Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done, Lit, no doubt you'll be the first overdone home in London!! Especially now that you have some fancy fast trainers.

Good work on the 5m skinny.

Muddy, yes it has been a pretty big block, though not dissimilar to what I did this time last year.

I have pretty much decided to bin off Wrexham on sunday. Therefore I am going to pick things back up for a few days then I am going to taper again and run the Leicestershire half mara the following weekend. It looks like a decent enough route with a bit more elevation than Wrexham but still in the realms of sensible but half the journey for me on raceday.

• macemace ✭✭✭
    literatin said:
    Yeah, I'm still quite shit, just not totally shit. :)

Totally shit would be me 

I'm getting some vaporfly so i can go sub 10M/M
  • All fair points, muddy, and as I said previously I haven't got a particular problem with anyone using whichever shoes they like. However, for me, I'd like any improvements in my times/PB's/race positions to be comparable to where I was previously (as much as is possible) rather than any advances in shoe technology. Again, as I'm not particularly concerned about chasing PB's it's probably easier for me to accept that than it is for others. Perhaps this is why I am more and more drawn to XC and fell running as it is more about testing yourself against the conditions on the day and trying to beat the person in front of you as opposed to your final finishing time.

Hypothetical question; if the first iteration of the Nike shoes were due to be released now and World Athletics knew in advance what the performance gains and their impact on world records would be, do you think they would allow them?

I'm sure rival companies would say they want there athletes to be as competitive as they can be but in reality they want as big a share of the market as possible and having top athletes obliterating world records certainly helps. Working in the Nike Next % marketing department must be a pretty easy job! I'm sure over time they will all catch up, once they've negotiated their way passed the army of Nike patent lawyers.   

Anyway, enough of that, I did some running this morning; 4 miles and it was sodding freezing.

• mace said:
    literatin said:
    Yeah, I'm still quite shit, just not totally shit. :)

Totally shit would be me 

I'm getting some vaporfly so i can go sub 10M/M
    Billy Bunter! Welcome back - how fat are you now?

Hi Mace - how are you? If you’re not running any more I’m pleased you’ve still popped in here and hope you are winning all the local pool leagues.

I couldn’t decide which to write so wrote them both. Cheers, Skinny
  • MACE! How's it going?

DT - I looked at Leicestershire half, but it's the day after the National XC so doesn't work for me. That's the one Bob has entered, but he's still struggling with his calf so not sure he'll make it. It's pretty exposed at Prestwold and it's always really windy over the airfield but other than that it's fairly flat round there. I'm considering Hose half marathon in April which is traditionally 2 weeks out from London, it's not particularly flat but is a nice race.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mace, update us on the last 12 months??

Tommy, the problem I have is that March is already full with Knighton 20, a trip to the rugby and Mothers day so I either get a half in now ish or early April. Coventry was in contemplation but it is only 3 weeks from London so not ideal to race a half. Essentially that leave this weekend and next as my only options. Long term forecast to next sunday looks ok. Though other than it starting and finishing at Prestwold and your mention of an airfield, I know nothing about it.

Let me know closer to the time what Bob is planning and if he is there i'll keep my eye out for him.

Re Nike marketing, I think the current tagline would be along the lines of 'so good they were almost banned'. All this recent business has surely been tremendous advertising for the shoe.

• How do I start a new thread?
  • kjarvo89 said:
    How do I start a new thread?
    I think as a new member you can’t - you have to wait until you have made x number of posts - sorry don’t know the number.

You could tell us on here and we could start the new thread for you?

Cheers, Skinny
  • Hi Mace! Hi Lit!  The gang are back together again, yay! 

DT - I'm having similar thoughts 're. Coventry. That it might be a tad close. I'm going to do Redford as an A race and then if I'm shit at Redford I might do Cov. Or I might just do it as a marathon paced run for fun. 

Decent couple of days running for me. The 6 miles at LT pace session was a bit marred by the wind yesterday but came out at ave of 7.05 which is not too bad. Then a 12 miler in the sun was nice but a bit chilly. Rest day tomorrow I think. 
  • McFlooze said:
    Hi Mace! Hi Lit!  The gang are back together again, yay! 
    Well apart from Bob and Lou - anyone seen Lou?
  • The cheattrainervirus - it's killing loads of people in China.

6.25 miles (10k in Pete speak) done this morning before work in the pissing rain.

That's a lunchtime run and a morning run before work in the last two weeks - starting to feel like part of my life again.

• Tommy - I think the data on the performance of the shoes was available very early on in their development so not sure whether that question is even hypothetical. Honestly I think they wouldn't have done a thing - record breaking is box office. I know I tuned into Kipchoge's run on YouTube knowing full well the contrived nature of it whereas I could probably live without watching the marathon at the World Champs.

I would love to be able to race in my much loved Saucony Virrata and compare times, but they've worn out and I can't get them any longer. They were zero drop though, did leave my calves battered, and the foam collapsed in the forefoot so it's not all rose tinted memories of them.

So in what capacity are you involved in London this year Mace ? Are you back for good ? 

McFlooze - Seems like P&D ? How do you count the cross country runs in that planning ?

Work took its toll on me yesterday, got home late and hungry so didn't get out. Oh well. 
  •  mace said:

We wait all day eagerly for Mace's next post and then this - disappointing ;)
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Skinny - proper fat fecker !! I was 15.7 before xmas but am around 14.7 now, mainly due to dry January ( and no pool !! ) and improved diet. I haven't read back properly over the last year or so but can see you appear to be back in the game which i'm pleased about.  :)

As for an update on what i've been doing, DT .... not much really. PF ended up scuppering my London Marathon run and it was quite bad for about a month then eased off. I started jogging a bit in October but a combination of the weather and my shit fitness soon ended that dalliance. I have done a bit since beginning of January and it does seem that the PF has totally cleared now. I'm still determined to give it a go and won't give up.

muddy - i can just about manage a 4 miler at the moment and my GFA ran out so any presence would only be as a spectator. You seem to be going great guns

Hello to everyone else  :)

• I wonder if 6 miles of 10.5 stone (63) is the equivalent of 4 miles of 14.5 stone (58).

