Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's quite smooth in being able to paste stuff in, and auto populate the right field. But obvs depends on that info being right to start with!

Moraghan - where are you based these days? My slightly dodgy geography / memory suggests it used to be not too far from MK? At a loose end Sunday 22nd?

Bus - Reading would be the obvs choice for a half. Highest quality and numbers in the country. 4 weeks away.

Massive elephant in the room is that it could easily be called off if the virus worsens. At £42 it's probably too much of a risk. Entries are "closing soon", but I'm sure last year were still open til half a week before.

I'll keep monitoring it though, but I suppose at least I did manage to get a HM in this year unlike last!

Fleet this week is long sold out. MK is open still, but it's one of these dodgy "festivals" where they have about 73 different distances, and you basically end up being top 10 or so, risking running the whole thing on your own. When most of us run better amongst higher quality, it's non starter really unless desperate.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SW - not sure how I managed not to comment on your HM outing!

Sounds like you can join the thread "factors affected our times at a HM" gang :)

At least we can talk about wind, which was out of our control, yours must be super frustrating!

I always fear either the laces snapping when I do them up before the start, or, undo them clumsily and find there's a knot I can't sort in those last few mins!!

Mine came undone early in a XC once, but I just carried on, as it was luckily a flat one at Windsor, and can't have been too muddy. Would have been a disaster at some of the hillier, muddier courses.

But another time at a XC before that, there was a water jump, and even tightly tied laces didn't stop the shoe being whizzed off by the mud on landing!

I can't even word that stress of realising the shoe was no longer on my foot, and was tied up tight! Somehow managing to cram it back on my foot, despite it being a tight fitting shoe. Still cost about 15secs though

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    The most frustrating thing was I had retied them in the starting pen! The laces on the Cloudflash are super long for some strange reason, even double knotted the loops are almost touching the floor. 

Did you see Adam Hickey ran most of national cross with one shoe on and still came 4th?

Congratulations on the silver Simon, and the gold Dean (If hes still reading)

5m recovery last night, legs a bit sore but will trudge out 10 tonight
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Cheers SW - Don't you push the loops underneath the laces along the top though? - you can't have them flapping about when you're running. As long as you do that you should be ok.

SG - The short lap at MK is decent - I wouldn't worry about the length of the leg you have to do, always a good day out.

Should have kept my mouth shut..Brexit, the election, AFCB in the relegation zone, trains shite, weather shite....at least I'm not injured....he said... Now got a niggle which has stopped me running. Was OK this morning until I had to stand on a delayed train for nearly an hour. Its that tendon that is on the inside of the knee, but not an actual knee issue. Bollocks.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - wow, I always think of you as utterly unbreakable! Hope it's an odd passing thing.

Put a tempo in, always the type of run I find I really have to encourage myself to do, but fancied it, just a standard 6mile job.
    Dorney Lake, 6.15 job.

Usual deal, pretty windy one side, moderate the other side, so usual mix of splits
    6.19,6.17,6.10,6.23, 6.10,6.07

Pretty clear to see how wind affects it, as probably a level effort throughout.

Mile 6 I change direction midway, to not end up with too long a cool down (having done a 2miler from the car to start with - and starting on the far bridge near their clubhouse).
    Half of that was into wind, but you have a mile still and have that momentum at the end even into wind.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Quality run that SW. Just a shame you didn't learn to tie laces properly ;) At least it was only a Half so you can probably get another in soon & get that sub 80 you would've had.
    The sole of a fell shoe started flapping on the final descent during a fell race some years ago. I stopped & tried to tie it on before removing the shoe completely & carrying on. Fortunately it was mostly down a grassy field - I went over a couple of times when my sock slid. The concrete track & bridge before the final climb to the finish was uncomfortable. Fortunately I stayed ahead of my club rival & secured the club championship B)
    That's rough Simon. I had a swollen knee for over a year from 2017-2018 due to a tendinopathy which became tendonosis on that one. An orthopaedic surgeon & triathlete I know warned me it could well become infected & rupture if I carried on. I reduced my intensity but carried on with the volume & maintained the foam rolling. Eventually it healed up.
    PS: Age certainly has caught up with my drinking/running. Now I'm 50 I only got out for 10M - a few years ago I'd've still done 20M.
    Cycled in yesterday & ran back which worked well as it was sunny for the bike but wet n windy on the run. Loathe cycling in the wet but once I'm out I don't mind it whilst running. Reversing that combo today. Legs weren't quite as bouncy this morning so 10M@8:02 was marginally harder than 10M@7:47 yesterday evening. Might get up the club tonight for a session but no pressure now :) I'll see what the weather's doing.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great tempo SG, I'm completely sick of the wind now!

