My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Some people don't seem to understand the social distancing thing at all, do they? I am currently avoiding the commons unless it's very early in the morning and sticking mainly to side streets, which are pretty empty.
  • You are doing great swittle. Don't know the music, sorry. Grew up with and mostly still listen to late eighties and early nineties.

That's stupid regarding the daytrippers JD.

I would worry more about the John Wayne walk if I were to go riding Cal. Wouldn't mind the chance but too expensive as a hobby for me these days. Like the idea of the regular virtual race, good solo effort.

Tough work situation MM. New job and straight into WFH. Hope the journey works out okay tomorrow.

13 and a bit miles over lunch. Almost didn't go out as I had just read another anti-jogger article in a large German newspaper. Shouldn't read such. Chose a route with few peple to be expected and did my best to avoid all I did see. Disadvantage was the long straight outward leg against the strong wind - uff. Turned around and thought - what wind.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Going out, for instance, to walk, run or cycle while keeping clear of others seem to be regarded as beneficial, both physically and mentally in UK.  How long this will be the case is unclear - and the possibility of 'lockdown', however that would be administered lies in the background.

Hazel: 'Nights In White Satin' is probably the best known Moody Blues song.  Great flute solo!  :-) 
  • 4 miles of rutted, but dry farmland.  Pretty dull at this time of year, wheat just poking out.

Good running Malteser, hope the first day in the new job goes well.

Keep going Swittle! Good running.  I will check the Moody Blues out! I love a lot of late 60's stuff.

Nice half marathon Hazlenut!  Tempted to do a the odd race I was going to do on my own, I can get the courses of the internet.

Some of the seaside towns in Kent have been mobbed this weekend with out of towners.  Sitting around in groups drinking.  They've been hammered by local media, but it's so worrying. Did my mothers day visit with double glazing between us. Better than nothing I guess.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Walked along Crosby beach around sunset - plenty of space free for everyone to enjoy their time there.
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    About bloody time Bojo. Still got to go into to work though..
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good effort Cal.Virtual racing will here for the next few months unfortunately.

Nice run Hazelnut.I know what you mean,I'm starting to feel guilty for walking the dog or going for a run.

Great photo Swittle.

Linton,I think all seaside towns and national parks were mobbed by idiot tourists,there's been a massive backlash against them up here in north Wales,there's signs up telling tourists to go home.God help them if they turn up this weekend.

Just over 8 miles yesterday afternoon and then a 2.1 run with my eldest daughter straight after.Ankle a bit sore today so just a home workout today.Took Polly out for a  two hour walk and didn't see anyone,bliss.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thanks, JD1.  

The measures to combat greater spread of Covid-19 bite ever more deeply and I hope every MLRer - and everyone else too - can draw on their reserves of patience and resourcefulness to see a way through this unprecedented crisis.

A 40-minute run up to the former Coastguard Station and home via Crosby Leisure Centre proved a step up too far.  My breathing became more laboured after 15 min. but I rallied on the homeward stretch.  Back to 36 min. in a couple of days' time.
  • Slow and steady wins the race, Swittle. You'll get back to where you were eventually - with the limitations imposed yesterday, you may find them helpful for limiting how long/far you run.

3.5 miles for me yesterday before the measures were announced. Drove to a local playing field with the fiancée and just did however many laps we could in 30 minutes, just to get some exercise in (admittedly lost count!). Lapped my lovely lady at least twice, but she enjoyed it which to me was the main thing. Averaged 8:34mm.

Tonight, I'm devising a home workout to do in the back garden for my fiancée's family and us to do (we're under the same roof so it's okay). Will probably do a circuits-like set up with 5 activity stations: press ups, sit ups, squats, shuttle runs, and pulling a trampoline across the garden! 2 minutes on each activity, with a minute rest in between each. 2 sets on each activity makes 30 minutes. May change one or two things on there but just trying to think of some ways to keep everyone staying active! I'm the only one who can comfortably run further than 2.5 miles so long group runs aren't an option...
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Useful summary, MM - thank you.

Your 'insidegym' sounds great: I've got as far as tricep dip and sit ups, utilising armchair, and press ups.  There are always the NHS-physio directed leg strengthening & stretching routines, which I've done every day since July last year!
  • Nice pic swittle - is he wearing a suit of seaweed?  Good idea with the cutback for a few sessions.

