Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Last year I went along to my surgery. I handed over the form and said it needed a doctor to stamp and sign. Receptionist took it to the office manager who sent her back with the message that under no circumstances could the form be signed. Mulled it over fora week or two then decided to make an appointment with a GP. She checked my details on the computer, took my blood pressure and pulse then signed and stamped it. No charge. She did the same for this year! 
  • It doesn’t have to be your GP who signs it, so if you know anyone who’s a medical doctor with a stamp they be able to sign it for you. Or you can try the approach of turning up at the surgery with a list of race results (or, in the case of someone I know, wearing all his medals...). That can help persuade your doctor if they’re unsure.
  • Oh yes, and Im still pending too.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I’m lucky I’ve never had any trouble getting my medical certificate signed.

Mine’s is pending, but I only uploaded it yesterday. 
  • I actually get an annual medical at work which covers a good variety of aspects that the GP may want to check without an ECG. Spoke to an old friend who is a GP for advice. He offered assistance if my practice has no one to sign. Phew
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Buzz2 - that's good news.
    I think some doctors get twitchy, thinking they are signing to say that they guarantee that nothing will happen to you, rather than saying that theres no existing problem.
  • I work as a GP, and Orbutt is right. There's a difference between saying "this person is able /safe/medically fit to run a marathon" and "I know of no reasons this person shouldn't run a marathon"

There are a lot of forms for all sorts of stuff worded the first way, which causes a problem regarding liability - if someone collapses in the marathon, then the GP can be at fault for saying the person was fine.

Lucky, the paris marathon form is the second sort, which usually wouldn't be a problem - sometimes the gp just needs to see that it's this sort of statement and not the other, then they're happy.

Any of these forms are not a contractual obligation for a GP, so many have stopped doing them /do fewer than previous, and they are entitled to charge if they wish, so it's at the GP's discretion. The reason behind this is that an appointment to see a GP for this is an appointment that isn't available for someone else who has a problem that they are contractually obliged to deal with (ie a person who is sick ).

Its not ideal, and GPs would rather not have to do any of these forms, but organisations keep wanting to "keep themselves right" by getting a medical statement, which is just an annoying way of them trying to get someone else take the blame if something goes wrong, which is partly why GPs are reluctant.

I've done a few of these and they're not a problem (in my opinion), though not sure I can do them by post im afraid (I'm in NI) 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Thanks chamolk. It's always interesting to hear the view from the other side of the desk.
    Also, if you want to pay for your Paris trip, take your stamp to the expo and set up a table outside. €50 a pop sounds reasonable 😁
  • I see Switzerland has banned large public events .... 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I would advise people to avoid the above link.
    The originator has been flagged as spam 20 times. Make that 21
  • If your GP won't sign your med certificate, you could try something like DocTap (https://doctap.co.uk/) (if London based). Cheap private doctor appointments through an app. I used it last time I raced in France they said they often get runners through to sign their certificates as GP's don't like it clogging up their surgeries. I think the appointment cost around £15.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    It has just been announced that tomorrow’s Paris Half Marathon has been cancelled.
    Starting to get concerned about April ☹️
  • The Semi has been officially postponed, not cancelled. The race may go ahead later in the year.

Emphasis on the "may go head", obviously.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    I note that it starts "As part of its fight against the spread of the Coronavirus, the French government has taken the decision today to cancel all events that bring several thousand people together."

Seems to say the government is going to cancel all large events, though there's no time scale given. Not looking good at the minute

It's very late to cancel the race as well, especially as there would be a lot of people who have already travelled to Paris, so the risk is already increased
  • So...if.the worst happens and it is cancelled, is there any chance that the organisers could allow entries to be deferred to next year? Would they ever consider such an arrangement?
    This would have major implications on whether I go to Paris in April irrespective (long-haul flights etc etc booked back in Oct) or shift everything to 2021.
    As you can tell, I struggle with the 'Wait and see' option 😂
    Any thoughts...?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac it’s difficult to say. The Tokyo marathon that was cancelled has said to runners that anyone who had an entry for this year would be guaranteed an entry for next year BUT they’d have to pay again 😳
    I’ve had races cancelled where the the organisers have offered no deferral or refund option.
    We’ll need to see what happens with the half.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    I doubt that the situation with regard to coronavirus will be clearly better in a month's time so I can't see the ban on large congregations being lifted. I would have thought that it would be a reasonable demand that we be reimbursed the entry fee but I am not sure of what the legal situation is. If it is cancelled I'll run my own personal marathon here in the UK.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    It might be better in one way, strangely - if countries move away from a containment phase for Covid 19 (which will probably happen once it becomes a pandemic), then it might just be treated like seasonal flu - ie, once enough people get it, they stop trying to stop the spread, and just treat those who are really sick with it.

