Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shame re Brighton Jools, top bombing on the 5k.

Hamo - agreed, support your wife a bit more whist she needs it and tgeres no races.

I saw the Manc new date and thought it'd be no good for Macca, cal and steve.

I wonder if vlm will be able to happen even in oct, so i might end up with Brighton and Abo 4 weeks apart.

Reduced training at the mo (as i cant see North Dorset mara going on), so 10 x 3min reps today rather than the recent 15 reps.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Evening all. 
    Jools I enjoyed the getting in some TM before it’s not an option. I’m desperately getting in outside before it’s not an option. Really hope it doesn’t come to that, and I saw the Guardian reporting that in France you may only leave your home to go to pharmacy, walk dog or run solo. Perfect sport!
    TR doesn’t seem much point weighing up Abo/Brighton/London etc at this stage. I’d imagine that they’d all be on or all off, but who knows. Nice to see some more 3 min reps. 
    Sounds a sensible long term decision for a harmonious family life, hamo. Getting the buggy back out has been my saviour on this front!
    Steve - sounds like congratulations is in order!
    Macca - I tend to have a little cry at the end of most marathons for some reason, so don’t rule out the back to back to... yet. 

2 x 5M buggy runs at recovery effort. Pace is gradually dropping from 10:15 to 9:20, but I suspect that is me learning where the least challenging routes are. Essentially thinking as a wheelchair user must - avoiding non-dropped curbs and tougher surfaces etc. 56M in four days, albeit at a very slow average pace is shockingly big! But my overall steps per day, not something I care about but still an interesting marker, are well down. Amazing the difference being at home vs working on a reasonably large campus makes. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - not sure folks outside of london are at risk of no outdoors running yet, but it might come. Would be better to close pubs and bars first to force folks out of them first. Everyone playing the team game would help for starters.

Had an email saying Bognor 10k ( May 17th) is under review, not surprised. Just hope its not moved to October.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    SQ, if I don't go out and run, it's a real effort to hit 10K steps. When I have my odd indoor day if I've not been feeling good, I'm lucky to hit 1000 steps in my tiny flat. I very much hope we are not going to be forced indoors (if we're allowed out for exercise like that French I can deal with that).

7 miles this morning - easy pace but not too slow. It definitely seems to be the darkness that slows me down - now it's light early on I am averaging 10:00-10:30 on my easies, rather than 11+.

On a more comedic note, the 20kg bag of oats I bought off the internet turned out to be horse feed...which I thought I could handle but seems the oats aren't hulled so I can't eat them. WTF am I going to do with 20kg of horse feed?
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    TR I hope not too, but it seems that way in Spain, France, California. I think France is limited to a 1 or 2k run (apologies if this is bullshit speculation). Better than nothing, I suppose. No idea how that would be tracked, enforced etc. 

Agree, Cal, lovely to see more light and it certainly helps. Your horse feed error did make me laugh. 

Plan had 8-10M at marathon pace today. Took the opportunity to get out on some country roads and obviously run it on feel at ‘comfortably hard’. Massive hill at the start and 1000ft climbing total. Good fun with 11ish miles at 7:20 pace, with the MP section varying wildly to due climbing and descending, but pleasing to see a few 6:xx in there. 
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Steve...Your wedding day is more important, goes without saying, congrats again.

Cal...Keeping everything crossed that you can run Chicago. I just cant imagine what a total lockdown would feel like, hope it doesn't come to that for yous in London, or anyone for that matter. Proper lol'd at the horse feed, class. :lol: Nice easy running.

Macca...Thanks Macca. I agree, nothing feels overly healthy at the minute, the news is just constant. Might be a sensible decision; an ultra, followed by 3 maras is verging into Jools territory :lol: I've deferred my races i've had booked, Belfast marathon included, until next year. Great North Run and London marathon 3/4 weeks apart won't be good for my bank balance or liver though :lol:

TR...Nice reps as always. Yea, everyone needs to work together at this to be fair.

SQ...Glad the buggy is harmonizing things a bit for you, family comes first 1st no matter what. That is a big 4 days, nice recovery work. Good MP work, the hills at that pace will help the legs too. 

