London 2020

Comments

• 100% agree that existing medals / tops should stand for postponed races. 
    I've seen a lot of movement of this on social media and I personally support it.

I got a nice plaque on my wall of my 1st London Marathon last year - it has the year, my name, and my time on, along with a couple of nice race photos, and the medal. 
    The medal isn't the first thing i look at, the photos and the time are - that's my memory of my first marathon right there. 

I'm also dubious if the London Marathon will be run this year, and what will happen to those that have charity places if it is not. 
    I have one of those charity places and have raised over £2k already, yet the charity are unable to say if my place will defer to next year or not. I could have raised a lot of money from an event that i find myself not entered in, and that concerns me for all the people that sponsored me for the reason that i would have run it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Portlanders, I did similar from my first London but with race number and chip also. I didn't then anticipate going on to run it 4 more times and counting.

I think if this doesn't go ahead in October, the world has far bigger problems than running races to worry about.

If it is cancelled I would imagine that charity places will be refunded or deferred back to the charity. You could then apply for  a charity place with them next year and on the basis that you have 2k raised they would be mad to turn you down.

• portlanders - I can't see that anyone who has sponsored you would resent the money going to the charity whether you run or not.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DT19 said:

Portlanders, I did similar from my first London but with race number and chip also. I didn't then anticipate going on to run it 4 more times and counting.

I think if this doesn't go ahead in October, the world has far bigger problems than running races to worry about.

If it is cancelled I would imagine that charity places will be refunded or deferred back to the charity. You could then apply for  a charity place with them next year and on the basis that you have 2k raised they would be mad to turn you down.

DT19 - There's no way i could take a charity place again next year and expect to raise the same sort of money. 
    I would hope on the basis that i raised this money from people expecting me to run the London marathon, that the charity would roll the place over, with no minimum fundraising target. 

Little M.iss Happy said:
    portlanders - I can't see that anyone who has sponsored you would resent the money going to the charity whether you run or not.

No, sorry, i'm not saying that the people would expect the money back - but on the basis the charity profits from people expecting me to run the London Marathon, then it surely would be in their interest to ensure that my place is held for whenever the marathon is next held. 

London marathon will ensure the charity isn't out of pocket with the places they purchased, thus likewise would hope the charities ensure the runners places remain guaranteed. 

Of course imagine the outcry if 80% of charities did roll over places, and the remaining 20% did not.. it wouldn't look good for them that didn't. 
  • Have you read the latest VLM email portlanders? If you have a place from a charity but can’t take part on Sunday 4 October, you must speak directly with the charity to discuss your options as the place belongs to them. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Portlanders, I do not see the charity trying to get double bubble if this years event is cancelled completely. They would get their place refunded and start from scratch next year. They can't possible expect funds raised for the non event to be handed over to them and therefore would certainly offer those due to run it this year the first opportunity to take next years places.
  • Yeah just the read the email. Also tomorrows newsletter, if i read it right, will have an update on plans for the 2021 ballot.
    There's a lot going on.  
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    okay so I deferred and now I’m back in, hopefully my niece will still have her charity place and we’re all back on track, good luck everyone!!!!!
  • For those wondering when the ballot for 2021 will open...

• I think I'd rather have a medal with the wrong date on it.  It's not like anyone is going to forget what's happened.
  • I like the idea too CD.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have messaged VLM asking them not to bin any medals/ tee-shirts produced for April use them for the Oct 4 date.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, good idea!

Here's a relevant article in the circumstances that was written by my coach and is just some sensible advice.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a31779957/how-to-maintain-marathon-fitness/?fbclid=IwAR1Rob3NWThvpo_Rtlp6MkoBaG1RvPgnIlQiV27R4H3TxaW9LuOw_TRPg1w

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    With the science advisors talking about periods of isolation alternated with periods of allowable mixing i do wonder if vlm 2020 will happen now, even if London can get back on its feet in time. Might only be smaller races later this year.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Do t shirts amd medals actually have the month and year, cant say ive ever bothered looking. I probably still have some vlm medals somewhere, ill have to have a look. I throw my medals away mostly.
  • What they say changes week on week, China are on a streak of no new cases... that could be us in a month or 2. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    China had their first case in December and are where they are now wth some pretty extreme isolating measures. We are over 3 months behind them? With less extreme measures.
  • TR said:
    China had their first case in December and are where they are now wth some pretty extreme isolating measures. We are over 3 months behind them? With less extreme measures.
    Thanks for dampening the only small positive spin i found lol

• portlanders - I'm afraid they only have no new cases because of the extreme lock down, once the population are allowed out I think we'll see more cases.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Just being realistic, i cant see it happening in Oct.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    How are we really going to keep our fitness levels up if gyms, swimming pools etc are closed and we are told not to go out and about unnecessarily?
  • I live in a village and can run country roads without seeing anyone, but even that could be banned. 

Going to the shops will be allowed, so guess you can run to the shops... and perhaps not the nearest one. 
    Dog walking will remain allowed, perhaps now's the time to look to adopt if you haven't one already? 

Peoples situations will be different, you may live in a house with a large garden you can run around, or you may live in a studio flat and have to rely purely on HIIT. 
    Rest assured there are plenty of videos and live tuition appearing on the interweb, almost flooding it in fact. 

The peak on this virus they expect to hit in the summer, and if he have a really hot one it could be somewhat uncomfortable. I'm looking now to ensure we have sufficient fans, etc before it's too late that we would be unable to go out and buy any. This isn't panic buying, it's just preparing for what might come, to make life a little more comfortable. 
  • I have a treadmill at home Did 3 x 5.1 mile sessions yesterday.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im setting up my rd bike on a turbo trainer and making sure that is all working. I have a basic set of weights also and a bench. So many places are doing on line classes. you can subscribe to les mills on line for free 30 days for example. 

If we can only go to work you could run some of it. Set up up a circuit at home with burpees, high knees, press ups etc.  You can give yourself a very high intensity work out in very little space and no kit.

This is a good time for conditiong and strength work. 

Not perfect but what in this situation is? 
  • That could have been a lot, lot worse - perhaps the worse is yet to come, but for now we can go outside and exercise once a day with no time limit. 
    A marathon a day keeps the virus at bay? 
  • I wouldn't be doing anything that might potentially suppress my immune system portlanders.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    this is just a time for ticking over, easy running, hour or so. Keep that immune system strong. 

Worse will come as no one will listen and will flock to supermarkets. 
  • Oh for sure i was jesting, no more than 10km for me, and i live in the country so hardly see anyone on my runs as it is. 
    To be honest it's more for my mental health than physical. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 - the police are taking the new rules seriously.  They're stopping traffic here and asking drivers where they are going and purpose of journey.  From Thursday (when new rules become law) they may ask for ID and can issue fines if they consider journey is flouting rules.

Don't think they're stopping runners though  :)