Regarding the entrance fee, its depends on what is written in the entry terms and conditions - if it states that cancellation means no refund, then we're probably just down the entry fee. The flights /hotel are likely to significantly outweigh that though
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Good points chamolk. I'm not sure where to find the terms and conditions. I'll have a hunt around, unless someone on here has them already.

• phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    This is part of our contract:

If the Event has to be cancelled due to a reason beyond the Organiser’s control, in the event of force majeure, as defined by Article 1218 of the French Civil Code and French jurisprudence, according to the circumstances, the Organiser may propose offering compensation such as replacing the race by another Event organised by the Organiser, postponing the Event or reimbursing the cost of the race number, less the registration fees, excluding all the participant’s other expenses.

The word 'may' does a lot of work. I suppose it also means 'may not'. 
  • Absolutely phronesis, it could go either way... I suspect that the organisers may decide to err on the side of caution - and with about one-third of participants from outside France, they will ultimately want to keep their citizens safe. 
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Well, that seems to be more than many races offer - if cancelled, we should be offered a different date for the marathon (which I expect would be quite difficult to organise any time soon) or a refund of part of the entry fee, depending how much they claim is the registration fee.

Suppose all we can do for now is wait and see and continue training
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Odd that they cancelled the half but allowed football matches to be played
    I ran in the Vitality Big Half yesterday in London, and there was never any communications saying it may be cancelled etc.
    I tend to think the media whips up a storm in these situations and makes things a whole lot worse than they actually are, I mean how many people die of flu like illness annually anyway?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    There’s nothing we can do about this. All we can do is continue training and hope the event still takes place.

I guess the picture will become much clearer over the next few weeks, as to the likelihood of the race being on or not. I just hope they make the commitment to run or cancel reasonably early, particularly for the likes of NatMac travelling from the other side of the world.

As to what would happen if the event is cancelled I guess New York in 2012 and Tokyo this year would be the best examples. I think NYC allowed runners to defer to the following year, but I’m not sure if they charged the entrance fee again. Tokyo are allowing deferrals, but charging the entry fee again.
  • Not posted for a while, apologies - but been trying to keep an eye on. Really gutted if cancelled - agree the media are whipping it up (compared with many more deaths with many other causes they wouldn't dream of splashing every front page with!) and that does not help, but unfortunately seems quite significant risk of cancellation, whether justified or no. As you say, Eggy, keep training and keep hoping :-)

If cancelled, and even if get a refund or re-entry if it is cancelled, problem is a lot of flight/hotel costs probably already largely sunk. I'm considering still going with the mate who's also doing it if it's cancelled, making a good weekend in Paris, and may even do something similar to the route , as little chance I'll keep the training going to be at same level for indefinite number of weeks or months until the storm passes. May try to find a local marathon the week after to at least get the full benefit of 16-17 weeks of training also.

If on, definitely up for the dinner the night before and post run drinks/food I think seen earlier in the forum. We don't fly home until the Monday evening, and considering doing a wee bike tour on the Monday - quite a few orgs do guided tours of the city, some even with e-bikes if legs too sore!

Anyway, fingers crossed all works out smoothly and run stays on - really looking forward to it now that most of the training plan is behind us!!
  • Yes, we’re in a similar position - travel all arranged, might as well go. There are worse ways of spending the weekend than visiting Paris, might even fit in a little run.
  • Same, same... I would probably still go anyway and see what parts of the course I can run even if the roads aren't closed to trafic. I'm guessing the organisers know that even if they cancel probably thousands will still turn up...
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    I see London Marathon has put out a statement saying they are monitoring the situation