10 miles with 8x100 strides this morning, was bitter cold but a gorgeous crisp morning, weather really is on the turn.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    SQ Whilst we're still providing schooling for the pupils of "Key Workers" we need to be able to get out of the house & so I will continue to run/bike to work if necessary.
    Opted for the 10K version this morning & have the bike back. Meant to get out at lunch but I ended up running around tidying things up, returning work to pupils who I may not see again for 6 months & saying my farewells to the Y11 & Y13 pupils.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - can you roll and separate the oats yourself?

Nice run there SQ, in france you carry papers saying why you are outdide and you are expected to be close to home.

Hamo - it was cold here this morning too.

Jools - hopefully we can keep running for a while longer yet.

Dorset mara is postponed ( i can have a refund if i like - depends when it is).

Fleet 1/2 has been cancelled totally. 

With possible on and off periods of isolation for the rest of the year, more races might get hit. I doubt vlm now.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    TR - I’m with you on this possibly still being around through to the Autumn unfortunately. China took 4 months to get it under control for now only with a complete lockdown, I can’t see it working as strictly elsewhere so who knows what the equivalent time will be in Europe/US. 

Still great to see consistent running from everyone here. Cal - funny but bad luck with your oats!

I backed off the mileage massively this week, partly to rest my achilles that’s been a bit sore from the big run I did a couple of weeks ago. Good timing in that respect, just easy running planned and will take it day by day to see how I feel. No lockdowns here yet but all races postponed even though technically the limit on outside gatherings is 500 people. Most people are WFH where possible and with the good weather it’s meant the beaches are packed! So much for social distancing, it’s only a matter of time before it gets more strictly enforced. I have a few trails nearby though so hope to be able to head out to those still. Keep up the activity everyone. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha ha yes I don't think I can process them myself - my kitchen is basically a walk-in cupboard so I don't have the space or tools I need for that. I'll see if the nearest riding school wants them.

I ran 6 miles - actually went to Clapham Common as crossing the South Circular wasn't so much of an issue this morning. Still cars about but less than you'd normally get on a Saturday. Perfect weather for a parkrun PB and most of the mud is gone - typical!
    I'm setting up a virtual parkrun league for my running club to fill the gap - no rules, just run a 5K anywhere, any time and record it and I'll work out the results for the week and allocate points. Could be fun.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Well done Cal. Sounds fun.
    TR/John This is very interesting reading & gives some hope things might return to a more normal situation https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56 but it does rely on us being seriously restricted for 2-4 weeks. Seems highly unlikely mass participation events such as VLM will be able to go ahead by Autumn though.
    I did a solo Freedom parkrun at Mallard's Pike where I ran 19:54 last week. Jogged down to the start & round the lake for a 2M warm-up then located the start but I wasn't feeling prepared to enter the hurt zone. Figured a countdown might help so the OH gave me one & I set off hard with her whoops spurring me on & then, once out of earshot, let the memory of last week take over. My virtual sparring partner kept me honest & I crested the top just 13s adrift of last Saturday's PB but I was feeling stronger & tore down the descent & cross the finish with an unofficial 3s PB of 19:51 B) I then did a 2M warm-down which included an 800m effort on a local Strava segment. Got 5th of 248 :) 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, i cant see any big city races going on anywhere this year. Hopefully the smaller races will come back.

Folks just arnt realising what might happen, its rife now, and getting real bad.

On a better note, i saw folks running today(Probably due to no parkrun, as i rarely see other runners), kids on bikes, kids playing tennis and a long queue at the farm shop when i ran past, that only something i usually see on collect yr christmas turkey day.

16m done in a shorter long run stylie.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Jooligan! I must admit I find it hard to do race pace on my own, so that's a sound effort.
    TR, agreed - and yes there are so many people out there at the moment, being a bit stupid. I'm going out early and avoiding the parks and commons for the moment - the streets are much quieter.

One of my Facebook groups is hosting a weekly virtual race (no prizes/medals, just run and post evidence). I decided on a half marathon (options were 5K/10K/HM or marathon) and while I wasn't going to race it, I decided I would push and try to hit MP for at least some of it.
    It was a cool, crisp day so great conditions and I was out early so it was easy enough to avoid the few people I saw about. I actually got to MP (give or take a few seconds either way) for the last 5 miles so happy with that - my time was 2:02:34 which was actually my PB from Ealing half back in 2015, my first year of serious racing where I did 8 halves and went from 2:12:48 down to that and then decided it was time to enter a marathon.
    Interestingly, my cadence averaged 182, which is optimal, while my stride was a little down on what I'd do in a race. I was wearing my Epics so I'm starting to wonder if Zoom Flys and Vaporflys really do give me a longer stride.
    Left glute/hammy were a bit achey so Epsom Salt bath when I got home.

