Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Just looked at 2019 results. I think only about 10 went sub 3. The first lap you'd have loads of company as the half marathon runs side by side. Then they suddenly peel off to the finish and you'd find yourself in a pretty lonely place.

Last year over the 2 events some 2800 runners finished. That may well be too high if the Government were to put a limit on mass gatherings, particularly when you factor in supporters that travel and are gathered at the start and finish in particular.

Good work on the 15, SBD. My mlr will probably peak at 13.

G-Dawg, it'll keep your fitness up so bear with! Last time I was injured I just did a spin class everyday. As I was in a class environment I quite enjoyed it.

11m mlr last night. Was out at 5 so got a good 8m in in daylight which was nice. Legs feeling a bit fatigued after Tuesday and sundays sessions so was happy to plod along. Came out 8.04mm for 132 hr, so barely an effort.

I am at this stage now where an 11 miler doesn't touch the sides in terms of leaving me tired immediately afterwards or the following day, which is always a good sign that things are going well.

Easy 5m and bodypump today. No big session Friday as it'll all be going into Sundays 20.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - some progress which is good, but just be careful now 
    SBD - miserable conditions, so well done.
    DT -  nice and easy MLR. Should be all set for Sunday.
    My left shoulder was playing up this morning so decided not to swim. Then set off for an easy run and my foot had weird pains. After a few minutes it eased off but I decided to be cautious and headed home. At least it gave me a chance to get some jobs done before breakfast 😀
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I know I've said it before, but I don't know how you crank out those pacey long runs Gul.
    I haven't got a backup plan for cancellation. I'm tempted to just let it go and hope Berlin goes ahead. I would be devastated though, I love the family trip to London which has become a tradition.
    Meanwhile I was first at the local lunchtime 5k today organised by Great Run local. It was a small field with no fasties but 17:50 on the watch is my best for almost a year so pleased  with that. Average pace 5:45 and wava 85.5%. Just a shame I couldn't produce this form last weekend when it counted at Trafford 10k 😕
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I see Rome and Paris marathons have been binned today. Paris rescheduled for 18th October.

Really can't see London going ahead, especially as Covid-19 infections are on the rise.

Decided to can all running until the weekend. Reading about knee bursa injuries suggest it takes a while and I don't want to ruin the progress I seem to have made.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    SBD Nice 15 shame about the early bath by some twat !!!!
    DT if 11 doesn't touch the sides you are in top form 
    GUL crazy o clock and near a full mara with a 10m tempo amazing , I used to go back to bed after those kinda runs as I was spent and would have been as much use as a chocolate fireguard !!!!!!
    0054 nicely sub 18 at last fair play ...
    Gdawg all injuries take a long time once you get to middle age , I have put my calf out just rolling over in bed before ..

Club session tonight and a full 1 hour tempo average pace 6:56/m/mile . I faded a bit in the second half and was left for dead by my buddy 8.7 miles covered in 60 mins. Was busy all day up and down a loft ladder  and felt a bit flat from the start compared to last week , was hoping for 6:45 again but near enough and  Just over 12m in total.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    15 yesterday and 9 with strides today.

But mostly preoccupied by when domestic race cancellations will start. It feels pretty inevitable at some point...!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    The cancellation of the London Book Fair puts things in perspective a little.  Perhaps London will go ahead but they'll cancel the expo!

As everything is up in the air at the moment I will just carry on with the training and focus on getting some good results at the upcoming races (Bath HM and the Maidenhead 10).  

Sensible decision G-D.  So what was the cause of the bursa?

Excellent time and victory OO - anything under 18:00 is pretty impressive.  You just need to convert that WAVA value to a marathon time!

Good call on the foot pain Gul.

A nice easy 11 miler DT.

8 recovery miles early afternoon with ten sets of strides.  I'm hoping all these stride sessions will translate to improved running economy so I can avoid having to buy the magic shoes!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Morning all! 

Thought I'd pop my head back in, been reading along but not posting. Got my head down and got stuck in to training the last few weeks, resulted in probably my best ever training block. Last 4 weeks have been 47 (inc XC Race)/57/59/63 which is my highest ever mileage week. Some big tempos, sessions and MP runs in there. 

On a mini taper week now for Surrey half, massive shame that G-Dawg isn't going to be there! Not quite sure where my fitness is, aerobically I feel in the shape of my life, my long runs and easy runs have never felt so good or been as fast for low effort. However I haven't really ran any sessions to back that up, will have to just give sub 80 my best shot and see what happens!

Good to see TR/SBD/Gul are still cranking out the monster mileage and OO is knocking out 18min 5ks like hes shelling peas! Everyone elses training seems to be going well as well, looking forward to seeing the results!

I'm not worrying about London being cancelled or looking at alternatives, nothing I can do about it!

Having a shoe dilemma, my On's need replacing before the marathon, the obvious choice is the Next% but there is a part of me that feels that is buying 2.45. I can't really see an alternative though, even Chris Thompson who is sponsored by On was wearing the Next % at the Big Half!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from your Stevie. My attitude to London is much the same. I'd go Nike if you can afford them. Wonder if their supply lines from China are being affected?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - your Brighton absence is noted, they said i had the worse day theyd had last yr. If it was on but bad weather id sack it for North Dorset, after last yrs weather beating.

