My Last Run

Comments

• What's the prognosis, Guarddog? Bevendean is a parkrun I'd like to do, although it's definitely one of the hilliest ("rather hilly" is a bit of an understatement - it's the 7th hilliest in the UK on the Jegmar rankings, although those haven't been updated since 2018). Is it muddy there or is it firmer chalk underfoot?

Hazelnut - that sounds quite odd - I guess it took more out of you than you thought.

As for me, I've been feeling ropey most of last week and I woke up yesterday feeling rough and exhausted so I decided to postpone my long run as I couldn't summon the energy to do my physio exercises, let alone 20 miles.
    However, after a decent sleep I woke up feeling a bit less crap today so I went out very early and got 18 done. Slow to start with but I picked up a little pace once it got light, and I don't feel horrible now so hopefully I'll be OK.
    Spotted numerous cats, two foxes and the cute corgi pup I saw the other day. He really is adorable.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Hi Simon - get yourself signed up for something!

That's a bit of strange one Hazelnut.Sounds like your bug has wiped you out.

A bacon sarnie always makes up for it Guarddog.

Nice 18 miles Cal.Not surprised your feeling exhausted ,you've put some miles in.

10.15 miles yesterday,including 6x1 miles intervals,tried to keep it about 10k p but struggled a bit with my hams and glute again,anyway I got it done.
    8.2 miles with Polly this morning,she carried a big stick for 6 of them.Heard a few woodpeckers pecking away.
  • Hazelnut and JD - I can report the bacon sarnie was good. Especially with a bit of brown sauce. Hopefully things aren't too serious Hazelnut, but it might be wise to seek some medical advice if you're still not feeling it. 

Likewise JD take it easy if the glutes are playing up. I'm probably a salutary lesson in what happens if you just try to run through things. Have you seen a physio?

Well done on getting out Simon. And good luck in finding an event. It probably needs to be just tough enough that it invokes a little fear that if you don't train for it it might hurt  ;)

Well done on the 18 miler Cal, especially as you weren't feeling up to it. I hadn't realised Bevendean was the 7th hilliest. It's a very small PR, they generally only get about 30 people taking part. Our club did a volunteer takeover there last year and I did timekeeping. Wasn't the most difficult task and would have been far harder at somewhere like Worthing where they have 600+ these days. Conditions depend on how much rain there's been. It's not particularly chalky there from what I can tell and too much rain does make it very soft underfoot. It's certainly one for trail runners.

Another visit to the osteopath this afternoon. The prognosis is that it's going to take some time to get sorted and it looks as if the Brighton HM is now off the agenda (just got my letter from them today with the race number). I've accepted that it would be better not to push to run that and try and get things sorted properly. I've currently got two exercises I do 4-5 times a day. I also sit on a tennis ball to work the glutes and then sit with it in the small of my back. Added to that I'm taking 2000mg of vitamin C 3 times a day. It's supposed to have natural anti-inflammatory properties. I also need to try to avoid stress, which isn't easy at the moment.
  • GD - that's part of the attraction - I can get a high finisher position at the small ones. :D I might try to get to it during the summer, so I can have a day in Brighton as well.
    Sorry about the HM but it's the sensible thing. I hope the issue resolves as quickly as it can.

Nice running, JD. Hopefully Polly won't trip you with her sticks.

Went out for a  6 mile recovery run - very very slow. Legs don't feel bad at all despite running for over three hours yesterday, though I did roll my right ankle (it's been sprained a lot, though, so it's almost impossible to do anything to it now).
  • Bad luck on the HM GD.  Sounds like a sensible choice though and I hope you will heal fast. 

6 x 1 mile sounds very tough JD.  Nice mileage. 

Well done on getting the 18 done Cal. Not long until you are tapering I guess.

Things might be getting better for me now - still have wobbly quad issues but I decided to try to run through it - 6 miles at somewhere between my slower long run pace and my general aerobic pace.  That was ok.  Maybe I need to do a few runs at a sensible pace to get my muscles working again.  Will try that.
  • Glad you are starting to feel a little better, Hazelnut.

