Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Yeah, I had something like that the other day too, got badges for things I hadn't done. Not sure if this is a similar glitch or what it's up to
  • hello everybody peeps. 2 months away and my training is barely underway. Finally this week I put together a meaningful speed session but now i'm feeling all sore so hope a rest day tomorrow will pave the way for a 20 miler (ONO) on Sunday. 

This Spring campaign has been hampered by two falls in January resulting in knocks to the left knee and back. PLus December, or should I call it Boozember, didn't help my cause. I had a good marathon on Dec 15th in Malaga but its too soon to start a training block on Jan 1st. That was a one lucid day out of most! 

I'll just muddle through to April and do Paris as a long run for London if i don't feel properly trained. Maybe test out those pinks NEXT%s I picked up with the birthday discount.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Jimbob. A 20 miler already? Are you sure?
    Save your links for London, to give them a proper test of how fast they can go.
    I've had to shift my LSR to Saturday due to a family gathering and it has worked in my favour. The weather on Sunday looks like it's going to be awful.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I've been looking at the weather with dread for Sunday Orbutt... it should be 15 miles for me if I can get myself out in that deluge!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Nells don’t do it 😳 Go Saturday...or Monday. 
    Spend Sunday looking out of the window.
    Or run on Sunday - 15 miles is going to feel like 20. It’ll do you good 😂
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Jimbob - I’m sure you’ll be flying come April.

I do my LSRs on a Saturday. I plan to be out early tomorrow, hopefully I’ll be home before the storm hits. 

I can’t really complain about the weather. It’s been wet and windy up here, but very mild for this time of year.

I’m hoping I can keep my training going for the next eight weeks. Looking to maintain my form from last year.
  • This year I am doing all my long runs on Saturday morning and finishing them by doing the last 5k by joining my local parkrun. It really gives a boost for the last few kilometres. Did my second fastest 21k this morning. 
  • Finishing at Parkrun! That must be some very early starts for those runs.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    phronesis. Wow. Finishing your long run with a Park run is an incredible way to raise your heart rate.
    How do you find it, racing on tired legs? 
    It must also be logistically challenging to make sure you leave yourself enough time - but not too much?
    I have had a really good training week. I’ve realised that I’ve lost a bit of pace and I’d been trying to claw it back - and knackering myself in the process (which I haven’t enjoyed).
    So this week I reset my pace targets, hit them all and enjoyed my runs.
    In my recent LSRs I’d been aiming for my old average pace but fading badly in the last few KM. So I set a target pace, slightly faster than the overall average from previous weeks - but made sure I ran to this pace all the way through..
    It worked a treat. My breathing was good, I was able to hold a conversation with MrsO all the way an I even had enough in the tank to keep up the pace in the last Km which is mainly uphill.
    In case you can’t tell, I’m a happy Orbutt.
  • Yes there are some early starts. I’ll be doing 30k next Saturday and so starting about 6.30 - 6.45.  My Friday nights aren’t quite what they used to be so I manage to get to bed fairly early and so getting up early on Saturday is not too distressing.  Running a parkrun isn’t necessarily racing a parkrun but today I did it in about 26 minutes just because it felt much easier running with the rest of the parkrunners and it was much faster than the other 75% of it. I’ll see how I feel after a few other long runs. At the moment I prefer it to plodding along solo, feeling tired out. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Wow. Chapeau. That's real dedication. 
    I doubt I could do a 26min 5k at the moment, never mind after a long run
  • Did a little stormy half marathon yesterday.. just a smidge under 1.48. I think doing a 10k on Wednesday wasn't ideal prep in hindsight - legs a little stiff today!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Robbo1983 running in that weather must have been difficult enough so any time in those conditions is a win.
    I know of several races that were cancelled due to the dangerous conditions 
    I stayed indoors 😁
  • > @Orbutt said:
    > Robbo1983 running in that weather must have been difficult enough so any time in those conditions is a win.
    > I know of several races that were cancelled due to the dangerous conditions 
    > I stayed indoors 😁

Funnily enough it was a personal best. I wonder how fast I could have gone if the conditions were calm and I was wearing illegal footwear.. :D
  • Robbo1983 - Great time, particularly in those conditions.

