Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Don't blame you, Jools.
    Not a great time today. Very strong headwinds in places. Started reeling in half of Jedward over the last few miles but couldn't quite catch him. 10th place overall in 1:28 48. But on a positive note, first ever racing bling with 1st FoGit.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    GUL well done, decent time considering the conditions  and possibly the last race for a while now ! Congrats on being a fairly old ? git lol 

next Saturdays half postponed last night to September so no races till at least June now and can't be sure if that will even happen so had a few beers last night !
    My Daughter is off Monday ...was for teacher training , Tuesday for Paddy's day and school just messaged to saw wed is likely to be off too and expecting by the end of the week school will be closed altogether !!!!!!!

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Bath Half was good today, still some good supporters, a smaller turnout but it went ahead despite the social media blitz.

Logged a 1:21:50 unconfirmed time for a decent 45 second PB. Very wet and it was a struggle but d&d and feeling good for a sub 80 attempt in Autumn.

sbd hiw did you get on?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Nicko!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work, Gul and big congrats on the v prize. 

Nicko, job well done there, you keep edging my pbs. Id like to think i could be edging sub 80 soon, however with Berlin, London and NY in the Autumn, any half i do will need to be late August or very early September. 

Will resume some training tomorrow. Cold is at dreg ends and glute a bit sore following further physio today but nothing major. Not sure what sort of training I'll resume just yet mind! 

Road relays Saturday. Bearing in mind the numbers that attracts with all the differrnt age groups and the spread geographically of teams involved (whole midlands, sth west and sth wales) i dont see it happening really. 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I would have thought the chances of the relays going ahead were slim DT.

Excellent PB nicko - well done.  I think I saw you a hundred meters ahead after 4 miles, although there were a lot of Bristol & West vests!

A couple of beers sounds a sensible reaction Leslie.  I'm expecting Friday to be the last day of School for my three.

Sounds like tough conditions Gul but that's still a reasonable time and you got to race!  And well done on the prize!

A bit of a crash and burn for me today.  My pacing strategy was to keep it between 3:53 and 3:58 on the Garmin depending on how I felt and to run even paced.  I ran 6K as a w/u and then lined up quite close to the start in the heavy rain.  It's slightly downhill for the first kilometer, so 3:46 didn't seem too bad, but the second kilometer at 3:46 was looking a bit fast.  Through 5K in 19:06 on the watch and with the HR up in the 170s this was only going to end one way.  So, a bit of a painful last 9 miles, desperately trying to hanging on to runners as they streamed past to finish in 1:24:34.

All considered, the time was not that bad, but a good time was there for the taking if I'd kept control of the early pace.  Even better, Bedford Man made an appearance but I stuffed him by a good 2 minutes!

My first experience of Bath.  I thought the crowds were great despite all the social media abuse circulating yesterday. 

Out of habit, added on a 6K w/d to give 20 miles for the day!

A bit lost on the training front going forward.  I have a small 10K booked for next Saturday (Battersea Park) which may or may not happen but beyond that it's all looking a bit bleak for a few months.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nicko-Great run there.
    DT-Northern relays are going to be cancelled tomorrow I gather so guess yours will be the same.
    Came to Barca as flights and hotel were non-refundable,went out for a nice 6 miles yesterday then the country got put on lockdown,didn't realise how serious they took it until we got stopped by the police running after half a mile,thought we could dodge them but another half mile we had more stopping us,told to go back to our hotel and that we cant leave unless it's for food,medicine or an emergency.Scary times ahead if that's what is on the way here.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Fantastic running Gul, how did it feel to be in a race? Hope you stuck around for the prize presentation to get the full experience.
    Well done Nicko that was a splendid time, I'm sure it was windy and not ideal conditions. Great to get a result before the curtain comes down for a few months.
    Ian my pal did the same and was due to stay in Barca for a week but has changed flights to come home tomorrow as it's a total shutdown. 

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    What were you wearing @SBD. ,? I would have probably been behind you at 5k then gone ahead at some point.