Hopefully a day or twos rest and you will be alright Simon, finger crossed.

Jools - I've had a quick look but can't see a half to fit in at the moment. Theres one round a reservoir in June but that could be a solo run as it was won in 1.21 last year. Sounds like your fitness is coming back at just the right time
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Good tempo SG. horrible but necessary.

Regards the knee - will get the missus to put her qualification to good use and give me a massage - I think it stems from the tight glute/hamstring on my left leg - I'm pretty sure it's affecting the way I run. I will give the knee a bit of ice too.

As I was targeting the 1500m indoors, I was planning to have a quietish week this week anyway. Looking forward to the weekend, no racing and then watching the Fleet half.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    where's Pete with his weekend check-in? I wanted to tell him that I ran the Rickmansworth parkrun and that it was rated on RB with a scratch score of 2.6. 2.6, go figure!!

Sorry to read of the lace issue SW. I'm sure we all wonder about it in races and to look down and see the reality must be some kind of horror show.

Hope you mend quickly Simon. 

Looking forward to the 12 stage. I'm sure that given we've got 2 team captains that at least one of them will start with some organization at some point.  B)  
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    What's Rickmansworth like Wool? Are you saying 2.6 is high or low IYO? Good to be reminded that SS stands for Scratch Score, cheers. My 2nd at Tremorfa failed to count towards my RB handicap as the SS was only 1.6. Looking at the results on RB it appears most of the other runners it recognises had a SB too especially in the first half of the field so I guess that's why.
    Good tempo SG.
    Can't be arsed going up the club tonight as I doubled up with a session on the treadmill at lunch today: 3x 400m@6:48/400m@6:26/400m@6:00/400m@6:26/400m@6:48 off 800m@8:00. Really enjoyable session :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Wool said:
    where's Pete with his weekend check-in? I wanted to tell him that I ran the Rickmansworth parkrun and that it was rated on RB with a scratch score of 2.6. 2.6, go figure!!

Sorry to read of the lace issue SW. I'm sure we all wonder about it in races and to look down and see the reality must be some kind of horror show.

Hope you mend quickly Simon. 

Looking forward to the 12 stage. I'm sure that given we've got 2 team captains that at least one of them will start with some organization at some point.  B)  
    If ever there's a post that shows why management is so many million times harder than just being part of a team :D

Between fb and whatsapp I must have about 50 message trails, involving every potential runner (30-40), chats with the other captains - one who was adamant we could never get a ladies team out as they are "all" doing marathons, and who won't even be there on the day, and the other one who is superb at "suggesting" people to contact and things to do, yet seemingly never personally does either :D

Add in the SEAA people, the chairman and having to liaise closely with the secretary to make sure that every one of the potential squad is 1)actually signed on, 2)actually 1st claim to us, and 3) properly EA licensed, making sure this is all entered accurately and paid for myself.

2-3 usual suspects have injuries that mean we can't even be certain of the make up of the final 12 until late doors, meaning we can't even dream of setting an order yet.
    We have had the foresight to sign up a designated 13th man though - that is critical.

