Sunday 15th March 2020 My baby makes me proud

Morning, just!

Lyrics: My baby makes me proud
Lord, don't she make me proud

Sadly these lyrics are all too appropriate I believe!

What: will be a short run of some description

Why: struggled Saturday so need to back off a little

A very successful dinner with lots of people who hadn't seen one another since our 50th dinner in 1975! A couple of excellent speakers including John Whetton who some will have heard of: Olympic 1500 final in 1964 and 1968, and European Champion in 1969, plus three European indoor titles. He spoke mostly about his almost daily training with Ron Hill, even though their events (1500 and marathon) were in many ways poles apart. That was our 95th anniversary dinner and a couple of us have started making plans for the 100th!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

I'm glad that a good time was had Alehouse and I hope that many of last night's attendees can make the 100th event.

It is very wet here, this not marathon training is proving easier than I was expecting so far - we will probably go to the gym and then I may try a short run if the weather has improved.

What:          something or nothing
    Why:           strange days
    Last hard:   making sense of people and the world
    Last rest:    14/3

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Oh what a shame about your daughter's wedding. When will they make a decision?

Lmh yes easy to stay inside in this weather.

What: maybe a walk but will have to see
    Why: not feeling the love at the moment
    Last hard: it's been tough for a while
    Lyrics: nope

Just really hoping those with symptoms do self isolate. I've already had a number of people I know being quite blasé and mentioning they may not bother...

Really need to get out in the garden but a little someone and the weather are not helping.

Have a lovely day all
  • It's not gardening weather here emzap! I'm still getting out walking just not as bothered as I usually am about not running, partly because my knee still hurts and it's been a slog all year and partly because of general worries about the situation we're going to find ourselves in soon. Unfortunately as the panic buying has shown some people won't consider the greater good.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Glad the night went well alehouse, enjoy the short run
    Lyrics yes indeed
    Lmh hopefully this gives your knee some respite, enjoy the walking. I'm going to make those brownies, who was the lady again?
    Emzap you've had a run of it all, maybe a walk will make things feel better

What short run
    Why legs feeling yesterday! 
    Last hard yesterday
     last rest 31/12/16
    Yesterday was my forrest Gump day and I forgot until the second race!! 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Last of XC series after church
    Much postponed but going ahead today
    Lots of hard in the world
    Didn't do much after parkrun yesterday
    Lyrics no

Glad your anniversary dinner went ahead successfully AH
  • It's an Anita Bean recipe Wabo but I can't find it online to link to at the minute - I think that Alehouse saved it but if you're stuck let me know and I'll type it up for you.

Hope you have better weather for the xc than we have here OH.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Thanks lmh
    Just back from 2.75 miles the legs needed I think! 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning

Ale Glad dinner was a success  and hopyou all make the 100th event!

What 6.30
    Why: Because in a mad world one thing is certain a runner will run.
    Last hard: World events
    lyrics: Yes

Madness that people would not self isolate what selfishness!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Think this is what you are looking for LMH/Wabo

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Pt7FDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq=anita+bean+black+bean+brownies&source=bl&ots=bi61Sq8CqX&sig=ACfU3U0uG9ru81jEbYAz2yFT5U7PEcTvWQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjwJbM_MHnAhUBRBUIHck9C0cQ6AEwD3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=anita bean black bean brownies&f=false

I never made them as they have got chocolate in. May have time to adapt the recipe over the next few weeks!

Off to the fitness suite plus a short run shortly!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What's the issue with chocolate Alehouse?

I'm not sure how well I'd cope if I was told I couldn't leave the house for seven days or longer if I wasn't feeling quite ill Poppy but I would stay away from other people.
  • Just realised how that might look and want to clarify - I'm talking about if I am supposed to self isolate as a vulnerable person with underlying medical conditions - not if I've been exposed to the virus or have any symptoms which would indicate I might have it.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

I presume that was the correct recipe! Chocolate: gave it up for Lent in 1999. Now can't even stand the smell of it! Makes me feel quite ill!

