Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Muddy - yes I am, but I'll be really slow!
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

6mls last night with 4mls at 8.26 pace. Out later for my lsr as i have stuff on tomorrow.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

• Options

Another 10 miles survived for me last night.

Any races planned Kevin70?

Cupar is nearly 150 miles from Carlisle so I won't be lining up against Lit. In November I had planned to do a 10k race this weekend but entries closed about 3 weeks ago as full. Having run 10 miles last night the website has now announced they will be accepting entries on the day but don't think I'll bother and try and build some fitness for a more serious attempt at something in late March/early April.

• Options
    Well done Skinny. 10 miles for me last night too in a prancely 1 hr 15. Felt like a real slog for some reason. Some kids thought they'd like to race me and ran alongside for a bit in their puffer jackets.

That's a decent run after a big day the day before Kevin. Are you anyway near the Cupar 5 ;) ? Lit wants to race you :D
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, that is a decent option in Derby, though I did have my eye on the 10m again with the possibility of doing the 5m race that Muddy won whilst doing a 10m race in December. Looking at the results, most years i'd be in with a chance of a prize.

Well done on the 10m, Skinny. Good to see you making some longer term plans.

Enjoy the LSR, Kevin and well done on last nights effort.

Were they having to spring to keep up with you, Muddy, Like when you see people trying to chase the marathon elites?

Easy 5 yesterday then my usual Friday tempo over lunchtime. 11m in total with 9 at training mara hr. Came out 6.33 which was exactly same as last week. HR was slightly higher than last weeks 160, coming in at 162. Essentially there was a 20mph plus wind blowing straight off the Severn and I was either straight into a head wind or with a tailwind. I failed to properly balance the effort in both scenarios which led to the HR creeping up a bit.

Gives me 208 for the month so definitely in marathon training territory now.

• Options
     DT19 said:

Gives me 208 for the month so definitely in marathon training territory now.

Haha 41 for the month for me :#

But follows 72 for December and 59 in November which is 172 for last quarter.

Way off serious training but 3 months on the trot where I've run over 10 miles a week on average. See if I can progress to over 250 in next quarter.

• Options

Skinny, another 10 mile run, going in the right direction, I have the Manchester marathon in April nothing before that. Don't do many races but happy with my runs over the past couple of months, just need a bit of confidence on race days.

Muddy, i'm in Glasgow but not planning doing a trip the Cupar 5, Lit would be home eating her lunch by the time I finish :)

DT another quality session and mileage, marathon training well underway.

20 mls on Friday at 9.51 avg pace, felt ok but as you do when running round having doubts about marathon pace and what that is, any advice :/

• Options

In November I had planned to do a 10k race this weekend but entries closed about 3 weeks ago as full. Having run 10 miles last night the website has now announced they will be accepting entries on the day but don't think I'll bother and try and build some fitness for a more serious attempt at something in late March/early April.

Haha - even when I was writing this I knew....

40:41 - faded badly the last km but lacked a bit of motivation to go to the well for a 40:25.
  • Options
    Well done Skinny - was that you not bothering?

Kevin - I always find it much easier to predict likely marathon paces if I've done a few other shorter races as part of the build up. I'd be wanting to put a couple of short races or parkruns and a half marathon in there somewhere to get a better sense of my fitness, and also a bit more practice of racing.
  • Options
    Haha yes - when I was cutting my hair and toenails on Saturday afternoon I knew I’d already made the decision.

Kev I thought what Lit has said when I read your post - particularly when you struggle mentally in races - I was very weak last 1k yesterday - overcoming discomfort needs practice.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, very well done. Very good time off absolutely nominal mileage.

Kevin, as Lit says, a few races are the best way to get that straight in your head. I've a half a week on sunday which will hopefully back up what the recent 10k said.

Easy 17m yesterday. Came out 7.59mm for a pretty comfortable effort. I have been doing a lot of basic glute activation stuff over the last week as I found I was getting sore and fatigued in my quads a lot. That seems to have done the trick as yesterday was my most comfortable long run since April.

• Options
    Kevin - I would say more than just do a race for practice - plan a race phase covering about 6 weeks before your target race if that is remotely practicable. You have more than one opportunity to practice then, so you can see what to correct for race day and also see where you felt lacking in the races at particular distances  and there is still time to adjust training for the target race. So with Manchester in mind, that means getting a couple of races in about now ;)

Skinny - What's the significance of the 40:25 time ? Well done on the 10k - that's good progress - faster than your last two 5ks stitched together.

181 miles in January for me - not too bad considering there was a two week taper and half marathon recovery involved in that.

I did 55 miles last week, with 2 hrs on my feet for my first marathon campaign long slow run yesterday. That equated to around 15 miles. 2 hrs 15 mins next week  :# then I will be joining DT on the start line of the Village Bakery half - likely to be a marathon effort job with Wilmslow half also in the calendar.
  • Options
    Skinny - What's the significance of the 40:25 time ? Well done on the 10k - that's good progress - faster than your last two 5ks stitched together.