Steviewh - he had permission and painted them black to look like his on. You are only 30 so will probably need to embrace the technology....if you are racing for position or prizes then you are at a disadvantage without them,  times can be chased without them. I have a pair of 4% that i have used once in a 10k, they will probably come out again after vlm for some more 10ks, before i go longer in them - i need some breaking in (they are unstable and have high arches), and i dont care if 10k times are carbo assisted, not sure if I'll ever wear them for a mara as at the mo i do care, that might change though.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    TR - Yes i'd heard that, fairplay to On. I'll be wearing their minimal racing flats on Sunday. My coach says the same thing ref the vaporflys, i'm letting people beat me because of the shoes. I picked up a pair of Pegasus Turbos in the outlet and I've been impressed so far. My girlfriend also points out that when you can get them for c £180 its only £50 more then what the Ons would cost anyway
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say typically as DT is also racing Sunday its forecast wind and rain!!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - cracking sub 18.
    GD - wise decision. Hope the rest does the trick.
    Leslie - good tempo run after a busy day too. Early mornings do have their advantages!
    Jools - good couple of days training. Let's hope there are some races left at the end!
    SBD - with improved economy maybe you can then afford the magic shoes ;)
    Stevie - good to hear your training is going great. All the best with your sub 80 attempt. I am the least qualified person to give advice on shoes.
    Foot was okay today so ploughed on and did 13 miles. 1M warm-up, 6@7:58/m, 5@6:53/m and 1M warm-down. Going to have a decent taper next week for the Long Sutton HM - who knows, it could be my A race!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed with vlm being an uncontrollable, but a back up race is a goig idea.

Stevie - good publicity for on  its effectively saying hes only wearing the nikes for the carbon.......you still have gains to make from running year round yet !......i paid around 120 something for my 4%, the price kept dropping duting black friday week......if you save them for races even at £210 you will get more than a mile per £ out of them, thats a small race day cost when added to entries, physio, travel, beetrroot, gels etc etc
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Either Milton Keynes or Edinburgh are possibles for me. But honestly not sure I can be arsed, and throwing good money after bad.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    2m wu, 12m av 6.38 today, was on for 6.35 but tailed off into a minor breeze in last few miles. 12m at 2.54 pace anyway. Hopefully i can go a bit quicker at fleet next week, if its on.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Stevie, my forecast for sunday is just within the reasonable range in that wind peaks at 15mph and there's just some showers forecast. Frankly i'll take that all day long.

Good luck sunday.

I do agree, set aside your views, you are at a racing disadvantage. And don't forget the shoes you do race in will be making you faster than a pair of shoes someone wore 15 years ago to race in. They all aide performance.

I can't look at VMLM facebook posts now, everything they post the comments are just people asking for news and saying it should be cancelled now and how they cant face doing the training anymore etc. Meanwhile on the sub 3 page the vibe is much more along the lines of 'i'm ploughing on and looking for a viable plan B'.

I've decided i'm going a small as possible with my plan B for sure.

Some good paces and miles there, Gul.

Greta result yesterday on the sub 18, OO.

Decent tempo, Leslie. My favourite of the sessions.

G-Dawg, sensible decision, hopefully that'll help it along.

Decent session, TR. I take it that's mp? Did it feel comfortable enough to hold?

Just an easy 6m today then spin tomorrow before sundays 20.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    DT - Agreed ref shoes, the one thing that irks me is one of my clubmates told me I can't run 2.45 without vaporflys, there is a big part of me that wants to prove him wrong. I think the comment comes from the fact that he is quicker then me over all distances except the marathon which I am 2 mins quicker.

Forecast is similar for Woking but with 35mph gusts. Looks like headwind for first half though and then tailwind coming home

Nice MP TR, definitely more to come with a taper and another 7 weeks. Are you racing Fleet or running MP?

4m inc strides for me this afternoon, will be nice to be out in the sunshine on a still day

Cheltenham Festival and Crufts are going ahead so I really can't see any cancellations in the near future
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - sub 255 is my aim. I was running to effort and 6.35s felt comfortably hard. A taper might give up a bit more.

Stevie - fleet will be best effort on the day, but will only have a couple of easy days either side. Last yr i had a stinker there, its difficult to race well in mara build up (esp after 350m in feb).
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Well envious of all you running mob but I know I'm doing the right thing by resting. The occasional warm sensation on the side of the knee seems to have gone. Continued ice and rest seems to be working.

Some cracking sessions though, well done Team!

Loads of comments on social media about the potential VLM cancellation. People saying that the big half went OK and other mass events are and will be fine.
    However, a major marathon brings people in from all around the world, runners and supporters. That's thousands of potential carriers and germ propagators in one small area. They go to the Expo, eat in bars/restaurants and go sightseeing. Plenty of interaction points to spread a virus by people who would not normally be there.

