Friday 12th March 2020 - That's great! It starts with an earthquake,

Morning.

Lyrics - That's great! It starts with an earthquake,

Good to hear that you're home emzap, sorry to hear about the ongoing illness. I'm not surprised your tonsillitis is flaring up when you're tired and rundown. That sounds tough with Lucas too. Can't do much other than let you know that you're in my thoughts.

Hazel - at least you know now and can plan accordingly. Strange times we're living in.

I bet you enjoyed that apart from the audience Alehouse.

Have to laugh how Trump has gone from 'it's just like the flu' to banning international flights..........or I would if it wasn't so scary that he's in charge of the USA!

Wondering if we'll get further measures introduced any time soon?

My knee doesn't feel too bad this morning but I haven't asked much of it yet. We had a very windy night, calmer now but due to pick up again shortly. I shall probably just walk even if the knee doesn't feel too bad as if Ashby is on I do want to run it.

What:            probably nothing
Why:             see above
Last hard:     yesterday's run
Last rest:      10/3
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: short run/long fitness suite

Why: Thursday

Wondering how long it is before gyms, leisure centres etc are closed.

The landlord of my local is in Austria for the United game which is being played behind closed doors this evening, so he will no doubt watch it in a crowded bar. Not sure whether it is safer to be in a crowd in the open or inside. Better suspending all major sports competitions probably, sadly.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Good news from emzap. Lucas - behave and let your mum recover too.

I feel much more relaxed now LMH.  Sympathies that the UK is likely to go through the uncertainty for some time yet.  Good idea to save yourself for Ashby.

Enjoy the gym whilst you can Ale. 

Have a good day all.

What: MLR
    Why: lazy yesterday
    Last rest 09.03.

Lyrics: no
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Highland Fling (Ultra) cancelled yesterday.
    ITU places being prioritised for those most likely to survive in Italy.
    Uncertain times ahead ...

Hope to complete Polar Bear Challenge today. Sun is shining and wind has dropped.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    emzap, poor you and lucas - hope these days pass and things get easier soon!!
    lmh it is all very strange and a bit worrying.  Take care today
    alehouse make the most of the gym, enjoy today 
    hazel nice running, yes my run was good with company because it was windy and cold and we both felt a bit weary!!
    oh that ITU scenario sounds  awful.  Good luck with the PB Challenge

What: short run and tai chi (3rd day of doing) another run later
    why: I need to loosen and lose weight ha ha
    last hard: this am, blooming cold hands
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    What a relief, Hazel. I keep prowling the web for hints regarding South Africa. I see that Lesotho have shut their borders and wouldn't be surprised for the South Africans to follow suit. After all they have a massive HIV epidemic, so lots of people with weak immune systems and I'm not sure their health system can cope. In my mind I've written off Two Oceans. If it goes ahead, I'd be thrilled but if it gets cancelled I'm not too despondent. 

Perhaps you can still get the train tickets refunded. At least Deutsche Bahn are pretty accommodating even with early bird super saver tickets. 

Oh dear, em. Ten times a day is loads. Hope things do settle for you.

OH: Enjoy the final swims of your polar bear challenge

Nice little tai chi streak, wabo. My new king of pain is into tai chi. Shame there are no classes in my gym. 

What: nothing yet, maybe gym later
    Why: bad night's sleep. We have another freak storm. It was battering our house all night and it's too treacherous to try and run outside.
    Last hard: sleeping
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: yes

Yesterday's were Early morning wake-up call, Flash and the Pan 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    By the way: Today is Thursday :)
  • It was very windy here overnight too chicksta - we had to tape down the letterbox again. Not too bad out this morning though gusting 45mph at worst according to the Met Office. I'm afraid that with the numbers with compromised immune systems and unsanitary living conditions plus the lack of available health care SA is going to be hit badly. My physio is due to get married there (she's South African) over the Easter weekend :-(

Hazel - I would very much like to know that things are cancelled. I think something along the lines of banning mass participation events as a starter followed by closing colleges/universities then inevitably schools over a period of a few weeks would be a sensible course of action. Rest up and regroup, this is a stressful time for us all.

It's a dire situation OH - any cases reported on Orkney yet? Enjoy your swim.

I could definitely do with some loosening up too Wabo and the weight thing won't be long if I keep using my usual distraction activity of baking. LOL. I've been sending stuff in to Mark's work but it's looking as though that will be less of an option soon.

I'm not sure about gym's etc closing unless we go into a lock down situation Alehouse - they don't usually have that many people in at once. How does everything feel after yesterday's a-g run?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Oh I wish it was Friday....
    Emz - glad your home
    LMH - consistent perhaps but no mileage really (2 runs over 15 miles this year)
    Hazel - so mixed blessings with Hamburg then, I'm kinda hoping London is rescheduled...
    There is a COBRA meeting today so I'd expect many events to be cancelled, and certainly expect professional football to continue behind closed doors for the forseeable...
    For the race my club hold (end of June) we are already advertising there will be deferrals to the rescheduled or 2021 race, or allow transfers. Hopefully It's all done by then....

What - lunchtime run
    Why - mileage
    last rest - 17/02
    last hard - Tuesday

• Dustin - reading the speculation on the BBC website I'm increasingly less sure that the decision to ban mass participation events will be taken today and possibly not for a couple of weeks - depending on the number of new cases identified of course.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again! 

I understand schools were contacted yesterday evening and told them to prepare home learning packs for the period up to Easter. Packs to be ready by tomorrow with the view to closing schools some time next week. 

Not sure about the legs yet, LMH! They are up to working in the garden though. Extremely windy and my plastic greenhouse has been blown from one end to the other. Am currently trying to partially bury it!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Lol - LMH were you trying to avoid Friday the 13th..? 
  • Wishful thinking..............
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Flying visit to say hello - been very busy recently, no running for several days unfortunately and my half marathon due this Saturday has just been postponed until June.

Hope everyone is avoiding the plague 

Lyrics yes
  • I just hope our government takes similar action today chamolk - better to know sooner rather than later. Hope it's not work that's keeping you so busy?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    oh LMH  I didnt mean events would cancel today, just that the cobra may offer more guidelines and processes that will lead down that road.
    5 miles , middle 3 at threshold. Avoided the hail shower
    Possibility they may get us all to wfh from next week....
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

What: short run d&d. Struggled.

Why: battered by the gales, plus legs feel battered after yesterday's exertions.
    Fitness suite this evening.

All schools and colleges closed in the Irish Republic until March 27th.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Meeting happening currently expecting to announce moving from condiment to delay phase - I suspect that'll be the end of the London marathon in April.

Just had another half in May cancelled 
  • But the speculation in the media is that the delay phase will be implemented in stages chamolk - so there might not be a decision about London for a while yet. Big rise in cases today.
  • Well I'm dumbfounded - the action from the government is no action.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Lmh we also are astonished. Though they make a point that people will get complacent if drastic measures are brought in too early. However, they didn't need to do nothing...

What: walk to doctor to get tonsils checked
    Why: suspected viral tonsillitis. Rest prescribed. Impossible with a small Lucas.
    Last hard: swallowing, resting, getting meds into Lucas
    Lyrics: nope

In the words of Boris, "keep safe all and wash your hands"
  • So sorry to hear that you now have the viral tonsillitis to deal with emzap. Are none of the grandparents able to come and offer some respite for a couple of days?
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately my dad's not up to looking after him alone and he's the only one close by. Oh starting to wfh more to avoid train rush hour so will get some help from there at least.  Fingers crossed it'll clear up in a couple of days