I will drop a note out now to see if someone can bring the tent and sh!t

Sort of enjoyable...

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    with great power comes great responsibility  B)
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - it's really the flattest piece of ground you could possibly imagine. Tarmac and fully tree-lined so that it's not impacted by wind. It's a little bit twisty in a couple of places and has a bit of an over-taking issue given that it's 2 laps but in reality it's a fast course. 2.6 seems very over-inflated to me!

My Garmin had me running through the lake at 7:20 pace for much of the 2nd lap which was a little irritating I assume the tree cover buggers up the GPS reception completely. That wouldn't be an issue if you're fit and know your limits - I'm not fit, even for me, and can't control my limits right now as a result!

I think Cassiobury might be a marginally faster course if you're looking for a quick one in that area. That's 3 laps on lovely smooth tarmac and is actually net downhill  :o
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds a great course for a fast time Wool. Tremorfa is 2.8 laps in a figure of eight round an exposed playing field & a triangle of trees near Cardiff Docks. Several right angled corners & one 135 degree one. You also have a little chicane round a fenced off kids play area on the narrowest part of the course which you hit 3x the last of which is with about 300m to go which was pretty congested on that 3rd & final time so probably slightly harder by the sound of it.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Wool; 2.6 for Ricky SSS is daft, but I recall it was almost as high when I did it on NYD (and Cassiobury which was the 2nd half of my NYD double was about the same). What time did you do BTW? 

Contrast Rushmoor which I did Saturday, rated as a 2.0 despite having a 500m section along a canal and a 500 metre stretch through mud and puddles (each x2 as a 2 lapper!). I've given up trying to work out how RB come up with their ratings. Thought it just reflected others performances v expectations but all the top 20 or so seem to have been rated with a positive vSSS so go work that one out!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Pete, I ran a very ropey 18:11. I really think there's an art to finding the effort / duress line in short races and very pleased that I went out and ran a hard 5k ahead of the 12 stage just to get a feeling for this. I suppose running that time also shows that I've made some improvements since the 87 HM at Woky.

Speaking of the relays, organization went in to overdrive last evening. Almost like our captain was reading my comments yesterday! It won't be down to their efforts if we end up short of a team or COVID'd off...  B)

I'm interested to see where my own mindset goes once things start to get cancelled / postponed. Will I be arsed to train with so much uncertainty I wonder?
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Really don't see how the relays can be sensibly called off. Firstly it's outside in the fresh air and it's busy but there's enough space to get some space (badly worded). As long as there's no hugging etc and everyone is sensible then it will be fine.

Did Ricky PR in October with the kid. flat course but you need to be at the front. Very busy around the 25 minute mark and the paths are skinny.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool - that sort of effort has been going on behind the scenes for weeks, don't worry :D 

The relays will be fine I expect, it's everything after that. Reading half, London marathon etc. They have to be an almost certainty to be off surely. They called Man City v Arsenal off for tonight for example. Once top level sport with big money attached to it goes, amateur giggles will definitely go.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Wool; I'd be delighted with the 18'11 you describe as "ropey" (in fact delighted with 18'anything)! The limit of my ambition is getting a parkrun under 19'30 at the moment.

You've def come on a lot in the short post injury period since you were in the depths of only matching my time at Woky and no doubt will soon be back to your near 1'20 HM's of last year.
  • Simon - Congrats on the silver mate, hope the niggle isn't a serious one and you're back at it soon. 

Pete - think you're being a bit hard on yourself mate. Lots of racing in a short period of time, you can't always be firing in top gear. Just keep the consistency and prioritise rest and recovery and things will turn good. 

SW - good to see you on Sunday. Shoelaces! Have you not learnt anything from my Wokey experience last year. Christ. Great run all things considered - was hard out there for the front guys, especially those running on their own. The guy shoved the microphone under my nose the second I finished running - 3rd year in a row - he must like the look of me!

