Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Rcouture - apologies, missed your earlier question.

Edinburgh on 24th May for me.

• Cozy - A good saying to remember is "trust the training/process".
    Ian - that's superb running from your OH. she will run a really good first marathon!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you're certainly capable of doing three sub 4's but just take one day at a time don't think about the subsequent days, it's so much mind over matter.   I'm assuming it's the same course all 3 days, if so that is the challenge especially as it's also multiple laps.

It's impossible to compare times at different LDWA events.  To guage the difficulty maybe look at the previous year's results.  There are some where you can stop for a meal on the way round, that distorts the times somewhat.

Ian - I'm of the same mind re Farah.  

Well done to your OH, I hope she's going to enjoy the taper now, she's worked hard at her training.

Cozy - don't get too focused on a set time, of course you have a goal in mind but the marathon is an unpredictable beast and on the day you just have to deal with what happens on the day.  The ultimate target time is double your half marathon time + 7 minutes but few runners achieve that, for various reasons.  Most will achieve + 10 to 20 minutes and for a first marathon it could be + 30.  So many factors can affect you on the day, plus of course not running too fast in the early stages which is so easy to do.

I know you have a race soon but it would be good if you could find another race, 10 miles or a half marathon one month before your marathon.  This would be the best way to calculate what your pace should be on marathon day.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Robert might know if mowzer is still running as they're in the same running club.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, Day 1 is Furzton Lake (17 laps), Day 2 is Caldecotte Lake Clockwise (7 laps), Day 3 is Caldecotte lake anti-clockwise (7 laps).  This may sound like overkill, but I've bought a cool box that plugs into the mains, so I can take my own breakfast, milk, sandwiches etc, without having to go to the supermarket regularly between the events.  I was thinking about leaving some proper food at the aid station so I'll think about what I may need.  At DD I left out sandwiches thinking that's what I'd fancy, but I just couldn't get them down.

Facebook tells me it was 2 years today since I got my PB at Malta!  And 1 year ago I was back in Malta, but it got cancelled :)  I'm not in the shape at the moment anyway, but maybe I'll get back there this year.  We'll see :)  

It feels really cold here today - rain, and a cold wind.  Haven't done much really except OH was off work so we went to the cinema to see Parasite which we really enjoyed.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good that there is some variation over the 3 days for your triple.

DD is a short ultra so hard to eat real food apart from a hasty mouthful.
    At the triple by day 3 you may be quite happy to stop for 5 minutes to eat.

Cool box sounds great.

Can I have your March marathons please? Suddenly realised it's March on Sunday.  

I have Ian's Barcelona, Robert's race on Sunday and Iain's races already on my list.

Bloody cold this morning, have only stuck my head out the window, can't work out if it's icy or not, bitter wind.
  • Morning. Did a super easy 8k last night as suggested and legs now feel alive this morning so thanks Shades! Plantar fascitiis seems to now just be a slight dull ache rather than a sharp pain when I wake up. Will continue to run easy today and tomorrow then speed work on Friday. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Rcouture.  Good that the legs feel better :)

Shades, I'm busy in March.  I've done 6 in a month before, but not in a shortened timescale like this.  Not sure if the 7th and 8th is sensible so close to the triple, so if I don't feel like Dorney Lake is a good idea I'll DNS that one, but obviously I'm hoping I'll be okay. 

1 March - LDWA Hannington Hike
    7 March - Groundhog Day Marathon
    8 March - Dorney Lake Marathon
    13 March - Enigma - 1
    14 March - Enigma - 2
    15 March - Enigma - 3
  • Thanks Shades, will check the calendar for an April half, I'd imagine there will be plenty.

5 miles last night as it was too icy in the morning, and 8 due for this evening, felt nice and bouncy last night which is always nice after feeling tired after Sunday.

• Big G - that's a busy March!!
    Cozy - Nice 5 miles. Yes, I think you'll have no problem finding an April half.
    Rcouture - Good that the legs feel better.

6 mile recovery run to work after kettlebells this morning. 5 mile planned for after work.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - You'll find out that I'm a great fan of recovery runs, good to hear the legs and the PF feel a lot better today.

Cozy - you've bounced back well too, especially as you were so tired.   Does the foot ache now?

Big G - thanks for your list....what are you going to do for the 2nd half of March? ;) 

As long as you don't have rotten weather for the Groundhog race, bad weather for a track race is truly awful, I'm sure you'll be fine for Dorney Lake.

