Running Rodent
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt - 62399
    Ahlovethecake
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
    NatMac - 71283

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Jimbob. Smart move missing Sunday's run. Have you seen anyone about your knee? You wouldn't want Paris to kick it off and knacker London.
    It certainly sounds like these Nikes really do give an advantage to the wearer and I'm not sure how I feel. Not because its making others faster but because i wouldn't feel that I'd earned the time. Along the lines of getting a PB but knowing the course was short.
  • Exciting with the running numbers - 34020

Probably time to look at booking some flights, accommodation and sorting out a medical certificate.
  • Orbutt said:
    Jimbob. Smart move missing Sunday's run. Have you seen anyone about your knee? You wouldn't want Paris to kick it off and knacker London.
    It certainly sounds like these Nikes really do give an advantage to the wearer and I'm not sure how I feel. Not because its making others faster but because i wouldn't feel that I'd earned the time. Along the lines of getting a PB but knowing the course was short.
    The shoes do give you something DEFINITELY. I find they force you to keep your form when the wheels start coming off, and discourage scrunching into a tired shuffle at 22 miles.  I don't feel too bad about it though as my better days were in big clunky Brooks. i'm not expecting to trouble those times even in the Vaporflys. Its a legal shoe mate. Treat yourself. 

As for the knee, its kind of a wear and tear type thing. I haven't seen anyone but I will if it gets worse. Its a bit better than it was, since I've relaxed the training and taken the pressure off. Its just a bit frustrating that I can't really crank it up. February is the month where you have to MAKE IT HAPPEN! 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob - 3886
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish - 10102
    chamolk - 10965
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73 - 19915
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj  - 29321
    Nells - 29136
    wheatism - 33823
    Pistol101 - 34020
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis - 39179
    PT_71 - 49357
    GLit74 
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27 - 33931
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B - 29329
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Orbutt - 62399
    Ahlovethecake
    maccazz
    NatMac - 71283
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Pistol - best get your finger out, or are you holding out in case of cancellation 😂
  • My bib's 19772, which means I'm joining Eggyh73 in the blue pen.

Have been meaning to post for a while - did anyone else get an email a few weeks back saying their medical certificate has been turned down, because it's not valid? The thing is, I haven't uploaded this year's yet - they seem to have checked the one I uploaded last year again as it's still on the site.

Pistol101 might be in luck because from what I've seen hotel prices for that weekend in April seem to be cheaper than they have been for the past few years. Is this coronavirus having an effect on tourism, or is it because the race is earlier this year and not in the middle of school holidays, or something? I booked a place the other night and it was cheaper than the price their site quoted a month ago the last time I looked.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Jimbob - 3886
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish - 10102
    chamolk - 10965
    Eggyh73 - 19915
    jxmitchell - 19772
    Yer Maj  - 29321
    Nells - 29136
    wheatism - 33823
    Pistol101 - 34020
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis - 39179
    PT_71 - 49357
    GLit74 
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27 - 33931
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B - 29329
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Orbutt - 62399
    Ahlovethecake
    maccazz
    NatMac - 71283
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭

Pistol101 might be in luck because from what I've seen hotel prices for that weekend in April seem to be cheaper than they have been for the past few years. Is this coronavirus having an effect on tourism, or is it because the race is earlier this year and not in the middle of school holidays, or something? I booked a place the other night and it was cheaper than the price their site quoted a month ago the last time I looked.

I'd think it might be all the recent strikes and protests putting people off visiting. They've been going on for such a long time I'd imagine people would be wary of booking a visit.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    jxmitchell - welcome and thanks for de-cloaking. Tell us a bit about yourself. 
    I think Radar Sal had an email to tell her that her medical certificate was invalid. She ran it last year too.
    I think the issue, as you thought, is that it is uploaded to your TimeTo account and they don’t give you a new account every year. They can only see an uploaded file and have checked and rejected it.
    I take it you’ve got your replacement in hand?
    Sounds like you’ve been lucky with your hotel. I booked mine ages ago and it was about the same price that I’ve paid previously.
  • jxmitchell - Welcome to the thread. The blue pen is where all the cool kids hang out!
  • Historically i've never booked anything more than a few weeks out and had some great prices. The best time to book is about 3 weeks out when there is availability. It's a bit of gamble as there more registered runners this year.

Flights i should have booked a while ago! There are still some £60 fares on BA.
  • Nells said:

I'd think it might be all the recent strikes and protests putting people off visiting. They've been going on for such a long time I'd imagine people would be wary of booking a visit.
    I don't think i've ever been to Paris without someone being on strike!
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    > @Pistol101 said:
    > (Quote)
    > I don't think i've ever been to Paris without someone being on strike!

the last time I went to Paris was in '96 or '97 to see Oasis and it was cancelled due to a strike as they couldn't get the trucks through with their equipment on
  • did anyone else get an email a few weeks back saying their medical certificate has been turned down, because it's not valid? The thing is, I haven't uploaded this year's yet - they seem to have checked the one I uploaded last year again as it's still on the site.
    Me too - as others have said, this is a hangover for those who ran it last year. If you're feeling really bold, just take last year's cert, alter the year and send it back  :smiley:
  • Hi all, first time running Paris, and can't wait for it, reading the posts sounds like it's a great event. I'm in the red pen trying to crack 3hrs this time.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    bugler85 welcome to the forum.
    Paris is pretty flat, apart from the exits to a couple of the tunnels, so I’d say you were in with a good chance.
    The wisdom of crowds would seem to suggest that you get some Nike pink shoes, if you don’t already have some. 😊

