Wednesday, 11th March 2020 - I saw the sign on a pick-up truck

Morning all

Lyrics: I saw the sign on a pick-up truck

Still very windy today :(

Hoping to get some more hills in :)

Laters 🙋‍♀️

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Is Anybody Out There by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Hope the weather calms down and you can get back in the water OH.

How are you and Lucas emzap?

Enjoy the hills chicksta. Wind is forecast to pick up here too but hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

What:          hoping the knee will allow some easy miles
    Why:           I'm still training for a marathon
    Last hard:   not being able to run as much as usual
    Last rest:    6/3

Lyrics - familiar but can't name that tune.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: familiar here, also

Hope you got the hills in, Chick!

And hope you get the easy miles in LMH!

Concentrate on the league, Wabo?

Lucas update please!

What: something at some stage

Why: what we do. Yesterday's run was a struggle: legs didn't want to work, not helped by a gale force wind. The stretch session wasn't the best either: back niggling again. The slightest bit of gardening, for example, seems to set it off, yet I probably need to do such normal activity to strengthen the muscles. Finding it a difficult balance. Onwards and upwards!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Ale - very frustrating but hope you get something done
    LmH - you & me both re "training for a marathon"
    What - hopefully a lunchtime run
    Why - mileage
    last rest - 17/10
    last hard - yesterday, 5x600s at ~5k pace (2.23 avg), just over 9 miles in total

Covid update: our compnay is splitting some areas and using the disaster recoverey staff. Our buiding has now allocated a lift for each floor rather than a free for all and they have banned using the showers with immediate effect. If I do run at lunchtime, I'd not want to sit next to me this afternoon....
  • "Interesting" banning showers??

Surgery this morning, track this evening
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can't understand the logic of banning showers! Surely to be encouraged!
    Hope you get your run in, Dustin! And enjoy the track, OH!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Some wind to be expected here too.  I would pick hills with a tailwind Chicksta. "Loving" the current mess of event cancellations in Germany - in Bremen cancellation of events with more than 1000 participants by the authorities but everything is still supposed to go ahead in Hamburg??  Marathon is now holding out for cancellation by the authorities by the sounds of it so they don't end up sitting on the costs - insurance would pay otherwise.  What about our costs if the cancellation comes last minute???  And they have our registration fees anyway (non-refundable according to Ts&Cs).

Just listening to yesterday's lyrics LMH.  Didn't know that one.  Fingers crossed for the knee.

Hopefully emzap and Lucas are getting some rest at home by now.

Get a goat for the gardening Ale.  My neighbour/landlady has two I could send you.

Might do that session later/tomorrow Dustin - just a bit slower, nice pace from you.  The alternative is the dreaded 7m LT tomorrow. Certainly odd behaviour regarding the showers.

Enjoy track this evening OH.  How much are you affected workwise so far? 

What: not sure yet - probably an MLR
    Why: mileage maintenance
    Last easy:  buying loo rolls - would have been at least - big stack of xxxl packs (around 40 rolls I think) in front of the local supermarket (could buy the lot and make a killing somewhere?  10 quid per roll maybe?)
    Last hard:  buying bananas (only 3 left - it was about 5 mins before closing time though)
    Last rest: 09.03.

Lyrics: no
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    alehouse concentrate on not going down to the bottom of the league I think!!
    chick  and OH thats odd you both got migraines same day as my dil!
    hazel, enjoy the mlr, my who gives a carp come today so I will be ok for loo rolls!!
    dustin, oh what a pain about the showers!! But you know we have a guy here who regularly runs in the morning, he doesn't shower... nobody goes near him!
    alehouse I hope your something is better than yesterday then.  My run last night was like running through treacle so I hope so too
    lmh hope your knees are kind!!
    chick enjoy the hills
    what: tiny run this am, more this evening with my mate
    why: double
    last hard:  last night really was
    last rest: 31/12/16
    have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    wabo: Even more odd as we're in 3 different countries - Scotland, England, Germany ... well done for battling through that hard run last night. 

Dustin: nice pacy 600s. Why would they ban showers??? Surely that's counterproductive to hygiene? Having said that we no longer get fresh fruit delivered to our work pantries for fear it may carry germs. Just now when vitamins would come in handy. Oh well, have to bring my own fruit then.

