Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    There’s a few that are going to Paris anyway for 5th and keen for a run on the Sunday morning (hangovers welcome). A plan is forming... It will be absolutely informal, no medals, no refreshments, at your own risk and definitely a laugh or two will be had. Thinking about:
    - 10am start (no need to get up too early if there’s no medal) at Arc de triumph
    - a shortened route down champs elysees, up around opera, to bastille, back along the Seine to the Eiffel Tower, up Concorde, across to the Bois de Boulogne and around to finish on avenue Foch. Approx 18kms, you can add on more in the park if you’re keen.
    - then to the PUB!
    PM me if you’re interested. I’ll post key updates if there’s enough interested.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    @Dom Norrish MCM on 25th. Ballot opens on 18th March. ;)
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Might well be interested Radar, still waiting for the email to know what options there are before deciding for sure what my plan is
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    https://www.mapometer.com/running/route_5018556.html proposed route. We’ll have to see how it goes with no road closures in some places but should be able to stick pretty close to this.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I’m still flabbergasted they haven’t sent an email about this. I wonder how many people are as yet completely unaware about the postponement.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    It really is ridiculous. Just look at the speed and quality of the postponement announcement by the Rome marathon.
    They're probably still trying work out the wording of how to break it to us that there won’t be any refunds or deferrals 
  • Eggyh73 & Orbutt, Rome has given Paris organisers a near-perfect blueprint to follow too - must be French bureaucracy at work 😟
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac I’ve logged into my TimeTo account. I am registered to run the Paris Marathon on October 18th
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Same here Orbutt, with the same bib number. No other options mentioned at the minute
  • Yep Orbutt there it is... And the 5k Breakfast Run on the 17th has been added. Being the well-organised tourist (and one thing less to do amidst the plethora of travel plans), I'd also booked an open bus tour via TimeTo. That booking has now disappeared ☹️
  • So disappointed Paris has been cancelled but inevutable.
    I received an email from the charity I'm running for Bowel Cancer UK to tell me the news and they said to contact the organisers if I wanted a refund. No email from the organisers tho!
    No way am I waiting til October to run a marathon so I'm looking at Liverpool (unless we start cancelling in the UK too).
    I had rooms booked for the fam for 4 nights and had persuaded my sis to run too (would have been her 1st marathon and my 6th) so am gutted for her.
    Luckily the hotel has given me a credit valid for a year and I hadn't sorted travel just yet so I'm gonna seek out a spring marathon here and will probably end up running Paris in Oct and use that hotel credit!
    Hope everyone gets to run on the 5th those that do go to Paris x
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    minniegloo - hi. Liverpool is a great race but totally different from Paris. 
    I’ve done it 4 times and I’ll be running it again this year, hopefully.
    Its a bit more ‘lumpy’ and a bit quieter in parts but you get to see some great parts of the city - this year we’ll be running through the Kop stand at LFC again. 
    The Scouse supporters are wonderful too.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Given that Paris is postponed rather than cancelled, I’d be very surprised if they offer refunds. Also given how poor their communication on this has been I’d imagine any request being met with a Gallic shrug.

Rome certainly wins the award for how to handle this in the best possible manner.

