Wednesday 25th March 2020 - Baby I see this world has made you sad

Morning.

Lyrics - Baby I see this world has made you sad

chicksta - you can go to the doctors? Mostly telephone/video consults here. I have no idea how/if I'm going to get my B12 jab in a couple of weeks and if I don't I'm going to feel even worse - mentally at least. It does sound as though you are far less restricted than us - can you get what you want in the shops? I haven't been this week so don't know what the current situation is.

Alehouse - ultimately it will be up to you what you do if you do get the call/letter. They can't make you stay at home but it's whether you want to take the risk of needing a ventilator yourself and possibly depriving someone else of one. That's how I'm trying to look at it when deciding what it's ok for me to do and not. I have a natural 'but I'll be fine' sort of attitude to my health that I'm trying to curb by thinking 'but if I think like that and do whatever and then MiL is ill and can't get a ventilator because someone else has thought the same how would I feel'? Not sure if that makes sense/comes across how I mean it. Sorry if not.

What:             short and easy
Why:              mental health
Last hard:      staying sane/making some sense of the situation
Last rest:       20/3
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics no and you beat me by seconds as I was too busy reading a message, thanks! 

What: unsure. Laps of the garden perhaps?

Why: difficult times

Thanks for the food for thought above as well!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Lmh what a great way to think about it. 

What: yoga and runderwear challenge
    Why: staying sane
    Last hard: runderwear challenge yesterday was hard! 40 secs on, 20 secs off of lunges, crunchies, squats, plank x 4!  I ache this morning
    Lyrics: nope

Yesterday's were our house - madness. Thought that's where we'll all be spending a lot of time!

Dustin, according to the news your company should not be sending you in if you can wfh (which I understand you can). Hope you've managed to persuade them.

Ale take care. I'll be staying at home except for a walk today, avoiding shops etc unless absolutely necessary.  At least the sun is shining again.

Have a safely distanced day all
  • emzap - I'm trying to make sense of it all somehow and think about how I'll feel reflecting on my actions if I come out the other side of this - not finding it easy though. I'd be broken if I tried to do that session - not surprised you're aching.

I hope you have a big garden Alehouse - or someone who can lend you a treadie?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Emz - sounds painful!
    LmH - good thinking, I think we're all finding it tough at the moment...
    Ale - how many laps of the garden for a 5k?

What - a run, possibly up to the Olympic Park
    Why - get out, get some air
    Last rest - 17/02
    Last hard - staying sane
    meant to say , yesterday's run around the park was with about 30-40 others. I have to say that there was plenty of consideration for the 2m gap, with the "run on the left" observed, and overtaking done on the grass inside / outside. Honestly I think the only time I was within 2m of anyone else was back at work....
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

My garden is fairly small, so dread to think how many laps for 1k, never mind 5 or more. Not sure that I have space for a treadmill either!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I can't believe they are still making you go in Dustin - you being there is increasing the risk for the rest of your family too, it's so irresponsible and not in line with the government's instructions either.

Alehouse - no garage or shed? A treadie is much better somewhere quite cold.
  • Well my stress relieving daily exercise has failed miserably thanks to the four older couples walking resolutely next to each other on the cycle/footpath and refusing to move to either side and make as much distance between us as possible - including the couple I watched park up in order to go for their walk - and then the man walking his dogs who in response to my asking which side of the path he was going to told me that he didn't care as there was no virus. Words fail me.
  • Afternoon

Can't believe that you are still having to go into work Dustin.  Hope the runs can give you a bit of stress relief.  

Good thoughts above regarding needing treatment LMH. 

On the 2m distancing when out running: maybe I am too relaxed about it but am just giving as much room as is possible and getting past people swiftly.  Sometimes it won't be the 2m but it will be as much as I can manage.  If groups of people choose to block the whole path and then complain because I go too close they are likely to get a mouthful, in particular those who can see me approaching, if not I will make some sort of warning noise from behind and give them time to sort themselves out.  If possible I use routes with plenty of room for manoeuvre anyway.  I would also be more worried about a standing around situation (e.g. queueing) or shopping activities.

Difficult Ale regarding the space for exercice.  No chance of a sparsely frequented route?

Thoughts of work in the future are worrying me a bit at the moment chicksta - plenty to do for now but in 6 months time??  Difficult times to get to a doctor - OH pulled a calf a couple of weeks ago and the swelling is reducing slower than we would expect (basically his whole lower limb is affected)  He should probably get it looked at but in the current situation...

Turbo is set up in the meantime with the exception of changing the back tyre - the front wheel block has arrived in the meantime and makes things much comfier.  Telephone book would have been a solution as well - have one somewhere.

Enjoy wielding that new spade OH. 

I would also ache after that runderwear challenge emzap. Detest planks but probably the exercices that we don't like doing are the ones we should the most.

Haven't seen chamolk on here for a few days - hope he is ok.

