Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see you on the up again jools

SJ - sorry to hear that, life is more important at times though.

TGO - thats a lot of MP, esp those distances. Ive done 10 in a longish run 3 times and have 12m soon but ive no idea if it'll turn out to be mp. I just run it hard as possible. However you are running a long way at mp.

10m yday, 16m today so back to it quickly. Was wondering wether to have a bit of a taper for sunday but i font suppose it'll help much with running into 60mph wind.
  • Options
    OO - 11 weeks until vlm could be possible. Need to sort all the logistics out though.

LMH - New job doesn't start until next monday but last week of current gig which has been a hectic notice period to say the least. How are you going along now? Are you a mara tourist at vlm then?

Mennania - cheers. Looks like a solid month to me that.

TGO - As others have said thats some solid MP stuff going on in there. As you allude to its probably what makes the difference from 2:59-2:55 to sub 2:50.

Wardi - Combination of factors but I'll get back out there.

TR - You have such a good base you could probably train through the half on Sunday anyway and still get back on it next week. Only you can decide that.

Thanks all again for comments. I have been a bit down on running generally with some indifferent training and some aches and pains that I probably didn't pay too much attention to. This resulted in some tib post issues which stopped me for a week and then a bad cold knocked me back some more. Just getting over the cold. Going to try out some new footwear as I think the latest version of my trusty Asics are aggrivating my tib post more than the old ones.

Another contributing factor and a bit of a noob error was changing too much in my routine at exactly the same time as transitioning back to the roads as the nights drew in. You may recall I mentioned a move away from P&D and adding in some more sessions because that is what I thought would make me faster! Anyway, all these things combined means I only run half of january and now face a shortened build-up in vlm whichc I might actually do as a way of building back into things as OO suggested rather than writing it all off and getting into one for a few months.

As TR has mentioned in the past, having this forum as a sounding board is a great motivator. I feel better having posted here again after a couple of weeks off.

• Options
    I'd thoroughly recommend following OO's suggestion SJ. Running London with zero time goals will allow you to enjoy the spectacle & play up to/with the crowds. You can then sprint down the mall like a loon too :D Who knows if you'll get another chance. I know a clubmate who did it from the GFA start. He got to the 3M point where the routes merge & stopped to wait for his sister then trotted round with her - said it was the most fun he's had in a marathon. I wish I'd done similar as intended back in 2016 when I ran it the week after setting my PB at Brighton however I felt so good I got caught up in the GFA pace then ran out of gas after 15/16M :s
    After a tactical zero yesterday I was feeling hungry for miles so cycled in to work, did a 5M progression on the treadmill at lunch: 8s down to 6:40s; then ran back taking in the scenic canal detour for another 19K. Great to have the longer evenings as I was able to finish things off at work & still get most of the run done before nightfall :) 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - sounds a testing time. Dont rule out manc either esp as its local. You have backed up lots of campaigns so will have that banked.

Jools - thats a big day. Agreed on the evenings i manage to get some miles in before it gets dark if i get started early enough.
  • Options
    TGO - definitely the first, and almost certainly the last, time that I've been compared to Jennifer Lopez!

Back to it with a good tempo 10k after a relatively easy day yesterday.  It'll be a big mileage week with the last pre-Tokyo long run on Sunday.  The runners guide came out yesterday.  The last three years the temperature has been in single figures at the start.  A world away from the predictions of vapourfly-melting scorchio for the Olympics a few months later!
  • Options
    Busy day on this thread today! Not sure where this wind is but it's been a calm day in London.

SJ - I'd have to agree with others that it would be a shame not to run London with a place. My marathon focus this year is on qualifying for London, as someone who hasn't ever been able to run it not-for-charity. So the idea of not at least jogging round and soaking up the day seems crazy but ultimately you have to make the best call for you.

TGO - that schedule sounds crazy but you have to trust in the coach. I know someone who does all his long runs at MP and with good consistency. But I'm not sure you can do that without having the rest of your week suffer a bit. Will be interesting to see how you go overall! Also thanks on the jacket tip. I think "cheap" is a relative thing and normally I wouldn't baulk too much at the price but trying to save all the pounds towards a full house renovation so I may just have to pray on the weather.

Jools - Bonus on the light. I got out of work in the light and had a 5 min walk to the hotel but by the time I was actually out for my run it was headtorch time. It really does feel like the light evening runs are getting closer.