My pacing was predictably all over the place, with a 5:44 to start!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Nicko

I'm a member of Vale of Aylesbury AC but I often race in non club kit, so I would have looked like this:

I started from Pen C which was rather nice.  I'm assuming you were behind me and probably came storming through in the first 1K!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    still lurking -  just dropping in to congratulate Gul on the category win - and for keeping the xxGit definitions in use  . . .     
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Nicko - amazing! Congrats on the PB and a super fast time.
    SBD - great effort and a sub 85 in the bag has got to be a good day's work.
    Ian - hope you're not going stir crazy in your hotel room.
    As mentioned, the prize giving was cancelled but should be posted out instead. Have to admit it wasn't a big ask to get 1st as 2nd finished in 1:52. Never failed to get a PB before in a HM which was disappointing but not unexpected.
     3 mile recovery run this morning. Hope everyone can find some motivation from somewhere.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Nipped into work on my run this morning to finalise some stuff ready for people to work from home. 5 easy miles. I think running is about to be put into perspective.
    Take care everyone.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Excellent racing!! Performances and finishing places to be proud of.

I've always found the best thing about running is actually the self-isolation and headspace - on the trails, beach or anywhere not crowded. In a way, most of us have been preparing for this crisis for many years. Good time to discover some little-trodden routes perhaps? Take care everyone.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well said Poacher.
    Some words I penned this morning;

Are you sad and feeling blue
    Is social distancing not doing it for you?
    In need of some company to see you through,
    When all that seemed certain is no longer true.

Words may say what deeds can't do,
    A metaphor in friendship spoken so true.
    What you are feeling, I'm feeling it too,
    Only together can we see this thing through.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    You always were poetry in motion....
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Lovely words OO, difficult times ahead I think.

Excellent HMs, from Nicko, SBD & Gul! Well done on the AG win Gul!

Skipped Sundays long run as I was sorting house stuff out now all our work is finished and didn't really have the motivation to try and squeeze it in. Didn't get out for last nights recovery either as I was at work until late. Will get out for a 10m tempo tonight while I still can. Need to get the turbo set up I think!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Nicko, that's a swift first mile!

Well done on your efforts, SBD.

I tried spin last night, being my first exercise since last Tuesday. Lower back/glute was unhappy and has stiffened p today again. Not really sure what the issue is as I have seen chiro and physio and both were pretty unconcerned by my symptoms. Back to chiro tomorrow morning. I guess if you are going to spend a few weeks injured this is probably a pretty good time to do it.

I suspect the schools will all close by Friday, whether the government want to or not, as they won't have enough teaching staff able to come in due to their own or a family members symptoms.

Someone on my local parkrun fb page last night, during a conversation about the inevitable cancellation, said they were just going to turn up as usual anyway and do a freedom run. That sent me into meltdown, the sheer stupidity and pointlessness of it. Just go out anywhere, on your own or with a friend or two and run 5k locally.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A precautionary self-isolation here as I had a sore throat and was sneezing this morning, and now have an achy chest.  I don't think I'm feverish (although it turns out we either don't have or have somehow lost our thermometer: oops!), but seeing as I'm on staycation I'm opting to self-isolate just in case.  Fingers crossed it's something and nothing, and that I'm chomping at the bit ready to go (and we're all still allowed to run, at least alone: cf. Spain) this time next week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care of yourself Jools 🤞
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Take extra care everyone.   Came back from Africa Monday night on the last plane, via various airports with an alarming lack of virus precautions. So self isolating here too - anyone else? 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    SBD - didn't notice anyone looking like you, was probably in a self-absorbed ball of pain if I was anywhere nearby. Yes Pen C/D was very nice and spacious; we entered from the front after warmup so avoided all the crowds nicely.
    Gul - congrats on your age group win.
    Jools - hope you are feeling OK. 

Got out for 6 miles yesterday; will continue to get out there and run; just taking necessary precautions to protect others that may cross my path. Work from home mostly anyway so not a lot of change here.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Get well soon Jools

No isolation here but just been put on a three day week from Monday, only going to get worse as well I think.

Didn't get time to do my tempo last night so just got out for 4m as I needed to clear my head. Was very spritely at 7.30 average. Will try again with the tempo tonight
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

These are certainly bizarre times.