Good idea with the home workout MM.  Hope you weren't planning your wedding for the next couple of months...

As long as excercice isn't banned and I stick to the Corona rules I don't actually feel that guilty about going out for a run to be honest.  If anything, I feel guilty about being able to run when others can't at all because they are need to stay in due to being in a risk group or can't because they are currently overloaded with work.  I started reducing social interaction 3 weeks ago and have been down to zero for some 10 days already with the exception of OH who is now WFH as of last Tuesday and as few shopping trips as I can manage.   

Just short of 8 miles yesterday evening.  Did pick a bad route this time - I was trying to hide from the wind in some local woods - so was everyone else and the woods were additionally busy from the nearby small town (never seen so many people there at that time of day - especially runners).  Will have to head out to the fields in the opposite direction and put up with the wind again.  Another way of reducing my risk and that I might be to others. 
  • 'Insidegym' didn't go ahead due to overall tiredness from everyone yesterday. Thinking of swapping out the shuttle runs for running on the spot in order to preserve the grass!!

Hazelnut - nahh, we only got engaged last year, so have planned the wedding for next year when most of this has hopefully blown over...

Just a 6.2 miler tonight with the fiancée on a bike. Still so many people casually walking not observing social distancing guidelines of 2 metres. Some just walking in the middle of the path expecting me to go round them! I'd have had to swim in the canal to make a two metre gap! Oh well...made it in just shy of 55 minutes, which I am pleased of considering there was a killer hill at the end. Average of 8:46mm so happy with that - anything under 9mm and I consider it a good run
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    They're barnacles, Hazel. I wrote a blog on Fetch about the Liverpool Univ. study: The article [link below] by marine biologists at the University of Liverpool [2012] reveals that the Iron Men were sandblasted before installation, giving the invasive barnacle, Austrominius modestus, (discovered by Charles Darwin in 1854), ‘a pristine, hard substrate onto which organisms could settle in an otherwise sandy (unsuitable) environment.’ The article [link below] by marine biologists at the University of Liverpool [2012] reveals that the Iron Men were sandblasted before installation, giving the invasive barnacle, Austrominius modestus, (discovered by Charles Darwin in 1854), ‘a pristine, hard substrate onto which organisms could settle in an otherwise sandy (unsuitable) environment.’ ncbi.nlm.nih.gov I'm lucky to have miles of beach & trail on the doorstep - 40 minutes today, 3.46 miles, breathing not improved much. People I met were flexible in securing the 2-metre space.
  • No slacking in household MM please.. :D Lucky regarding the wedding.  Nice run yesterday.  I guess in situations where there isn't a 2m gap available we have to quickly deal with having less.  Almost worrying reading about people jumping into roads and bushes - hope they are checking for traffic and holes.  Not good to rigidly apply the distance rules and then get run over or break your leg (treatment might be difficult to get at the moment...)

Thanks for the infos swittle - do visit your blog on Fetch, you write some interesting things.

Cal is very quiet - hope she is okay.

Somewhere around 5 miles yesterday evening - windy but empty local fields rather than the woods this time.  Better view of the sunset which was nice.  Met two dog walkers at a distance, a farm cat and 2 x 2 red deer.  The latter allowed me to approach quite closely (less than 100m) before bounding  off into the bushes.
  • Urgh. Another disappearing post? Hence the abbreviated one.

Still doing my 4.75 mile farmland loop, boggy and rutted but nice to be out, and no people.

Sounds nice Hazel, saw deer while running in forest of Dean.

Hi JD.  My favourite race promoter is doing virtual runs, may do one.

I used to farm oysters Swittle, fascinating!

Nice running Malteser.

Yes hope enrvuk and Cal Ok, london a week or so ahead of Southeast, bad times.

Still, sun shining, off to do my loop.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    There was discussion on Fetch about a notice that had appeared on the Avon canal, asking runners/walkers to observe distacing from residents of narrow boats.

A fauna-rich run for you, Hazel.  Thank you: I'm pleased you dip into my musings on Fetch.

LTT - interesting link to your former career.  The Liverpool Univ study was appropriately dense on facts and analysis.  Closer to the entrance to the port, not a barnacle to be seen.

