Peroneal injury does not fit the patt

This is a long shot, but Dr Google has let me down 😂

About 3 weeks ago I did a fast (for me) interval session at the track, and over the following week or so I developed a sharp (stinging) pain on the outside of my leg about 3 inch above the ankle. The pain got worse to the point where I had to stop running, and up until this evening I hadn’t run for 8 days. Internet resources suggest that the pain is coming from the peroneal brevis muscle or tendon, however it doesn’t fit the ‘classic’ tendonitis around the ankle or side of the foot. The odd thing is, I can’t bring the pain on by working the muscle against a resistance band (moving the foot outwards with it pointing upwards). No matter how much resistance I put on, the pain never shows itself. The only thing that brings the pain on is either an extreme stretch, pressing firmly on the muscle or by running, in which case the very first step is instantly painful. Walking is totally pain free. The area around the muscle appears to be very slightly swollen and possibly very slightly bruised, but hard to tell because I’ve got very hairy legs! Anyway, this evening I went for a run just over 6k, and although it was a bit uncomfortable it was manageable and didn’t get worse. In fact, the run appears to have made it better if anything. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. 

Anyone else had had a similar problem? It’s so frustrating that only the specific action of running causes it, and I have several races coming up, starting in just over 2 weeks.

Comments

• Hi,
    The symptoms don't sing of tendinopathy. Depending on what age you are it could be useful ruling out a varicose vein as the cause. You may be able to do a simple screen yourself by working hard on an exercise bike and seeing if that reproduces your symptoms, although this test isn't 100%
    Otherwise, peroneal trigger point, periosteal bruising and peroneal nerve irritation are possibilities, but without proper assessment that list is just a bit arbitrary and may not be very helpful.
    Best,
    David
  • Hi,
    The symptoms don't sing of tendinopathy. Depending on what age you are it could be useful ruling out a varicose vein as the cause. You may be able to do a simple screen yourself by working hard on an exercise bike and seeing if that reproduces your symptoms, although this test isn't 100%
    Otherwise, peroneal trigger point, periosteal bruising and peroneal nerve irritation are possibilities, but without proper assessment that list is just a bit arbitrary and may not be very helpful.
    Best,
    David
    Thanks David. From your suggestions it might be just a trigger point. Actually before I read your reply, last night I did some really aggressive ‘digging’ at it and lots of cross-friction massage as it’s easy to get to, and this morning it does feel a bit better. I’ll probably have another go at it tonight and see how it goes towards the weekend. If no improvement then I guess it’s s visit to the physio to buy some expensive pain 😂