Saturday, 14th March 2020 - There's silence over the city but it's so noisy

Morning all

Perfect timing for you and London, LMH. Rest you knees and then hopefully you can start a good summer campaign 🤞🤞🤞

Yikes, chamolk, that's a few races too many. Deferring London sounds sensible.

Hope the event goes well, ale.

I'm still in limbo regarding South Africa. So I shall carry on training as normal. Which means one more long run today and then a recovery week. Actually, this week would have been recovery but we're off to the mountains for a week and I'd rather not run so much on hols. Will take the opportunity to get a couple of mean hills (power hiking) under my belt though. And I shall try not to come off my MTB this time :D

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Mad World - Tears For Fears.

It's the only thing you can do chicksta. Enjoy your week away.

Wabo - I often bake double 'whammy' gluten free and vegan cakes and no one seems to mind! I'm not as keen on buttercream made with vegan spreads but I haven't tried with vegan butter. I'm sure your cakes will go down well at work. Have you tried the Anita Bean brownies yet? A shame but yes, likely that the dance show will be cancelled. 

My knee is not happy this morning despite yesterday's shorter than a short thing run and my back is tweaky - Mark says it's all letting go now that I know I don't need to try to hold it together for London! I shall have to try to work out a combination of recovery and running that will keep me sane through the difficult days ahead.

What:         it may just be a walk
    Why:          see above
    Last hard:  not knowing how the world will change over the next few weeks
    Last rest:   12/3

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Chick have fun and most definitely do not come off the bike!!
    Lmh I'm off to look up that Brownie recipe. I don't like them but the work people will!  Enjoy your walk. It's horrible about London but it may well work out better for you as chick says
    What park run mate's 150, Tai chi take cakes
    Why for my b day and my mate
    Last hard yesterday am
    Last rest 31/12/16
    If I'm up to it in going to do a memorial 10k later at a local running club
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Enjoy parkrun Wabo, and the 10k if you do it. 

What: some running as part of the uni past v present at lunchtime

Why: tradition

Just editing a speech from my 90 year old friend: he starts, "History goes round in circles. As part of my National Service I spent 1949-50 in Hong Kong as a nursing orderly as the War Office thought I should go there to halt the advancing forces of Chairman Mao. Everyone wore face masks because TB was rife in the colony. We survived."
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Such a perfect morning ... Slight covering of frost and no wind. Shame my body wasn't up to a proper long run - I had to cut it at 16.5 miles due to various niggles but it was enjoyable all the same.

Mark has a point, LMH.

Happy parkrunning, wabo. Shame ours are all cancelled.

Here are some pics - One with the moon and the other with the sun

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Ok, the moon is rather small :D
  • Your parkruns are all cancelled chicksta? Your run looks beautiful.

October will hopefully be better for me Wabo. I think your work mates will appreciate the brownies.

Indeed Alehouse - it all goes round in circles.

Just back from doing my weekly shop and it was awful - much busier than usual with people being quite er, forceful, in getting to the things they wanted and shelves empty of pasta, pasta sauce, flour, rice, tinned veg, tinned meat etc. Made me feel so upset to see how people are behaving, don't they realise they are just making it worse for everyone? I put a couple of things in the food bank trolley which was looking rather empty, people are obviously just thinking of themselves. Would like to go for a run but knee isn't feeling good and it would be silly in the circumstances so I shall have a coffee and then take myself out for a walk.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Yep, all parkruns in Germany are off for the foreseeable future.

Shopping is a nightmare at the moment. I had a similar experience to yours yesterday. Just mad.
  • Slow windy parkrun
    It's Saturday
    Last hard: yesterday's run
    Lyrics no

Coniston 14 now postponed to September (understandably)
    Uncertain whether to continue with planned week's break in Keswick ( no refund available at this stage)

Uncertains too over eldest daughter's wedding on 10th - 2 of her siblings may be in imposed lockdown in Switzerland and Sweden.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: day out of fun
    Why: 2nd hand sale for Lucas clothes then to Elgar's birthplace. Meant to be meeting friends but he has cough and temp so stayed away. Lucas 6 months today
    Last hard: bad night's sleep
    Lyrics: knew yesterday

Feeling a bit better though knackered.

Glad London postponed. Think people are so selfish stocking up on way more things than they need for 2 weeks.  How much loo roll can one get through!

Hope knee is feeling better lmh and dinner goes well ale.
  • Glad to hear that you are feeling well enough to go out emzap.

OH - sorry to hear about the possible disruption to the wedding plans, such a lot of thought and effort goes in to the day. When are you due to head to Keswick?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

You sound more upbeat,Emz! And congratulations on being a half year old Lucas! How long is it before you return to work? 

OH: very much what LMH wrote. And another parkrun notched up! Wishing I had perhaps plodded round one this morning.

Decent run, Chick!

What: first lap of the uni past v present race

Why: had decided not to do even that as legs are jellified! However (another) M74 friend wanted me to run the first lap with him otherwise he feared getting lost. To his credit he did all three laps and is the oldest person to ever do all three laps of this race. Quite heavy going and my breathing was terrible. 

A few more have cancelled for this evening: an 84 year old (understandable), a 72 year old with a heart condition (understandable) and a guy my age whose wife is currently undergoing chemotherapy (ditto). The 90 year old sent a whole suitcase of memorabilia by first class post! Some fascinating stuff that I spent an hour glancing through this morning.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Happy happy
    Park run 29.30 then the 10k I just dipped under the hour!! Worked hard for that and kept an eye on my pace for each k. 
    Tired now.
    The shopping sounds just horrific. I will not be going to any big supermarkets!!! 
    Alehouse good on your mate for doing that! 
    These are worrying times, I know my daughter is worried. Not about loo rolls though!! 
    Emzap hope Lucas is better soon. Xxx
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Oh that's such a shame about your daughter's wedding. My friend has booked to go Sweden, her  son lives there and has non Hodgkins stage 2 so she desperately wants to go!! 
  • That's great Wabo. Sorry to her about your friend. Mark thinks I'm being pessimistic but I feel we are in for some very difficult times.

I hope that the evening is enjoyed by all Alehouse.