Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it is a concern about other companies too.  I know the virus is not as bad as flu in terms of casualties, but it's still a concern and having a big impact.  I have another trip planned (EasyJet) to Scotland where there will be a couple of hundred people attending at an AGM.  Nothing to do with running, but I'm not too sure if I want to go at the moment, but I'd lose money if I don't go as I booked a non-refundable hotel as it's not running related.  Regarding Flybe I paid by Credit Card for Manchester but as it's under £100 I need to try the chargeback route which is not legally enforceable and I think is at the discretion of the bank, but I may as well try.

I am also concerned about this weekend's events after yesterday's shortened run.  I know we don't like talking feet here, but I've a blister under a toe nail and the toe is feeling numb/sore.  I've called a GP to see if they can sort it and awaiting a call back (I did Google what to do, but it looks painful and probably better seeing a GP!).  Obviously they're nervous about people attending the surgery but I've not been in touch with anyone and also I haven't been abroad.  I have a decision to make as I could attempt to run/walk the events in not a very satisfactory time, or DNS them.  I really don't want to DNS them though so I'll see what the GP says.

Yes, no problem in borrowing that book.
  • Shades calves are a bit tight but ok when running other than that fairly well recovered,  Mechanic said if you can live with it, no point fixing as would cost as much as the cars worth also need a cam belt replacement. 

Big G will check that podcast out, once car passes MOT will get something Bluetooth in the car to play things.  Bad news about flybe, the deferral date for Manchester has passed unfortunately early Feb.  I know coaches were reasonable from London but again added costs getting to and from London plus the time.

Cozy, running is great for mental health, gives you time away from the daily grind to either work.  Glad the car isn't too bad and you and your kid were safe.

Ian you've certainly seen some amazing results! Injuries and lack of them play a big part in running well.

3  miles in the rain yesterday afternoon, felt okay for the 2nd run of the day albeit only 6 miles in total but something I would have struggled to do a while ago. 

I've seen Virgin are trying to shift some seats, any tickets bought from now won't have any charges if you need to move dates (assume fare rates still apply).  Unfortunately they won't honour anything pre corona outbreak which would have been a nice bit of PR.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - The Coronavirus certainly does make us question if we want to be in places with lots of other folk and how necessary we consider each trip.

I don't think you'll get any refund via your bank, but worth asking.

Ouch with the toe, I think that involves a needle through the nail, 🤢 to relieve the pressure, if the doc turns you away a chiropodist might be your answer.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - you've recovered well then, that's good news.  And running a double too yesterday. :)

I think cam belt replacement isn't cheap is it?

That's a good offer from Virgin, unfortunately they don't use any airports near us down here. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it's a needle through the nail :(  GP called back and advised against doing that, especially when I said I was a runner, as that can cause more nasty problems down the line with infections etc.  So he advised Ibuprofen gel, the good old bag of peas, and elevating the leg.  He said these things usually calm down after a week or so.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Netflix for you today then and put that foot up.  

A week is a long time for a multi marathon runner :/
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about that Big G.

I always burst my blisters and tape them, I've never really thought about it, maybe I should ....

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    Just to add to the above, I've never had one under my nail, I'm not suggesting for a second I'd be brave enough to stick a needle through my nail :s
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bad news on the foot.
    Flybe is nad news for the daughter as she uses that a few times a year  to travel home,but it doesn't surprise me,there were 3 Southampton to manchester flights per day and often less than half full when she got it.
    Judging by the shop today the world is ending pretty soon,50% up on the same time as a  normal thursday at the minute,may be influenced by having 2 confirmed cases within a few miles of us.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - seems blisters are a regular occurrence for you.   Maybe this is something you need to resolve before your marathon.  Most runners will get the occasional blister and usually that's due to unusual circumstances such as running through a flood or extreme heat but if they happen often then that's due to poorly fitting kit so needs to be sorted.

Ian - not sure why folk are panic buying, there's no need at all.   And as for those dirty folk that are buying up the soap, didn't they wash their hands before Coronavirus, yuk.