Really enjoyed pacing 1:30 @ surrey on Sunday. Took more out of me than expected to be fair, definitely not 100% run fit.

Been tucking into some rather tasty bike sessions, including one last night where I got to a point where I could literally no longer turn the pedals at the end. Closest I've come to vomiting whilst exercising. 

Got my race director gig at TR20 this Sunday, so this week has been absolutely manic. Bonkers the number of people messaging asking if they can have a place. Entries were open for 6 months - zero sympathy. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Can I have a place Joe?
    Just kidding :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Wool - i have 1000m to my name thru dec to feb, so if vlm and brighton both get cancelled, i have a north dorset mara entry too. Im still on it like a bandit at the mo.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    don't worry TR, your progress is being monitored on threads where I'd never dare post! 

Seriously great going though, some of those double LR weekends look brutal and I'm sure that you're being modest about your target. The way that you sped up at the end of Abo through sheer willpower was superb, channel that again and you're on to a winner.

I'm looking for excuses from some perspectives. Having been injured at the start of the year, I'm enjoying getting some training in again. The marathon is cruel though and it'll be tough to set a realistic target over than 'get round' off 7-8 weeks of training. Need to just keep getting out of the door for now.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Joe - Cheers for that, been squeezing things between my legs to help build up the quads, it feels a bit better already, will try and be jogging by the weekend. Brisk 35 mins walk to the station this morning and couldn't feel it, so can't be that bad.

SG - I'd feel safer anywhere outside than inside with the Covid-19 tbh. Depends what size of race really, local level things have no reason to be cancelled, or parkruns.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's all a lotto of whether you come into contact with someone with it, isn't it.
    You could get it going to a local newsagent with 1 person in the shop, or you could not get it, doing some event with 50,000 people.

You can't see it, so it's impossible to avoid really, unless you severely impact your usual routine.

We have a committee meeting tonight (don't hate me for my rock n roll lifestyle!), and a guy has just pulled out as he has a slight cold, and came into contact with someone whose son just came back from Italy..

It's all very tenuous links isn't it!!
    But still best he doesn't come along :D 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wool - agreed, keeping ticking the runs off and see where you get to. Abo was a good learning curve as i didnt feel great so was defensive and then really pushed hard in the last 6, somewhere in between that strategy is probably optimum.....i have entered again.

Simon - hopefully you are on the mend now.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Just make sure you have 1000 loo rolls a home and you'll be fine!

The world has gone bloody mad!

Busy on here too - about 30 posts since I checked in on Sunday!  Very nice "ropey" 5k Wool :smile:

Joe - if that's the nearest to puking you've come, you just aint working hard enough :wink:

First proper speed-work since Wokingham today.  Settled on 6 ish miles with a 5k tempo in the middle. Having to bring it forward after eating a Belgian bun and banana made it somewhat uncomfortable mind, and a strong headwind was less than helpful! I thought I was going to see the bun again through in the first fast mile.

Pretty pleased in the end though, as despite that, it came out as 6:17, 6:18, 5:56 and 40s for the odd bit for 19:11 all in. Suggests a sub 19 at LFOTM should reasonably be on the cards.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Your parkrun ambition & mine are the same right about now then Pete.
    Best of luck with TR20 on Sunday Joe, think you should've persuaded TR to race it though ;)
    The mud & hills haven't dented your speed any Bus: nice 5K tempo there with a really strong finish too.
    Sounds positive vis a vis the knee Simon.
    Bike/run commute combo again today plus 5M@7:40 at lunchtime to make another 15M day. Hellish head/crosswind from about 4M in on the run back so pleased to see the pace was quicker than last week for lower HR :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Would need to be a 52miler.

Bus - good pace there. Id expect a bigger chunk off when ypu put a number on. I wouldnt even hit hmp for 5k in training.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps, and hopefully TR, but don't want to overdo expectations after Wokingham!

Jools - you do squeeze 'em in! Your work rate is unbelievable!