Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good LSR and weekly mileage Jools - you seem to be coming back in to shape at just the right time, assuming London goes ahead.

That's still a good set of speed reps Leslie.

A good weekend's running nicko and a nice Park Run PB.

Well done on the Ultra win Badbark - I'm sure those beers tasted good.

A good MLR Gul.

Hope Stevie and DT have had good races.

A bit windy here but headed out for the LSR late afternoon. It felt like hard work running in to the wind so struggled with the pace most of the way.  24 miles completed in 3:09, with the last 5 miles at 7:06 pace.

Gives me 87 miles for the week which will be my max.  Will try and keep the the mileage at 80+ for the next 4 weeks and start to focus on the speed.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, if you spread the gels right around evenly it shouldn't budge and the gels shift easily enough. 

Badbark, great to see you back in full force and congrats on the win. 

Jools, decent mileage and long run. 

gdawg, you appear to be moving ok from what ive seen on strava. 

Big long run and mileage, SBD!

Nicko, well done on the pb. Perhaps though you need to pretend next time it's a 10k. Decent long run also.

Knighton 20 today. I always like to do a 20m race as part of my build up. i usually do Ashby in late March but this year it was a week earlier than usual and clashed with my trip to Cardiff for the rugby. So i entered this much smaller event. Unusually for me this would be my first 20 of the campaign. 

It's a 3 lap course so plan loosely was lap 1 at 7mm, lap 2 at 6.50s, lap 3 at 6.40s. I know people dont take 20m races seriously but in my head i wanted a pb (2.18.xx) so this plan seemed to work. 

It was an extremely rural, undulating and exposed course with 800ft for elevation gain, 93 of which was in mile 20. The 16mph wind was much more impactive than forecast. 

I stuck to the plan for the first lap starting out at 7s but getting pulled along to complete at 6.59 average. I then kicked on too much in the 2nd lap so laps 2 and 3 were fairly well matched.

Lap splits were 45.23, 43.57 and 44.07 so pretty even laps 2 and 3. Mile 20 came in 7.10, by far my slowest, but not only was it all up hill it was straight into a headwind and i was in no mood to destroy myself. 

Came in 2.16.52 for a 79s pb and average hr 158 so nicely below the magic 160bpm for me. Average pace was 6.51. Compares well to last year of 6.55 and 158bpm on a still day. Last year it was my 4th 20 so given this was my first it bodes well.

Much harder course than London, no support and largely alone from mile 16. With a taper and a carb load also and 5 big weeks training, I'm  feeling well placed. 

Interestingly, last place was 4.58. i can see the attraction in London but this must have been miserable. I also feel sorry for the marshalls etc. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great 20 there DT. Well done.

Amazing mileage SBD.

Hid myself away from all things Surrey Half today. Gutted to have missed it but had to look at the bigger picture. 
    Was quite anxious before going for a run. Had a good one yesterday but this injury comes out of nowhere on a run and stops me dead, pretty much.

Glad to report I managed 6 miles without issue. It was a tad windy but averaged 7.08 pace which felt easy enough.

Physio tomorrow and then a week to hopefully build back up again.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Great to see Badbark back and firing on all cylinders! Congratulations!

Great 20 DT, looking really good for London. 

Nicko - congrats on the parkrun PB and the weekends training is looking good!

