London 2020

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Manchester's off
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Brighton gone too...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Manchester and Brighton are postponed not cancelled.
  • i've entered a 250 max participant marathon event on the original London date to honour those who have sponsored me - takes the pressure off me over the summer and i can enjoy London more in October. Also means training is still on schedule. 
  • Our running club organises races with a 299 limit - it prevents the AG (Stop Anything Group - or Safety Advisory Group) of the local authority interfering as they only get involved with activities races that have 300 or more runners. The under 300 participants also gives us cheaper Liability Insurance premiums.
    Our next race (on 29 March) has 50 runners.
    We are planning on additional races to cater for those wanting to maintain their fitness for the postponed races.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good shout, Portlanders.

I've e mailed the organisers of a small local one to gauge their sutuation.

im concerned that losing my spring mara, Berlin becomes an all or nothing scenario for my sub 2.55 target. 
  • Another bonus for me is the hotel room i booked for London was a saver-rate, i.e no cancellation or amendment, but they've kindly moved my booking to the new date without charge. 
    I've come out of this very lightly, and if anything i've actually gained - apart from October where i'll be running London and the following week Oxford HM... but i can use that as a leg loosener, as long as i still get sub 2. lol 

What's your schedule now looking like DT19? 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Portlanders, what hotel chain were you? im prem inn and done saver rate for 2 nights but the cost for the new date is double. Might try that approach.  Did you call that hotel or central line? 

So it's Berlin 28/09 then London following weekend then NY 01/11. I casually raised it with the wife expecting to be shot down but she had just assumed that was the plan. As the central london cost was so much we have booked Richmond prem inn. It was £73 but on a cancellable rate so if i can transfer my original booking then i can cancel that. 
  • DT19, I had booked with a small independent (think they may have 2-3 hotels) Royal Park Hotel is where i'm staying. 
    I emailed first and they replied saying i can move the date, but if the new date is cheaper i won't receive the difference, but if the new date is more expensive i would have to pay the difference.... which was more than fair enough to me. 
    So i rang them and they just moved the date and didn't ask for anything extra - email confirmation shows same room rate as original £67.20 a night with breakfast. 

Great safety-net and a very reasonable price, but i think if you phone them they will hopefully be sympathetic and move the date without penalty - I would phone the hotel direct and ask the question as a general query - that way you can pounce if they say yes, or go to central booking if they say no. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Berlin and London within 8 days.... that'll be a tall ask - i'm guessing you'll go for it at Berlin, ease-up, and enjoy the atmosphere of London in preparation for NY? 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Portlanders, i called today and was told that re vmlm i had to e mail in with details and what i was after. 

The room cost for October are much higher than ive paid out so i doubt theyll just switch me over. ive askwd for it or alternatively a premier inn credit for value of my booking to use whenever suits. 

Yes, that's exactly the plan for the Autumn maras now. 
  • DT19, I just spotted this 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Portlanders, thanks for this. Looks like I'll be ok then. Oddly though, if i go into my premier inn login i cant see to do it myself so need them to do it for me. 

i will await their response. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks portlanders, I've got a Premier booked for this coming weekend and my event has been cancelled.   So will try and transfer it if I can find something to transfer it to :/
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    here’s a question for the all seeing oracles, does anyone know wether the lottery for 2021 London Marathon will open after the original start date in April, or, after the October, revised date?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Interesting point. I also question the GFA situation. Basically if they did this at the usual time only those with 2019 gfa's could apply. It would make more sense to let the busy autumn schedule unfold first.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I've just heard back from premier inn. Basically I need to make alternative non-flex bookings that are the same number of nights as my existing booking for any date and location in the uk and send them booking number and they will refund my original booking.

• DT19 said:

I've just heard back from premier inn. Basically I need to make alternative non-flex bookings that are the same number of nights as my existing booking for any date and location in the uk and send them booking number and they will refund my original booking.

That sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through - meanwhile i guess alternative dates are inflated in price. 
    I've heard people getting refunds and booking with Ibis who were cheaper - but they probably had a different type of booking. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well, the london holborn i had paid £230 for 2 nights. One night there now is 215. But all central london is sold out or expensive. Ive booked Richmond for the saturday for £59, stayed there before the night before then booked Heathrow  for night before i fly to new york for 36 so get £130 then refunded. Happy with that. 
  • Glad you got it sorted, one less stress. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, though im seeing my first race cancellations for mid june now, so cant help but wonder....
  • I'm resigning myself to the fact my holiday to Spain, booked for end of June, has a very slim chance of still going ahead. 
  • I see Colchester HM have cancelled and won't be refunding entrants. 
    They will send out medals and tops to everyone who entered when it's safe to do so. 
    No deferrals either, but you can get a £10 discount if you want to enter the 2021 event. 

I understand event organiser would have spent money in advance and to refund people would lose them money, but when some are really struggling financially, with some being laid off, isn't the moral thing to do is to refund? 

My contingency race for the London marathon got cancelled and i got a refund a day later. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's  a tough balance for race organisers as insurance it seems wont cover this and the money is all spent.

I suspect all the t shirts and medals for London were made already and will need to be binned as theyll have the date on. 

Thankfully i have no races entered until Berlin now. 

I have a week in lanzarote  at end of May, that's looking edgy now. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 -one of my postponed races has already had shirts and medals produced and we're all quite happy to have them although the date will be wrong.   A shameful waste to bin them anyway.   What we want is to run the event not be pedantic about what date is on the shirt/medal.

I think London could do the same as at this stage they still don't know if the event will go ahead in October, so may not risk ordering another lot.  
  • Our club will be offering a free entry to our race in December to those who have already entered our 29 March event - even though our later event is dearer to enter.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Shades, without sounding like a twat....people like us wont give a care about the dates but much of the london crowd will want it all nice and precise. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 - I agree, but they need to get a life.    We're supposed to be saving the planet and not creating unnecessary waste.   Just think how much the medals and shirts for London must cost, half a million I would guess at least. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes but in my experience a lot of those that shout loudest about saving the planet actually have an implied caveat to their words along the lines of 'provided it doesn't detriment me'.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    lol agreed DT19.  Folks understand they must currently distance, avoid crowding etc but only if it suits.  It doesn't stop them mobbing together to strip supermarket shelves.  :)    
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, every morning I drive passed morrisons on my way to work at about 8.30. The car park is rammed. Then these people will frown upon you for going to a largely empty pub or restaurant for some food.