I didn't want to do anything too speedy this week as I'm doing a 10K on Sunday (the stupidly expensive Winter Run, which I entered on the whim and then regretted when I got into Japan due to a) cost and b) timing - though I am hoping it'll be fun at least) so I decided I'd throw some MP miles into my MLR. I opted for 12 miles as I didn't want to be doing 15 two days after running 18, since for an old donkey like me that's at least another half hour of running.

I decided to go out after rush hour (partly because I didn't want to have to deal with any frost, and and partly because I wanted to enjoy the sunshine, even it it's quite nippy out) so I did the first six miles at an easy pace, then the next two a bit quicker (9:40s, which was my MP in 2018 - early 2019) with the aim of hitting 9 minute miles for the next few. The first mile felt pretty fast, effort-wise, and I glanced at my watch and it was saying 9:05, which I thought was good enough, but when I hit the mile it came up as 9:18. Fail. So tried a bit harder and...fail again, 9:13. So I picked it up again and my breathing was becoming pretty audible and this time it was 8:44, which is closer to HMP (although it felt like 10K pace), so I didn't do a great job there either. After that I did the last mile as a cool-down and finished a smidge under 2 hours.

I'm still not sure how the same pace can feel so much easier during an actual race - it's not just mental, I can actually talk to people rather than breathing like someone sawing through a log. It's like some kind of voodoo, I swear.
  • Less of the old donkey Cal - you are doing great :D  Maybe you could say old mule instead - are they not faster? I saw a nice one yesterday whilst I was out running - fairly rare to do so.

Certainly agree on the race pace in training.  If I'm trying to do MP miles then I tell my head that I ran faster for longer in an HM but it doesn't always work.  Maybe we should try pinning on a number.. (might look a bit wierd though!)

Finally managed a decent run yesterday - 11 and a bit miles.  Don't feel 100 % yet but overall pace was ok and I put in a couple of miles at the faster end of my long run pace which were ok.  Was a beautiful afternoon for it - cool and crispy - soon needed gloves in the shade with the light breeze but fine without in the sun.  Definitely more light in the afternoons now which helps motivation.
  • Yeah I think I can upgrade myself to mule now, although that makes it sound as though I have a load of drugs stuffed up my bum.
    Glad you're feeling more like yourself.

Rest day for me, although that meant a trip to the gym, 20 minutes on the cross trainer and then throwing some kettlebells around. I'm not as strong as when I did weights all the time, but I have different goals now.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Shame about Brighton GD,hopefully get yourself fixed and you can sign up for another race.I had a massage just before Christmas,so need to book myself in again soon.

Glad your feeling like your old self Hazelnut.Lovely and sunny over here as well.

Cal,it's always hard running race pace in training,particulary  5 and 10k pace, and especially as I'm getting older.

8.22 miles yesterday at a comfortably hard pace,felt ok,glutes and hams behaved themselves.

5.13 miles today.Out on a very quiet country lane when Polly let out a very loud yelp,I stopped and turned round and she was sitting down with her right paw in the air.I pulled out a very big thorn from her pad,one happy dog.

• Poor Polly!

7 recovery miles today - lots of slippy patches on the pavements even after 9am, so just as well it wasn't a speed workout or something.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hope you didn't throw a kettleball anywhere inappropriate Cal. Take care on the ice.

Good running JD. Hope Polly has recovered from the thorn - ouch. Must be lovely to have a dog to run with though sometimes frustrating too if it is a stop start type?

Was mildly nipped in the leg by a local one today. I really should kick up some fuss as it wasn't the first time. Not really a bite but the greeting isn't friendly and it should be on a lead not running free.  I'm not bothered by dogs and react calmly with any but I wouldn't want to see that one with someone who panics.

Not the best start but things did improve quickly. Beautiful afternoon, almost perfect running conditions. Started off with a 5 and a bit k warmup with some drills and strides. Then a 4 mile LT run and 2 and a bit k to cooldown. After last week's illness I wasn't expecting much of the speed session but in fact I was just 2-3 seconds off target pace and held that very well. With 3 miles done I was sure I would complete the session and ran along grinning despite the effort.