I hear Italians are no longer allowed out to exercise. It's going to hit me hard if that happens here, living in such a tiny flat as I do.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - strong run there, esp with a chunk of mp late on. I think its only Lombardy at the mo where that is in place......we are 2 weeks behind italy now in terms of loss of life. There were 5 deaths in portsmouth alone yday, so 1000s round here must have it by now, or carrying it.

10m today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hopefully we'll be able to run outside for a while longer, all the footage of snowdon, beaches and london parks didnt help, esp the gym equipment footage......i run very quiet lanes, can even run commute but there comes a point when its morally wrong.....i can do bodyweight and weight ccts in the garage and use the turbo.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Nice long run.
    Cal - Nice HM effort.
    Jools - Strong pace for a solo 5k!
    17 miles for me on Saturday, did see more runners than usual, but I guess that is because parkrun is off. Started easy and last 3 miles were the fastest of the run. Sunday was 7 miles with strides, legs felt fresh which was surprising! Plus kettlebells afterwards. 57 miles for the first week of taper.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice Steve. I actually racked up 53 miles last week but that's only due to running six days rather than 5 (I normally rest Monday but as I'd rested the previous three days, didn't need to). Resting today though.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Jools that article is excellent, I have shared it with quite a few whatsapp groups. The hammer needs emphasising in this country… I was gutted to not get a chance to say goodbye to the U6. Great solo parkrunning from you. I like the idea of a countdown. If I decide to run a solo marathon I am going to take inspiration from that and think about how I can nicely hype it up a bit in my own mind.

Hope the Achilles is ok, John.

Nice one on setting up the virtual parkrun league, Cal. Having been fairly dismissive of virtual races etc in the past, I can definitely see their worth at the moment. Great half marathon too.

Nice long runs, Steve and TR.

Beautiful weather last couple of days. Managed a big 78M week up to yesterday, albeit with plenty of 10m/m buggy running.

Headed out for the longest and toughest workout of the plan this morning: 3h with 1h easy, then 4 x 20mins MP effort, 10mins steady. My wife asked why I was bothering, and there are probably at least a couple of reasons: I genuinely enjoy the process and I value the structure at the moment in these bewildering times. Early wake up and then out the door at a minute to 5 – just like the old days! 0C to start with, up to about 4C by the end. Gloriously sunny and not much wind. Really enjoyed myself, although did have a few stomach issues which helped lighten the load. Paces of the MP effort sections were around 6:50, 6:50, 7:00, just sub 6:50. The third was a bit windy and the fourth almost all uphill. So I guess I must have had the benefit of downhill and tailwind at some point. All in, 24.4M at 7:20 average pace. Back in time for WFH/children’s activities. Having a lot of fun with various lego ideas – building and bowling down skittle and creating a bridge over an relatively inert 5 month old.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done for getting out there folks.

That was a crscking run SQ, id hsve struggled to do that today, as im expecting running to be stoppd tonight, hopefully running solo will still be allowed.

12m tonight, could be my last run forva while i hope its not.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SQ - Cracking long run that was!
    TR - Luckily we can still run outside!
    8 miles with strides for me today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed Stevie. I used my exercise window for 6m easy today.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Snap, 6 easy miles for me today (should have been 5m/4m double), but only one a day for now.
  • Options
    Jools - enjoyed the mini race report ! Good to have some familiar constants in these troubling times.

Agree with the others SQ, a top run.  Keep on enjoying the process as much as you can.

Cal - sorry but that did make me chuckle.  Could you fill a couple of bags with the oats for improvised kettle balls ? (Not sure what 20kg of oats looks like)

Steve - weird following the taper with nothing at the end of it.  For me, the reduced mileage feels “right” atm.

TR - agree there might come a time when we have to ask ourselves what’s morally right, assuming the decision is taken from us.

Loosely following the taper here.  I’m lucky to live opposite almost 1,000 acres of Woodland Trust property.  It was getting absolutely rammed at the weekend but they’ve now closed the car park so it’s back to more bunnies than people.