I'm not entirely sure what self-isolation means in that I can go out of my house onto the river bank for a run and not see a sole, or certainly not be within 2 metres of them for more than a few seconds. It would drive me daft to stay inside for a whole day, never mind the FOUR months that has been mentioned for the over 70s and the most vulnerable! 

Short run was short: legs a little battered, evenly, after yesteday's xc.
  • That's how I feel about it Alehouse - my asthma would technically make me vulnerable but generally I have a robust immune system and if Mark is still going to work it wouldn't be much use unless we somehow avoided each other in the house.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    So Two Oceans has bitten the dust too ...

Just got an e-mail from our trip organisers that it's off and they're offering a full refund.

In a way I'm relieved although it's gutting to have put in 20 weeks of training for basically nothing.  Hey ho, first world problems.

At least we're in the mountains now looking forward to a week of outdoor activities which may not involve any running. My mojo just went down the drain :#
  • Sorry to hear that chicksta but good that you will get your money back and that training is definitely not wasted. Rest, relax and recharge so that you are better prepared to face whatever is ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Chick: exactly what LMH wrote. Enjoy your week.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's lyrics were Weird world, Backstreet Boys

Sounds like a successful event,  ale.

Not having chocolate just isn't right in my book ;)

And well done wabo yesterday

Stay safe, all 🤞

Sending you some rays, LMH

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    That looks photoshopped but I swear it isn't!!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    What ale and lmh said chick. And wow what a sky! Where are you, Bayern?
  • I suffer enough every lent when Elspeth gives up chocolate!

For loyalty and duggedness rather than speed I took home the MV40 trophy for XC series - my first and likely only ever silverware.
    Possibly not many more races for a while.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done OH! You will have to defend it next year! Did you decide about Keswick?
  • Still havering re Keswick. Can essentially self isolate there. But no known Covid-19 in Orkney yet and wedding on 10th (if it goes ahead). See what next couple of days bring.
  • Well done OH! I guess the risk of bringing the virus home with you when it's not on the island complicates the decision.

Beautiful chicksta - soak it up.

How are things in your household today emzap? Is Lucas on the mend?
  • Evening...

Oh shit Chicksta.. All that training... Does the refund mean all of your costs? Hope you can  enjoy your week away a bit nonetheless.

Emzap: for Bavaria it would maybe need to be white and blue like the local flag? Probably shouldn't mention it is perfect gardening weather here. How is Lucas doing?

Glad your event went well Ale, shame about the missing faces but understandable. Can imagine there were some great conversations.  Would recommend making plans for the 100th. Almost shocked at the lack of chocolate!

I guess it is a matter of days before we are put in lockdown here.  (sorry for the wedding OH) I am dreading it. The only hope I have is of shopping to get out, the village shop is small and won't be able to provide for all.  If that is the case then who says I have to drive to shop and how often. We will see.  Heard a third hand story that someone was nearly beaten up for coughing on a bus in the last days.... I have a permanent and light cough in winter due to the dry air and am not going to self-isolate because of that.  I do have a close eye on whether it changes though.

Well done to all running.

Take care.

What: 16.x mile long run, accompanied by OH on his bike
    Why: making the most of it, any run might be the last for quite a while.
    Last nice: no yeast at all at the supermarket, was able to procure some for free at the local farm shop where I get veggies etc. Homemade pizza tasted great!
    Last hard: the inevitable in the coming days
    Last rest 09.03.

Lyrics: no
  • I'm afraid you are right Hazel and it sounds as though you may be the first of us to have it imposed. Difficult days but we're all here for each other and will offer whatever virtual support we can. I think I may be going to regret not having a dog soon - may have to try to borrow some to walk!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    well done on the silverware OH

Great photo Chicksta

22m for me in the week so average for me at present, was nice to get in the top 20 at SevenFields Parkrun yesterday, mainly as quite a few stayed away... so 19th in 24:49...

Also has a biggish MS fall just before too, so aching a bit today, but snuck in 6.37m

Take care all

• Sorry OH x-post.. Well done on the silverware! Keep it well polished!  

Thanks LMH. Maybe I could ask to walk the mini-pigs from a nearby village - they love it.

Well done on the parkrun placing RFJ but sorry about the fall. Hope the aches go away fast.