Met two surprisingly considerate riders. We were on collision course with me moving at speed and one of the two stopped her companion, sign language queried my intended route, waited for me to pass and wished me a pleasant evening. I had been fully prepared to slam on the brakes. I gasped out my thanks. Saw them again on my cool down when I was able to put together a full sentance.

Spring is seemingly in the air, saw some snowdrops and the first groups of storks are back in the village.

Have a good weekend and be careful in the storm.
  • I am wary of dogs myself but more because I'm worried about tripping over the buggers. I could hurt myself, but I'd probably kill a small dog if I fell on it. No one wants that.

I had my second stab at Gunpowder today (the one that was cancelled due to ice three weeks ago). So tube (with a change), then train, then a 2 mile run to the park, although as I was there early I did an additional mile around the park for three.
    It's hard path there - not the smoothest stuff as it has a gravelly texture, but it's quick enough. Two laps with a slight incline at the start of each lap - it amazed me how many people I overtook on that, it wasn't even a hill. There was a bit of congestion at the start so my first mile was around 8:15, but there was a lot of space after that and miles two and three were both exactly 7:56.6. Consistent eh? I was breathing quite loudly during the last half mile and I did push myself, but still found a little something for the finish, which doesn't often happen. My official time was 25:20, which is somewhat outside my best but still respectable (especially given this has been a 51 mile week since I did my long run on Monday). Good enough for 5th lady and 1st VW50. Rather glad I pushed it towards the end because there were two VW50s three seconds behind me!
    After adopting the bent-over-with-hands-on-knees recovery posture, I got some water and ran the two miles back to the station for a total of 8 miles. Home by 11, which isn't bad considering it's not the most straightforward journey.
    I doubt I will run tomorrow - I don't like 20mph winds let alone 60. Damned storm may keep me indoors for two days. Just hoping my Sky dish will be OK.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice run Hazelnut,you really enjoyed that session.Polly is a good running buddy,she keeps up and most importantly she keeps out of the way of other walkers and runners.Think I would have had a word with the dog owner with the nipping,wouldn't tolerate that behaviour from Polly.

Great parkrun Cal and well done on the placings.Nothing wrong with the recovery posture,I adopt it regulary.

6.25 miles yesterday,really had to force myself out but once out I was fine.

3.26 miles today,with my eldest daughter and Polly.Lots of runners out today,most probably thinking it'll be their last run before the storms arrive.

• With what has been a couple of hectic weeks, I have had little time to run. Did a 4.3 mile run last week for the only run of the week, which was quite disappointing considering the Reading half is in under two months and I'm yet to run further than 8 miles.

So this week, I switched it up a heck of a lot. 6 mile sessions on the treadmill on Monday and Wednesday, and a weights session on Thursday. Today, the goal was to run 10 miles and just see how I do.

With the fiancée following on the bike and shouting out the mileage and the time, leaving me to work out minutes per mile, we set off up the canal path. The first 5.3 miles were pretty good, sun was out, a bit undulating going up and over canal bridges but was relatively okay. Hit 5.3 miles, and turned back on ourselves to finish off the 10 miles. 

Running back, the wind was in my face. Had managed to do 3.1 miles and 6 miles in times that were a lot quicker than I have run before. Around mile 7 though, I started to get a severe case of chaffing. Fiancée also decided to add on some mileage uphill to help me train, though with the distance I was doing, I was knackered! Ahh well!

Managed to do 11 miles in 1hr 46, averaging 9:42min/mile. Pretty happy with it, given it's a mileage PB. 

Rewarded myself for it with a Domino's...ooops!
  • Good parkrun sarnie Cal. Hope you can get out soon.

Nice family running JD.

Great to see you Malteser. Well done on the distance PB. If you can do 11 now you will be fine for Reading. A reward for a good run however unhealthy won't hurt if it's not after every one. :)

Group training yesterday, mix of drills, coordination exercices, strength training, a short jog and training.

Today 18.7 miles long run. Haven't run that far since Berlin mara in 2018. Decent run at the lower end of my long run pace.  Legs a bit tired, in particular not so impressed by the long dragging hill over the last 6 miles. Energy levels are okay though. Took on one gel and one bar but didn't drink as much as I should have done. Something to practice.  No storm here yet but wind is picking up and fortunate tomorrow is a rest day.

