Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Or be driven there!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's even worse!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Normally I'd agree, but having done 450miles in some whopper of a hire car a few weeks ago, over 3 days, I'm comfy with just sitting there in the back relaxed!

The stress comes with that first time you walk into a room crammed with 300 suits. Gets the social anxiety ramping like mad

• SG - just imagine them all naked. Puts things in perspective. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    SG - Just look around for another socially awkward person and go and speak to them, they will be in a corner probably obscuring their name tag in some way, if they are emaciated then you've hit the jackpot and you can just talk about running. My main technique is to turn up late so it's already started and I can just stand at the back and not have to mill around beforehand eating cold bacon sandwiches and sipping terrible tea.

Went for a run yesterday, did 3 x 1/2 a mile around some park in Bracknell, it was enough for now but I'll build on it slowly. Pace was around HMP, effort felt like 5k!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's a game of risk, as it all starts at 6.30, but you're not allowed in after it starts, for about 2hours until a break.

Plus that dangerous lotto of being the last to your table. Smart money is being 1st so you can tamper with the labels, and make sure you're front on to the stage, not the awkward back to it, having to turn your seat round.

It's a minefield son.Not to mention the midnight sleeps 3 days in a row. Very probably matching my 2019 whole year tally.

6miler this morn for me, Stevie G dun until saturday now.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Still, the quality accommodation makes up for all that :smiley:
  • SG - Networking thing or do you have to present?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Basically an awards night for the country's sales people. Im just in the team that do all the figures and analysis luckily. Way too small time to present or id be utterly producing bricks!

My last one as won't be in this job from a week's time.

Lasted til about 11.20..which is pansy by most people there standards. But then most weren't up at 6am running. That's my excuse!
    Tough gig though when you don't drink or dance as from 11 on it's basically the two when the awards finish!
  • I think you need the drink to enable the dancing, personally it's rare I can manage to drink the requisite amount. If you're against drinking, you could always take up drugs. People rave about ecstasy.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Last big event in current job = give them something to remember you buy.  Be forever recalled as "that guy who rubbed his cock in the face of the East Anglia Regional Co-ordinator".
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I wandered off at about 11.20, for a bit of "get a bit of space" - lay on the bed, and erm..just never came back to the main bit.

No problem though, being about 50metres from the DJ set place meant hours of throbbing music to be enjoyed.
  • Dachs :smile: How long since your last post???
  • Oh, and just entered Staines 10k.....(there's gotta be a Staines/Herbert's Hole double header there somewhere....)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Was just about to to Staines but thought i best check when the masters relays is...

Day before! Dagnabbit.
    Only a 3mile leg, but probs not wise. For anyone bar Pete 😕
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Probably about 6 months Bus. I thought I'd just slide back into the conversation as if I'd never been away. 

I have also entered Staines. Entered last year but DNS as they removed some of my innards.
  • Dagnabbit SG????

Dachs - try and keep your innards in this year.....
    Are you doing Wokingham?

Saturday LSR today, and 13 miles felt a bit short compared to recent efforts :smile: Nice, mild and sunny, but a fierce old wind at times and always a head wind of course!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Bus

Im at Chichester 10k tomorrow (for a wind beating), so did sundays easy run today and will do something like 3m, 10k, 7m tomorrow to bring up the scheduled 16m.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Was just about to to Staines but thought i best check when the masters relays is...

Day before! Dagnabbit.
    Only a 3mile leg, but probs not wise. For anyone bar Pete 😕
    keep up SG; Jools is the man for multiple races and his are often on the same day ;)

Just 1 outing for me this weekend and went off to Hanworth parkrun in West London, which is well known for having the fewest runners of any local one most weeks. Delivered again in that regard with only 69 and, as both my daughters went this week, we were 4% of the field (more if you count the older ones' dog :) ). Standard of runner was nicely modest too and managed a 1st place for my distinctly average 19'32. Course was flat, but very muddy and slippy in places and the wind pretty strong as it is all exposed there, so reasonably happy all in.  Teenage daughter did very well to be 2nd female in 24'xx and only caught late on for 1st to deprive us of a family double! Older one (Cani x 'ing) also getting into it with a 27'xx but now on hols for 3 weeks (alright for some). 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Chichester 10k, the wind was there but i didnt notice it as much when we were racing (i did 3 extra laps of the motor cct and it felt like it was howling then). 3m, 10k, 8m for me. 36.31 for the 10k, thought it might be a bit more of an improvement over stubbingtons 37.04 as i wore the 4% rather than the stubbington flynits (maybe theres not much in it over 10k), maybe the wind levelled it out......anyway a good blow out, just about stopped myself blowing out (chunks) in the finish shute. 5.52 miling means the sub 80 is coming. Surprisingly 4th M50 for me in a masters qualifier.
  • Nice time TR - big confidence booster that!

Good work all the M's at Hanworth then :smile:  We don't need to worry about the V50 prize at Staines Pete. Ben Martin-Dye is on the entry list and he did 36:32 on a lumpy Egham course (would be good to see TR v BM-D then :smiley:).