Steve - never a lie in for you :)

Great circuits class followed by gym session, lower body today so I worked hard on my glutes.  Instructor has suggested changing my training plan in the gym again to kickstart my progress which has plateaued a bit.   We've agreed to do that when I start my races as I won't be able to do so many sessions in the gym from mid March.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sad to remove Cal's Tokyo marathon from the list :( 

• Steve - there looks to be a declaration of Arbroath half 4 days before my 40th birthday! That could be good fun, lots of braveheart, kilts and face paint I predict!

Shades - it does a wee bit, new trainers coming today, I think (and hope) that was the issue! I decided to wait until I could afford the ones I wanted and they'd came down from £75 to £62 so that was a nice wee surprise.

• No March marathon for me - I should have been on a plane today! But instead I went the the physio. He did his usual thing of sticking his elbow into bits of me (which hurt) and said I should avoid long runs until the bruise under my foot has calmed down a bit, but didn't seem to think it was a problem for Manchester, so that's good news. I'll try a shortish run tomorrow and see how that goes. I think my Epics will be OK - I reckon some of the issue was the fact that my Vaporflys are very narrow in the midfoot and may have rubbed the bump there. He thought the fact I'm very tight through the SI joint meant I would be landing a bit heavier than I normally would, so loostening that up should help it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - it's worth keeping an eye on shoe prices, some great bargains to be had.   Hope the new shoes sort the foot out, meanwhile stick to your plan of shorter run this weekend to give the foot time to heal fully.

Cal - I do feel for you missing out on your March marathon.

That's promising news from the physio.   You've trained well so you can get away without doing any long runs for a while.
  • Shades - just read the race list, I’m not doing the Olympic challenge anymore. Decided I want a Sunday where I don’t race but I will be doing a long run with my OH her running is coming on well.. she completed her 15th HM since August with 2 more in the next month. I think she is looking at doing her first ultra when she paces me on my 100. I hope I do need her so she can accomplish it. I’m very proud of her..
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, fingers crossed your foot issue gets better soon.

Shades, ha, ha!  If I get through those without injuring myself, I want to do well (comparatively) at Manchester, so I won't be entering any more in March.

I did just under 5-miles this morning.  It was sunny, but quite cold, although I had an enjoyable run out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - OK I'll take that race off the list.
    I assume that your OH is going to pace you for the last section of your 100 miler.
    She's really taken to this running lark.

Big G - I should think not to any more races in March.  Are you doing Tavy 13 this year?

I've scheduled my races carefully so that I hit my target race in August.  But there is a possibility that my first marathon might be cancelled.   The race organiser has had an accident and broken her femur, they've had to cancel the double marathon they were holding this weekend.  No word yet about the Spring Infinity event but she is still in hospital.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, Tavy 13 is in the Club Champs this year but I’m away on a (non running!) trip that weekend. It’s a great race - if I’d been here I’d have entered it. Are you doing it?  Shame about your event, hopefully it’ll still go ahead. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Decent few weeks ahead there.
    1st run back today,8 miles after work,just didn't feel like it the last 2 days but good again today,legs still have a tiniest piece of doms but cant feel it much.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Isn't NYC ballot result due any day?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I'm doing Tavy 13, I love that race, nice little taster for DD :o 

I do hope my March Infinity event does go ahead, I've had real difficulty lining up enough races to get to the right figure by August as so many marathons are on the same bloody day :#  I just have to hope that all my plans work out, no cancellations, no injuries or illness.  And of course I have to complete DD too to make the numbers right.   But I do have a back up plan, I've entered the Bunnyhop marathon on Easter weekend in Worcestershire.  I know you did a couple of their events and got 100MC to sanction them, I see their events are not on 100MC list, I assume because of low numbers of finishers, but the Easter one does get a lot more finishers.   Not that it bothers me as it's unlikely I'll rejoin 100MC club anyway.   But if I miss any of my planned races the my plan B is to do as many as I need too of their Hotrunner series in June to make the numbers up, or worse do a double at Plym Trail in May.  :'(

Ian - good to hear you are feeling better now and back running.

6 miles today, light rain but a bitter east wind on return run.   Legs very depleted after gym session, I did tweak the weights up again and it does drain my legs of glycogen.   Pilates will be a challenge this morning, gym will be OK as it's upper body today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yes, I'm not in NYC sadly.  Shame, but I'll keep trying other years.  

