My Last Run

Comments

• Yikes, JD - good job she didn't pull you into the canal with her! Hope the knee is just bruised.
    Well done on your tempo, Hazelnut.
    Weather looked terrible today so I'd already decided to do a repeat parkrun rather than travel outside London and then have a long journey back when I was cold and wet. I opted for Crystal Palace as it's 15 minutes on the train, and I'd not done the winter course before (I last went in summer '18). The summer course is one big lap whereas the winter course is two smaller laps, which meant twice up the hill. It's not a terrible hill - a fairly mild gradient for most of it with one steep bit, but the fact you're going up for a while makes it a bit harder.
    It's tarmac and gravel path but there were a lot of puddles, and I did a lap of the dinosaur lake (which is on the summer course but not the winter one) as a warm-up and got my feet soaking wet before I even started. Never mind.
    I'd agreed to meet my parkrun friend Tunde and he rocked up after I did my warm-up and we had a quick chat at the start before he promptly took off, being a couple of minutes faster than me, typically, despite being a VM60.
    There was one pacer for 25 minutes and I was actually close behind him initially, but I lost him after the uphill on the first lap. I didn't think I'd get near that time anyway (my previous time, on the summer course, was 26:31, so that was my target - Crystal Palace in one of the hilliest in London). There's a nice, sweeping downhill which I was able to bomb down quite happily, but that turns into a steep descent (you also go up the steep bit) and I had to slam my anchors on for that bit as it's too steep for me to run down at any kind of pace. But I was quite happy to do around 8:34 for the first mile given it has 39m of gain.
    I was a bit quicker through the second and third miles (8:19/8:20) and then went all out for the finish, coming in at 26:15 which is a course PB (and also, happily, a new bingo number for those that do the tourist challenges - I haven't had one of those since November). So I was pretty pleased, all things considered. Foot wasn't bad - there's still a bruise but it isn't as tender as it was so I think I'll be OK for a medium-longish run tomorrow. (Must admit I am a bit glad I don't have to run a marathon on it).
  • Didn't even think of that eventuality (JD + Polly in the canal...)

Well done on the parkrun Cal.  Nice you could meet up with your friend Tunde.  What is the bingo challenge?  Maybe I will get to do a parkrun in Hamburg prior to my mara but who knows if it will take place.  Good your foot is improving and I hope you have a good MLR today.

4 mile recovery late yesterday afternoon with my OH.  We waited long enough to get a windy soaking - he was less amused... I turned back at the last minute to exchange tops and only got damp but he was soaked to the skin.  Not the best way to encourage him to got out with me every now and then I guess.  At least we weren't out for too long.

Long run in a bit in decent conditions to compensate.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Good-day, MLR team.  Just a quick note to say that I'm back Run-Walking again after nine months on the sidelines with osteoarthritis problems.  Today's sesh, gales allowing:- Crosby beach, 3 sets of 9 min. Run + 1 min. Walk.

I hope everyone's getting the most from their running, training and racing.  :-)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut, it's part of the parkrun tourist challenges browser extension - there are various challenges ranging from number of different events done to frivalous ones such as Staying Alive (three parkruns beginning with a B and three with a G). The bingo challenges is get all the finishing times (seconds) from .00 through to .59. It's a matter of luck since  you can't really control your finish time to the second, so it can take years to get them all. I've been parkrunning since 2016 and I still have quite a few gaps.

Nice to see you swittle! Glad you are getting back out there again. I guess streaking is out now, is it?

So today I should have run Tokyo, but we all know how that ended up. I did go out for 12 miles this morning though - uncharacteristically late for a Sunday. Forecast said sleet/hail at 6am so thought I'd wait until 7, but then I got hungry and had to eat, so didn't get out until just after 9. Foot held up OK. It was what I class as easy/steady pace - averaging around 10 min/mi though that includes the slower (10:40) warm-up mile - there were quite a few miles below 10. Should be OK to do a 20 next weekend, I think (but will go out early for that).
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Cal!  No pun intended, but I had a very good run for my money from streaking.  Now, it's strengthening, drills and gym 5 times a week.  There's a parkrun on Crosby beach, so that'll be a worthwhile goal.  :-)
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Good recovery run Hazelnut,  although shame the weather wasn't great. Hopefully your OH hasn't been put off too much. 