Hazel: oh gawd, the dreaded 7 @ LT. Good luck with those ...  Agree, it's quite strange that things are handled so differently from place to place. This is really something that should be decided in Berlin and then be binding for the whole country. 
    Sadly the best hill I have around here runs from east to west so no chance to escape the wind. 

Em: I hope you're all on the mend now.

LMH: what did the knees say?

Ale: yeah, that wind is a real pest. Hopy your legs were better today.

What: 12 miles of hills
    Why: hills are our friends
    Last hard: struggling uphill into the wind
    Last rest: Monday

As for lyrics: They may sound familiar because I've used them before :)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Sounds like a tough run, Chick! I listened to the wind, so...

What: 8.21k on a-g treadmill in just under 30 minutes. warm up then 3 x 4 mins with 2 mins recovery @90% bodyweight. Pace per mile: 5:00, 5:00, 4:57, and between 6 and 6:15 for the recoveries.

Why: I have a block of sessions paid for which I can use pretty well anytime; given the wind and the need for something harder I phoned up and a couple of hours later the session was over! It was a little embarrassing as it was in the physios gym at the hospital: me on my treadmill and about 20 physios having in-service training! 
  • But you've been training really well and consistently Dustin.

No government action at all here still Hazel so everything is going ahead unless the organisers take the hit.

My knees allowed a run but I had a shocker. I don't think I can blame the wind though it was stronger than forecast and building as I ran. I was slow to start with and it got worse. It took just about all my willpower to stick it out and get a LSR in. I felt I had to whilst the knees were playing. I'd run a whole 9 miles this week until today - my legs should have been fresh!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Afternoon again!

Hazel, I'm sorry but I heard Hamburg is off (message from a friend, not that I can see it on the website! Hope that information is wrong.) And Vienna, similarly. 

These runs sometimes happen, LMH! All you can do is put it out of your mind and move on. I could barely run yesterday and kept stopping to stretch; today was a totally different story. A couple of easy runs before Ashby on Sunday? If it happens, that is.
  • I'll be very surprised if my knees allow a run tomorrow Alehouse though I live in hope. Ashby will be on unless the government actually decide to do something.
  • Yep, been following it closely. Official statement is that they are looking for an alternative date. To be honest I'm relieved. Much better scenario for me than a last minute cancellation and all the worry that that might happen.  I've lost my train tickets and potentially the entry fee but no accomodation costs.  I'll reduce training a bit this week and see how I feel after that. Not much point in planing much at the moment. I am signed up at the beginning of June for an ultra.  Maybe.. It is at least local. Otherwise I don't see racing happening for weeks here.

MLR turned into a gentle 6 mile recovery, enjoyed the lovely evening. Hope Wabo gets similar.

Well done on the hills Chicksta.

Were those mile or km paces Ale.. ? If the former how can you get your feet to keep up?

I think I would book that under at least your knees let you do it LMH.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Sorry to hear that my information may be correct, Hazel. And yes, they are miles paces. I don't seem to have a problem with the legs keeping up on the a-g. I think I probably set it on a light % bodyweight and run at sub 4 minute mile pace! Must try it when there isn't a crowd of physios watching out of the corner of their eyes!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Home yesterday evening. Had a good night's sleep but I am feeling really really tired and overwhelmed today. Tonsillitis that started before we went into hospital seems to be peaking again too. So all in all not feeling good (I find my tonsillitis often recurs if I'm run down). Lucas also refusing to take his meds so I have a battle with him 10x a day as that's how often I have to give them to him.  We are not friends at the moment :lol:

Early night to try and sort me out.

I agree lmh government seems very relaxed...(though don't think panicking is a good idea but sensible response based on scientific advice - obviously as a healthcare scientist I think this is sensible :joy:)

Dustin banning showers, how odd

Sorry to hear Hamburg is cancelled

Wabo wish we had grandparents like you! Ours are great but just not able to do childcare.

Have a lovely evening all
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening again!

Glad you are home Emz! Naughty Lucas!
    Shame his grandparents are so far away! You need a thread rota to look after him! And get yourself well!