Monday 9th March 2020 - I wrote you a letter

Morning.

Lyrics - I wrote you a letter
             To make myself feel better

Hope things are improving for emzap's family.

A rough night here and I have a sore throat and my knee hurts despite my only running a mile yesterday - I'm not hopeful:-(

What:         I'll try a short and easy run
Why:          I want to be able to run
Last hard:  not being able to run
Last rest:   6/3
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Doesn't sound good, LMH.

Hope Emz and co are improving. 

And hope Wabo pops in to tell us everything is fine! Except Spurs, that is.

What: something at some point

Why: hamstring has been niggling for a few days. Will have a short test run and then decide if I am running with M74. And having said that the back was much better, I lied! That is also niggly after an hour or so of gardening. Need to get the balance right between strengthening and resting it.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It's so difficult to get that balance Alehouse. I'm just back from my walk and my knee feels better but my quads feel heavy/tired. Trying to decide whether to head out for another walk or try a run. I think it will be the latter but I'm really not sure it's the best thing to do. Hope your niggles feel better for moving.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Yesterday's lyrics were Ambulance by Blur. Didn't get one but thought it was appropriate!

What: hope a walk
    Why: need to keep sane
    Last hard: sleeping, though we did get a bed last night so we've done Lucas shifts
    Lyrics: familiar

Lmh your knee doesn't sound good.

Did I mix up wabo and wp for the half? Sorry if I did

Ale yes that balance is tricky. Must say I'm not doing my exercises at the moment, just no energy

Have a good day all
  • You did emzap but I think you'll be forgiven in the circumstances. I hope that you managed to get some sleep? Is Lucas any better?
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Got a bit of sleep and Lucas looks a bit better though not sure we'll be discharged today.

Still feeling pretty grotty here, feels like I'm swallowing razorblades!

Lmh I keep seeing speculation about London being cancelled. Have you heard any more?
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    I was going to buy flights and do London, but I'm waiting to see how things go this week - I expect a move from containment to delay, possibly within the next few days, and if that happens I think London will get cancelled, along with all large events. 

That's not great news about your back Ale /your throat and knee LMH / Lucas and your throat emzap. Best wishes for speedy recoveries.

I love Blur, but don't know that one at all Emzap - better go and look it up
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all - another weekedn when I seem to have been awol...
    Emz (Lucas) - sorry to hear about the hospital visit, hoping you're both feeling better very soon
    OH - impressive with the polar bear challenge - I shudder just thinking about it
    Chick - impressive mileage, well done!
    chamolk - echo what LmH says, getting the consistency in will reap dividends. Always drop in an easier week every month and make sure the long runs are not all marathon pace: keep some of them easy. Sure it helps to do some "faster" bits - I sometimes do between 5 & 12 miles at target mara pace - but usually take them easy. (not that running 18-22 miles can ever be called "easy")

What - easy lunchtime
    Why - getting back on the bike
    Last rest - 17/02
    last hard - getting that mojo back. Saturday was 10 miles trail - nice to be out but the ground was surface water everywehere. Struggling with lack of sleep, general tiredness and fatigue so opted for an extra hour or so of sleep yesterday, so missed a long run. Kids XC for much of the day and dragged my sorry backside out for 5k last night. Must do better....Barely anything to moan about compared to others so I know how lucky I am. 

Went to the big Tesco on Saturday for the main monthly shop. Devoid of tomatoes, pasta, rice and obviously toilet rolls & hand gel. These people are stock piling the wrong things: we bought 3 cases of beer, 18 bottles of wine and a dozen packs of haribo....we're sorted if we go into lock down....

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    I love your stockpiling Dustin! I discovered they're limiting paracetamol when I went to get some to help my throat, shelves were empty but they gave it if you asked. Loo roll is crazy!
  • Dustin - you sound like a few easy days are needed.

emzap - I have heard nothing but agree with chamolk's interpretation of the situation. I think we'll have an announcement today banning large gatherings and I think it's the right thing to do.

