The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    There is Boston UK HM and M on the 19 April??
  • Hopefully your insurance will come good.

MrM2 I was indeed tempted by the 777, possibly a retirement project in 10 or so years.

Hopefully your storm has passed in the UK, was a beautiful 32 degrees here today.

And with the talk of local races, my last was Dubai marathon which is a 20 min drive away. Before that was Kathmandu, 4 hour flight, next Cape Town a 9 hour flight!!
  • And update to my miles

13.2 3.11
    14.2 15.02
    15.2 3.09
    16.2 3.06
    17.2 11.06 and 3.33

YTD 260.11 miles

• I suppose that is the silver lining, Gipfel - you can make sure you're fully recovered for your next marathon.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Cal, yes, that's the way I'm looking at it. With the best will in the world, and despite my hard rehab work (and the physio saying a few days ago that I'd had a better recovery than could have been expected), I know I'd have still struggled with the marathon distance - I just don't have the (recent) miles in my legs, and I'm sure the ankle would have complained too. I hope your insurance does pay out - you'd really have thought it should, considering you got it with the flight! 

TT, those Boston races look interesting - flat and good value - thanks for pointing them out! I'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks...

• Gipfel and Cal: were probably people who'll never meet but the moment I heard the Tokyo news I thought of you both. You must be so disappointed. Hopefully money spent can be recovered.

Harmander: pity about your weekend marathon. Oh, and great pacing. 

Hobie: without checking, I'm speculating you're the only one from our group who tackled 'Dennis' head on. Well done sir. 

5 miles and 10k, both on the treadmill, since last updating. 

Ytd: 159.0
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the day's news...So sorry for you both, Cal and Gipfel, and hope that you will be able to get by without too much expense. Can't imagine the frustration!!

Did my own mini-triathlon today; At the gym: 10km bike in 19:36, treadmill 5k (26:26) and a 250m swim (6:08)....transitions were something else!! Ankle seems to be much better so plan to test it with a real run tomorrow (with running daughter).
    YTD: 274'.
  • Thanks folks - I'm OK about it, actually - it's more the money than anything. I've turned my focus to Manchester now - I will have a better chance at a good time there now I don't have to worry about recovering from Tokyo (I wasn't sure about PBing in Tokyo anyway due to jet lag).

Well done Donnie and MrM2 on your indoor efforts.

10 miles at a steady pace today.

YTD: 315
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Back in the gym! Neighbours have scaffolding up for the roof........

Decided I would talk to anyone who would while on the treadmill, that and working out how many seconds left, and some calculations on seconds per metre (0.33 average) I made it through 11.04 

YTD: 215.27
  • 3:52 marathon pace TT,
    Did 11.10 miles yesterday so
    YTD =356.65 miles.
    Just heard about Storm Ellen next week  - ho hum, pacing at the Big Half should be fun.
  • Only 103 miles this year, although January was a very quiet month. I've got the Afan trail half on Monday, which I'm treating as a training run. 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... well done for looking on the positives...it would eat you up otherwise.
    TT... 'good' treadmill session. Likewise...always doing complicated mental maths...
    Harmander... just one more challenge! You can do it.

As mentioned, went out with daughter yesterday for a 6' run. Looking at the weather forecast I decided that today was going to be the best chance for a long run. Ran the same loop as yesterday, but three times, making 18'. As soon as I got going I knew that I wasn't as fit as I had hoped to be, so faded over the last three miles. The 6' splits were 60:52, 60:47 and 62:04, giving an o'all av. pace of 10:12/mile (6:21/km).
    YTD: 298'.
  • FFS another storm? It was very windy last year at the Big Half - going over Tower Bridge was a bit scary with all the gusts.

Nice one MrM2 and pre-emptive congrats on the 300.

Is that in Wales, topolino?

8 mile recovery run today - lots of niggly bits. Ugh.

YTD: 323
  • It is Cal near Port Talbot.
  • I thought so because of the "fan". :D
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Wow Harmander no wonder you are such a good pacer. Cal we are still in the middle of the last storm, or if this is a new storm then I think I missed the break. MrMr2 how do you keep motivated round a loop?

Intervals this morning: the one advantage of a treadmill!

10.42 miles so 

YTD: 225.69
  • Harmander mentioned Storm Ellen (I think it was Ellen) which suggests a new one.
  • The Met Office has revealed the truth behind claims Storm Ellen and Francis will be the next storms to hit Kent.

The last two storms brought some pretty miserable weather to the UK and caused disruption to travel across Kent.