Shame for your daughter, I've used Southampton airport quite a lot, lovely little airport.  

Flybe had their head office at Exeter airport so a big effect on employees and supply industries round here.

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Shades - I'm maybe misrepresenting my blister issue! I don't get very many at all and the couple I got over the last couple of weeks I'd say are possibly due to the fact my feet were getting soaked on pretty much every run!

I'll certainly keep an eye on it though.

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Hi All. Does anyone use compression socks at all? Wondering wether to invest in a pair
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Nearly forgot, just ran 5 miles at lunch there! Lovely day here in Scotland and due to the fact my employer are doing a mass working from home day to test our resilience ahead of what's to come, I managed to get it done on my lunch 'hour'.

I possibly wasn't sitting back at my desk an hour after I left!!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy that's good news about the blisters then.

Great news on the working from home, flexible lunch break, no problem  :)

Rcouture - I don't use them, have you calf issues?
    Lots of runners say they really do help.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    After about 20k my calves get quite sore and the day after tend to stiffen up more than any other bits. There’s no downside to trying so will try on Sunday’s long run. 
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Shades - I'm so moany I don't even remember moaning about them before! I've too many moans to keep up!

Rcouture - As you know, I'm training for my first marathon so don't know how much my opinion matters, but I quite often wear them after a long run and like the way they feel! I apologise I can't get much more technical than that!

I'd say the best £40 I've spent on something in the 'unknown result' bracket was my oofos sliders, they are great after a long run, although I wear them about the house all the time!

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - No wind or rain.....that's not right surely  :) Good 10 miles.
    Big G - I'll check the book out, hope the toe heals.

14 miles this morning, didn't feel great, was a bit of a slog, but got it done. Just tired legs I think. Hoping with a rest day tomorrow and a foam roll they liven back up before Sunday's 10k.
  • Shades - Yes i am hoping its merely a strain its annoying though. Hurts most of the time walking around just not in a ow way. Also it seems weird as the other day i bent down to get stuff from fridge and it ached yet today whilst deicing the car stretching over the bonnet made it hutr quite a bit which is not bending the leg but actually bending other way. I shall see just how soggy it is saturday morning and windy for that matter but assuming i am not up overly late friday i am intending to go do park run. No doubt it will be like last time i ran fine during the run but aching somewhat afterwards. Ideally aching into Tuesday so i can point to it.
  • Rcouture - I usually pop compression socks on, usually when I do hillier routes or off road, I don't know if they make any difference but am happy to use them as a placebo effect.

See Paris and Rome marathons have been cancelled and postponed, London Landmarks half is probably the next big event with 10000 at the end of march so be interesting to see what happens there, think Elle is secretly hoping it gets cancelled.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - they're certainly worth a try and they are useful too for recovery so put on a pair after your long runs.  Some gentle regular stretching should be part of your routine.

Keith - that's the downside of the NHS physio, the waiting for an appointment.  But still not too late to help you with the rehab.

Robert - it was predictable that Paris would be cancelled/postponed after they pulled the half.   And the whole of Italy is not advised for travelling now so no surprise about Rome.

I take it Elle's not quite where she wants to be training wise for the Landmarks Half.   Will be interesting to  see what they do about that race.   I know London Marathon is a lot bigger but it's the influx of overseas runners/supporters that adds another dilemma to that decision.

Steve - I'm sure today's rest day will refresh you.   Which 10k are you doing?

Cozy - we all moan constantly on here, haven't you noticed 
    ;) 

Big G - any improvement with the toe?

7 miles today, no wind which was most pleasant and I missed the rain.   Chest strain/sprain still uncomfortable running, I hope it starts to ease soon.   But had a good run.   Ran through the village that was decimated by the recent storms and good to see the bungalow that lost their fence have replaced it with a very smart new fence.....well I have to look at something when I'm running. :) 

Car service and MOT today :/
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Cozy, I've looked at those Oofos ads - I'm not sure they're for me, though, as I tend to bum around in bare feet most of the time (when I'm at home, of course). But I'm quite interested in how much good they do.
    I have worn compression socks for my last few races, though I admit that's because they're long and I can get away with not shaving my legs if I wear them. :D

Good luck with the MOT, Shades. Don't miss the financial side of owning a car, that's for sure.