Disappointing day for me yesterday. 1.20.09 official which is 3s slower than my PB. Started off well and got settled in to a good group, first mile came in at 5.58 which was bang on plan. Then at around mile 2 disaster struck as my shoelace came untied! Briefly considered carrying on but they were whipping my other leg so decided that was a bad idea. Stopped to retie them which cost me around 30s and then also meant I had lost my group.
    This meant I basically ran the rest of the race solo passing back through the field, tried to just chase people down but was tough in certain sections in the headwind. Finished strong with 3 x 6.00 so quite happy with that, could see the clock on 1.19 as I came back into the leisure centre so that was agonising watching it tick over to 1.20. Very frustrating as I probably won't do another half now until Autumn unless I can find one after London
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - promising news and a good easy pace for sure .
    OO - nice pacing.
    Badbark - great racing; good to see you back and on form.
    Nicko - excellent work for the parkrun PB. Sounds like a pretty good week of training to me.
    Leslie - well done churning out the 1k reps 
    Jools - very solid long run and good mileage.
    SBD - excellent 24 miler. Just pipped me by 1 min.Looking very strong.
    DT - solid performance. You should be pleased with that.
    Stevie - how frustrating! You did well to pull that back and get so close to a PB.
    I had to get up early Sunday morning to finish my sermon so no run. 73 for the week I think. Intervals today. 5x600m. Decided to go for it and managed 2:06, 2:06, 2:07,2:09, 2:10. Bear in mind it's probably a bit short of 600m but same as last week so pleased with improvement (2:1x). Cutting back for HM on Sunday this week.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Is everyone self-isolating?!
    9 slow miles d&d.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Saw the Fizz yesterday. All good. He got a gadget out to measure my quad strength and both legs had solid high numbers. 
    He gave me some new strength exercises and I'm OK to run again but not by diving straight back into the campaign. He said I have to run every other day, starting with a 5 miler, then maybe a 7 , back to a 5, then an 8 etc... I can go quicker on the fives and go steady/easy on the longer stuff.

So, as I did 6 on Sunday, I dropped to a 5 last night. Felt nice to go a tad quicker and average 7.00 pace in horrible conditions. Last 2 miles were both 6.47.

Rest today as Woking FC are at home tonight, and then 8 miles tomorrow.

Trying to refocus on the campaign but feels difficult with the event highly unlikely to happen.
    If it does go I'll find a couple of HMs and have a go at a PB attempt.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I have the same feeling G Dawg. Finding it hard to focus and push myself that extra bit knowing that it could be unnecessary. At least you are  not injured, that's a relief.
    Rested yesterday and a club GP tonight.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Glad its good news G-Dawg! 

Tempted to look at Barca marathon in October now if London doesn't go ahead, still cracking on with training though.

Good luck tonight OO.

5m recovery last night and 10m to trudge out tonight as legs still a bit sore
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear the physio went well, G-Dawg and you are back to it.

Just need to blank all this stuff out and bash on. I have Berlin and NY in the Autumn so if London goes i'm still happy enough with that.

Shame not to get that sub 80, Stevie, but it'll no doubt come soon.

Same here, 10m easy over lunchtime. Woke up in the small hours with burning and dry throat. Feel a bit crappy today. My wife was ill over the weekend, just knackered etc so think I may have picked that up.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stevie in the current  uncertainly I would not personally book any more overseas marathons. I think the costs of hotels and race entry is definitely at risk so would hold off for now.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Don't worry OO wouldn't be booking anything until the summer!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey guys - some great training going on and racing too.

DT - Nice 20 miler at this stage of the game. I'm sure you'll be in great shape come London and Berlin.

Stevie - Cracking run at the half and so close to a pb. I'm sure you will smash 80 mins soon.

G-Dawg - That's good news.

Leslie - making great progress. 

Gul - Your weekly mileage has been very consistent. Best of luck for this Sunday. 

SBD - Unreal mileage and a great time on feet run as well. Looking very fit!

Nicko - nicely done on the parkrun. 

Jools - Nice mileage too. I can't recall if you are doing London or not? Providing it goes ahead of course.

No real let up in the wind and wet weather as yet which is slightly annoying but hopefully it will improve soon. I've not upped the mileage here but I seem to be doing ok, although I have had a niggle in my right knee and my right foot. It's been a few weeks now but hopefully nothing too bad. I did an SBD style 10k training run on Saturday and was pleased with the outcome. It's a nice hilly route with about 400ft of elevation. The mile splits were 7:01, 6:41, 6:07, 6:19, 5:59, 5:36 and 5:32 pace for the last .2. 39:01 was the time, so I've got to be pleased with nearly sub 39 for a training run. :smile:

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crikey GM! That's blistering pace for a training run. Nice one!

