struggled and had a couple or three walking breaks as I plodded round 4 miles - no energy at all :(

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    You may want to remove the spotlight fixing and make sure it is dried out to stop any corrosion, maybe even replace it which is very easy to do.
    The little hr blip is probably caused when I switched to the faster pace and race to catch up with the treadmill. It gets the adrenaline going.

Graham,
    Do you have any HR details you would be willing to post of your tempo run. Always interested to see where others HR is and what kind of drift you experience.

Dave,
    Do you collect any detail on your hills and interval sessions?

I workout 6 days a week including 2 resistance training sessions but why is it when I do something new I end up stiff. I had to shovel a lot of wet snow at the weekend and sure enough my back and shoulders are stiff.
    It took me 2k of my recovery run before things loosened up this morning.

Mick
  • Dave: Great sessions and a nice mud:-) great long run and to spot a heron.

Torque:

Maybe you drank a little and that made the difference on run the next day;-)

Graham:

That was a great week well done.

Mick: I always find gardening or any extra work a hazard to running!

Sunday 6 miles
    Monday 4.5 miles

Struggling with fatigue so keeping it light in miles:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick
    it's the adage - use it or lose it!!
    Particularly when you use the muscle groups in new and unusual ways - like snow shovelling :)

Saw some snow here on the way over the Pennines and back - just a light dusting though

Welshpoppy
    very admirable restraint with your comment - "drank a little"  :)

Strange Hash last night - really was a struggle at first just to move, loosened up a bit, then was passed by a big group from the local harriers club who swept by with a"runners coming through".
    "Cheeky barstewards" thought I and latched onto the latter ones who were flagging. Worked my way through the whole group over the next 250m to the front just as they finished that interval set.
    Puzzled looks on the front runners as they wondered who the heck I was as I carried on round the corner:)!

Knackered afterwards of course as I slowly finished the 4 miles we did back to an excellent repast and beer.

Could scarcely walk this morning so a gentle 2.2  miles to remind me not to be so stupid next time ...................
  • Torque:That sounds a good for the soul sort of run with the Harriers :)

I hope you have recovered from your efforts.

Tuesday i had an amazing run later in day 8.30am and I was flying or my legs where i just had to go with flow.9.55 average pace  for 4.60 miles usual pace is 10.35.It was a lot colder as well.

This morning back to usual effort 10.35 for 4.20miles.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    a good feeling day yesterday :)  Just need to find a way to bottle it!

My hash run may have been "good for the soul" as a reminder about how I could once run but it knackered the legs!

4 miles this morning in 40:13 (10:03m/m) with avHR 136 and a max of 151 so both pretty elevated still.
    I needed a small walk on the uphill in mile 4 after 2 miles at 9:30 pace - sigh :/!!
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    TS, good for you showing those runners a clean pair of heels, even if you have paid the price. I take some satisfaction that I can still beat some much younger runners, even if it happens a lot less these days.....

Welshpoppy,, great run and it's marvellous when those on really good form days come along. It's what help keep me running.

Mick, sorry, I don't do HR data although I can certainly see the benefits.

Another tempo run this morning, 5.8 miles with one significant hill. Average pace 8.53 minute miles and over a minute faster than five weeks ago so steady progress still.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    That made me laugh, TS!
    The last two Thursday evenings I have been out with the running club, as they have taken to doing a hill rep session then. I had stopped running with them because I am slower than any of the others and I don't like to keep forcing them to wait for me; but with the hill reps it doesn't matter; I keep up with them by doing fewer reps.
  • Graham: That is great news on improvement in 5 weeks well done :)

Torque:

You sound frustrated but I am sure the HR will drop and legs will be happier and running will be eaier?

hilly 4 miles this morning at 5am at an easy pace,I think they are really asleep that time of day :) 
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham
    good news on the improvement at tempo pace - that is always hard earned.
    As you say it happens less frequently - in my case a lot less frequently!

Reinforcements arriving at St James's - and not before time.  But is the club going to be sold???

Columba
    Hill intervals are hard work at any pace so well done on joining in on them.  They will improve you quite rapidly.
    One of the advantages of the Hash is that everyone is kept together by cunning devices like back arrows where one has to run back to the last person as one reaches it before resuming the trail. It can add as much as a mile to a 3-4 mile run but it keeps everyone together and finishing at roughly the same time.

Welshpoppy
    I think I would be asleep at 5am as well!!
    is your race on Saturday or Sunday?  good luck with it.

Very mild this morning - overdressed with a thin base layer and tee shirt. Plodded the same 4 miles as yesterday in 40:50 (10:15m/m) but without a walk break.  HR nearly the same at 136 and 148 despite slower pace.
    Interesting that I managed to run the last mile yesterday quicker (-30 sec) with a walk interval than running continuously today.
    When I was recovering from my spinal operation I eventually eased back into running by doing run/walk intervals of increasing ratio until I was at 9 min run/1min walk and they were quite quick overall.  I may experiment and see if I can replicate that build up
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    The view from my lounger, I know it's tough but it beats shovelling snow.

• Mick!!

I thought your post said photo fom your Lounge not lounger so expected a snow picture.Wow that looks very idylic and the water so inviting.It must be tough work  :)

Torque 
    Maybe walking/running is the way forward as you seem to do it very fast!

Not sure if I will go to race tomorrow Mr WP not well  so I shall go out and see what happens today.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick

Grrrrrrr........ :)

Welshpoppy
    hope Mr WP is recovering and you don't miss your race.

Blowing a gale here - just cleared all the branches off the lawns that had been stripped off by the wind - filled a very large rubble bag with them

Rest day today - catching up with work :(
  • I wonder if Mick is still sunning himself on that lounger :)

No race for me they also messed about and only give details of race late Saturday and I made decision early to not go it was a 2.5 hour round trip or longer.It gave me option to run Saturday 6 miles, Sunday 2 runs totally 8.6 miles,Rest day Monday as not well and 4.5 miles yesterday.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    It's getting even tougher. The resort has an island nearby and we are forced onto a boat, ferried out there, where we sit on all this white sand under a palm tree drinking all these strange concoctions. I know you would hate it so no more tortuous pics.
    I have got for a few runs along by the water but it is 26c day and night so it's tough too.
    Shame about your race.
    Mick
    By the way we have wifi on the beach so I am typing this lying on my lounger. Got to go the jailer wants to take my order.

• Mick

We would love to see photo's of this torture you discribe so we can avoid it it happens to us.Did they handcuff you to the boat and force feed you as well?
    That is way too hot for me I struggle in 20 degrees.

Wifi on the beach blimey it is tough watch you do not crack stay strong :)

6 miles yesterday but today I will have to wait as -3 degrees it may end up a rest day but if I can will get out later.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • two days in London (on business) leaves me pining for some of MIck's torture!!

Welshpoppy
    pity about the race - doesn't sound like a very good organisational set up but you are still getting the miles in so well done.

Nothing much from me - I had an attack of Dave's CBA on Sunday after a couple of miles and haven't had a chance since!!