Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have heard from 2 sources now 4th oct, both know people at vmlm.

Ashby cancelled I've been told as the medics were pulled away to be in   hospital. Surprised Bath don't have same.

11.36 today WRU e-mail saying game on tomorrow. just after 2pm, it's off.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    sun has just broke the initial news.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Just announced.

DT was right. London off until 4th October...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ok, that will be interesting with Berlin the weekend before.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    So majors go:

Boston 14th Sept
    Berlin 27 Sept
    London 4th Oct
    Chicago 11 Oct
    New York 1st Nov

That's one quick way to get most of your 6 star done.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's quite a collection across 8 consecutive weeks:

9/14 Boston Marathon
    9/20 Brighton Marathon
    9/27 Berlin Marathon
    10/4 London Marathon
    10/11 Chicago Marathon
    10/18 Abingdon Marathon
    10/25 Barcelona Marathon
    11/1 New York City Marathon
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    London-Berlin will be a nice double for me. All I need is Manchester for the triple 🤣
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Evening all, been on the road outside the UK for several weeks and far from the virus (until today when the first person died here) - reading about event cancellations and hoping you are all looking after yourselves and those around you.  So frustrating, but there will be other races. Take care.

Still not running, why is swimming so TEDIOUS!!!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Looking pretty busy in the Autumn - could be a good time to run London but Berlin has to be my priority and based on previous marathons the chance of me running 26.2 miles 7 days after a full on marathon is pretty slim.

Probably clutching at straws to hope Newport will go ahead and I'm not sure I can be bothered with Shakespeare even if it went ahead.  Perhaps Edinburgh will save the day!

12.5 miles progressive run late afternoon, finishing with 1K at 4:00 pace and 1K at 3:50 pace.  Heart rate still very high for the effort but no sign of any illness yet.  Tempted to give Bath a miss but will see how I feel tomorrow.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, are you thinking of the double? London would have to be a 3.30 trudge.

I think what this means with all the big spring maras gone, london gfa times for 2021 will be the times stated as by the time they are run in October gfa applications will be long closed. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I would have thought that gfa times needed for 2021 just got quicker, as autumn marathons 2019 were mostly quick, and there will be no slow mararhons this spring to bring the times back down. The carbon shoes have probably made gfa faster?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes but it's  not about average times its about who has managed to bag one. You have suddenly lost the whole spring schedule which means you only have spring and Autumn times from last year in the mixer. Thats at best 33% but most get their times in the big spring maras so potentially 40% less. 

It's all about who has had the opportunity to run a time, not slow times pulling things back in line. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Understood, but a time from spring 19 and autumn 19 counts? That just drops off 2018 times ? Most marathoners must still have a fast gfa?:time will tell. I see it as a rolling time period. I got quicker since the last gfa application.

Mass events are about to get banned. We'll see if smaller races still go ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes so every spring a number of new runners will achieve their first gfa, more than get added in the Autumn. Also not everyone runs a mara every year and perhaps skipped last year and whilst a comfortable 2.50 guy, they were banking on running Manchester to gfa for London 21. That chunk of people are out of the mix. It'll have a bigger impact than when london was too hot to run fast in 2018 so gfa times remained at entry level for 2019. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - fair enough, time will tell.

Im not running my half on sunday, im not comfotable with a 3000 runners race going on, and being a possible spreader, theres folks in my immediate family that would be in grave danger if they catch it.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It's a bit far away but yes I'll plan to do both London and Berlin. I've done Paris-London a week apart before.
     Manchester is the biggest regret for me as my whole family trained for it. My poor wife ran 20 miles last Sunday, the furthest in her life.
    Nice to hear from you Poacher.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Poor Mrs OO, that's unlucky. 

I checked the GFA times and criteria earlier this week. 3.01 should see me OK for 2021. Will need a GFA in October to carry the trend forward. 

Extraordinary day.

Good luck to DT and others negotiating back to back attempts.  In 2017 I had Boston on Monday but after running it in a heatwave, I deferred London the following Sunday. Just as well, a 5k recovery that day showed my legs were still mashed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    GFA for 2021 might not now be done until after vlm 2020 and autumn 2020 might be quick with potentially cooler days and faster races.......just saying.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    TR, yes i did wonder whether they might decide to sort 2021 gfa in November perhaps. There's no reason why not as far as i can see. Then, as you say, all the big races run in cool Autumnal weather will send them down further. 

Huge shame for your wife, oo.

I see Fleet has cancelled but Bath is hanging in there resolutely  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - probably fair to leave 2021 gfa until after 2020 is run.

Yes Fleet is off now, they were getting pressured, id decided i was going to miss it, as i felt more comfortable misding it than running it. We'll see re smaller races in the coming weeks and months.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ive got rd relays next weekend. They are on at the moment. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    18:11 at a breezy parkrun this morning. I guess I'll be focusing on the shorter stuff now the marathons are out of the planning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoyed that, oo. Suspect that'll be the last parkrun weekend in a while.

Stratford have just cancelled their half and mara. only Newport stands i believe. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    North Dorset is stiil on. They have a 400 limit and say they will try to put the race on or defer to a new date.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    37 new messages. Is something going on?!
    Long Sutton still on tomorrow. Only 96 runners (plus 100 odd in 10k race). 
    Take care everyone. Hope you're not too disappointed. It's only running I guess.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Just found email from VLM in spam folder ;)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Unfortunately couldn't make.parkrun this morning as had a delivery expected; apparently turnout at eastville was down a little but not too bad. Did an easy 5k to go and pick up the van this afternoon instead.

Bath currently going ahead but a LOT of backlash for the decision to carry on. It'll be a weird one for sure as many people are dropping out, spectators will be much less than usual and there could even be some anti-supporters from the community making their voices heard (probably from a distance).

And it's going to rain. I'm still running it but not sure if I'll stick to my long run plan or race it now. I pulled my Newport place and got a refund in anticipation of them postponing it; as if they do I'll be back onto Boston at that time; if they don't I can just re-enter.

EDIT - just after I posted this, Newport announced postponement. Maybe tomorrow is a race day after all.

Great parkrun time OO
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Newport 25th October now. I'd race my arse off tomorrow as it might be a while before you can again. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Nicko - have a blast.
    Update from Long Sutton. No indoor facilities now. No starting pens/funnel but rolling start instead. Leave as soon as you can after finishing. Chip timing for positions. More of a time trial than a race!
    Oh and high winds and rain :)
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've ditched Bath. Feeling pretty flat with Cancelled Marathon Blues and I know I wouldn't put myself in the hurt box today. Best of luck to those racing.