Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - hi - yes, thanks, still doing a bit - literally "a bit", in our usual terms.  190 for the year so far, so - about 16mpw average !!   This did include a 17 a month ago (accompanying my "marathon mentee", before the cancellations meltdown) - I'm suffering knee issue (which I think came on towards the end of the 17, but may just be age/longevity in the sport related).   
    That's a decent outing for an "off the cuff" training jaunt - nice one !  Hope your son ok.
    Best to you and everyone on sub 3:15 :)   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hope your knee improves Birch, I have a feeling  it will. At least you chose a good time to take it easy. Hopefully recovery will coincide with the end of the Corona crisis. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice half, Gerald!

Day 4 of hopefully only 7.  Still very tired but chest ache is diminishing.  Braved some core and stretching work yesterday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gerard, that's a great hm solo run! Hope things remain relatively contained in Jersey.

Birch, good to hear from you.

Just take it easy, Jools.

OO- Hope your wife sorts the situation. If you have anymore questions send me a fb msg.

My glute is still very uncomfortable, it appears no better than this time last week despite 3 treatments and almost complete rest. Very annoying, but at least I am not watching the days tick by the VMLM in April.

Here's an article my coach has done about the current situation. Mostly common sense stuff.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a31779957/how-to-maintain-marathon-fitness/?fbclid=IwAR10Iklbi1hxa5xDB-50tw4IUK5mJHIRqefLgtGgcYH_OL0rKChZKZUoHU4

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - I don't have you on Facebook but would you mind if I sent you a message? Our firm are basically breaking every employment law in the book and laying us off illegally

Not much running here, tried to go out Wednesday but head wasn't up to being out in the cold & wet. I'm in the shape of my life though so need to get out and maintain this so I can build for Autumn VLM

Hope everyone is keeping safe and sane
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Stevie, yes add me on fb and msg me if you want.

I was in the shape of my life, just hope I can get moving soon even if just to tick over and hold my levels.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    That's a bummer DT, literally. Thanks again for the good advice you gave- Amanda has a plan to tough it out and stay open unless the Govt says otherwise. I'm sure your fitness will not evaporate but it must be frustrating.
    Hope your job is safe Stevie, hang in there.
    Despite what I said previously, I'm having lots of easy runs and already reached 50 this week.
    I'm enjoying the freedom of no plan or targets.
    Stay safe all 🤞
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The Government is looking to announce a salary protection scheme for private companies this afternoon which will pay 75% of salary provided the employer agrees not to make redundancies. No idea what the small print is with this, but worth keeping an eye out for.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a much more pragmatic approach DT. I expect they will want a guarantee not to drastically reduce hours too.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if our company found a way to withhold that from us. The company will be fine, theres plenty of cash and wealthy family owners. Not sure they will have many staff left after the way they have treated us
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - Glad to hear your wife will be ok.

Birch - thank you and sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you're boy is well.

Jools - Hope you feel better soon.

Stevie - sorry to hear about your job woes. Hope you will be ok and can maintain your great shape.

DT - Oh no. Hope it improves soon. You were flying too. Thank you. The positive cases are rising daily here. Lots of people have been travelling on and off the island and our local government have been slow to react so things could get a lot worse if things don't change soon. We have a testing centre here but no pathology so they have to go to the UK for the results. It's madness. 

I came down with something yesterday and am feeling a bit below par. Feels like a head cold. My son is much better today, thanks everyone. I have been told to stay at home for at least another week. My partner is also working from home, we have are lucky in that we get on fab and have separate offices at home so we can actually get work done. We've been enjoying the odd bike ride together on lunch and a jog, so that's been nice.