TR - Without having studied the 70+ mile P&D I wondered where the miles were coming from. 16 miles on a Tuesday!! Now I know. Awesome stuff.
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean by marathon tourist sj but I've enjoyed meeting up with a few from here before the start the last couple of years (assuming you'd be running from the FGFA). It's nice to have the company. I will be running from a similarly compromised build up as my knee issues are still not totally resolved.

TGO - that looks like hard work but if you can do it and not break hopefully you'll reap the rewards.

I take it the coronavirus isn't going to disrupt Tokyo? Hope you have a good trip.

rj - I think London is worth it for the experience and I use it as an opportunity to fund raise too (Alzheimer's Society this year).

Nice day Jooligan.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    New to this discussion, aiming for my first sub 3 marathon. I did the Abingdon Marathon in 2018, which was my first marathon, in 3:00:1, had a bad last few weeks of training and really showed when the wheels fell off at 18 miles, probably the most painful run of my life. Spent most of last year off with an ankle injury, which I think I picked up in this race but back on it now. Entered Reading half marathon in April and will try and get an Abingdon Place for this year, which I will be trying to go at least 2 seconds quicker this time.
  • Options
    LMH - Currently the Tokyo organisers are monitoring the situation re the virus.  Nothing I can do about it but wait and see.  

Nonstick - welcome.  If you were that close with a bad run in your first one it's safe to say that with the benefit of that experience you'll crack it at Abo next time.
  • Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I guess there isn't much else that they or you can do CD.

Hi Nonstick - definitely sounds as though you should be able to comfortably go sub 3 if you can stay well and sound.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD.. there's a LV60 lady from my club going to Tokyo.  She's only been running around 3 years with a marathon PB of 4:01.  Guess what she's aiming for!  Best of luck that it can all go ahead.  
    Jooligan.. that's a decent day of exercise, I'm enjoying the lighter nights too.
    LMH.. hope you can do enough to do VLM justice, are you managing longer runs ok at the moment?

Another 10m today, sunny & windless conditions for a change!  Might as well make the most of it before the storms arrive.  :o  
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    TGO - Interesting plan, you must train fast to race fast.  My best times have come when I have raced full-pelt 3 half-marathons in a marathon build-up.
    Nonstick - Welcome, 1 bloody second, ouch ouch ouch. I've run 3.00.13 so can sense some of the pain. Good to see your back and sub 3 back in your sights. 
    Jools- Agreed, love the longer lighter evenings.  
    Those new Alphaflys sure look ridiculous. When can we buy them? 
    10m steady run this evening after a lunch consisting of a large Cornish pastie followed by a cream tea. #eatlikeachampion
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - theres a lot of volume in the longer plans.

Nonstick - abo opens in March, i might be there too.

OO - i thought those new vapors were a spoof advert? We might be buying those cheap on black friday in 2021.

17(inc 10k),10,16,10 for the last 4 days. On a bit of weather watch to see if i bother with Worthing or not Sunday.
  • Options
    Welcome Nonstick, good to have you here. All the best with the training, sounds like sub 3 is inevitable with a good training block.

Fingers crossed on the virus front CD, haven't seen much to suggest the spread is going to slow down but hopefully impact on the marathon will be minimal. Noticed the olympics organisers are "monitoring" the situation. Assuming that's really just a given under the circumstances and standard protocol.

Thought I'd spread my wings tonight for my 13 miler and take in the canal, regents park and hyde park. Turned out to be a bit of an error. Even with stopping my watch at lights etc the pace was all over the place (an 8:15 followed by a 9:13 followed by a 7:30...followed by a 9:27, followed by a 7:10). Felt like some kind of enforced fartlek. Ok for the odd run I guess but isn't ideal on a regular basis. Recovery runs of 5 miles I can manage but I've got 2 runs to do in central Manchester next week including a 14 miler so I'm a bit stuck as to what to do. Any thoughts? 

• Options
    I managed one last week then the knee decided it didn't like it and I had to take a day off and see the physio again Wardi. Haven't been able to run long this week but hoping to get there on Saturday it's really a question of seeing how it is day to day at the minute. Oh for a fully functioning crystal ball - or better still pair of knees :-)
  • Options
    I have had one mara run without (to much)pressure when I got my first GFA at London - i had to run a 3.15 and I was in at least 3.02 shape but jogged around high fiving people and even had a couple of sips of beer - was a really fun enjoyable experience which is in stark contrast to my current race days. 