Minniegloo - I concur with Orbutt. I ran Liverpool in 2018 and thought it was a great event. Although the city does hold a special place in my heart, as I spent many a youthful holiday in the city visiting relatives. That and it being home to a certain football team and being a Scottish lad that it was home to King Kenny Dalglish. I even had a pair of Puma Dalglish, sadly it turns out owning a pair of boots with his name on them didn’t mean you could play like him! 
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    So the lovely gesture by the Brighton Marathon is actually going to cost £75!!!!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Yes, I thought that.
    It seems they were just saying that they had spaces available, not that they were free.
    Still, I suppose if someone didn't want their mileage to go to waste this would be an attractive alternative 
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of people complaining that Brighton was not allowing entries and then suddenly they had spaces for the rome/paris people
    I didn't expect the spaces to be free, i just think £75 is pulling peoples pants down who've already be shafted
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    A lot of event organisers haven't done themselves any favours in terms publicity with these current events. Rome is the only one that seems to have handled this with its thought on participants, rather than on the prestige of the event.
    I'm holding off on signing up for any marathons until the picture is a bit clearer. I feel at a bit of a loose end now with the goal of running Paris gone. I'm still planning on completing this weeks training, so that I can tick off all the training up to the taper point. I need to reset my mind, as outside work Paris has been my main objective since returning from Japan at the beginning of December.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I'm still training as I've got the entry into London and Liverpool to focus on.
    Problem is, in the back of my mind I've got the prospect of London being binned so I can't really say that my heart is really in it.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be tough mentally for anyone training for a spring marathon just now, as people will be uncertain about any large event going ahead as planned.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I've had a bit of an accidental week off training this past week as I was travelling to visit family at either end of the country and just couldn't fit any training in with family and work (I'm self employed, so still have to work when I'm away from home unfortunately!), despite more than half my suitcase being running gear! Like Orbutt, I'm also in for London so Paris being off doesn't let me off the hook yet, so will have to try and get back to it this week. Started this morning with a PT session that felt tougher than it should have, but I'm probably about to come out with a cold (IT'S ONLY A COLD!) as the last leg of visits involved 4 days of bouncing a 1 year old around who dribbled all over me quite a bit, and then on the day we were leaving came out with a full blown snot fest. 

Read this over the weekend too, which might be of interest to those of you discussing immunity for marathon runners recently: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/well/move/exercise-immunity-infection-coronavirus.html

As for backup races, I was already half considering Stockholm in May (I have cancel-able accommodation booked, but nothing else yet), or Liverpool might be an option for me too to avoid having to splash out on flights that might not get used. The new October date for Paris unfortunately unlikely to work for me as I'm in for Chicago the week before and will probably make a holiday/visiting friends Stateside for a few weeks after if the world is still turning by then. 
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    I have contacted the eurostar to see what there policy is for transferring the bookings to the new dates or cancelling completely. I will post anything i get back
    Will Paris be worth visiting anyway as if they are banning large gatherings will the tourist attractions even be open?
  • I’m really curious too. I can’t get refunds from hotel, airline and it’s not looking good from the marathon organisers either. Card company also says no. <div>I plan to go to Paris and run along the river but only if the other tourist attractions are open too. 
    <div>Here’s hoping....</div></div>
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    PT71 said:
    I have contacted the eurostar to see what there policy is for transferring the bookings to the new dates or cancelling completely. I will post anything i get back
    Will Paris be worth visiting anyway as if they are banning large gatherings will the tourist attractions even be open?
    I've cancelled my accommodation and won't be going. Normally I might have headed over anyway and just stuff myself with patisserie, steak frites and crème brûlée, but my other half has been a bit unwell recently so I'm trying to be sensible with travel etc for the time being. I've got Eurostar tickets booked, but haven't looked into options for that yet. I know I've tried to change dates for previous bookings on the eurostar, and it's actually usually cheaper to just sack it off and buy a new set of tickets.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    PT71 - At the moment it would seem that most of the main tourist attractions are still open, although the Louvre did close for a few days. If the number of cases continues to escalate in the next few weeks then I'd imagine a few of the larger attractions may close down temporarily.
    I'm still undecided on going over or not next month. My flights and hotel are paid for and non-refundable, so I'll make a late decision on that.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    So, no refunds then.
    What a surprise 😏
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    I expected no refunds. They could have offered deferral! What utter anuses.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Seems strange to just automatically register everyone for the new date. I can see them having a lot of no-shows in October, and also a lot of people trying to pass on their registrations to someone else.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I would have been more surprised had they offered refunds.
    Having signed up for the Breakfast run I had the joy of two emails telling me events I won't be doing any longer have now been rescheduled.
  • Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    I would have liked to have been able to defer. Not sure what to do now as I have no idea when my summer contract will end... Wonder if I can claim from credit card company if it is deferred but not cancelled.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    > @Eggyh73 said:
    > I would have been more surprised had they offered refunds.
    > Having signed up for the Breakfast run I had the joy of two emails telling me events I won't be doing any longer have now been rescheduled.

I did the same, i took out insurance on the breakfast run so will look to cancel it
    I think its bang out of order to just assume everyone can go in October