London 2020

Comments

• Why not just send you’re in magazine to the successful people and emails to those that didn’t make it? Would save a lot of time and money as well as a lot of paper
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Probably because the mags are plastered with charity ads which they are promoting to the disappointed majority.
  • RichNRichN ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Morning, my real buzz registration page has been updated since yesterday. And its a yes. I have a bib number and a link to make payment. No magazine yet.

Shocked as that is my 3rd acceptance in 5 ballot applications over the last 7 years. I know, incredibly lucky but shows its random. Hopefully I can keep my London improvement curve up 4:37 - 3:13 - hopefully sub 3 with some luck. 

Now do i double up and do Seville in February as planned on the expected VLM rejection or not...
  • > @portlanders said:
    > I heard they are testing, someone reported seeing a bib number, then next day it had gone. 
    > (Image)

I found out this morning that I got a ballot place, and interestingly, the number that appeared as part of the test reappeared this morning (the same number)...followed by a congratulations email...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    That is an incredible return on ballot entries RichN, and equally impressive performance progress!! What you need is to get to gfa level then you don't have to worry about the ballot.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done RichN!  That's a great return on the ballot.  I think do Saville as well as there's plenty of time between the two events.
  • Wardi your right both magazines are the same inside just full of charities not even got the training chart in there like last years
  • Never even received a magazine, just got an email saying I missed out.

Have applied for a couple of charity places, how long has it traditionally taken people to receive word back from them?
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Not sure, depends on the charity, but they may have their own ballot, more of an auction really, and whoever pledges the most funds raised will get the place - I should imagine it starts at about £2000, so Good Luck with that.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

When I first did London in 2014 I ran for VICTA. They 'only' required £1500 to be raised and the process was pretty straightforward and my acceptance was within 24 hours.

I hadn't actually heard of them prior but they are a great charity. After the event there was a good post race reception just off the Mall with massage tables, unlimited buffet and drinks (including beer/wine). Have a look at them;

https://www.victa.org.uk/event/london-marathon-2020/

• Just some advice, received no magazine or message from realbuzz so assumed it was a big no from London Marathon. Yesterday received email reminding me that I hadn’t paid for my place and had until 11/11, thinking this maybe a scam, I called the help line today and they confirmed I did have a place ( first time entry) but confirmed that others have had this problem, Check your spam/junk mail!
  • Hello previous VLM survivors, good to see you all here again.

For the newbies and first time VLM'ers I have joined this forum to simply offer my help in clarifying things about the VLM from my experience of it as a runner, fun runner, and pacer.  I am always open to learning from others and take criticism as a gift - at worst, I will agree to disagree.

As part of my innate desire to help others, I offer some accompanied runs along the VLM course I am very familiar with.

In December, January, February and March, I also take first time London Marathon runners on course familiarisation runs of 7 miles, 14 miles and 20 miles at a slow pace (12 minute miles) along the actual marathon course.  These are from Cutty Sark to halfway line, from Tower bridge to the finish line and from Cutty Sark to the finish line respectively.  There is no charge for these familiarisation runs but I do expect to be fed with a Big Mac Meal at the end of the run.  Alternatively I can signpost a charity of my choice where donations of £5 can be made online.

The first of these familiarisation runs will be on Sunday 1 December when we meet at Cutty Sark DLR station at 10:00 am and after waiting 15 minutes for those who are late we start at 10:15 latest.  This gives enough time to use the loos at the McDonalds next to the station.

I plan to run the successive runs in mid January, mid February and late March to coincide with what I feel ought to be your progressively longer training runs.

I end with the acknowledgement that most people are better runners than me and have their own take on what running and running marathons ought to be, I only offer my opinion based on my limited experience but not advice.