Nice sessions Jools and CD - Vaporflys melt at any temperature

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

like you TR i'm on weather watch as looks horrific sunday.  most likely will bin the 10km which was going to be sandwiched into a long run anyway, and get my long run done Saturday now.  Pity you can't do your race it sounds like you'd smash a half at the mo.  I'm entered in a half in 3.5 weeks so hopefully that will give me a good marker anyway.

LMH - so frustrating, hope you can manage it.

welcome Nonstick - sounds like you will smash the sub3 if training goes to plan.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Aye the weather looks rough everywhere on Sunday, I wonder if any races might be cancelled?  A few of my club mates have entered a Hardmoors event up near Saltburn which involves off road, hills etc.  65mph gusts and rain expected!
    By contrast we have wall to wall blue sky & sun here today with 4mph winds.  Enjoyed a 7m loop around York racecourse & environs this morning, even the gloves came off!  Another 4m later to make the double up. 
  • Options
    It was gorgeous here today once the freezing fag had burnt off Wardi - unfortunately that wasn't until nearly midday. No chance of the gloves coming off! Llanelli Half has already been cancelled.

Trial, error, tape, foam rolling, bloody mindedness and hope seem to be working so far selbs though very much in a make it round and enjoy the day rather than race way.

Has anyone seen Joolska anywhere?
  • Options
    LMH - Bloody mindedness is always good, the marathon runners friend.
    Menn - I have never run a marathon without some kind of time pressure.  But similarly I have run 2 ultras with the aim of just to finish and really enjoyed them - both had beer at the end.   
    Same here for really good weather, so a 4m and 6m double with the dog around some of the fields surrounding our home, luckily now devoid of sheep, so a good soft surface to run on. 
  • Options
    Sounds lovely OO - Great weather here for todays sufferfest session. 12 miles - 4 blocks of 2at MPE 1 at HMPE. I took a couple of minutes at the 6 mile turn round. Not pleasant and not pretty but done. Id say im about 80% happy with the run as i was dropping off by a couple of seconds each block. Has told me naff all about what my HMP should be for next sunday though 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey Menn, im sweating over 12 at mp next time out. That was a massice 12m !

Selbs, Wardi - sunday has been cancelled for me. Fair enough with a seafront race which needs a start, finish, marshals etc all out in 70mph winds and rain. I spent a bit of time at lunch lookung for alternatives (bramley, wokingham, brighton) but they are all sold out. So head down until fleet in 5 weeks, havnt had a beer all week, what a waste ! Positive was i found out in time to do the 13m as prescribed by p and d.
  • Options
    That's a brutal dozen Menn. No recovery between blocks then?
    Still places going at Wrexham on the 15th TR. £25 for unattached
     https://runcheshire.niftyentries.com/VillageBakeryHalf#entryoptions 
    It's a decent course & quality field 81 went sub 80 last year. Njord usually runs it.
    Looking like likely my sunday race will be called off as it's through a lot of wooded areas & with winds like that they can't risk having a tree come down on us nutjob competitors or the marshals. They're not calling it till Saturday about midday but I can't see the forecast improving massively bu then.
    Double for me too today 5M at lunch with 5x1K off 2 minute jog. Nothing spectacular pace wise but managed to make every one faster than the last. Then an easy 12K along the canal as the sun was going down. Another glorious day for it B)
  • Options
    Thats my local that im racing next Sunday Jooligan - Its flat and fastish course but it very open to weather, particularly wind. No recovery - I wasnt even supposed to stop at halfway but was grateful to have an excuse to.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Shame but no doubt for the best TR.  I see the Deal half is off on Sunday too.
    Hefty session Menn!  Congrats on getting that one done.
    Jooligan.. nice double, agreed might as well make the most of the pre-storm sunny conditions. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers Jools i had a look, but its 230 miles each way.
  • Options
    Thanks all above for the nice welcome, 11 miles at lunch time, sun was shining, wind was freezing, probably a bit quick at 4:19/km average but felt good.
  • Options
    Shame TR. I'm at VB too Menn.
    Hopefully bump into each other in the start pen/wu. Keep an eye out for a 6'2" long haired guy in a pale green vest with a white band across the chest. Lost the beard since the profile pic was taken though & currently can't find the shades either :s  
    Excellent analysis of the implications of "the shoes" & the recent IAAF ruling https://sportsscientists.com/2020/02/running-shoe-tech-the-emperors-clothes-and-the-issues-for-the-integrity-of-running/
  • Options
    Hi, I am lurking, LMH, just not got round to posting (work went a bit full on for a few weeks). Ticking over ok!
  • Options
    Glad you're ok Joolska.