Sub 3h15

Comments

• Holy moley! you can tell it's spring marathon time with 20+ milers being posted. Nice work guys!

DT - you seem to be very unlucky with the weather when it comes to races. Sensible call. 

Gul - Great 22. Hope the legs feel better soon. 

OO - Nice 5k! 

SBD - sounds like you got lucky with the weather. 

Leslie - Great to see you making continued progress. 

Jools - have you committed to a race? 

The weather has turned proper stormy after what was forecast to be a very stormy weekend last weekend & it wasn't actually that bad. Ran 5 times last week (total 23 miles) with my weekly 9 miler being the highlight of the week. 9.2 miles to be precise in an @ avg 6:26mm. It's the 4th time I've done that run since the new year and I've managed to shave 26 seconds per mile since the 1st run. I hope I can carry that form into my half in March. Off out for a lunch 5k in horrid conditions now. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You are doing great Gerard which is good to see. Keep it up old buddy 😉
    I've been struggling with the hip for a few weeks now. The pain comes on after 5+ miles and I gradually get slower. This hasn't however stopped me getting quicker over the shorter stuff. At the great run local today I ran a surprise17:58, the first sub 18 this year and I finished 3rd, and the time is 7th fastest on the all time leaderboard for Strava. Mixed feeling overall given the potential for the hip to sabotage my mara campaign.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Amazing time there OO. Hope that hip sorts itself soon. Congrats on the high placings.

Super fast from you, GM. Great to see you smashing runs out again.

5 mile recovery last night and then 8 miles tonight run steady with a few strides that came out at 7.36 pace. Nothing spectacular, in fact I wish it felt easier.
    Hopefully I’ll go through one of those nice surprise performance uplift experiences soon, I’m due one.
  • Ian - good pace for your 10-ish miler.
    GM - great running. Coming back into form quickly.
    OO - sorry to hear about the hip. A fantastic 5k time though. Does the hip improve if you cut back the miles or might it need a complete rest for a while? Hope it doesn't take too long to get sorted.
    GD - good steady run.
    6 slow recovery miles this morning. Planning to do the tempo  run tomorrow early doors given the high winds later in the morning and the rest of the weekend.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 10 miler, Ian. VB have already changed to a reserve route because of flooding around mile 9, but think with the wind forecast during race time, and balancing the safety of runners and marshalls, I would expect them to cancel.

OO- Well done on the sub 18.Have you had treatment on the hip at all?

Going well, Gerard! Yep, my 10k recently is the only time in quite a while where I have raced in great conditions. All 3 halfs  last year were windy. Year before they were snowed off.

Yes, get that tempo in, Gul!

It'll happen, GDawg, just stick with it.

My hip seems to have settled but there is a definite imbalance. I felt hammered after yesterdays 5 miler. Seeing chiro on Monday just to get straightened out. 11M over lunch with 8 at tempo planned.

Still waiting (im)patiently on NY. The lack of transparency etc is driving everyone mad. They won't answer whether everyone who has submitted an gfa applic will get a place subject to verification or whether they accepted more applics than places. There are people raising questions on twitter, insta, fb but no straight answers, plus people are now annoyed as we are beyond the initial 14 day period. Here and there people are popping up saying they have been accepted, but no rationale to it.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Gerard you are motoring now ,looking good for a very speedy half.
    0054 sore hip not causing too much drag with a sub 18 , brilliant pace !
    Gdawg we are all due one of those good days lol
    GUL enjoy that tempo 
    DT shame NY are making an ar*e of what should be a simple process , frustating !

Just wanted a small session so 6 x 400m/60 secs off  after work last night (1:33 one way and 1:30 the other mostly with a cheeky 1:25 chasing down another runner opps can't help myself ! ) and 5m easy tonight.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Nice pace on the final 400m Leslie - a target always helps!

Hope the chiro can sort the hip out DT.  The NYC delay must be frustrating - but I'm sure you'll be fine!

Need to get that tempo run done Gul! Good recovery miles.

Good steady miles G-D.  Be patient, the uplift will come!

Well done on the sub 18 5K OO - excellent pace - have you had the physio/chiro look at the hip?

Super pace on the 9 miler Gerard.  Which HM are you doing?