Wanted some sort of speed work today, as I've done none this week, but it was going to be tough after LSR yesterday. In the end I did some sort of hybrid thing! Off-road, but with a hard hill effort thrown in and 5x ca.200m sprints at the end in around 36 secs each.  Most importantly, it just took me over the 50M for the week :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

You sure that race is lumpy Bus? BMD tends to pick the quick flat races, often with pot hunting capability - all the time pretending he's "tired" and "finished", and then puts in a quality time like that :D

I think going for a half marathon, you can probably get away with 1 session a week being properly solid, and the other one being more freestyled/mixed up at times.

Long run is the utter key!

5th 15miler of the campaign for me, 7.00 average.

Pleased with that, on my hilliest variation route. And a decent consistency in these 15, with the last 3 being 6.59,6.59, 7.00!

Woke up a bit tired, and it's been a packed week of late nights - plus some light hill reps yesterday.

Very relaxed week seeing out the last of my notice - so up for a big week hopefully.

Good time TR, 30secs is a huge improvement over 10k - how much were you expecting!!

Like BMD in the mid 36s, I wouldn't want to commit to being able to do quicker myself to be honest!

A well known local maniac of a runner did an 8mile tempo today on strava….

He wrote something like "strong start and finish, but tailed off between 2-7miles"

Just :D

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Bus - you are obviously getting fitter/stronger to be able to fo that 2 days.

SG - 15m av 7.00 is pretty sharp. I would expect to be approx 30sec quicker at Chichester than Stubbington, although today was pretty blowy, so might be worth a bit more. Level was outrageous today, i ran 1m 28s faster than last yr and was one place lower (163rd) on a slower day conditions wise.........have to remember that im in mara training too i suppose. I did the P and D week as scheduled and just swapped todays easy run to yday.
  • TR - Yes course record in that wind yesterday. I know Goolab is running well, but even still!
  • Pete - sounds like a nice family affair at Hanworth & congrats on the first place token.

SG - Enjoyed updated from the conference on FB. Tidy 15, things coming along very nicely.

Had a pretty solid weekends training, starting to feel fitter, especially on the bike. It's just a shame running races aren't decided by how good a cyclist you are  :D

Up early Saturday to squeeze in my bike session before parkrun. 4 x 10 min efforts, 1 hour total. Then a progressive run straight off, finished feeling really strong, 19:18 at parkrun and 13.1 miles in 1:30. An easy swim in the afternoon loosened up the legs nicely.

Similar story Sunday, harder 2 hour bike before a 40 min run off, with some strides. We then went for a nice 'walk', 11 miles around Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park. Legs had that tingly feeling by the end of the day.

Was slightly dreading this mornings swim, thought I'd be cooked, but had my best one in months, 3.6km feeling nice and smooth, half-decent pace. All in all, looking ok.

We're fortunate enough to be swanning off to SA on Wednesday night for a long overdue holiday. Might have found a half marathon to enter and of course they've got parkrun ;)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Good time TR. I noticed a chap local to my village ran 30:00 which looks to be a PB so perhaps conditions were not wholly unfavourable. That wind might have cost him 1 second though!

I didn't really notice the wind on my 12 miler Saturday. I planned further but I decided to squeeze my run in after dropping my daughter at a party in Henley, which only gave me 90 minutes or so. Ran from Henley up Pishill which is the longest continuous climb in the UK, weirdly. Annoyingly I didn't have enough time to get to the top. Most the way it's about 1-2 % incline but a great out and back as it's downhill the whole way back. Downside is a few cars trying to kill you as it's all road. 6:58 average was due in part to me panicking that the party would finish early and she'd be stuck there waiting for me.

A couple of hours cycling indoors watching England lose to the Frogs on Sunday made for a reasonable weekend effort.

I remember running the O2O Reading 10k once and BMD was racing, at end he was seemingly almost dead at the finish and I remember thinking to myself that I don't try hard enough!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Joe - you and Katie must make other sporty people feel lazy, so goodness knows what any non sport types you know think! That's a classic JB set of work!

Reg - I can see it both sides. I sometimes feel I'm at a comfy hard pace in races, rather than rinsing it - not sure I have that in my locker.
    But then I've finished some XC races, looking utterly annihilated for a fairly modest effort!

Bit of tight leggery this morn, but 6 came off 7.11 ish.
    Oddly, despite not caring about pace and just feeling like cruising it out, at times it was sub 7 and it was a bit of a headscratcher.
  • Good training there folks - Decent 10k at Chichester TR too. And the return of Dachs! wow.

Quiet weekend - ran around Gt Denham Parkrun with the kid, pretty breezy so he was a minute down on his best in 24.30 odd. Then went over to the Bedford track to do the track session I missed last week (16 x 400 off 60 secs). It was windy down the back straight so was a tough session. Decided to walk 30 secs and jog 30 to move the start point 100m on each rep. Started off on a horrible 73 and averaged about 70/71's, only squeezing out a 68 for the last one. Felt very tired at the end.

Heavy legged 12 or so yesterday morning, felt quite heavy this morning too. Thinking I may not have been 100% at the Southerns and it's really twatted me. Hopefully i'll perk up a bit in the week.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - your neighbour is quick ! Wind was noticeable enough for him to claim 1sec.

Simon - i saw a few twitter rumbling re someone having been vapoflyed yday. But the justification was that the top few are actually very fast. I guess the shoes are worth 30sec over 10k ? Probably not as helpful as they are over longer distanes?
  • TR - I only know him as someone that stole a load of my Strava CRs! Think he moved away after Uni and so it's only Christmas and Easter the remaining ones are under threat!