Shades, yes, it's strange they're not on the list.  I can't understand why more 100MCers don't do them because if the events got the numbers, I can't see why they wouldn't qualify.  I did have a very quick chat with the RD and he implied that he'd fallen out with 100MC a while ago, but I didn't dig any deeper.

Fingers crossed your events all come together then.  It's stressful though.  I only had it slightly when I got to my 50th as I wanted that to happen in Bruges.

As an aside, are we as runners concerned at all about this virus?  Is anyone considering not booking future foreign marathons because of it?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Big G-Bad news on NYC.As for foreign races,I have been checking most days and hoping it doesn't escalate in the US,esp with trump in charge, you can see him just banning all foreigners,then hopefully the summer should kill the virus,except all countries dont have summer when we do.
    We were looking at a couple of days in Venice in July but leaving that now so probably wont book anything until it settles down.
    6 today,the 2nd run back always seems harder than the first,and today was no different,same effort as yesterday but about 10 s/m slower,tomorrow should then be ok again.
    Some incredible times in seville and numerous records broken,most finishers under 2:08,10,11,12,13 and 14 in a marathon,smashed Valencia's record set in December 

•  Well done on the mileage Ian!

I heard Trump talking nonsense this morning by basically making a joke of the whole situation .... it's not as if people are dying from this!

Anyway! 8 miles last night, about 4 of them in heavy driving snow, I reckon by the end I was losing a fair bit of grip so probably done slightly more than the 8 miles my garmin told me! :D

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I wonder if the organisers of Boston and London etc are worried?  I suppose all it takes is for a couple of cases in London, for example, and it could be cancelled.  I keep reading about the Olympics possibly even being at risk, although nothing firm at all about that at the moment.  I'm trying not to be rude about fellow runners, but not all have the best of hygiene whilst running, and then getting supplies from aid stations.  I'm not some obsessive hypochondriac  but I have been wondering about that for ages at some of the events I do.  At those, there are lots of food supplies at the aid station, but some runners go rummaging through the boxes of sweets/biscuits and then other runners take food from those supplies afterwards.  I try not to think about that too much, but it's partly why I take my own supplies with me if I can (Kendal mint cake) and just eat that and only take water from the stations!
  • Ian - Good miles on your return.
    Cozy - Nice 8 miles.
    15 mile MLR today, nothing fast, but got it done, soaked through by the end though!! Right quad feels a bit tight, so will have a session on the foam roller tonight.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-At the minute I can see the Olympics being at big risk as that's where most of the cases are,and they can't just call them off with a few days notice like a single event,its not just the runners it's the amount of spectators these races attract.
    Steve-Good miles again,do you have any more races before manchester?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, it's the crowds that are the main issue.  Hundreds of thousands of people travelling in and out of Tokyo and around is not a good situation.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I expect the RD/100MC club fell out over the number of finishers, but it's chicken and egg, if it was on the list a lot more runners would do the events.  Last year the Bunnyhop had 16 finishers and 18 starters, I expect that race gets more as at Easter there aren't any marathons to choose from usually.  Anyway number of starters and finisher is not important to me so the Hotrunner series should suit me well if I need them and I should be able to get an entry at short notice.

Difficult to know what marathon organisers are planning when it comes to dealing with the Coronavirus.   But I can easily see London doing what Tokyo have done and just have the elite for Olympic qualifying times, and if/when the USA start getting multiple cases then banning travellers from certain countries.  I do think the Olympics could easily be cancelled/postponed.

I think if you worried about other folk's lack of hygiene we'd never go anywhere or eat anywhere else again so I think just try and not think about it.  It's not just runner's lack of hygiene it's the general public, they tested those order screens in McDonalds didn't they and they all had faecal matter on them...sorry if anyone is having an early lunch. :s   

I've booked all my races, I'm going no further than 2 to Ireland and Frankfurt but if I was planning another I personally wouldn't book anything until we see how the situation develops.

Sports Tours are offering NYC packages if you really want to go this year.

Ian - great times at Seville.   Would you be tempted to go back and have another go?

Cozy - tough running in that snow, well done

Steve - blimey that's a long run before work!  Hope the quad is just a passing twinge.

Managed to get through Pilates OK, I was chatting to the instructor before class and told her I had sore legs from the gym so she did a series of exercises on our hamstrings which nearly killed me but my legs did feel better afterwards.   She just assumed it was my hamstrings, just as well I didn't say it was also my calves, quads and glutes otherwise I think I'd have been in pieces.

Good upper body session in the gym done afterwards.