Friday 13th March 2020 - All around me are familiar faces

Morning.

Lyrics - All around me are familiar faces

I hope having Mr emzap at home enables you to get some rest emzap.

What:            short and easy
Why:             I want the knees to behave on Sunday
Last hard:     making sense of the government's response
Last rest:      12/3

Yesterday's lyrics - It's The End Of The World As We Know IT - R.E.M.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: yes (well I know the song but can't remember who did it)

What: short run

Why: easy day

I do hope that the people advising the government have got their model right. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Lyric - yes. It is. 
    What - easy lunchtime
    Why - knee a bit niggly again, and hope to go long tomorrow
    last rest - 17/02
    last hard - yesterdays 3 tempo was a bit on the uncomfortable side

trains deserted, office deserted and already shaping up to be another bouncy day in the world of finance...
  • Alehouse - me too. It's worrying that just about everyone else seems to think that banning mass participation events is a good idea.

Interesting that the trains are quiet Dustin - lots of firms telling people to wfh even though government advice hasn't changed? Careful with that knee.
  • Morning.

Strange behaviour by the UK govt indeed.  We are expecting further restrictions here and certainly an extension of the event ban for more than 1000 people beyond 15.03. That is the national rule though and the individual states mostly have much stricter rules (I think they need individual approval for more than 150 here in Berne).

Have nice shortie runs Ale and LMH.

Be careful with the knee Dustin.  I would say enjoy the peace and quiet but if you work in finance I guess it isn't exactly fun at the moment.

Hope you are feeling better today emzap.

What: whatever I feel like - maybe some shorter speedwork
    Why: so the legs don't forget how to run fast
    Last rest: 09.03.

Lyrics: familiar
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    lyrics yes
    lmh hope them knees are being good!
    Hazel enjoy the speed stuff!
    dustin watch the knee, roads eerily quiet again today
    alehouse, enjoy your short run, I am wondering will I be going spurs sunday???
    emzap I hope you feel better real soon

what: 2 miles am
    why: ballerina has an exam later and then I am going to eat with my girls
    last hard:  last night
    last rest:31/12/16
    have a great weekend all, I will park run, I might race, I may go spurs, I will bake!!! 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Yes to lyrics and yes indeed ... All parkruns outside the UK are cancelled. WTF? Average participation at our parkrun is 50 people :D 

Not good news, em. But having Mr. em at home should help you rest a bit I hope. 

Our London office just shut down because one guy tested positive. I'm on hols next week in the mountains and wouldn't be surprised if I came home to a closed Hamburg office ...  Gym was deserted this morning. Quite spooky. Public life is grinding to a halt with concert halls and theatres being closed now as well. All football matches are suspended too. Just waiting for news from South Africa - still looks like everything is going to go ahead at this stage. I wouldn't be surprised if the Germans decided to close all airports for the foreseeable future though. 

LMH: I hope your physio's wedding can go ahead.

Busy weekend, wabo! Good luck to the little ballerina :) 

What: 10 mile progression run on the TM
    Why: it was that or face another storm and be pelted with sleet
    Last hard: staying motivated to train on
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: of course
  • I think it must feel quite nice to have the pressure removed and just run as you feel for a while Hazel? I'm looking forward to a period of the same after London or when it's cancelled. Hope you've enjoyed whatever you decided to do.

That sounds like a lovely evening to look forward to Wabo. What are you planning to bake?

A very short run for me and the first mile was dire, I thought I was in for a repeat of Wednesday but fortunately my legs woke up and joined in, they really don't respond well to rest but it's what the knees need.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Was going to post the same clip, OH!

And was thinking of you earlier! I am putting on a dinner for 75 people tomorrow night (Uni cross country club, 95th Anniversary dinner). Have taken advice from a couple of medics, including my former GB team doctor friend. No reason not to continue, and I am reassured that there will be half a dozen medics who are quite happy to attend. 

And you won't be going to the Lane for a good while, Wabo...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning,

I think I missed yesterday but 6 miles run.

What: 7.2 miles
    Why: because I can
    Last hard:The world around me!!
    Lyrics: Yes

Crazy crazy world and the selfishness of people! stock piling so no one can access what they need!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    No run since Monday unfortunately - 60 miles last week, 4 this week - combination of busy at home and work. Have 5 night shifts coming up too, so not going to ease much unfortunately for a while .

Lyrics no
  • Ashby cancelled.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's a pain, LMH, but not a surprise. 
  • I think it's the right decision Alehouse but I'm sorry that they had to make it for themselves and that some disaffected runners are questioning it on FB.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that LMH. If it's any consolation, a low key 20(ish) miler that I wanted to do as my last long run for Two Oceans on March 29 also just bit the dust falling under the events ban. Their license just got revoked. Sigh.
  • Rumours emerging that London is going to be postponed - hope they make the decision soon.

Sorry about your race chicksta.
  • Bad luck Chicksta and LMH. 

Another cancelled race for me (localish 15k next weekend).  Was expected though.  It took about 30 seconds for the announcement to come through per SMS after the govt press conference.  We are now down to public and private events with more than 100 people banned until the end of April (national rule, regional rules can be and are in some places stricter).  Bars, restaurants, clubs etc. no more than 50 people at one time...  Schools are all closed.   I can consider myself lucky as I'm not affected.   Can still put on my shoes and go out there.
  • Sounds as though things are getting worse for you quite quickly Hazel.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    London postponed until October 4th
  • Which very fortunately for me is the weekend before we go away on holiday. Phew. Assuming the world is back to normal by then of course........... Does the new date work for you chamolk?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Disappointing but no surprise, Chamolk.

My oldest guest for tomorrow has just cried off. No surprise there given that he is 90. His family, probably quite rightly, are keeping he and his wife in isolation. He was a GP and also the doctor for major events like the national cross country: he is keen for our event to go ahead but says he may well have taken a different view if it were in a couple of weeks. And he has sent a speech about running in the 1950s which I will probably have the pleasure of reading. 
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Not sure yet LMH. Had half marathons planned for 4th and 11oct, the Dublin marathon 25th. Now I've also got paris on 18th and London on 4th. Plus a half in May that is being deferred to an unknown date in October. Busy month. 

They're also allowing deferrals, so I might just do London in April

No surprise, ale, you're right - they couldn't really not call it off.

I'd say your guest tomorrow is quite wise to cancel 
  • A deferral could be a good option chamolk.

I hope your event is a success and that people enjoy themselves Alehouse - I expect it could be the last time for a while. I think we're in for some very difficult times.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Lmh baking some cakes, vegan recipes. Not telling the work people they're vegan
    Two guys at work are vegan so I thought why not. For my birthday next Tuesday.
    Lots of things being cancelled.  Cleo thinks exam went well.
    Their dance coming festival in 2 weeks may not happen now though
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can