Nice 12 miler Cal and can I just say how sorry I am that Tokyo was cancelled. Any news on getting any refund? 

Welcome back Swittle and hopefully the recovery is going well. 9 months is a long time.  Here's to being able to build up again. 

First proper run yesterday at Hove Park PR. I did jog out on Wednesday with my mate who left work this week. After 5 years of ploughing up and down the canal it was our last chance to run together so did a very slow 5k. Back was still tender.

As such wasn't expecting too much yesterday,  just to get round.  Started near the back with the aim of jogging with the 28 minute pace. Felt OK on the second lap to go past and could see my partner about 150m ahead. By the last 400m I'd closed to 30m and had the choice of swooping past with a big sprint or be sensible.  I chose the latter,  but was pleased with 26:35 as a time.

The back is still not right, but having missed the Brighton HM last week I'm pleased to just be back running.  Osteopath again tomorrow and hopefully the all clear start loading it again. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No refund, Guarddog - all I've managed to get back is the hotel and air tax. I'm down about a grand. :(

Good you're back running - hope the osteo can give you some relief.
  • Hi folks! so much running everyone well done! 

Well, after my nasty injury through having the foolhardy idea of attempting a marathon on half marathon training,  all I wanted to do today was get to half marathon distance for the first time in 10 weeks.

Not really much to say, it was cold and windy. I put myself right at the back and aimed for a easy 10 minute miles. finished in 2:14 (even though I've been training at 8:45 min, and my pace is about 9 mins over a half) and.....

I think I'm OK? certainly don't feel overly sore or painful in the dreaded knee. I feel maybe I've turned the corner and I'm  a runner again! (albeit a very cautious one).

Came home drank wine and watched Vitality Big Half on IPlayer . Felt comparable  to Bekele!, well, we both did a half today!

Sorry about the financial loss Cal, I've been knocked twice by insurance companies. (Roof, car).  Solid Park running and nice long run. Glad foot on the mend.

Sorry about your back Guardog.  My back isn't the best. hope you get it straight . Nice run though.

Glad you're back in action Swittle! so glad you're on the mend.

Quite a run there JD!, glad both you and Polly are for the most part, OK.

Solid long runs and tempo runs Hazlenut, and in some weather! great stuff.

If I feel Ok tomorrow going to push the training fairly hard. Race pic because why not! have a nice evening all.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    This remains a great place to visit!  Thanks for all the good wishes.  :-)
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good parkrun and long run Cal and good news about the foot.Didn't know the elite runners were still doing Toyko,think there were only 200 runners and no spectators.

Good to see you back and out running Swittle,9 months is a long time out.

If your OH isn't much of a runner getting drenched will not go down well,Hazelnut!No chance of me ending up in the canal,Polly runs off her lead,luckily for me.

Good news about your HM Linton,maybe you can ramp your running up a bit now.

You have great self restraint not to overtake your partner Guarddog,nice to hear that your back is on the mend.

Just a 3.72 TM run Saturday,knee is still sore so won't be doing much this week as the Chester 10k is on Sunday.

• Lovely to see you again swittle.  Have been keeping up on your progress on Fetch, you seem pretty close to a half-hour running stint now.  Parkrun on Crosby beach sounds nice.

Get you on the bingo challenge Cal.  Certainly seems more difficult to collect than the letters of the alphabet.  Good weather avoiding on Sunday for your 12 miler.

Good to see you as well GD.  Shame you won't be able to run with your mate anymore.   Hope you get the all clear from your osteopath but be careful if your back still is a bit dodgy.

Well done on the half LTT and thanks for the pic.  You look like you are concentrating hard.  And how on earth do you keep those shoes so white?  What are your plans racewise in the next months?  Might be an idea to look out for a plan to suit you so you don't ramp up the training too soon too fast.