We are being swamped in work with clients wanting to understand what they can do re short term lay offs, hours/salary reductions, sick pay etc. Businesses are going wild, and rightly so.

I went to the chiro this morning. Before I could enter reception I was scanned by a  thermometer, temp was good at 35.5.

I tried to run last night and within 500m my left glute just seized up. Chiro, like physio are both happy this is just a muscle strain in the glute/piriformis and I just need to be patient. The chiro was quite well informed on the race situation and was clear that there was no reason why I couldn't be patient and stay off for a week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT my wife has a small shop which may have to close for a while very soon. Regarding staff, is there any place to get general advice on this that you could recommend?
    Great to hear you got home safely Poacher.
    The pool closed down after my last swim yesterday, but running wise I'm ticking over nicely.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - no self-oscillating here, but working from home now.
    OO - hope it works out okay for Mrs OO. My brother opened a tea-room a few months ago and things are not looking good. I haven't been swimming for a couple of weeks now, but had an email to say the pool is staying open at least for the moment.
    Stevie hope you can find the time and inclination for the tempo run tonight.
    DTas you say, now is as good a time as any to find yourself on the bench. Hope it's sorted soon.
    Joolshope you're feeling better soon and it's just a minor lurgy.
    nickojust ticking over here. Not used to working from home, so it's going to feel strange for me. I've shut myself away in the conservatory so I'm not tempted by all the "stuff" that needs doing!
    5 easy miles this morning. Losing focus. In two minds now about doing a solo marathon effort on 26th April.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Gul losing focus here too haven't had a run in 3 days now a long time till school hols in summer if you have kids and can't work from home which I can't. 
    Very few cases here yet in Northern Ireland so we are well behind the curve so far (68) as of today in total.
    Take care folks and hopefully things will be back to normal by summer ! Or at least past the worst of it.. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - we are expecting the Coronavirus next year here in Norfolk ;) Hope you can manage to get out for a run soon. Take care.
    Thought I'd treat myself to some 400m tempo intervals this morning. Didn't have too much time to spare, so just 6 miles with 6 reps.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, crazy times we are living in. The wider impact of this covid19 virus is hectic. I have been rendered house bound as my son had symptoms and was told to stay off school and work told me to stay at home for two weeks. They have set up a test centre here and so far we have 6 confirmed cases. I phoned them up to see if my son could be tested but they said he doesn't meet the criteria as he hasn't travelled off island recently or been in contact with someone who is confirmed as tested positive. I think it's just a cold but who knows. Schools are closing Monday for a month. Luckily I can work form home and the IT chaps from my office set me up a remote office at my house. My son's mother works from home so it's not a major hassle for either of us. Anyway I hope you all stay healthy and fit and that things will be back to normal soon. 

Back to running chat.

Gul - well done on your half, sounded like less than ideal conditions. Congrats on the bling.

Nicko - That's a very good time. Well done.

Ian - That sounds like a total nightmare. Did you make it back ok?

SBD - Nice running in your half. 

Birch - hello and nice to hear from you. Are you running much?

OO - Sorry to hear about Amanda's shop. Have your parkruns ceased there now too? I haven't run ours in months so I don't feel like I am missing out but others will. 

I haven't raced anything of note in a while (Oct 18 marathon) and was looking forward to giving the half marathon a go at the end March but like almost everything else it was cancelled last week. I decided to run a half as a training run on Monday to see if I had the distance in my legs. My longest run since Oct 18 had been 9.5 miles and I wondered if i would implode in the last 3 miles. I ran a hilly route and completed the run in 1:28:17 and it felt comfortable. I was pleased to get a decent distance run in and the legs didn't feel stiff at all the following day. It's a shame about all the cancelled events but if I can get out for a jog then I'm happy with that for the foreseeable. Look after yourselves everyone. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hope your son is ok Gerard, I foolishly assumed Jersey would be safer. 
    Yes all parkruns cancelled globally.
    Good effort on the half- can't say I'm the least bit surprised. 
    Amanda will be fine. She owns the shop and overheads are low, so it's just the temporary reduction of income- we'll survive, there are many worse off.