I'd been trying to drag my mate round which I'd managed quite well from 5k to just after 9k but when he moved past me I just couldn't be arsed to hurt that bit more for the last 3 minutes and slowed down - if I'd gone to the well I could have clung on I'm sure and that would have been a 40:25 (the point being that 40:41 or 40:25 does not generate the mental resolve - very different to PB chasing).

Yeah but remember my 5k course is actually 3.25 miles long. Whether it's the winter or summer course at Carlisle (more off road) I've always found that my parkrun time doubled gives me an approximate 10k time on a fairly flat route.

So I based my target time on 2 * 20:35 then when my mate was just ahead of me and all alone I pushed on a little to run with him to help him out. He missed his PB by 3 secs but it was in to a slight headwind all the way so he could be sub 40 next time out.

Lots of advice all the same Kevin on here - I always feel absolutely shit on race day morning so I would definitely recommend something low key and no pressure for your first outing - a parkrun with a very achievable goal time would probably do the job as a starter.

Nice long run DT and good bum information something we're always after on here.

Having finally faced up to the reality that DT now has a faster lifetime 10k PB than me I have now updated the TTT (see next post) but in doing so have identified a possible TTT target for me.

So attached is my WAVA score if I run 39:43 from 31st May onwards which is better than my current score per the TTT, plus a list of all other times for other distances that would achieve the same. WAVA must be the shittiest goal ever but I seem to arrive at that before any other PB will be remotely in site.

184 miles in 3 months has taken my 10k time down from 43:55 to 40:41- if my foot behaves got to be some scope for another 60 seconds off in another 4 months? 

• Options

Skinny, little mileage and no training but still a time not to shabby in my book, going in the right direction :)

DT good mileage, did you have a device for the activation :D

Muddy, marathon training underway :) 

Thanks everyone on the advice, I think that is the problem, I don't do many races maybe 4 a year. Will look around for something. Out tonight for 9mls with some sort of session.

• Options

Attached new TTT reflecting DT's promotion from the Silver League to the Gold League thanks to his 37:34 10k in January - well done DT. This also set a new WAVA PB.

Of course a by product of that promotion is that he loses all his shiny silver cells and they are reallocated between Bob, Tommy and Madbee. Now as Bob doesn't even come on here and tell us he has done a half marathon then there is really little point in having him on the TTT but I've left him on. Fucked if I'm adding his HM time though if he won't tell me about it! :D

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

I've just sent a photo of that last post to Bob. Maybe that will flush him out.

Or perhaps he's waiting until he's done his next half marathon (in 3 weeks).

• Options

P.S. Well done Skinny. Got to be happy with that time based on minimal running recently.

I'm trying to get some consistency going with my running but it's been a bit difficult over the last couple of weeks. Looks like I might have an opportunity for a hard effort at parkrun this coming weekend to see where I'm at (or not at as the case may be).

• Options
    Skinny - ah ok, yes, I forgot the long course. In which case close to 19 has got to be a possibility for you on a good course. How's it all feel today after a relatively tough outing ?

Kevin - just saw your long run was approx. 3 hr 20. If it was me in your position, I would cap them at 3 hrs maximum  irrespective of what you think your marathon time will be, on the basis that you are just making yourself way too depleted for the training week to follow, and at 3 hours you are already beyond the point of diminishing training returns for your effort.

What do other marathoners more experienced than me on the thread think ?
  • Options
    Well done on the excellent 10k times, Skinny and DT. And extra congratulations to DT on the well deserved promotion to Gold,
    Always believe in your soul
    You've got the power to know
    You're indestructible, always believing
    You're GOLD.

By the way, as of today, new romantic Pete is 67.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks and happy birthday, Pete. 

Thanks for the update, Skinny. Need to address my hm time now. 

There is a lot of good research that says that your long run shouldnt be any longer than 3 hours and a look of schedules based on mileage should be changed to time on feet. 

I find that i can run for 2 hours (circa 15m) without my body breaking down but then for each mile after it the body breaksdown at an increasing rate. My longest run is 3 hours which comes out at 22m. For me though thats about as long as i will be on my feet in the mara so it's easier to swallow limiting it to that time. 
  • Options
    It almost means by default that if your marathon pace is 10 min miles that you are going to be underprepared to run a marathon which is interesting - how do you address? Back to back runs maybe?
  • Options
    Happy birthday Pete!

Good to hear from you - although I hope your musical timing is better - telling me a table update is required just after a table update - tssk.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It may feel terrifying to know you've not ran the vast majority of the distance in training, but the reassurance should come from the spread of the mileage and the training day to day and week to week giving you a robust physical preparation as you were not broken by it. From what I see of the ultra runners they also don't get close to the race distance but do enormous mileage with big doubles.