• Weren't you tempted to do that extra .3 to make it a round number, Hazelnut? Well done, though.

Welcome back, Malteser. Good job on your run - I'd say the pizza was well earned.

I actually saw quite a few people running yesterday, but I wasn't tempted (I'd already done 51 miles for the week, so no need, really) but I got out for an enjoyable 10 this morning. A strong breeze at times but nothing enough to be troubling. It will get worse again later - I did plan my run to coincide with the least windy part of the day.
  • And 6 before dawn today - wanted to get out before it got too windy again. I think this is the last day of the strong winds, at least I hope so.
  • Hi Hazel and Cal - the pizza certainly tasted good, did feel like it was earned. Good to see you both clocking up the miles despite the weather trying to stop everyone.

Fast 6 on the treadmill last night - only way I can get my fiancée to come running with me is if we go to the gym, as she cannot keep up with my pace which is fair enough. Managed 10k in about 57:45 so my times are improving, though I do feel like I run faster on a treadmill and get a slower time than when I run outside.

Will likely do another treadmill 6 tomorrow, then a 12 mile run on Saturday to try and keep the miles up. Total of 41 miles this year on Strava plus 18 on the treadmill. Still a long way to go to that magic 500 number I was aiming for
  • I had already rounded up to 30k Cal, sorry :D Good timing for your runs.

Well done on the TM Malteser. I find it harder on the TM than outside but maybe because I've only run on one a couple of times and just a few miles. Your plan sounds good. Lots of time yet to collect miles for the year.

Rest day for me yesterday, fortunately, as it was still very windy. Just a walk around the village for some fresh air. Group run this evening which I will book as a 6 recovery. Two trees to clamber over and plenty of twigs to crunch but no other storm damage spotted. By the light of the headtorch at least. Three of us out including our founder member for the first time in a while as he has had knee problems.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great long run Hazelnut.It's easy not to take water on when it's cold.

Cal,I'm sure I've heard there's another storm coming in next week,something to look forward to.51 miles is great weekly total.

Welcome back,Malteser,nice treadmill run,I can just about manage 4miles on a TM,before boredom gets the better of me.I'm sure you'll reach 500 for the year.

4 miles on the TM before circuit training yesterday.Quick 6miles this evening whilst my eldest daughter was at athletics .Snow,sleet and rain,just what you want.

• JD, you heard right, although Dennis doesn't look to be quite as bad as Ciara. Still, don't fancy running in it.

I didn't have the best run today. Opted to go out after 9 in order to avoid any potentially frosty bits, and it was nice and sunny but still an icy wind. I had toyed with the idea of making this my long run (which is only meant to be 16 this week) as Sunday looks bad, but when I got to 8 I realised I just did not want to do another 8. My legs didn't want to go any faster, either, so it was just a vanilla easy run, 10 miles (same as Monday, albeit one whole minute quicker, whoop). I think I'm tired.
  • Similar weather to look forward to here this evening JD. 

No point in overdoing it now Cal.  Sometimes you can push through such but other times not. 

8.5 miles yesterday late afternoon.  6 general aerobic (bit too quick though) followed by 6 x hill sprints and 8 x strides.  Quite like doing the hill sprints.  More or less perfect running conditions and a nice apricot pink sunset to look at.  Saw three other runners which is unusual - in paticular none familiar.  I guess they were catching up after the bad weather.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Not long till Tokyo Cal.When do you fly out? I see runners living in China have had their entries deferred until 2021.

When's your next race Hazelnut? The apricot sunset sounds lovely.

8.2 miles Wednesday,legs felt tired but managed to put two fast miles into the session.Waited all day yesterday for the gas engineer to service the boiler and fix a small repair on a radiator,when he phoned to say he'd be out today instead,so did 3.1 miles on the TM before a gym class in the evening instead.