Hope the knee improves quickly for the 10k race JD.

My planned long run yesterday turned into a medium long run as I ran out of beans and motivation at around 14 miles.  Station not too far away so I walked to that.  Tough week with long runs at each end and therefore higher mileage than normal and also a tempo run on Friday.  Also a tough route at the beginning with quite a bit of hillage.  And probably didn't fuel/ drink enough although I was carrying a backpack to provide supplies.  Struggled to get a gel on board.  Still in two minds whether to drop the mara as I am struggling with the idea of continuing training (time-consuming and hard-work) and facing a potentially last-minute cancellation and unnecessary further expense. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Much appreciated, JDI and Hazel.  Simply logging a handful of Run-Walk miles gives me a boost.  Recent stormy weather makes training a real challenge, no matter what one's goal, so well done, everyone, for kitting up and getting out there!  :-)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the 10K, JD. Fingers crossed for the knee.
    Hazelnut, I'm not surprised you ran out of gas after that week. I think we're all concerned about our races - I've already been burned once with Tokyo and I'd be gutted if Manchester was canned, but currently the government is not recommending cancelling big events. It could change, but hopefully the virus will be contained.

9 miles today - was going to be an easy 8 but legs felt fresh and bouncy so I ended up doing some MP miles (well, the first of the three miles I intended to do as MP was bang on, the second was more like HMP and the third I overcompensated so it a was a bit too slow). Then I had to do a mile cool-down. It felt like a good run, though.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Not like you to run out of motivation Hazelnut,like you said you had a tough week.It's a big commitment to take on a mara,never mind two or more,I'm still in two minds whether to run one later in the year.

Linton, nice white trainers,you must be great at dodging the mud.

Fingers crossed Manchester will be ok Cal.

My girls were at athletics last night so that gave me a bit of time to squeeze 5 miles in.Knee not great still sore.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha yeah, I won't buy pale coloured shoes any more (unless there's no option). One run on Tooting Common and they look like crap.

12 miles today - pace was OK (around 10:15 average) and legs still felt quite fresh due to the rest days last week, but it just seemed to go on and on. The wet weather has restricted a lot of the routes I use in summer so I've been running around the same roads since the Autumn and I guess I'm pretty bored.
  • My shoes turn uniformly brown at some point.  Fortunately for the pink pair but I was less keen initially on mucking up the primarily white ones (racers which generally only go on the road but those aren't always clean either)

Good you have bouncy legs at the moment Cal.  Some MP paced miles or short progressions probably aren't the worst thing you can do at the moment.

I will see how things develop for a few weeks JD before signing up to anything bigger.  Might at the end of the day mean missing a race due to closing dates or numbers.  Annoyingly I have been sent several mails and brochures with "sign-up, sign-up" from various races the last few days.  Errm no thanks.   Really can't be easy for the organizers at the moment either though as I doubt I will be the only one using this tactic and will sign up EOD wherever possible.

Anyway:  6 miles yesterday evening with my running group.  As 5 others were out it could even be classed as a group again.  We must be heading for spring.  Also meant we could split up according to paces which I think suited everyone. 
  • Intervals yesterday afternoon - planned 5 x 1 with 2:45 recoveries.

Haven't entirely worked out my watch yet and pressed the wrong button to stop the warm-up and begin the speedwork section so the first approx. k I did was booked as part of the warm-up without a split.  Sorted that out and then did the full 5 x 1 properly with the aid of the appropriate beeps. 

km 1: 4:02 - fastish start but actually about where I should be
    km 2: 4:16 - hmm 10k pace
    km 3: 4:09 - bit more like it
    km 4: 4:21 - wake up will you?
    km 5: 4:10 - ok

Didn't look at the splits during the workout but ran by feel (i.e. as hard as I could without blowing up entirely).

All measurements done by GPS so possibly some inaccuracy.

Need to work on consistency and pace.  Intervals don't really belong to my favourite workouts. 