As a minor distraction, I’m pleased to report I picked up the “Dog Turd Bin” Strava segment last night.
  • Options

Hope everyone is keeping well. Great work those that are still putting in sessions despite races being cancelled. Definitely a lesson there about enjoying the process. I’m not sure what it says about me, but the first thing I thought when Boris said about one activity per day was “oh, no doubles then” :D

I agree TR, can’t see London happening in October at this rate. Even if things are better then, a mass event like that would be a huge strain and potential risk. Crazy to see the Excel Centre, where we’d be getting our London numbers, being set up as a temporary hospital.

Very interesting article Jooligan, thanks for sharing. Great solo parkrun!

Bad luck on the oats Cal

Congrats on such a prestigious segment Macca :D 

Running is still a no go for me, but I’ve been trying to get out for a walk or ride around the river at least. The nicer weather these past few days has certainly helped. Thankfully although it does seem a little busier than normal for a weekday this time of year, it’s still relatively quiet and everyone is being sensible with distancing. I’ve also been doing some more Zwift, including a few harder efforts. Might try some kind of plan on there to add a bit of structure, but either way I’m slowly getting back a bit of motivation.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Macca - thats a great place to be able to run. Nice one on hhe bog turd win, good job theres no prizes !

Spoons - hope you are back to it more and more by the time was can get going again.

I did 8m today. Its only the early mile or so and last mile or so of any run that i might encounter others, so could run 4m or 16m and see the same amount......however its the masses in parks, on proms and hsving barbeques that are the issue, and supermarkets are probably a risky place to be.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - Same, the taper came at the right time for me, my legs needed it! Nice to have that on your doorstep.
    Spoons - Good to see the motivation coming back.
    TR - Nice 8m.

8 miles with 3*1600 today. Reps came out at 6:02/6:00/5:49 for an average min mile pace of 5:59, so just under 6:00 target pace!. Pleasing to get faster on the last rep too, and nice to run a bit faster as just done easy running for last couple of weeks I think.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Morning all. 
    Great speed there, Steve. You’re definitely putting the icing on the cake now. 
    Agreed, TR. I am deliberately not running in parks to feel like I am playing ball a bit more. 
    Yes spoons, I too was worried at my own thoughts when I heard the announcement. Although a part of me thought: one ‘form’, hmmm 😉. Great that you’re getting more regular exercise in. Zwift would be a great option right now. 
    Beautiful location to live and train in, Macca. Strava segments have become more appealing again, having dropped off my radar for a long time. Well done on your beautifully named one!

Following Monday’s big effort, I stuck to buggy recovery running on Tuesday and Wednesday. 7 then 8M. Paces something like 9:00m/m. Ventured out onto exceptionally quiet back roads. Nice to escape suburbia, see some lambs and actually provide a smoother ride for the lad without pavements. Went earphoneless to ensure safety. 
    Got up and out early this morning for a solo run. I reckon twice a week without buggy is getting the family balance about right at the moment. Ran from home up onto Cleeve Hill: absolutely stunning sunrise and beautiful birdsong. Did a fartlek style descender: 20 mins, 16,12,8,4 with 3 min jogs. Effort range from MP to 10k, with the massive early hill and off road terrain meaning I didn’t bother to look at the paces. Feeling strong and motivated, although lacking top end speed. Probably got that the right he way round for the time being 😆 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Steve - you are going to complete full taper?

SQ - sounds like you are balancing family life well, keeping the running going inc some quality and avoiding crowds, so full marks there matey.

I did some easy miles today and didnt see a soul for the middle miles, birds singing, woodpeckers tapping, and a pheasant that joined in for a few yards. A rare sub 8mm av too, tapering must be going on.

Gosport 1/2 Nov 22nd which is usually a 2000 runner race has suspended entries and is not ordering medals etc in case it doesnt happen this year!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Sounds a lovely run, TR. Love a bit of nature. Not surprised about Gosport. There will either be no races then, or loads of competition. I am certainly not going to gamble and start entering at this stage.

Slightly shorter buggy recovery this morning - 6.9M at 9.20 pace. Got out around the quiet lanes again. Left achilles a little sore and quads definitely feelings some DOMS. Wore the adios for yesterday's very hilly tempo and I guess doing some fast running downhill has given them a battering. Nothing hard again until Monday though, so plenty of time for recovery. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SQ - Nice balance there.
    TR - Nice nature run there. Yes, I'll do the full taper and probs run 13/14 miles instead of the marathon, so I'll be around 40 miles for this and next week.