• I'm flying out on the Thursday (actually Wednesday, but I arrive Thursday. It's a long old flight and the time difference makes it more than a day long!)
    Getting the coronavirus after my marathon is actually a bit of a concern - marathons do a number on my immune system - I've had shingles two years on the trot and a cold the week after Yorkshire.
    Anyway, took a rest yesterday and it seemed to do me some good as I felt a lot more peppy today. Did 8 miles. Absolutely spectacular sunrise - streaks of bright orange across the cyan sky. Made me thankful I made myself go out early.
  • Next race is a 10k next Sunday JD.  Am currently planning to do that as a replacement for a threshold run as I am likely not in 10k PB form at the moment.  We will see.  Depends on the wind as well as it is an exposed course.  Boo to the repair man messing up your timing.

Don't envy you the long flight Cal.  Must admit I've never done such but I get irritable after 2-3 hours already. 
    Have had half an eye on the Tokyo mara news, hope everything goes to plan.

MLR yesterday evening 12.67 miles.  Yes I know, round it up! - but I couldn't be arsed to run up the hill to home.  The reward for being lazy was that after one minute into the walk up the hill I got a thorough drenching as a cold front moved swiftly through with a thunderstorm.  If I'd noticed that approaching (more or less dark) I would have run faster on the run or jogged up the hill.  Quite scary as I was in the woods with very strong gusts and all sorts of crashing and creaking.  No hits from above though.  Also got a tasty blood blister from shoes already damp on the run and stepped on a stone which pinced my foot in my shoe.
  • Ouch Hazelnut! Yes, I don't intend to be out in Storm Dennis on Sunday, although I will do parkrun tomorrow - meeting some clubmates at Gunnersbury (which I've done before but it wasn't a good time last time as I got a bit lost on the way and almost missed the start).
  • Hi all! haven't posted for a month or so, how are you all? happy and well I hope.

Well after my marathon I was too injured to run and that was that.  However my house which had been under offer was all go meaning a few weeks of relentless work, boxing stuff, moving and general not stopping at night until 10pm. Then my car died and I had to get another, plus a multitude other life things; I wouldn't have time to run anyway, (but still tried once a week).  Yes I should have visited a physio!

Anyway, 7 weeks have passed and life is back to normality, or thereabouts.

Road back;
    Week 1-4 = screwed. Too much left knee pain to run at all. Walking after 2 miles max.
    Week 5 = A gentle 5 miler. OK!
    Week 6 = A gentle 9 miler, same.
    Week 7 = Hard effort 9 mile tempo run. OK.

So I'm hoping I can carefully start again! It feels great to be running a few days a week again. God I missed it! Although I will be plodding rather than big mileage/ regular hard effort sessions.

I'm on my lunch so can't read all that's happened, but will do when  I can.

Have a great day and hopefully back in the thread.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you Linton and good that you're back out running. Like you said just take it carefully,and build it gradually.
  • Glad to see you back, Linton! Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate - wise to put running on the back-burner. I'm sure your knee is grateful for the distraction.

Gunnersbury parkrun today - second time I've been there and I was determined to beat the rather poor time I ran in 2018 (my own fault - got a bit lost on the way and arrived late and flustered and was still hauling my coat off as the RD started them off). Not on my best form today but managed 25:36 which is OK, and certainly better than last time. It's not a flat run (not hilly, but there are gradients) and it was quite windy though Dennis hadn't kicked off properly at that point.
    PSH was there and I managed to miss him completely. Oh well!
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Great Parkrun Cal! Glad you got it done before the weather came through! Hope it goes well in Tokyo! Really exciting!

11 miles today!! A BIG hurdle since getting injured and my longest run since December 21st.

Went early and took and absolute battering from the weather, 55-60mph wind and torrential rain. It was an out-and-back, and even though I was taking it easy, I ran 8 minute miles on the way out! Wind assisted! Predictably, coming back wasn't much fun, fortunately the wind had eased a little.

6 weeks ago I honestly didn't think I'd run at  all this year, so fingers crossed I feel OK tomorrow...

Thanks for the well wishes JD.

That sound a challenging run Hazlenut.  At one point I run under a large bough that had snapped off, fallen and was dangling precariously from another lower bough, it facilitated a brief injection of pace!

Feels great to have the interest to watch a Youtube race on a wet sunday afternoon with a big glass of red again! Today's is Cardiff Half marathon 2016, apt for this weekend 's weather!