7 recovery miles with strides yesterday and then 13.1 miles slightly progressive in 1:41 today.

The change in the London Marathon start time to 9:30am is good news - of course 9:00am would be even better!

22 miles planned for Sunday.  Not quite sure on the optimal timing given Storm Dennis - late Sunday is looking like the best option but I'm just hoping I can avoid having to do 22 miles on the treadmill.

• DT - how did the tempo run go? Hope the hip is sorted out on Monday. NY admin sounds rubbish.
    Leslie - nice turn of speed 😀
    SBD - best option for the 22 miler was during the week ;)
    Did the tempo this morning. 10 miles with 6 at LT. 6:31, 6:30, 6:40, 6:21, 6:20. Pleased with that after Thursday's session. Will take a rest tomorrow rather than struggling against Dennis; wouldn't be much of a recovery run! 69 for the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie, nice reps. 

SBD- Good going. I'm looking at after 2pm for my run tomorrow i think. 22 on tmill does not bear thinking about. 

Gul, that's a pretty meaty tempo, finishing good and strong. 

So village bakery got cancelled first thing this morning. Glad i made my decision Wednesday so i picked training up. Tempo had to be deferred to the evening as again, race course flooded. 8m up and down a 2m stretch of a38 is unpleasant but serves it's purpose. I cant hit normal tempo paces on there as parts are uneven, narrow, poorly lit etc so generally settle for an mp type pace. Came out 6.41 average for 157bpm, so sub mp type effort so reasonable enough. 

Just spin this morning. 17 planned tomorrow. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add, re the vmlm start time change. 9.30am is ok, gives me more pub time afterwards. i wouldnt want to start any earlier than that mind. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Another massive total Gul, congrats.
    Good call DT would have been a miserable day, so well avoided.
    Strange day here. I picked up a gold in the vet relays for the NE counties. But only after the winning team were disqualified for an ineligible runner. I'll see what the legs can stand tomorrow but should scrape 50 for the week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Nice switch on runs,I'm wondering if NY had to wait to see how many of the guaranteed entries from NYRR races took up their places by the deadline so can now allocate the others,glad mine was straight forward last year.
    SBD-Good luck with 22 tomorrow,no chance around here.
    Gul-Nice tempo paces.
    OO-Good win,not your fault they had a ringer.Do you remember what the ones were like in Seville? I've been put in the 3-3:15 pen and don't want to get caught at the back.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the relays gold, oo. 

Ian, I've seen someone else suggest that they are waiting to see how many nyrr guaranteed places get taken before finalising this debacle. 

you'll want to place yourself pretty far up there, Ian. Though i wouldn't go to the front as you'll get caught up with people going off quite a bit faster than sub 3 pace for certain. I think the eorst thing someone on the cusp of sub 3 can do is get caught up going 6.45 or below. Been there and had the blow up. 

Worst of weather passed over night so will get out for a blustery 17 soon. 
  • Nice relaying, OO.

It's safe to say I'm not enjoying Storm Dennis...  I did my club session on Thursday so I was a bit tired on Friday.  When I looked at the forecast Friday lunchtime it was saying 40mph winds or stronger all weekend from 6/7am on Saturday, so I decided I would go home and try and get my long run done that afternoon.  It was ok at first, but became a death march (9.30m/m for the last few miles!) as I was clearly under-fuelled, dehydrated and tired.  Bleurgh.  Still, 20 miles at 8.49m/m definitely counts as time on feet (and actually brought up 76 for the last 7 days, which would explain the tiredness)!  I was knackered on Saturday, but did 5 miles (at about the same place as the long run, just feeling a bit more spritely).  This morning 9 miles to bring up my planned 62 for the week.  Praying for calmer weather next week: I am not strong enough to run in 20mph winds, let alone 40-50!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great totals from Jools and Gul
    Congrats on the gold bling OO.

Despite the windy conditions, the first 9 miles of my 16 miler yesterday felt very strong, best Saturday run of the campaign. Then, out of nowhere the inside of my left knee and into the top of the leg felt very hot and painful. I was contemplating a rescue call to the wife, it was very painful.
    It settled a bit and I was able to hobble on.
    Got the run done, 8.08 avg with some encouraging signs apart from the knee issue.