So, if anyone is interested in joining me on Sunday 1 December, just let me know on this forum.
  • DT19,

You are right, VICTA is a great charity (as they all are), I have got my clubmates to run for them and myself too as a Guide Runner for Louise Simpson (double Paralympian for GB).
  • Hello Harmander, nice to hear from you again - silly question, but will you be pacing again next year?
    It was my first London experience this year, and yep, managed to get a place to run again next year - hopefully this time my training won't be ruined by injury and i'll also run without a hernia!! 
    My autumn races have gone well, finally managed to enter a HM, 3 in fact, so got that ticked off my list - learnt a lot about resting and listening to my body more... looking forward to the training. 
  • Dear Portlanders,

Thank you for your greeting.  The Runners World/New Balance Pacers have yet to be announced so fingers crossed but hopefully very soon.

I have managed to stay in shape with 17 marathons, 2 Ultras and four half marathons so far this year - I have another two marathons planned before Christmas but may have to excuse myself for the one on 8 December. I managed to get my six star Marathon Majors medal after completing the Tokyo Marathon in March.

Glad you enjoyed London and wish you a trouble free training - forever.

I was injured for three of the marathons I was pacing this year but managed to do the even splits and come in with seconds to spare - in one case I was just 2 seconds under - phew!!!

See you at the Expo hopefully.
  • Wow! impressive as ever Harmander, and thank you for your wishes. 

I won't get to the expo till Saturday, hopefully you'll be there on that day.

40th Anniversary this time around, and will be a new medal shape i believe, can't wait.

• Just excited to hear I have VLM Pacer place again - Yippeee

As for the pace time - don't ask, I am just grateful to help slower runners.

Red Start so with the best of the best (Charity runners are the best because they put themselves through it for others) - no offence intended, just my thought.
  • Fantastic news Harmander, congratulations. 
    If i miss you at the expo i'll hopefully catch you in the Red Start. I was in Green Start this year, I imagine Red is much larger though. I'll be in a different wave as hoping for that sub 4hr next year. 
    Congratulations again.. Legend. 
  • Thank you Portlanders,
    Yes, even though it will be my 36th consecutive London, I still get a buzz when I know I am going to be a part of it - just as much I did the very first time.
    IF I am lucky to be selected as a pacer again in 2021, I will make a plea to start from Green - been there three times but never as a pacer.
  • Hi, could I ask some advice please?

It's my first time at VLM and I'll be travelling down from Manchester. I'm currently trying to look for some accommodation that is easy to get to both the start and finish. Does anyone have any tips? 

Also, I notice there are different tube stops depending on which start pen you are in. I've put a predicted time of 3hr 30 so does anybody know which pen l am likely to be in?

Thanks in advance!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    You are better off staying in central London as there are free trains to the start from Victoria, Waterloo, London Bridge, Cannon Street and Charing Cross depending which start you are on - you will get this info in your final instructions.  Try and get a hotel reasonably close to one of these stations so you can walk there on race morning - the least amount of stress the better!  Please note these are overland trains, not tubes.
    I was in the 3:30 pen on the blue start last year and it took about 6-7 minutes to get across the start line.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The best place i stayed was the premier inn hub on chancery lane. Easy walk to Charring cross where there are lots of trains to any start then a short stroll across Trafalgar square from the finish.

Now my family come down we stay at the premier inn in Holborn so 20 min stroll to charing cross then after a few pints on Chancery Lane post race, about £8 taxi back or 15 minute walk. 

The train stops are based on your  start  as opposed to your pen, red, green or blue. The same train from charing cross gets you to all 3, albeit with a change somewhere on the journey for one of the starts. 
  • TBH the 3 start zones are only 5 minutes' walk apart. On marathon morning, everyone will be going to the same place, so don't worry about finding your way. Personal preference, but I would suggest staying nearer the finish line than the start, you'll be tired afterwards and the closer the better. If you travel down by train and come into Euston, somewhere around Russell Square / Holborn could work well. Tube to Bank then DLR to start line. I always stay at the Imperial at Russell Square, perfect location for me.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Rodeoflip, I should look at the tube really. I walk straight passed Holborn station at the start of my 20 ish minute walk to Charring Cross. It's almost certainly going to be quicker to get to Bank then work it from there.