Stevie, I forgot to say well done on a great time at the Surrey on Sunday. Only 3 secs away from a PB is good work. Last year at the same event I missed a PB by 2 seconds. My carelessness was nothing to do with laces or other mechanical failure, I was simply lazy in the 8th and 9th miles and needed a kick up the jaxy from a passing club member who I eventually overtook half a mile from the line.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Stevie shame about the lace or you would be well sub 80 , as for disappointing well that's just on another level to most of us crap runners !!!!!!! I could do with some 80 min disappointment lol ...... You are one outing away form the big league (starting with a 7)

DT take it easy till you are feeling better 
    Gerard a 5:36 last mile you are flying at the minute and so close to a 38 min 10k .
    Gdawg easy does it and see how the knee reacts, patience is not something runners have much of though as we all know !
    Heavy rain then sunny every 15 mins here at the minute hope it fairs for club later .

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

10M done was hard graft and really didn't enjoy it. To compound that I seem to have messed my lower back up on the left hand si joint. Could feel it when running and now I've stopped the area is very sore. Might need a few lighter days.

Gerard, that's some top bombing there towards the finish.

Rumours are circulating that Boston (US) is going to cancel soon. They have cancelled their St Patricks day parade.

Manchester on the otherhand have sent everyone an e-mail saying they will only cancel if it's Government enforced.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Rumours are circulating that Boston (US) is going to cancel soon. They have cancelled their St Patricks day parade.

Where did you hear this please?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Someone local to Boston posted the fact that rumours were circulating locally that this was in the pipeline on the sub 3 mara facebook group.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Boston Marathon have posted an update today stating they continue to monitor.

https://www.baa.org/races/race-updates

Same as London, I guess, a day-by-day monitoring situation before making a final decision based on stats and WHO advice.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    It probably comes down to insurance, they are probably only covered if they are forced to cancel by the Government/WHO. I think that is the best way forward for the races anyway.

Hope the back eases quickly DT, getting into the take no risk period now
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, I suspect none will want to voluntarily cancel. If London did, there are many charities that might fold as they rely almost exclusively on this event.

Yep, I think I possibly took a risk today as I knew it wasn't right this morning but thought i'd run it off. Managed to get in with physio tomorrow afternoon.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    I hope Boston doesn't get cancelled but I can't see them making a decision until closer to the day.  Manchester is the one to keep an eye on as far the UK is concerned.

Shame about the shoelace Stevie but an excellent time non the less.

Good work at Knighton DT - a good pace in what was not ideal conditions.  Hope the physio can sort out the back.

A good interval session Gul.  I generally do 6 sets of 1K or more for all the proscribed P&D interval sessions on the basis that there's not much of VO2max stimulus for shorter intervals.

Sounds like good progress on the injury G-D.  I missed Surrey HM this year as well!

Excellent pace on those final kilometers of the training 10K Gerrard.  Hope the niggles go away.

Interval session mid-day.  Six sets of 1K with 500m jog recoveries.  Splits of 3:43, 3:43, 3:43, 3:43, 3:40 and 3:40 with HR peaking at 178 on the final two reps.  4K w/u and w/d to give 10.5 miles for the day.  A good session to get under the belt.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    DT hope the physio can sort you out quickly
    SBD nice speedy reps 