Keep well everyone.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks, Gerard - yes, my "boy" - he's 32 now (!) is well - he destroyed my remaining family PB last weekend, at Yorkshire 10 mile Championship race at Thirsk, with a 9th place in 54:18 .    
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - cracking HM in training. Pleased to hear your son is okay and hope you're improving too.
    OO - hope your wife's shop can stay open.
    Birch - bet your son hasn't run 65,000 miles! Trust the knee is improving.
    Jools - pleased to hear that it's probably not cv19.
    DT - hoping you can get moving again soon.
    Stevie - just channel that frustration with your employers into the running. 
    Just a couple of 7 milers in the last 2 days. Might reach double figures again one day soon. No church service tomorrow so you never know.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Got about 8.5 done yesterday though watch didn't pick up about the first 1.5. Ran it as just over 4 easy, turn around, then aiming to run progressively faster, didn't look at watch after it finally started up, but surprised with 6:30 average for the run, and 6:20/6:00/5:40 for the final 3.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Energy levels seem normal again today, so I'm fairly convinced the lurgy either wasn't c-19 (unlikely in any event as confirmed cases very low in Bristol), or was very mild.  But erring on the side of caution and staying inside for my last 2 days.  You can tell I'm bored because I've done cleaning voluntarily!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Jools you don't like cleaning 😳 Since I retired I'm head of household and relish the daily housework, much more rewarding than the corporate world 😉 really I'm not joking...
    65 miles this week including a freedom parkrun in Keswick. I had expected to wind down a bit but enjoying the easy running so far. I fear it can only be a matter time until we get a total lockdown so might as well enjoy it while we can.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I like the aftermath of cleaning: when the carpets aren't festooned with cat hairs they do look much nicer than with the cat hairs. I just wish you could get from the one to the other without the tedium of vacuuming.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good mileage for the week OO.

Sounds sensible Jools.

A pacey progressive nicko.

Just keep getting those runs in Gul.

That's an excellent solo HM effort Gerard.

Hope the government employee subsidy measures come to your rescue Stevie.

Hope you can sort the glute problem out DT.

I can't believe it's only 7 days since Bath.  A lot has happened on the Corono front.  A few challenges ahead on the work front but hopefully nothing too major.

The legs were grumbling a bit post Bath but managed to get a few easy runs in - so 7, 8, 13, 7, 11, 8 and 16 today to give 70 for the week.  Back to base training for the next few weeks - will try and tick along at 70 miles per week.  A bit worried running may be banned sometime in the next 4 weeks.  Have been checking out the treadmills but the prices are a bit steep so may just have to do the illicit night time runs!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    That's a pretty sharp finish, Nicko.

Sounds like business as usual, SBD. Given i live in a semi rural location, 500m from my front door is the darkness of miles of country roads. i suspect I'll pop the headtorch on and hit them if it's a lockdown. You could get a treadmill off Amazon then send it back in 28 days. 

So the gym closed Friday which sent my wife and many friends into panic. There's a wealth of on line gym classes though and we have a decent set of weights in the house. I spent some time yesterday looking at a turbo trainer i gave a colleague £20 for about 5 years ago and never really looked at, plus looking over my road bike which hasn't been out in 4 years. Needed a couple of small parts for turbo which ive ordered off ebay for £8. If lock down happens I'll sign up to the sufferfest for a bit. 

As for the glute it is still very sore. i went out for a walk with kids today and after 15 mins i was limping. physio again tomorrow night. 

Anyway, it was such a nice day and knowing my bike was in good order i decided to chance my arm with a pedal. Thought 20m seemed reasonable but after 10 it was getting sore so stopped at 15 in about 48 minutes. Nice to just be doing something. Felt really sore initially but feels ok now. 

My first holiday of the summer to Lanzarote end of May looks to be a casualty as The island have closed all hotels for 3 months. My local 10k in May cancelled as has the welsh castles. I find training for a mara in the summer testing due to the socials and holidays, but if i can sort my glute out, coming off being 75% mara pb prepared and not needing the recovery period, should make September good! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Nicko - nice pace.
    Jools - pleased to hear all is well, except the housework.
    OO - good miles. Only managed 32, I think.
    SBD - I promise not to tell Boris ;)
    DT - sorry to hear the glute is still playing up. Well done keeping positive with all the cancellations.
    Didn't make it out for a run yesterday. Sat out in the garden and a sparrowhawk came and perched itself down 10 feet away from me before terrorising the other birds - an unusual sight in our town garden. 
    20 miles this morning - first half easy, second steady. On holiday so more gardening in prospect for a couple of days.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    So, we're still clinging onto running at least for now. Just no doubles! 8 steady miles. I don't usually see many runners in any case, but not a single one the last couple of days.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Hello?!
    14 easy miles this.morning. Still plenty to do in the garden, but it's back to work at home today. Still not seen any other runners this week.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul Hi quiet in here isn't it. Getting a few runs in just easy pace before we get the ban hammer. No working fro home here still work as normal and not many covid cases yet. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

who'd of thought the sub 3.15 thread this quiet late March!!