You mention get on the DLR, would that be to Greenwich? That would potentially be much quicker than me walking to Charring cross, then 25 mins on the train.

• I'm doing the same as last year as it worked so well. 
    I come in on train into Paddington, so i stay in a hotel there - only £65 for the night, as i only stay the Sat night. 
    Journey to the start takes about 50mins on tube and DLR i think it was. I leave my overnight bags at the hotel as i travel alone. 
    Less than 15mins from the finish back to the hotel to collect my bags, then on the train home.
    I certainly appreciated being closer to the finish and to the train home, then to the start.  
    I was also able to drop my bags at the hotel when I arrived in London so no carting them across city, simply drop off and head on to the expo. 
  • Hi. Can anyone give me some advice. I have a ballot place for London but my husband has a charity place. What are the chances of us starting in the same pen? I understand we can move back zones if same start area but not move different starts. 
    Also when do we find out our start pens and zones or do you have to wait until the expo?
    We would love to run together but need to get our heads round the fact that we might not be able to if that looks likely. 
    Don't really want to try meet up at mile 3 as neither of us wants to stop and wait around once we have got going and I suppose it's highly unlikely that we will get to mile 3 at the same time. 
    Any advice or help is much appreciated thanks
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hi Lucy.. charity places are normally on the red start, ballot places on the blue start.   There is next to no chance that you will be able to change starts.  You could try and arrange to meet at a pre-arranged mile marker but I would not recommend it as the race is so crowded and chaotic - you might start at 10.30, your husband at 10:50 or vice versa.  You find out your pen number via a sticker on your race number that you pick up on registration (with your chip) at the Expo.  Just to give you an idea I was in the sub 3:30 pen last year and it took me nearly 7 minutes to cross the start line.  Imagine how long it must take for 4/4:30/5hr runners!  My advice.. when my wife & me ran in the same year we ran our own races/paces and it gave us more to talk about after the race.  Everyone is so friendly on every start so don't think you will be on your own in any respect. 
    Important.. getting a phone signal in the finish area is almost impossible unless you are finishing in sub 3:30.  Don't rely on this, arrange a pub or place to meet afterwards as your finish times could be vastly different.  Congratulations on the ballot place, they are like gold dust!            
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    You will know in late march when final instructions are issued what colour start you are on. 

As Wardi says, the scale of the event is enormous so you have to just go with what you're given. 
  • Lucy,

I have been a pacer at the VLM for several years now  and get asked the same question regularly.

Wardi and DT19 are totally correct.

The different starts take different times to even get to the start line from the same pen numbers - this is because the numbers of runners at each start (Green is best as even those at the back take less than ten minutes).  Blue start has a much clearer run to the start line but I have experienced this to range from 20 minutes to nearly 35 minutes and this was as a sub 5 hour pacer.  Last year as a 5:45 pacer from the Red start it took me nearly 50 minutes but this may also be due to the bottleneck of the narrow park gates you go through unless you are in pen 1.
    This year I may no longer look as clean shaven by the time I get to the start line as the 6 hour pacer.

As a guide, here are the start pen times and are based on the fib people have told on the application form about their expected finish time.

I would agree with others who feel it wrong to attempt to promote themselves up the pen ladder by saying they will finish in a much quicker time as within 400m of the start they will slow down and clog up the route for those genuinely faster runners - just like at parkruns.

Pen 1   sub3

Pen 2   3 - 3:14:59

Pen 3   3:15 - 3:29:59

Pen 4   3:30 -3:44:59

Pen 5   3:45 – 3:59

Pen 6   4:00 – 4:14:59

Pen 7   4:15 – 4:29:59

Pen 8   4:30 - 4:59

Pen 9   5:00 and up.