Right now I feel like I'm training for Schrodinger's Marathon - I don't know if it'll happen or not. I have a plan B in mind, though, just in case Manchester gets cancelled.
    I do wonder what will happen if a lot of marathons go down, though. If London is cancelled, a lot of the folks (like me) hoping to get a GFA entry for next year may have to wait until 2022, assuming the folks who got places this year will be guaranteed entry next year - same with the other big races.
    No point worrying about it now, though, we just have to get on with it.
    9 miles today - felt pretty good after a rest yesterday (even if the rest involved the gym). Minor bum niggle (high hammy - it's always there a bit) and foot niggle, but it's the usual foot niggle not the lumpy thing, which seems to have calmed down.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it feels a bit better in that it doesn’t feel there’s as much pressure. It’s still sore but improving so hopefully I’ll be ok tomorrow and I’m going to put a plaster on or tape it. I haven’t ran much at all this week to give it a chance so fingers crossed but I think I’ll know very early on if it’s going to turn into a run/shuffle/walk event. 
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - It's around Draycote Water (1 lap), but has a smallish field, so shouldn't be cancelled. Do have a long run on the Saturday to get done first though, so no idea what shape my legs will be in for fast running.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good to hear you have a Plan B, not much else we can do but just wait and see what happens.

If they cancel London I wonder if they'll do what Tokyo did and just have the elite running, as there will be quite a few looking for an Olympic qualifying time.   It would be very difficult for London to hold the race later in the year, just not feasible I guess.

Big G - that's good, once the pressure starts to ease you're over the worst.

Steve - that's a nice route, and fast as long as it's not windy.   I've done a marathon and a 35 mile ultra round Draycote a few years ago.

Car has had it's pre MOT health check, so far only needs new wiper blades which is OK.

Went shopping on the way home from the garage, plenty soap etc in Tesco.   Then I even went sofa shopping, I have been saving every month for this mythical new sofa and I'm nearly there funds wise but I managed to walk out without buying anything.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, just seen this on a Facebook post from Manchester. Encouraging but I suppose still heavily dependent on what the government puts in place. 
  • Shades, good news about the MOT, Still no soap in Asda. 

Big G hope taping does the trick tomorrow! Good luck.

Cal, looking at G's fb pic, it mirrors my faults but nothing wrong with having a plan B.  Peterborough is on the same day and unless it sells out they take entries the Thursday before the race. 

Steve sounds like a nice route, hope you get through your long run okay.

4 miles this morning, I had a mad one last night and ate 5 Cadbury crème eggs, so that offset a part of it.  Had a uni assignment score of 90% back, pretty pleased with that!  14ish miles planned tomorrow which will be my longest run hopefully.

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Well done Robert, I'd say 90% deserves rewarding with 5 crème eggs, although I prefer the caramel ones! Anyway, I'm off the treats to try and shed a bit more weight so I must stop teasing myself.

I'm doing 18 tomorrow, which is my longest ever, a bit daunting looking at it but looking forward to it.

• Cozy enjoy the 18, they will become normal training runs soon!!!  Unfortunately I ate the crème eggs before I got the result!!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - you need to meet up with Keith, he used to eat Creme Eggs in abundance, he hasn't mentioned them lately.  They're too sweet for me.

Just off to collect the car, it sailed through the MOT  :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - fingers crossed eh?
    Rob - worth knowing about, but I am visiting my mate and two other mates are coming up and we have some other stuff planned, so I'll likely go up to Manchester anyway. Newport looks fast and flat if it hasn't sold out, but the other possibility is Blackpool - Colin would be happy to drive me over there I'm sure as he could go to the Pleasure Beach while I ran. I'm not mad keen on the idea of two laps but it's an option and quite fast if it's not windy.
    Cozy, good luck!