Wednesday 18th March 2020 - And I saw a burning chariot,

Morning.

Lyrics - And I saw a burning chariot,
             And the four horsemen of the apocalypse

Yes because of my asthma emzap. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference, all teaching moved online, main campus closed, skeleton staff on satellite sites to keep services running as best we can but face to face meetings banned. I can still support my students by phone and email but it's harder and of course they are all very anxious, more so than many as they have existing mental health conditions and/or autistic conditions.

Stay safe chamolk and check in when you can please?

I'm guessing it might be too late for you OH but the holiday cottage company we'd booked with for early April has changed its T&C and whilst it's not offering refunds yet it is allowing bookings to be changed for some time in the next twelve months.

It's a grey and wet day here. I was hoping for a long run but neither weather or knees feel conducive so I think it may be a full waterproof longer walk and hopefully a shorter run later - I need the head space. Have a couple of students to contact later and one who was very anxious yesterday who will probably need some extra time too. Difficult when you have no answers.

What:            hopefully short and easy
Why:             better than nothing
Last hard:     staying positive
Last rest:      15/3
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's lyrics were "Danny Boy", traditional Irish for St Patrick's Day 
    (although this year there was no evidence of any celebrations)

What: probably just a short run

Why: worked hard yesterday. Fitness suite is now closed but the hospital gym is open, for now.

Waiting to hear from GP about social distancing: I am diagnosed as an asthmatic but for the vast majority of the time it is well controlled. Will minimise contact with others any way. And will be monitoring peak flow and resting heart rate daily.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    No surprise, but parkrun is now cancelled worldwide until further notice.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Morning
    Sends sunshine and mild temperatures to the UK - not that I can take advantage of it as I'm chained to my desk at the moment.
    Distributing peace of mind to others must be very hard if you are worried yourself as well LMH. 
    Sensible precautions Ale.  
    Great idea regarding the joint / solo workout emzap.
    Hope your family can find a solution for the wedding OH.
    Also thinking of our GPs with potential / actual stress.
    Great news your cakes went down well Wabo, hope you got in two birthday runs.
    Enjoy Bavaria Chicksta - which region are you in? 
    No pub to go to here Dustin - all closed.  Beer etc. in the fridge though.
    Quite a lot of bad air about the behaviour of certain groups in society here with some people carrying on as if they don't give a stuff and ignoring all recommendations (old and young primarily).  Sad times in view of all the talk about solidarity.
    Ordered a turbo for my oldish racer yesterday - wanted to do this last winter anyway but didn't get round to it.  If / When we get locked down altogther I can use that at least.  Hope it turns up.  Catfood delivery worked fine yesterday - at least they won't starve.

What: some sort of a run later
    Why: only way I can relax
    Last rest: 16.03.
    Last hard: my informal running group is now off as well for the foreseeable future.  Probably for the best as the current advice is its ok to keep going out but to do it only solo or with people you have close contact to anyway.  Ok with that but I am worried that that will be it as we are struggling to keep it going numberswise anyway.  Can imagine that some won't bother to restart.

Lyrics: no
  • Alehouse - the government class you as a vulnerable person if you are asthmatic and receive a letter inviting you to have the flu jab. My asthma is usually very well controlled though that requires a twice daily inhaler and tablets. Unfortunately I am what used to be called a brittle asthmatic and when mine goes it deteriorates quite quickly. I've never been hospitalised with it but I have needed iv steroids to control it a couple of times.

Hazel - I'm mostly trying to normalise it for them, it's appropriate to be anxious at the minute but we need to keep that within manageable levels. Of course they've just lost their structure and routine too. Hope your turbo arrives quickly and that you don't need it for many months. Enjoy the run.

I had a nice long if damp walk. Not sure if I'll run or not, I'm hoping it will dry up and I'll feel like it but at the minute for some reason another walk is more appealing. My knee doesn't feel too bad but my piriformis/glute is very niggly - I've been at it with a spiky ball.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    morning all
    I think practically every race and training session is now on hold.... there was a lot of long faces last night at training
    What - wfh so heading out at 4:30 for an easy 10
    Why - making use of the time
    last rest - 17/02
    last hard - yesterday: 5x1k reps allegedly at 5k pace but I was so heavy legged... Managed to get dragged round by a couple of our ladies but was averaging something like 4:15 pace for each. Glad I got it done though.

