Options

London 2020

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    not cancelled, postponed to October. Which is probably the best outcome in a bad situation. 

Either way it's not going ahead next weekend when we have paid to go there.
  • Options
    AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    We’re going to “ bite the bullet” and defer until 2021, even if this year isn’t cancelled we don’t feel we should put family and friends in any more harm than necessary, also we’ll be less for the overstretched emergency services to worry about, good luck everyone, whatever happens
  • Options
    Cambridge HM was a good event today - was strange there being no high-5's offered, but the supporters made up for that with fantastic vocal encouragement 
  • Options
    Anyone here with a charity place for London been informed what will happen to their place should postponement or cancellation occur? 
    I have a charity place for Mind, but they are being quite tight lipped. 
    I would assume a postponement to later in the year our places will stand, just have more time to fund-raise, but haven't a clue what would happen in the event of cancellation.
    I've heard via a 3rd party that St John Ambulance charity runners would have their places deferred to next year in the event of cancellation, with no further funds need to be raised. 

Any charity runners here, heard anything? 
  • Options
    All football fixtures have now been cancelled. It's a matter of time before the London Marathon is cancelled. I just wish they'd let us know sooner rather than later. It's now obvious that it will be cancelled.
  • Options
    IF VLM gets postponed, I hope it does not clash with my Toronto Waterfront Marathon on 18 October.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    St Patricks day parade cancelled by Mayor of London. Everyone seems to not trust the govts stance from last night.
  • Options
    The government needs to make the decision - at least that way some people will be able to recoup some losses via their insurance - and runners need to stop saying that they would go and run the route anyway, it's selfish and irresponsible.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Agreed on both points! I may well still go to London as we all go as a family and do a lot of tourist stuff. I certainly won't be partaking in a 'freedom run'.

Ashby 20 have just cancelled for sunday.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - if the government ban/cancel London marathon that won't be a valid insurance claim.   A lot of runners lost out on Tokyo flights and hotel costs as there were no restrictions on travel to Tokyo.  So was treated as declination to travel.  There are no restrictions on travel to UK and London, as far as I know.

I agree re those intending to run the route anyway.  Pointless and dangerous.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck to those 'freedom' runners as they negotiate the speeding cars inside the tunnels!

Silly thing to do as LMH says. The London experience is about going to the Expo, being nervous together at the start, the crowd, the bands, the sights, the right turn into The Mall as you see the finish gantry, the medal, it's a whole package. Pointless running 26.2 in the Sunday London traffic.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

One thing that is worth considering as to why these races are cancelled beyond the spreadability of the virus is this;

to host a major event requires the resources of trained medical staff. If the NHS is hammered over this they can't release medics to attend major races. That is why Ashby 20 has been cancelled I understand. They couldn't get medics.

Also, after running a mara you will have a suppressed immune system so suddenly 50k people catapulted into a high risk cat.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I have heard that a decision to postpone London has been taken and an announcement is imminent.

Looking at 4th October.

• Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Nooooo - I'm on holiday at the beginning of October - where did you hear that DT19? 

Edit: Just checked dates and we fly on the 9th (assuming the world is as normal as it gets by then) so the 4th would be perfect! Stops me having to find a suitable autumn marathon too. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Guess Manchester on 5 April will follow suit
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Someone on the sub 3 fb page who has connections at vmlm I believe. My coach also has a similar connection and told me this morning London were looking at alternative dates.

My coach has just messaged saying he's heard 4th Oct.

It's week after Berlin so I may have to bin it off.

• Options
    I just hope they make a decision soon - my knees need a break.

I can't see Manchester going ahead.
  • Options
    Boston, Berlin, Chicago, London and New York - all within about a week of each other.  
    I got my Six Star Marathon Majors last year but if someone does all of these and Tokyo in March next year they would have achieved the Six Stars in six months - took me 15 years.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am in 3 of them!! 6 would be a push.

• Options
    Go for it and good luck
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    DT19 - That is going to be some month, which ones are you in?

Quite like the idea of VLM in October, training in the sunshine and not like the April version, in Storm this and Storm bloody that. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ouchouch- Berlin 28th Sept, London 04th oct (tbc) and New York 01st November.

I may simply have to ditch London as Berlin was a targeted smash so 7 days later is pushing it even to plod around.....isn't it?? New York was always planned as a tourist run as we are going for my wifes 40th  and I have had to promise I won't let the mara dominate matters and that I will be in sightseeing shape after the race. 

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    DT19 - Mouthwatering.  A 2 week gap would be ideal, but 1 week, yep, asking too much. Berlin would be great for NY but I wouldn't have the discipline not to run NY full-beans. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well, you know, we all tell white lies to our partners to get things across the line don't we!! I suspect despite my best intentions i'll find myself going easy at 7mm, then post a 6.50, then go through half way at 1.29.xx and then it's game on!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I have Abo on 18th, if Brighton reschedule to 11th then im in trouble.
  • Options
    DT19,

I did Boston a week after London in 2014, was 20 minutes faster 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    BBC News - Coronavirus: London Marathon postponed due to outbreak
  • Options
    You should definitely be able to bimble round and enjoy it a week later DT19.

I much prefer training through the summer.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    DT19 - Haha too true. I will pencil you in for a sub 3 there then.

Yes, really like the idea of running London in October.  Just seen the official statement, which covers all the bases.  The right decision, bring it! Suspect my Geneva marathon will be rescheduled for later that month which would be good.