How’s the training going, everyone?
    Did my first 20 on Sunday. It wasn’t pretty but it’s done
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Jimbob - 3886
    bugler85 - 6776
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish - 10102
    chamolk - 10965
    Eggyh73 - 19915
    jxmitchell - 19772
    Yer Maj  - 29321
    Nells - 29136
    wheatism - 33823
    Pistol101 - 34020
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis - 39179
    PT_71 - 49357
    GLit74 
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27 - 33931
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B - 29329
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Orbutt - 62399
    Ahlovethecake
    maccazz
    NatMac - 71283
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Orbutt">Orbutt</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">bugler85 welcome to the forum.
    Paris is pretty flat, apart from the exits to a couple of the tunnels, so I’d say you were in with a good chance.
    The wisdom of crowds would seem to suggest that you get some Nike pink shoes, if you don’t already have some. 😊

How’s the training going, everyone?
    Did my first 20 on Sunday. It wasn’t pretty but it’s done</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks Orbutt, plenty of great advice in this thread. My bib number is 6776 too by the way. Just managed to track that down. Can't justify the money on the pink shoes just yet though so will just try and move my legs fast enough without em 😂
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    bugler85 - Welcome to the thread.
    I hope you get your target time in Paris. It's been a good race to me over the years. I've set PB's there twice.
  • Thanks, Eggyh73 - looking at the route profile it looks like a great race, this will be my largest marathon by some distance so looking forward to running in a big event.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I know someone mentioned it before, but with coronavirus now in North Italy, it feels like there's more of a chance that the marathon might end up getting cancelled.

Orbutt - managed my first 20 miler of this training plan on Saturday. Miserable weather, but included the local parkrun at around mile 12.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I think we've just got to cross our fingers and wash our hands.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens in Barcelona and Rome, which are both before Paris. Especially Rome with the situation in Italy.

Chamolk i dont know how you do it with the park run. Mile 12 I'm generally feeling ok but I wouldn't want to go onto a 'race' situation  for the next 3 miles 🙄
  • Well, it's tempo pace rather than normal 5k pace. I do it mainly to tire my legs out more for the last bit of the run, so that on race day, the last 6 miles out so seems easier. I try some fast finish long runs too, but I find them worse than the parkrun, as there's usually a 5-10 minute rest whilst I wait for the parkrun to start
  • I got a call from Doctor's surgery telling me the doc wouldn't sign my medical form. I was told, even if she did a medical that she wouldn't want to sign as she didn't know if I'm physically able to run a marathon. Has anyone else faced this problem? I am going to have to get something done soon as the clock is now ticking.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Lots of people have had this problem.Some have even had to pay their doctor for a form
    I was lucky that my doctor was a marathon runner, so he signed.
    Now, I can't condone the following but some people have been known to create their own form using a stamp bought off the internet or even created in photoshop.
    In the end it's a tick box exercise but you need one to run but you may want to look into alternatives if your doctor wont do it
  • The wording on the medical cert refers to "contraindications" - whether or not there is a reason for certain medical treatments to be withheld. The entrant's level of fitness is not actually being questioned or tested.
    My medical cert (for which my long-standing GP charged $55 - ouch) is still pending - but my main concern is coronavirus, given the distance I'm travelling to get to that start line 😬
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac - for my first Paris my (different) doctor wanted to charge me as he said I needed a private consultation 🙄
    I know people who have paid lots of money just for a doctor to sign the form & stamp it.
    Some doctors have even altered the wording - which the french dont appreciate.
    Coronavirus is a bit of a worry, especially with all the travel. A friend of ours was due to be travelling to Tokyo for the marathon this weekend but that has been cancelled. She's not sure if she'll get any of her money back for flights etc
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I think I had to pay £10 for my first Medical Cert, which I thought was fair enough, but all the following years I don't think the GPs I saw knew they were supposed to charge so got it for free. Haven't sorted mine yet for this year  :#

I remember my first proper job, they told me I needed "a medical" from GP to complete my recruitment. Off I went as a fresh faced 21 year old only to be told by GP that my employer needed to give me a formal request letter and pay a fair bit of money, which my employer then never bothered doing. Not sure why they even needed a medical for a bog standard desk job, though I was on the rota to make tea/coffee every few weeks (as all the lowly paid females were :| ), so maybe they were just checking I was up to that task...
  • I ended up with two certificates and very different experiences!

First I contacted my GP surgery in Sussex, and they said to drop the "template" letter off and then come back in 2 days, pay £20 and that was it. I hadn't seen my GP in years and there were no questions or anything from the surgery admin staff.... no appointment needed, nothing! So I was happy to pay the £20 and all was good.

Also, since I actually work in Switzerland I went to my employers local occupational health department who also have a qualified doctor on-site. I had blood pressure, ECG, lung function test and a range of blood tests (haemoglobin levels, liver function etc.) and I was also asked about my family history and previous running experience. It took over 1 hour and two separate appointments beforte they signed the certificate. Being Switzerland I will not tell you what is cost... but a LOT!!!!

So I think experiences vary greatly... Either way... my certificate is still "pending" on Time.To but I will take both along when we pick up our bibs etc.