With warm-up and cool-down not far off 11 miles.

Good conditions - cool and overcast.
  • Done a bit of running the last couple of weeks, mixed in with some strength training in the gym. May have overdone it a bit as there is a twinge in my hamstring...oops!

Managed to get a PB on the treadmill for a 10k though - 55 minutes exactly. Fairly pleased with that but have to remember that there was no incline.

Been doing a lot of core work after runs, too. Push ups, sit ups etc. Kind of hoping that it'll help with my running technique and my breathing as well.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Malteser - I do think strength training makes a difference.
    Hazelnut, I have trouble with intervals myself. I tried for three MP miles on Wednesday. The first was spot on, the second was HMP, then I overcompensated and the last one was too slow. I'd say you did pretty well there.

9 miles today - felt pretty good after a rest yesterday (even if the rest involved the gym). Minor bum niggle (high hammy - it's always there a bit) and foot niggle, but it's the usual foot niggle not the lumpy thing, which seems to have calmed down.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to the lighter mornings and evenings Cal, just gives you better options for your routes.

Nice intervals Hazelnuts, not always easy to get the consistency .

Turned up for a gym class after work only to find it had been cancelled,so reluctantly went and did a 5k on the TM,mangaed to do it dead on 22 minutes,and that included 0.5km warm up,so happy with that.

When cooling down I noticed a couple of guys weighing themselves,so thought I'd  weigh myself as I don't have any at home.Normally I go by if I can get into my 30'' jeans I'm happy,back in the early noughties I was about 10.5 stones.So when I stepped on the scales I came in at a whopping 11.4,had to get on and off 3 times because didn't believe it.

Not sure where this extra weight has come from,diet is ok and I don't do heavy weights so can't be muscle .That extra weight must be detrimental to my speed,obviously I'll have to make a few tweeks to get weight down again and because I'm a 5ft '8 short arse,no doubt my BMI will be heading in the wrong direction.

• Good work on the TM and in the gym Malteser.  Maybe you can set an incline on the TM? (1-2%).

Good your foot is calming down Cal.

Swift 5k on the TM JD.  I go by the trousers rule as well.  If yours still fit ok - is it possible the scales were simply inaccurate?  Another possibility might be that your running has built up muscle? 

Short recovery yesterday - had planned an MLR but wimped out due to the crap weather (heavy rain most of the day and windy on top as of the afternoon).  Will do that today instead - still windy but dry from above at least.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Quite humbling to read of your distances, times, paces and variety of sessions.  Still, like a fruit bowl, I may be able to choose at will in time!

Yesterday,(9 min. Run + 1 min. Walk) x 3, and not so gasping for breath as 2 days ago.
    Tomorrow: (15 min. Run + 1 min. Walk) x 2.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JD, I used to weigh myself at the gym but I eventually relented and got my own scales. I can keep an eye on it a bit better that way. I'm actually about a stone lighter than I was when I was hitting the gym a lot - I did have more muscle then but also more fat.

Good job, swittle.

Southend parkrun today - I wanted a fast, flat one and it didn't look too bad to get to - an hour on the train from Fenchurch Street, although that also meant 20 minutes on the Northern Line and a 10 minute walk first.

It's a slow, stopping train and today it was even more slow as there were some signal problems early in the journey. A group of parkrun tourists going to the new Chalkwell run were sitting near me so I figured if the delay was too much I could hop off at Chalkwell and do that one instead, but in the end I reckoned I could just about make Southend. And I did, with a couple of minutes to spare. It meant I didn't have time for my usual mile warm-up, but a rushed speed walk with a bit of running thrown in from the station and I was warm enough.