Edit: should add that I don't recall doing much more than 2 hrs 40 time on feet for marathon training long runs. But as I got nearer the race I did an increasing proportion of each run nearer to marathon effort which bumps the mileage up naturally.

Many happy returns Pete 🙂🎂🎉

• Options
    I'm a bit different to DT and Muddy as I can happily and comfortably run at easy pace for hours (and before breakfast) and I don't find it makes my body 'break down' or require any special recovery. However, I've never spent more than 3 hours running either (except that one time I ran London with my friend at her pace) so it's hard to apply that to runners with a slower target marathon pace. I'd tend to agree though that if you're wanting to do more, there's probably space to build up overall weekly mileage before extending long runs, and that higher total mileage would be more beneficial overall.

Happy birthday Pete!
  • Options
    literatin said:
    I'm a bit different to DT and Muddy
     :)  o:)
  • Options

I made a terrible mistake at work yesterday afternoon - I was pretty certain that my 40:41 was a better time over the same course as I ran in 2013 six weeks before I ran inside 39 mins.

Now the fast way to do that would have been to look at Power of 10 but instead I went back to the early pages of the thread. Two and a half hours of very happy reading later the afternoon had gone and it was time to go home.

2013 time 41:17 but I was running 30 to 40 mile weeks with sessions and stuff back then so unlikely to experience anything like the same pick up in times.

What is 'interesting' however is that my 10k time on Sunday is faster than both the July 2013 time (when I was coming back from a slight injury) and Sept 2012 time (42:13) when I was in 30 mile a week training. I think the only thing I can take from this is that I have retained some of the benefit of those lifetime miles and race speeds from 3 and 4 years ago despite not running seriously for what will be 3 years in March.  

The incredible thing from Sunday is that my body is able to pace a 10k effort for my current level of fitness with no information to really go on (and much better than a lot of regular runners who set off at same speed as me but finished 2 and 3 minutes behind me). I used a £7 digital watch and the km markers on the course to judge my effort but they were not accurately placed so my internal brain was controlling it somehow. Amazing really.

• Options

Pete, happy birthday :)

Skinny, read from the start many a time while lurking, going to look at doing some of your early post sessions after the marathon.

Thanks again for the marathon input, so less miles, maximum 3hrs running. I must admit doing 20 miles lsr on back to back weeks did give me confidence, granted the pace was slower. Other runners in the group I run with are running an average of 1m/m faster than me on our long runs even though we are roughly at the same pb for races. Seems as though they are running MP every long run, this does sometimes get to me as I think maybe that's what I should be doing.

Approx. 9 weeks to go to Manchester, ran 9mls last with 6@9m/m, thinking of doing a DT session later in the week 160hr approx. 8miles. Would one session a week at this intensity taking the miles up to 14 over the weeks be best for gauging race day pace.

• Options
    I would DIE if I ran marathon pace for every long run! Even a 10 mile MP segment in a long run is tough I find.  When it gets to 12 or 14 miles of MP I prefer to do it in a half marathon which is a very pleasant way to "race" I must say.  I looked back to my second marathon and I was doing 20 miles in about 2.55 then so not going over 3 ours.  I think in my first marathon I just looked back and I did one long run of 22 miles in 3 hours and 45 minutes!!! But I was aiming for a 3.45 marathon so preparing myself for time on feet.  I can remember being in agony after long runs but I'd never done them before so unsurprising.   Having said that I sailed through my first marathon and loved every minute with hardly any slowing in 3.46 (even though my average mileage was about 30 a week max) so it obviously worked.  

Skinny - that's a very non-shabby time off not much running so your body obviously remembers what to do.  

Nothing much to report from me except I've had a bit of a niggly knee so opted to take a few days off and ditch my long run.  I did a tempo instead and a club run yesterday.  Knee seems no worse really.  I've getting severe maranoia that everyone else seems to be ticking off 20s now.   But still loads of time.  I'm up to 17.  Last XC of the season on Saturday so be good to get a good show on that. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Kevin, don't get pulled in by their paces. Let race day do the talking. Even if you walk away with similar times, you have worked yourself much less to achieve it.

A session at160  bpm will only work if that is your mp HR. For example Muddy would do that session at 150. I know it's about right for me as my last two maras have had an average HR of 165 and 159.

Mcf, yes I have been feeling the same seeing people doing Boston and London ticking off 20s whilst I am at 17m also.

Decent session of 5 x 1m at hmp off 0.5m easy over lunch. The wind was brutal and based on where I started on the loop I spend more time into it than with a head wind. I was thgough pleasantly surprised by the splits of 6.16, 6.16, 6.11, 6.12 and 6.11. More so the effort level was very much something I could cope with in a race situation and for further. It was hard (in the last 2 reps) but controlled. The first 3 reps were pretty steady effort more than hard.

• Options
    McFlooze said:
     I think in my first marathon I just looked back and I did one long run of 22 miles in 3 hours and 45 minutes!!!
    I hope there was a massive roast dinner waiting on the table for you when you got back.