Went to our local (small) Tesco at 6:30 this morning as it was opening. Really busy. Only needed some fresh meat and veg....Wine aisle decimated, and beer stocks low. Bizarrely people were stocking up on bottled water. You'll be pleased to know the taps work fine in my house.
  • It was the same in Asda when I went in to collect my contact lenses yesterday Dustin - bottled water and fizzy pop aisle empty - no idea what people are thinking. Hope you can make the most of the extra time - wfh must give you a lot of hours back.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Short run d & d. There may well be a lot of these coming up! Don't want to stress or exhaust the immune system too much by running hard or long.

May get my hair cut very short this pm: probably won't be able to visit the barber until mid June at the earliest by the sound of things.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    park run  :'(
    lmh keep safe thats the best thing, sure thats all any of us can do. Glad you had a nice walk
    alehouse and you, enjoy the short run ah you did!
    dustin, I drink my tap water just fine!!  Make the most of the extra time
    hazel, enjoy the run, and I did do a second one with my mate, nice off road just under 4
    What: short run this am, little walk later with a mate and then another little run
    why: doing what I can while I can
    last hard: last night
    last rest: 31/12/16

take care everybody

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I was told that our local post office was opening for an hour twice a week just for the elderly and vulnerable and thought 'why do the need that, it would be better if the Coop did it' then I realised that it's so they aren't exposed to so many people. Didn't occur to me when I went to the Coop after my walk - I just can't do this self isolating stuff, I don't think of myself as vulnerable.

It was nearly midday by the time I'd finished procrastinating/cleaning the downstairs loo/doing a bit of work and still raining but although it wasn't very inviting out I knew I'd feel better for going. As I was running I just kept thinking 'this is my normality'. Heaven help me when I can't run.

I should really get my haircut too Alehouse, I generally have to done for London, not sure I can be bothered to make the journey though and I just end up with a longer more straggly ponytail if I don't so it doesn't really matter.

Enjoy Wabo.

Just heard about the huge increase in cases :-(
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Earlier had a phone call from elder son who is a supply teacher: children in the school  he is working at for a term are showing symptoms as are their parents. All the staff except two told to self isolate for 14 days; and he won't get paid as he only gets paid for days worked. School only open to children of parents in "front line" jobs. Have heard since of course that all schools are to close. Wonder how Don is coping as his is a boarding school. Difficult times. 
  • Difficult indeed Alehouse. I have a zero hours contract too.

Lock down imminent - make sure you're where you want to be by the weekend people.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening all

What: a walk in the rain, yoga with a friend (virtual)
    Why: gets us out the house/nice to have some structure
    Last hard: entertaining a baby whilst home all day. Just brainstormed some ideas with my oh
    Lyrics: nope

Ale is your son ok?

This isolation is hard and we aren't even in lock down yet. If we go into lock down for 3 months, that's half of Lucas' life again where he'll only see mum and dad, how weird is that!

Dustin looks like people took your advice on the stockpiling!

I'd say have a lovely evening but I'm feeling a bit morose for that!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

He feels fine, Emz, and being relatively young, (i.e. your age!) If he catches anything it isn't likely to come to much. Suspect he will be more worried about the lack of income, particularly as schools may not reopen until September.

Hopefully we will get some better weather soon so you can be out in the garden with Lucas more.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say also did my 10 Min weeding (in the rain)
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Swim out to the wreck maintaining our separation
    Salt Water therapy
    Last rest yesterday
    Lots of hard things today
    Lyrics sound familiar but no

Wedding reception now cancelled with hope of being able to hold ceremony only with couple and both sets of parents. Things may change again ...

I am, unfortunately, in a vulnerable group, Emzap, so also banned from work meantime - Even in the now minimum f2f contact GP era.