I'm just back from the joy of nine miles of wind, sleet and hailstones. It’s fair to say I’ve had better training runs!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    We had hailstones today too.
    Ouch, ow ow, fark,  OUCH!
    Oh yes, that was fun
  • Your commentary looks like it had a lot less swear words than mine!
  • Hi all. Not been on for a while. In terms on the Nikes. I bought the vaporfly 4s last year and proceeded to run big pbs for 10k & half marathon. Went from 1:19:11 to 1:16:45 in the half. Obviously, training, conditions etc would have influenced time but the shoes definitely helped. I only use them for races as they don’t look like they will take many miles or much abuse. I tend to use new balance and brooks regularly.<div>Hope everyone’s training is going to plan. I’ve not got the volume I hoped due to work commitments and now weather but my speed sessions are positive. Managed to run 19miles yesterday in terrible conditions. Achievable target of sub 2:50 at Paris is on the cards, my stretch is to run under 2:45 to get into Berlin with a gfa. Again volume and consistency may end that idea. All the best folks </div>
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Buzz2 you’re certainly a speedy person but but decreasing you PB by 2.5 mins is some going.
    Interesting that you don’t train in them. How paranoid were you racing in them for the first time, when you hadn’t put many miles on them?
    Also interesting that you don’t think you’d get many miles out of them. Rather expensive per mile, if that is the case.
    We runners are never happy with our training, are we?
    Would 2:45 be a PB?
  • Prior to running in them I had read mixed reports on their longevity. Did a 10k initially and knocked 2 mins off. Ran a further 10k week later and dropped to 34:55, week later ran the half and another pb. There is wear on the outside rear but I’ll hope they see me through Paris. They certainly felt different to my other trainers when I used them. Current pb was at Boston last year where my week before the race was a family holiday and prep went out window. Walked the length and breadth of Manhattan and over indulged hence felt pretty weary during the race. I’m more focused on the race this time then can enjoy the holiday afterwards although expectations from the kids to climb the Eiffel Tower may be a sore walk too far come Mon or Tues.
  • I hear you buzz. Apparently the day of the marathon is the free entry to the Louvre day (a monthly thing), so I suspect I'll spend Sunday afternoon walking around there. Climbing the eiffel tower might be a bit too much
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Buzz2 the Tower has lifts 😁
    chamolk - Sunday afternoon I’ll still be running 😊
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Buzz2 - Those are seriously impressive times.
    I try and be active the day after the race as I find it helps loosen the legs up, but maybe not climbing the stairs of the Eiffel Tower right enough!
    I'm currently investigating cooking classes the day after the race. Thought I may as well see if I can cook and eat my body weight in macaroons.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Eggy. I demand samples 😁
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Orbutt I'd like to say I'd reserve some for you, but the day after running a marathon any food near me is at a high risk of disappearing.
    If I develop some skills in making them I could possibly try and send some red and white ones down your way for a wee celebration in May!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Eggy shhhhhh, don’t say it out loud - yet 😁
  • My lips are sealed! :D
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I normally do my LSR on Sunday. Last week I was fortunate that I had to move it to Saturday, as I missed running in Storm Ciara.
    This week it's back to Sunday but I'm sitting here watching Storm Dennis.
    I think that the weather is targeting my LSR 😁
  • Yeah, did mine last week on Friday, partly due to the storm. Got this weekend's long run done early this morning, the wind and the rain were just getting going. 18 miles with a parkrun at mile 11.5. Quite nice getting it done early, now I don't have to worry about it. Until a 20 miler next weekend anyway
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The “storm” up here this weekend hasn’t been anything more than expected February weather. I think the south must have got the worst of it. 

I got a wet 20 miles in early this morning. Thankfully the rain wasn’t too bad and didn’t really start to bucket down until I only had a couple of miles left to do. 
    Hope everyone is surviving their LSRs. We might just get a weekend this month without a storm forecast!