Iced it several times all afternoon and evening. Felt much better this morning so went for a recovery. Wore a knee brace and hit the trails. 5 miles of swamps in high winds and pouring rain. Flooded fields were shin high and I had to negotiate recently fallen trees. It was great fun, and the knee was fine.

48 for the week.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Jools - big mileage and well done on getting the long run in. Did you do harbour 1Ks on Thursday? I was supposed to go but feeling a bit off.
    Hope the knee stays strong G-Dawg
    OO 
    - congrats on the win, and a great run at the Great local thingy
    Hope the NY confirmation comes through soon DT

Cardiff 20/10 was cancelled late yesterday due to worries on the Taff bursting banks onto the paths - which by today it had; so a good decision. Managed to get out for a 20 miler on the bike path in Bristol anyway with a couple of clubmates; a lot of water but at least mostly out of the wind. 7:45ish average for the run and nice to get another 20 in though needed to be hillier, didn't eat or fuel during so a good test of depletion.

A slow week other than that, so don't think I even got 40miles overall.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Twenty miles in today's conditions is good going nicko.

Be careful with the knee G-D.

Well done on toughing out the 20 miles Jools and a good week on the mileage.

Good work on the gold medal OO - what was the race distance?

Hope you managed to get the LSR completed earlier DT.

A good pace on those tempo miles Gul.  Sadly no time machine here!

Conditions were getting better here by mid-afternoon, so decided to hit the local roads for the scheduled 22 miles.  Lots of water around, but nothing that couldn't be avoided and the wind, apart from a couple of stretches directly in to the wind and the odd gust, wasn't too bad.  A bit sluggish for the first 10 miles (1:20:28), but then picked it up a little to give an average of 7:52.

Gives me 84 miles for the week.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    0054 nice to get a bit of bling 
    Jools good week and a 20 in the bag excellent.
    Gdawg Hope the knee behaves 
    Nicko a very decent 20 miler 
    Gul id say that tempo went very well indeed.
    SBD 22 and a massive week again fair play.

Glenmore 10 mile today as the storm was coming in , on the way down sleet and 1c and it looked nasty but by the start it had calmed quite a bit and the sun came out . The first 5 miles it stayed like this then it got a tad worse as time went on , wind really picked up , bit of sleet and hail and by the finish the timer blew over and the finish funnel was trying to take off lol and railings had blown over and it was BITTERLY cold felt about -10 !
    Thursday's small speed session had me struggling to hold the pace at the start but felt ok after halfway , it was quite a nice scenic course that followed the river quite a bit , I had been trying to catch 2 runners for miles and almost gave up by mile 9 when my legs found a little extra to nip past but one caught me and went past like I was stopped 100m before the finish , nothing left to do anything about it despite a 6:35 last mile.  Passed a lot of slowing runners in the second half which was nice and was a good day out despite the weather.

Time 1:08:25 and 64th out of 524 so 6:50 average pace so please enough with that and 45 mile for the week .......

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ian I was in sub 3 pen at Seville but it all felt very relaxed and the field is not huge anyway.
    Great mileage Jools. I can  imagine you'd get blown about a bit 😉
    SBD the relay was 2.2 miles and I averaged 5.48 per mile pace.
    Leslie well done on the 10 miler in what sounds like grim conditions.
    Another slow 20 miler today for a 55 week. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ive done a few of them, Jools. As you say it's good time on feet. 

Nice work on the 20 milers Nicko and oo. 

Solid 22, SBD and great weekly total. 

Gdawg, glad to hear the knee pain was just temporary. Good work on yesterdays 16. 

Good work on the 10m leslie. Sub 90 half pace on a poor day. 

So with todays junior rugby cancelled last night i decided to have a beer, then some prosecco then some wine last night knowing i wasn't going out until after midday. The weather sermed ok this morning then about 11 it got more unsettled. Went out about 12 30 and within a mile or so was into shin deep flood water so immediately gave up hope of keeping my feet dry. It was a miserable first 12 as it rained and i was largely running in a south westerly direction to straight into the wind. Whilst i felt fine around the house from last nights drinks in this scenario it made everything much harder. 