What: short run later - windy fields rather than sheltered woods (s. below).
    Why: clear my head
    Last hard: general rule of society here is you greet people you meet outside with a Good morning, Afternoon, Evening whatever.  Was cut by the first 10 people I met yesterday evening.  Okay, then I won't bother either and didn't. Probalby yobs from the nearby town with no manners rather than locals from the village who are normally the only people I meet.  A lot out anyway - will avoid that route.
    Last rest: 23.03.

Lyrics: no
  • Sorry I have been AWOL I have been running daily .Just life getting in the way with added stresses and worries.

LMH: Sorry to hear about idiots plenty of them about at the moment!

What 10 mile run
    Why: Because I can 
    Last hard: the world we are now living in.
    Lyrics: No

The nightmare yesterday with surgery , scripts, chemist's.Cancelling my jab appointment Thursday with no one letter ME know.Practice manager range me and no injections a tablet orally which I doubt will be as effective.....
    Just one foot infront of another at the moment.
    But i got out early 5.15am and no one around as even half anhour I am finding my route which is quiet is congested with runners and dog walkers.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: our main restriction is a group size of 2 and everyone is supposed to stay 2m apart. Doctors and supermarkets are open as normal. And apart from loo roll and yeast you can buy anything. For some very strange reason these two items are hoarded. People should work from home if posible but you can go to the office if you choose to. The 2 people rule does not apply in the workplace.

Very inconsiderate people, LMH. I met one other runner today and we smiled at each other but kept our distance. I'm also always holding my breath when I go past people...

Good to see you, poppy. Sorry you're having such a rough time.

Are you really under curfew, ale? That's horrible. The thought alone would drive me nuts.

Tough session, em! I still ache from a Fitness First online sesh that I did on Monday ;)

What: 4 mile slow jog. If I take small steps my hamstring is almost ok
    Why: injury management and sanity
    Last hard: what poppy said
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: no

• Good to hear that your hamstring is getting better chicksta. You certainly seem to have less restrictions and less shopping issues than us.

I can't always manage 2m because of the width of the paths/trails Hazel but do try to get as much distance as I can.

Poppy - I do hope that the pill is as effective as the jab but can't see it either otherwise they'd use that normally I'd have thought? Wonder what will happen when I go for mine in a couple of weeks?
  • 7.2 mile run up local  as my permitted exercise today. Only 3 people seen on route and all kept their distance. A still day and the relative lack of traffic made me a lot more aware of the birdsong around. Another plus was ,onceb on the road, cars seemed now to be adopting a 2m clearance. Daffodils lining the road at what should normally be a joyous time.

Knocked up front riser from bits in garage in 15 minutes.

Burnt of a strip of garden ready for digging.

Hancock's interventions are annoying and confusing many folk.

Would be concerned if I were totally confined to house (being in an at-risk group) as maintaining my fitness is main hope of getting through this malarky.
  • Nice DIY skills with the front riser OH and sounds like a productive day generally. You're not in the 'shielded' group then?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Evening!

Chick: for clarification, I am not yet under curfew/isolation/shielding or whatever it is called...but I am fully expecting a letter to say that due to my meds that I "qualify". See yesterday's link from LMH!

The guidance is to stay totally at home for 12 weeks and not go out, which, as OH says, conflicts with the other guidance to exercise etc. I like OH's words: "Would be concerned if I were totally confined to house (being in an at-risk group) as maintaining my fitness is main hope of getting through this malarky." 

In answer to Hazel's can I find somewhere "sparsely frequented": yes, plenty of places. There is a sports field a little over a 100 metres away with another field off it which no-one goes in: only 400 metres round but is long tufted grass which wouldn't look out of place on a cross country course. I ran on both of these this afternoon and only saw a couple of people on the sports field playing ball games with their young families and no-one at all on the cross country field. 

Also the river bank is less than 300 metres away: currently rather busy but if I go early enough will barely see a soul, particularly if I head west. And there won't be many there when it rains next week!

All I really want to do is to be able to run gently 15 to 30 minutes three or four times a week to maintain fitness and hopefully help my breathing rather than drain the immune system: often when I haven't run for periods of time due to injury I find that my peak flow reduces. 

What: about 20 mins gentle running

Why: ticking over. Plus did a fair amount of gardening if power-hosing paving counts as gardening. Judging by the amount of spilt blood on it there was some incident over night, probably between a fox and at least one feathered friend. A job that needs continuing tomorrow. Planted several trays of seeds (courgettes, mangetout etc) and a few in the ground (radishes, carrots). Could do with being self-sufficient now, not in July!

And yes, where's Chamolk?

• I think I am probably in a grey area. No will remember Myasthenia Gravis in searches as there're not many of us. Mine is well controlled and has never affected my chest muscles. Prednisolone is given to me for immunosuppression but is usually given for other purposes (eg antiinflammatory and antiallergy in asthma)
    Not had "the letter" yet but my own assessment is getting solo exercise away from others will far better my chances than getting unfit stuck in house.

• DIY riser for front wheel
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Evening all
    First day working from home and I loved it
    I have run the  last 2 days and managed to keep well away from anyone. 
    Keep well all I'll come back properly tomorrow. Just been lots going on
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can