And following on from the chaos of Storms Dennis and Ciara, it has been widely reported that Storm Ellen and Francis will be battering the UK in the weeks to come.

• All this talk of storms does not make me miss the British winter, sitting in my garden temps mid 20s and sunny blue skies.

18.2 3.41
    20.2 12.05
    21.2 10.08

YTD 285.65 miles

• Those in the USA seem to have dealt with Stormy Daniels a few years ago - lol
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Dubairunner, so jealous! The UK weather really is hideous at the moment. Can't believe it's the third weekend of storms in a row - hope people's races aren't affected too much - just saw something about the 'wet weather route' being deployed for the Rhyl 10 miler tomorrow.

I see a lot of people are doing some decent indoor running. I like the idea of the mini-triathlon, MrM2 - it would have been hilarious if you'd really gone for the transitions and rushed around the gym from one thing to another! I'm still sticking with the treadmill too for now - tried a couple of mile intervals the other day, which was a good way of showing up the fitness I've lost. However, I have got over my Tokyo cancellation disappointment by deciding to go anyway and do a bit of my own running/sightseeing in a more relaxed fashion - completely changed my mind in a day, after initially thinking on Monday that I wouldn't go. There are some very cheap hotels to be had now, which tipped the balance in the end. Cal - it seems that a lot of people are having good luck with getting flight refunds after being told no at first, so keep trying if you aren't getting anywhere through your insurance - I'm sure at least some people have done ok through Expedia too. One thing I'll consider for future foreign race trips is always to book directly through the airline, even if it costs more - people who've done this seem to have found it easier to get somewhere (reviews of the third-party agent I used don't make me think I'd have much luck myself, although to be fair, I've not actually tried).

YTD 26
  • Did 13.71 miles yesterday but feel I am not keeping up to the required distance to achieve my end of year target (2622 miles) - tempted to go for another one today but wary it will mean four consecutive days of running - something I have always attempted to avoid since moving up to longer distances in the 1980's (used to do 10,000 m
    YTD = 370.37 miles
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal...crossed the line today.
    TT...My 6' loop is half 'traffic-free', taking me to Hengistbury Hd which has the sea on one side and Christchurch Harbour on the other. So, quite a pleasant route. The loop means that I'm never more than 3' from home, and any adverse wind is not there for too long before it becomes favourable. I've done the double a few times but this was my first treble. The repeated splits show just where I am slowing, so I do a simple analysis...not very technical, but I do enjoy my data...

YTD:304'.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Senior moment...should have said that I managed a slow 6' run this afternoon. Everything seemed to be hard-going. Probably need an extra recovery day...and how about a storm-free day ???
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done passing 300 MrM2.

I'm also jealous of you Dubai,with your lovely weather.Fed with this weather now.

Sorry to hear about Tokyo Gipfel,at least you're going to make the most of it.Just read your bit about Rhyl,I'm just about to leave the house for Rhyl,not looking forward to it!

Because of the weather not much running for me,used the treadmill a couple of times but I hate it.

17.02 - 8.38
    19.02 - 3.85
    20 .02 - 3.1
    YTD - 195.88

• Congrats on the 300 MrM2,
    I did venture out for a fastish (for me) 10.48 miles yesterday and paid the price in my parkrun pacing for 31:45 today - did 31:46 (I also blame the little kids ahead of me during parkrun - the little buggers offer little or no windbreak). Anyways, the 10.19 mile parkrun sandwich takes my YTD = 391.04 miles
    I make that a 60 mile week

• I did a repeat of Southwark today as I have Hampton Court half tomorrow and didn't want a long trek to a new parkrun (since I have to go out of London to find one I haven't run yet). I got 25:11 last time I ran it, which was in 2018, so I was hopeful I could smash that. As it was, wind and my Garmin playing up made it a close call and I only managed 25:09. Better than nothing but not as good as I was hoping for.
    That and the one mile warm-up made it

YTD: 327
  • Miserable conditions have seen me at the gym so 11 treadmill miles across three visits plus a muddy and windy parkrun today since last updating. 

I suspect I'm one of the group whose happy with the treadmill. I like the company of the people I know there and the TV screens to pass the time. 

Ytd: 173.1
  • Well done on passing 300 miles MrM2, yet another blustery day here in Wild West Wales...went out to remind my legs what fast feels like on a 6:57 a minute 3 miler...ended on the beach.
    175 miles YTD 
  • 5.02 miles in 30 degree heat, just couldn’t find any shade.

YTD 290.67 miles