17m done and at about 15.5m the wind and rain in the space of minutes just disappeared and gave way to almost perfect conditions.

So back to a taper this week, however the early forecast for next sunday has a 20mph wind forecast. I want to get a race in though so it's happening come what may. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    DT - not ideal conditions for your tempo run, so a good effort. Well done slogging out your long run too. You deserve some better weather for next Sunday!
    OO - congrats on the gold; they all count. Decent miles too.
    Jools - just think of it as good resistance training :)
    GD - hope the knee is still okay. Take care.
    Nicko - good work getting the 20 miler in the bag.
    SBD - tidy long run. Cracking week. Just 10 to go now!
    Leslie - great effort in those conditions.
    13 miles this morning at a steady 7:40/m. Checking the forecast before planning the rest of the week (15M MLR and 18 w. 12 @ MP are the 2 main items on the menu).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

good start to the week, Gul. Yes, always worth marrying the big runs up with the weather.

Just seen Tokyo have cancelled the mass race so just an elite race happening. You'd be pretty gutted if you'd made it in and had it all booked up etc. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Indeed DT, I applied in the Tokyo ballot. Glad now I got rejected. It does show the importance of a cancellation option on hotels, though flights would be a bit more tricky.
    Nice 13 and pacing there Gul. No swimming this week as its half term so I'm also thinking about a high mileage week. Then a slight cut back the week after in prep for the Trafford 10k.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, you either travel anyway and have the holiday (which sort of defeats the object of what the organisers are trying to do) or you cancel what you can.

I wonder whether this would trigger anything in a travel ins policy that would provide a refund, or indeed if there is specific insurance you can buy for this (just thinking I've Berlin and hopefully NY planned this year!).

I know that there is some  level of race day insurance that comes with strava premium.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Devastating news for those who have booked tokyo,that is one of the reasons my abroad races tend to be in places I like to visit,as you never know what will happen or if an injury will occur.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Just checked the forecast for next sunday morning in Loughborough. It's now changed to 40 mph winds!!! One day.....
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've just booked up for the Geneva half in May. What could go wrong....
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I've had enough of this weather now, it's becoming a real pita. I felt a bit of a twinge in my right knee early last week, probably caused by all of the hilly runs I've been doing, so I decided to have a recovery weekend and only did a few short light jogs. Hopefully the weather and knee settle down this week. 5k on lunch today, did a hilly one and the knee seemed ok. I hope it's alright tomorrow. I note that the 5k road WR was broken the other day. He ran 12:51. That's 4:08 mm avg pace. Absolutely crazy pace. 

SBD - I am doing a local half. It's being organised by The charity Hospice, these events are usually well supported. It's the first version and a new course, so I just fancied it and it's been years since I've done a half. Big weekly score from you too. 

DT - Still time for it to change, fingers crossed. I loathe windy conditions. 

Jools - good miles.

OO - that's a great weekly total too. 

Leslie - conditions sounded awful so well raced in your 10 miler. 

Nicko - well done getting your 20 miler done. 

Gul - great consistency. Are you doing any specific sessions for your half? 

G-Dawg - How's the knee now?

• Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Inspiring world record run by Joshua Cheptegei in 10km and 5km road races. He took 27 secs off the old 5km road time in Monaco, epic run in the Nike Vaporfly Next%, first man under 13 mins in 5km road race with 12:51. Cheptegei is clear favourite to win the double in 5,000m and 10,000m at the Tokyo Olympic Games. He might set world records in both 5,000m and 10,000m to win Gold medals in Tokyo Olympic Games.

2020 will see an epic showdown in the Marathon between Eluid Kipchoge(marathon world record holder) and Kenensia Bekele(5,000m and 10,000 track world record holder). Only 2 seconds between them and a new marathon world record could be set in the marathon this year. First sub 2:01 marathon or possibly a sub 2 hour marathon in an official race that counts?
  • That's such a huge margin on the 5K record, quite ridiculous.

Club run last night was supposed to do it as the usual progression but felt the 20 in the legs from Sunday and the front pack picked up pace on the way out accidentally, I had very little to give for the way back.

Miles came out 7:41, 7:24, 7:05, 7:11, 7:03, 6:40 and 6:16 final quarter mile burst. Felt every single step.