I've never really run 4 miles - I've always been a 3 miles or 5 miles guy.

Anyway your knees have my best wishes (you can still probably just about see them unlike your cock - do you know the weight at which point you can no longer see it? That could be your next target!).

Thanks for being pleased I'm back in the game - it's not ideal running in fear of foot pain but for now it's surviving with minor grumbles and I'm enjoying it whilst I can.

• mace said:
    I'm still determined to give it a go and won't give up.

I make that a back for good then. My average run length is under 5  miles, so you're good to go !

Sorry it all went wrong for London. It did for me too but all good now. My GFA may have lapsed too (I don't quite remember the rules), so I'm going to have a crack at Manchester as it's cheaper overall if something goes wrong.

•  
    My average run length is under 5  miles, so you're good to go !

That's surprisingly low - lots of daily doubles presumably. 

Even mine since start of December is 6.36 miles and I haven't run over 10 miles and I'm not training for a marathon.

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, averaging 40-ish miles per week and having a couple of rest days and some double days. But thinking about the non-double days they might include warm up and cool down runs that are much shorter and logged separately and bring the average run length down ...

e.g 10km race with 2 miles up and 2 miles down = a 10 mile day but a 3.4 mile average run length.

I'll crunch the numbers from January and see if they are different.
  • Wah, I tripped over a non-existent bollard on my warm-up yesterday (highly visible stripy bollard had been removed from its normal place, so I tripped over the empty metal socket) and instead of doing a track session, spent ages sitting in the sports centre while a first-aider cleaned gravel out of my arm with antiseptic wipes. :( So I now have spectacular grazes on both knees and an alarmingly deep cut in one elbow, but seem to be moving all right today so will have a go at running later.

On a more positive note, my cheaty new shoes arrived! I cannot afford carbon plates, so they're just made of magic foam (the New Balance Fuelcell Rebel) but they feel bouncy and fast and only weigh 180g. Looking forward to trying them out.
  • <downward facing thumb> <upward facing thumb>
  • That's a bugger Lit, when I've had falls in the past I've had ongoing issues around the hips so fingers crossed you didn't get too bashed about.

You have to have this in your head when you run in those shoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6bI_95G9I

8 miles in an hour in the dark and rain last night - was touch and go whether I got out though - feeling a bit tired at the moment.
  • Ouch for falling over, Lit. But happy for the new shoes. 

Lou is still around but has become a Crossfit obsessive who runs a bit rather than the reverse. He is well. Did XC the other week in quite a leisurely time. But he's more hench than he used to be. 

Muddy  - yes, P and D. I just tend to not do the LT run that week if I'm doing XC. Close enough. Then the long run the next day has extra benefits from running on tired legs even though it feels horrid at the time. 

Going to get out early tomorrow and try and sneak my 20 in before the worst of the weather comes in. Anyone parkrunning? Have you had snow up your way, Skinny? 
  • Not really no. Some on the hills around Carlisle but not a great deal.

Thanks for the Lou update - do you prefer hench  Lou or runner Lou? You don’t have to answer but I think Mrs Skinny would prefer I was more into getting hench than getting fast at running 10ks but other than press ups I can’t really be arsed.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Lit, whenever I've fallen ive had hip issues afterwards so be careful. 

you'll need to have got out pretty early to get 20 in before the bad weather mcf, looking outdoors now. i think cov would need to be limited to an mp run.

mace, any ambitions of getting back to former glorys?

Skinny, still going well.

So i decided based on forecast to bin off sundays race so picked up normal training from Thursday. Racecourse has flooded again so 8m tempo up and down a38 last night. Woke up this morning to an e mail saying race cancelled so good decision. 

Talking of hench (or not) i was 10,12 on this mornings weigh in, down from 11,6 at start of January. 

I have shifted my mon-fri breakfast and lunch to huel, amongst some other small changes, which seem to have tipped the balance. 
  • For Muddy and DT - if these shoes were banned would you feel like that you could never run a PB again or have you forgotten how good these shoes are after wearing them for a while?

Apologies, missed this question. I think I would be able to run a marathon pb without the shoes, my previous best was in a relatively heavy pair of shoes and there are very decent alternatives to those, now that I know the approx. rankings of shoes. I’m also confident from heart rate data that I have more capacity than when I was around 17.02/34.47/1.17.36 in my Saucony shoes, so yes I think pbs would still be possible in lightweight racers. I would be utterly battered by them though. That’s something I won’t forget about the Vaporflys !
  • Ran for 93 mins this morning (I’m giving myself 11 miles) along all the river routes - flood plains all flooded but no residential property affected and not as high as last week.

At one point the path was completely covered in water for about 100 yards so adopted a John Cleese silly walk running style but when water is calf deep it didn’t really help so had to squelch the remaining 3 miles back home.

Off to Poland this afternoon so hope the wind direction a bit!
  • How did the 20 miles go McFlooze.

DT nice few pounds lost.

Weather brutal Skinny in Glasgow over the past few days. 11 miles :) Enjoy Poland

Not mangaged out over the past few days due to work :(  Not many miles last week too, treating it as a recovery week but already stressing about Manchester and miles/pace others are doing :s

Hello Mace