I'm more pessimistic about it going ahead, especially as the rate of infections continues to rise at the way they currently are. 
    No back-up planned as yet...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Stevie race times are remembered long after the cost of the pink shoes are forgotten , get in there !!!!!!!!! who cares what shoes as you don't get many cracks at sub 2:45 !
    TR that's a cracking run , sub 2:55 is looking good for you.
    GUL you are a running beast another decent bit of tempo after the 24 ! Get a mini taper in and lets see how this half goes .I don'y know what your half pb is ?  but its got to be in danger lol
    More work in the loft again today up and down a ladder all morn shifting boxes which must count as weights /cross training , no time for a run off to bed for nights . 
    To say I was whacked after my tempo last night was an understatement I was shattered and my right side always seems to cramp up so did some stretches and went to bed early ,feeling much better today thankfully.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    TR - that's a stormer of a session. Interesting to see how you do next Sunday.
    OO - forgot all about MK mara. Checked and discovered it's on a Sunday this year, presumably as Bank Holiday is a Friday for VE day anniversary :(
    DT - hope the weather is kind tomorrow for a change.
    Stevie - ditto.
    GD - good to hear some progress. Started thinking about alternatives but no plan B yet!
    Leslie - good work with the cross training, stretches and rest 😀 My HM PB is 1:24:5x. I don't think that's in danger but we'll see.
    14 slow miles this morning. Tried out some gels in the flipbelt and it was easier getting them out but frozen hands didn't help. It does bounce up and down with all the weight but stays in position so just a bit annoying and not a problem as such.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow, Stevie. I’ve been driving part of the course all this week, gutted I can’t take part, especially as I’ve done them all so far.

Managed 5 miles this morning. No pain!!
    Kept it nice and easy and was amazed that it came out at 7.16 pace as it felt so straight forward. I guess that’s a taper effect due to the injury break. If the injury stays fixed this could be a nice platform upon which to build up to the bigger miles again in the remaining weeks.

Not out of the woods yet, got the knee on ice just in case. Will try another 5 tomorrow and then see what the Fizz says on Monday.

Good session, Gul. I pin my gels to the inside of my shorts, on the waistband. Has worked a treat for years. In a marathon I wear Lycra base shorts with regular shorts over the top. I pin 2 gels on each side, just where the hip flexors are. Don’t even notice them.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I know a few folks doing MK as a backup Gul. Apparently there is an option where you pay extra and then claim a refund if you don't need the place.
    Pacing at parkrun today for 19 min. Long one planned tomorrow- 20+ for a 55 week.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Sorry, just a quick 'me me' post as I'm heading out drinking. :)

I finished the Shane's Castle Ultra (39.3 miles) in 4:50:xx today. It was my first good race since injury. I was 3rd after 1 HM lap and moved into 2nd just going onto the last lap. I took the lead with 4 miles to go and ran my fastest miles late on to take the win. Chuffed! Badbark is back! :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Chuffed for you Badbark, you really cant keep a good man down 😉👍
    Theres talk of an informal London mara if the official one gets cancelled. I'd be up for that with a beer after if anyone fancies. Let's see what happens, but now Barca has gone too it seems like a matter of time...
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Badbark is well and truly back. Fantastic just fantastic. 
    Scuttles back to sub 3 thread. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Yes Badbark! Excellent work and great to see you are back on form.

G-Dawg - good to see you are pain free
    Stevie - my favourite thing about the Next% is that I don't feel as beat up after a race and can still train. Worth it just for that.

Another week where house and work got in the way a bit, I managed about 7 at club progression on Monday day after Newport feeling pretty good, average of about 7:10 with the fast miles around 6:40/6:20/6:00. Then hardly anything midweek just a quick morning treadmill in London when I caught some spare time.

Loaded everything into this weekend, with a trip to Cardiff parkrun to do that course 4 times - 1 warmup @ 7:15s pace; a Parkrun PB of 19:06 (could have done with that OO pacing), a MP effort @ 6:40s, and a cooldown at 7:45s.

Weird that I run a faster 5K whilst doing a half marathon than I do on a flat parkrun course.

Then 21miles this morning with hills; 8:30 average but around 1600ft of elevation change and trying to keep sociable pace; felt very hard on the legs though. Just pipping a 40mile week; need to get some good volume in over the next month. My Bath Half long run is next sunday which will be a good test.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Badbark good to see you back on the forum and even winning a race again , comeback king ! Hope you Enjoyed the beers ..
    0054 talk of an informal London mara is what will put  the real one under pressure to take place by the sound of it so hopefully it will as people have paid for hotels etc and will still be coming regardless..
    Nicko 4 laps of parkrun is a bit mad but a new parkrun Pb was probably worth it  and a cracking bit of progression earlier too . 6m/mile is not too shabby !

5 very slow ones yesterday after nights (10:30 av ) and dragged myself out for 5x 1k on tired legs before nights again , pace was down but not surprising after Thursdays tempo ,most were about 6:45 pace today .

41 miles for the week .

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    21 for me, as well. 8.22s on an undulating course. 70 for the week.

Big congrats to Badbark on the win and Nicko on the park run pb.