The run is actually in Shoeburyness, in a park overlooking the Thames Estuary. It was lovely and sunny (but chilly) when I got there and the view was fantastic, but clouds rolled in by the time I'd finished the run. The run itself is three laps, all hard path (apart from a tiny bit of grass that isn't muddy). I reckoned I'd be on for a decent time so I pushed it a bit. There was a bit of congestion at the start but I still managed 7:49 for the first mile, which is pretty quick, then did a 7:50 and a 7:54. Came in at 24:25 which is my second fastest parkrun ever (I'm still a bit dubious about the 24:09 at Beckenham last summer, which I'm convinced is a bit short) and only second time over 70% age grade. Very happy to go under 24:30 as Garmin measured the course as the correct length. 1st in age group (by over three minutes) and 10th lady, so it was a good day at the office.
    Only bummer was I somehow managed to lose my return ticket - don't know how as I'm usually super careful - so had to buy another. Not much I could do about that.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Cracking parkrun Cal,very good consistent spilts.That was a good trek out to Southend but worth it in the end.I'll have to buy some scales,my jeans comfortably fit me so maybe the gym scales are a bit faulty.

Keep at it Swittle,you're doing well.

Hope your MLR went to plan Hazelnut.

Just a 5.2 miles easy run this morning,with Polly who was a good girl and kept her legs to herself.Did consider going to a parkrun but with Chester tomorrow I thought I better be sensible.
    Looking to get within 25 seconds of my course record tomorrow,which is 41:47,weather is looking ok ish a bit of a moderate breeze but nothing like Rhyl,thankfully.
  • Managed a Parkrun PB today.

Still buoyed by managing a half marathon last weekend, I didn't know what to do this weekend, running wise.

There's a local half marathon this weekend too (Lydd) and I deliberated over it long and hard, but finally agreed after being out injured for best past of two months, 2 halfs in two weekends is probably pushing my luck. Also my right foot really hurts, which is weird.

So, with no race on, and it being dry and fairly calm, why not a Park run? Off to Pegwell, a whopping 330 odd people there!

I always put myself one row back, and find that's about right for me, but messed up my start badly (nattering to the guy next to me) looked round and there was probably 50 people in front of me! I'd totally missed it!!

I pulled off the gravel path and sprinted past maybe 30 people to get some space, but knew I'd pay for it and certainly did! Through lap 1 in 9:30 second lap was a fairly grim affair.

Time 20:22, (roughly 6.30 minute miling) I'd missed sub 20 again!, but that's it, it's on now! Last Park run 4 months ago 20:35.  Position today 21 of 330ish.

Good luck for tomorrow JD hope it goes well.  I'm also back on 30 inch trousers for the first time in over a decade! and similar height/weight. That is a fast 10k time to nail!

Nice Park run Cal. Annoying about the ticket.

Hang in there Swittle! I thought I wasn't going to run this year at all. you'll get there, keep chipping away!

Rapid intervals Hazlenut,  I'm still all over the place. must focus!

Re: my white trainers, they're a newish pair I've just used for road. Got a few well worn in ones in rotation for dreaded mud encounters!

Have a happy weekend.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's great, Linton - you'll get that sub-20 soon enough, I reckon.

Good luck with Chester, JD!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Cal, that's a swift 5k in anyone's book.  Maybe you could keep your ticket and bar code in a mini-wallet.  Well done on your 'podium' place!

Thanks, JDI - progress breeds progress!  Good racing tomorrow!

LTT: wise decision re a 2nd HM.  Sounds like a bit more 'racecraft' will grant you that sub-20!  Thanks for your encouragement.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Forgot my own MLR :-o

23mph WSW wind up Crosby beach made for a pleasing first 15 minutes but, after u-turning, my pace dropped a little on the wide trails and beach, and I ended 150 yd or so short of my starting point.  Still, furthest [again] for 9 months.  :-)
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic result Linton,you'll sub 20 sooner rather than later,and considering you've been injured,that's a great run.

Always tough running on the beach when it's windy,Swittle.Well done anyway.My mil used to live in Formby and I stopped off at Crosby beach to have a look at Anthony's Gormley's statues on the beach,didn't stay long because it was bloody freezing,but they're impressive though.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A few of the 'Men' have a regular Saturday volunteer's role during parkrun in yellow fluorescent gilets!