Club session :smile:
    12/11 then 10 mins continuous with hard effort up the hills focusing on form  and easy down again with 3 mins rest between sets. First set was up and down to far marker (250m), then second to middle, 3rd to bottom marker. Paces varied a lot as fatigue from coming of nights plus a session on Sunday took it toll and I was well back from the front today lol . 9 miles in total.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - sounds like you are making progress. Hope you can find some focus.
    OO - maybe it's just the thought of my first race in 10 months, but no issue finding motivation/focus here.
    Stevie - not surprised your legs are sore after Sunday.
    GM - wow, that's some training run. 
    Leslie - good session on tired legs 
    DT - hope your back is better soon.
    SBD - great intervals.
    Race information for Sunday is out along with list of runners. I see Jedward is running. A small field and weather is not looking great but manageable at the moment.
    5 mile recovery run this morning.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Stevie - excellent result; no matter if you were 7x or 8x; it's a great time. I'm also going for Autumn Half with the optimistic aim of sub-80; so i'll meet you in the 7x club eventually!
    SBD - got the same 6x1K session on Thursday, it's a really good test. Nice rep times there.
    DT - hope the soreness goes away soon.
    Gerard - did you jump on a bike for the last few miles? That's rapid

Rested monday, and was worried about pain behind the knee, thought fast downhill running in the 21 miler Sunday may have tweaked something but got out for an easy 8 last night and once loosened off was fine so false alarm thankfully. Now if everyone could stop scaring me with Boston Marathon cancellation fears....
    (made sure to renew my travel insurance with event cover just in case) 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ended up phoning in sick today. Am a little viral also, with burning throat and uncontrollably tired. Was asleep by 9 last night. Felt rotten first thing and back was really sore so didnt want a day sat at desk. First sick day since joining 50 months ago so don't feel too guilty. Feel quite a bit better now. 

Went to physio, couldnt find anything in si joint or any of vertebrae and considers it's an issue with my QL muscle which was very tight. He thinks anything between 2-5 days which i can live with. Not ideal to miss a 20 but plenty of time left to claw it back. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope Boston goes ahead, Nicko. WHO have said we're in full pandemic mode now, so I can see more marathons being canned including London and Boston.

New York half marathon was binned yesterday, was due to happen this weekend.

Got home early so got out in the light for a nice change. Supposed to do 7 steady but gambled on 8 steady to strong. All went well and averaged 7,03 for the trip.

Felt strong after the first couple of miles and just kept going. Will do as the Fizz says and run alternate days with strength work in-between. 
    Very demotivated to go at first what with the VLM cancellation potential but ended up as a good confidence booster.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Keep the faith G-D.

Where did the sickness come from DT (are you sure you should't be self-isolating ...)?  A few days rest won't do you any harm - did the back problem happen at Knighton?

Good news on the knee front nicko. Enjoy the 1K reps.

Nice recovery miles Gul.  I'm sure Jedward don't have your metronomic pacing ability - so let them shoot off at the start and gradually reel them in.

Sounds like a hard club session Leslie but those are the ones that you benefit from.

Almost 12degC here mid-afternoon and no rain.  It it too early to start the sauna training for London?

15 miles MLR completed.  A bit of a sluggish start but I've decided it's time to start pushing the pace at the end of the MLRs and LSRs, so last 5 miles at 6:50 pace to give an average of 7:33 for the run. 

Hopefully Bath goes ahead as planned on Sunday.  A little less wind would be nice but there should be plenty of shelter.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    gdawg, just blank the speculation and plough on.

SBD, my wife was exactly the same for 48 hours over the weekend and my daughter has come home tonight with a creaky voice. im working on basis that there are currently no reported cases in Worcestershire, i dont use public transport ever and ive only had a dry/hot throat and fatugue straight after a 20m race. A fairly usual winter bug which 99% of those tested for coronavirus have been found to have.

Lower back has been twinging for a few weeks so i suspect the 20 pushed it a bit too far, followed by a 10m plod being the final straw. 

Nice mlr work. Looking at what's left timewise i doubt mine will get beyond 12m. 

Is Bath an all out effort? 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care DT, hopefully just a minor blip. 
    The US flight restrictions are going to cause chaos for Boston. I suppose most Euro runners will have to cancel. Leaving out the UK seems fairly illogical to me.
    Nice confidence booster GDawg, hope there are no after effects.
    GP went well the other night and I'm debating whether to do a local 5k today as winds are strong.