I am having to attend work 2 days a week. The rest is wfh. We furloughed a load of staff yesterday, it's been pretty tough! On the days I attend I will cycle to work. It's about 14m each way so a reasonable workout. I need to get running again though as much as anything else for the convenience.

You seem to  be continuing to fly the flag, Gul with some great miles!

15m on bike again last night. Following physio Monday, I felt a bit better for the duration of the ride so hopefully I am getting somewhere. I put a bit more effort in than sunday, though still worked at easy effort. Came out just under 18 mph average pace, which looking at other people who cycle on starva shows a decent level of  cycling fitness, which is good as other than a weekly spin class I don't train to cycle.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Don't forget this is supposed to be Mad March - so no reducing the mileage!

God work on the bike miles DT - hope you can get back to running soon.

I'm still going in to work 4 days out of 5 but I'm the only one there now!

Impressive mileage Gul.  Surprised you don't come across more runners but it may well be the time of day you run!

Out running at 5pm yesterday and surprised by the number of runners - normally I'd be lucky to see one other but there must have been closer to ten.  A bit quieter tonight but everyone very careful to keep the mandatory 2 meter separation when passing.  A steady 12.5 miles at 8:06 pace.  I can't believe Bath was only 9 days ago - so much has changed!

Take care everyone and stay safe.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Leslie - yes, get those miles in while you can.
    DT - good cycling. Hope you can continue to progress.
    SBD - good steady run. I actually saw another runner this morning just before finishing.
    15 mile MLR with 10x100m strides.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Difficult times but good to see some solid running SBD and Gul. I'm also sneaking out every day and enjoying running with no plan or pressure. 
    Take care DT, hope the back eases soon and work is not too stressful. I have 2 daughters who have moved back home to self isolate with us, which is keeping me busy and doubling my foood shopping bill. 
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Hi Folks, I'm sorry to see all the promising campaigns left in ruins by this pandemic. Amazing how much our world has changed over a 1 month period. I'm probably the only one not hit (had no races planned other than an Oct marathon, but actually I question whether any of the autumn marathons will be held:(). I've been getting my miles in and fitness has been sharp on the subLTs.

This has been surreal for me. I'm a virologist by profession. And while I've always known a viral pandemic like this was possible, it has still stunned me to see this play out. For our part, I've completely retooled my lab to work on this new virus (SARS2). Our first efforts went into figuring out a way to eliminate the bottlenecks to the standard COVID-19 test. The big problem is that one of the essential reagents needed for the test - a viral genome extraction kit - is sold out worldwide. But simplicity worked (turns out you can skip that extraction step altogether and the downstream assay to detect the viral RNA still works! Terrifying though. The reason this works is because there is a stunning quantity of virus in the oral/nasal/throat area (so a nasal swab pulls buckets of the virus). We've got our eyes on developing a serology assay (to measure antibodies). So many infected individuals can't get tested while they are actively infected. It will take a test long after the fact to tell people if they saw the virus previously (by measuring their antiviral antibodies from blood). This will tell us who can go to the front lines, shopping for their family, care for an elderly parent, etc. And we're working on therapeutics as well. And I only point this out because every able bodied virologist in the world is doing this same thing.  Dark days are ahead, but I think scientists and clinicians will come up with some innovative solutions sooner than most think. The vaccine will be the holy grail though. All your good thoughts should be aimed at the vaccine developers!

So keep on running (at night by torch or otherwise) and take very good care of yourselves!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Interesting, VTR - and thank you for all the work you and others are doing. My grandad was a virologist (I think he did some of the early work on transmissiom from animals to humans) and my sister is a microbiologist, although lab based doing testing, not research based.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks VT for the interesting update, it's great to know someone on the front line of testing. One gets the impression that the lack of testing in the UK is one of our failings to slow down the spread. Lots of front line NHS staff self isolating when they are urgently needed, and whilst they may not even have the virus. You guys are in the spot light and we are grateful for what you are doing.