Set off for a run having decided I could always walk home again and would feel worse if I didn't at least try and although slow for the first few miles my knee felt better rather than worse as I went so I enjoyed a short run. If I hadn't needed to get back for work I'd have carried on whilst the going was good but as it is I will have to hope that my knee and the weather will be ok tomorrow.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Must go and do a Dustin-style stock up. 

What: 10 mins easy test of the hamstring, improving as it got warmer, then 25 minutes with M74. Similar story to LMH I guess. 
    Can feel it a little now I have stopped.

Why: niggle management.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Haha, Dustin - nice to see someone get their priorities right :)

Heading in the right direction, LMH and ale.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time, em.

Well done on the weekly mileage, chamolk.

Nice long run, Hazel. Thinking about those unable to run never fails to kick my backside into gear.

However, no running today. My body made it clear to me that it doesn't want to run. Nice long walk in the sun instead. Will also do some s&c later but right now I need some extra zzz trying to get rid of a nasty headache.
  • I hope it settles down Alehouse.

Tends to be one step forward and one back with my knees at the minute chicksta. A shame you couldn't make the most of your day off and good weather but better to be sensible.

I'm surprised the government haven't pulled the plug on mass gatherings today.
  • Afternoon..

strolls off to check stores - beer available, wine available, chocolate, homemade cake (if OH hasn't eaten it all yet), loo rolls.  Who needs pasta anyway, much prefer potatoes.

Enjoy the rest of your day off Chicksta.  Hope you can shift that headache with some zzz.

Good your knee let you run today LMH and ditto to the niggles Ale.

Hope you are out of the hospital soon emzap - really sounds like you need to be. 

I would hold off making any plans for races as long as possible at the moment chamolk.

What: rest day
    Why: Monday
    Last rest: today

Lyrics: no
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon
    so sorry to hear that LMH
    all is fine alehouse, I actually managed the club relay race at the weekend and the forest 10k.  I don't like saying anymore because I seem to put the mockers on myself!! Both went well and cheered me up immensely.  Spurs on the other hand.....
    oh I need to read back re emzap.  :-(
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    emzap poor lucas poor all of you.  It is not nice seeing them poorly.  Hope everything picks up real soon
    hazel enjoy the rest - my work mates think I am hoarding loo rolls as I have a box of 48 coming today or tomorrow, but the last box I got was December!!
    wish you better Chick
    alehouse sorry you are niggle managing too
    dustin, lol how funny I love your stock piling, its bonkers seriously!

what: mile this morning, walk later with my mate
    why: I feel lots better 
    last hard: this am
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Wabo I'm guessing you use who gives a carp too then?!

Lucas is getting cabin fever so he must be getting better right?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon (although it is dark and wet so perhaps it is now evening)!

Cabin fever, of the right sort, sounds like progress, Lucas!

Two races Wabo! You must be better! Hope that they went well. Big match tonight: Leicester are probably playing worse than Spurs! On a real bad patch. 
  • That does sound like progress emzap. Fingers crossed.

Glad to hear you are ok and had a good weekend Wabo.
  • Lunchtime swim between surgeries (325m taking me to 225m to go)
    lovely sunny day
    5k group run after after work
    last hard - the run after work
    lyrics no

Covid-19 now in Shetland but not in Orkney yet ...
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭

Saw this picture and thought of you Dustin
    LMH - I thought the announcement might have come today too, but I suspect its not far off. They previously said they wouldn't introduce all the delay measures at once, but would stagger them in. 
    Emzap - hopefully a good sign - maybe home tomorrow? 
    OH - does the island make you feel more or less safe? 
    Wabo - nice racing weekend
    Hazel - potatoes over pasta any day
    Ale - hope the hamstring has eased

Dustin - yeah, most of my long runs before this had been pretty easy, this was just planned as my final , big one. The previous week had been an easy week with no long run, and only 20 miles total - really felt the difference during last week, things felt a lot easier and faster. Was due to start tapering soon, but we'll see what happens.

Got 4 easy miles earlier. Had planned to get out again this evening, but unfortunately didn't get time. Tuesday is usually a cross training day, so I might add a few easy miles to and from the gym