2 miles of night-time trail for me, headtorch deployed but no help from a waxing crescent moon.  The applause for NHS staff caught me by surprise, as did the fireworks!  Breathing was improved.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm OK folks, thanks for asking. I've been feeling a bit ropey all week so I've not been running. I thought it was just my usual run down feeling I get sometimes but it's not shifting so starting to wonder if I've actually picked up a mild version of the plague. I don't have a fever but I feel tired and if I take a really deep breath my chest feels a little tight. I'm playing it safe.
  • Relieved to see you drop in Cal.  Take care and I hope it is nothing.  I've noticed I'm analysing my feeling of well-being a lot more than normal (almost too much).  Trying to remember what normal for me feels like.

Night-time trail sounds lovely swittle - take care. 

Good point regarding enrvuk LTT - still also missing Will and JT, hope both are well.  One of my cancelled races sent out the genuine numbers electronically to be printed out and encouraged people to run their race distance as a solo run on their home patch and post on facebook.  Seems it was quite popular.  I don't do FB though so didn't. 

11 windy miles yesterday evening, one of my standard routes conveniently avoiding places where a lot of people might be out for an airing.  Trotted through a farmyard (public minor road) and met the farmer with a (live) chicken under his arm - he wouldn't hand it over for my dinner unfortunately.   Must go and get my eggs from there - they seem to take a lot of care of their hens including little parasols out in the fields for shade and plenty of free-ranging.  Maybe not on a run though - would come home with scrambled eggs in my pocket!
  • Did "the farm loop" again, but attacked it a bit today. Most miles in the 7's.  Final mile a 6:39! I' m without doubt fitter and faster than ever and my ankle and knee are great!, ...and no races.  

I'm a key worker which means my shopping is done in the evening and as such I'm failing to get any fresh, nutritious food and as such am now 10.5 stone! It sucks.  Hit a pheasant today, but was on the motorway so couldn't even retrieve it, typical.

That sounds a lovely run Hazlenut, I saw the farmer too, in his tractor, who gave me a bemused look.

Glad youre Ok Cal, stay safe, hope you feel better.

Great run Swittle, great stuff. 

Be well all.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Glad you're ok Cal.Good to hear that you're playing it safe.

Swittle,walkers and runners have been asked on the Llangollen Canal to give  moored boaters a wide berth as well.

Nice running Hazelnut,hope all is well over there.

That's a fast loop Linton, especially the last mile.I'm considered a key worker as well,not sure I agree, but just wondering have you been given a letter from your employer to show the police if stopped?

Been ill all week with a cold so no running for me.Been busy anyway with the girls home schooling.Hopefully I'll be well enough for a run on Sunday.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Take care, Cal: it'll be waiting for you when you feel better.

Hazel: I recall an ep. of 'Top Gear' had the boys driving cars along a rocky test track with eggs suspended over their heads.  Messy!

LTT - speedy sesh and an eventful day.

The cool of the evening is helping me restore stamina.  Headtorch primed, I aimed for 36 min. - and stopped the watch at 40:25, feeling I could have continued.  Not a soul on the coastal park, adventure centre or prom...except me.  :-)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I got out for a little run today. Still not feeling 100% but pretty sure it's a mild cold now. It's tricky with me as I don't usually get the normal symptoms (snot etc) - just a grotty feeling, sneezing and sometimes a scratchy throat. As far as I know, most of the horrible cold symptoms come from the immune system overreacting to the virus, so I guess my immune system is a bit more chill. Probably due to working in a school for five years and getting every bloody virus the kids brought in.
    Lovely morning again although there was a cold wind from time to time. Nice blossoms still. I felt a bit stiff from five days being sat on my arse and still a bit more tired than I'd normally be, even though I've actually slept well this week, but I think I'm on the up now.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I was supposed to be doing an 8 mile race today so I ran 8 miles (though easy pace - still not 100% so not pushing myself too much). Cold and grey with an icy wind at the start, but then the skies cleared and it was a lot more pleasant.
    I can feel my glute/ham quite a bit - I really don't think it likes all the sitting. I remember I always had issues with it when I was working in recruitment but then hardly any problem when I started teaching PE.
    Of course, there's not much option right now - I just have to make sure I get up and move every so often.
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Glad you're feeling better Cal, and hope the niggles clear up.  I know what you mean about the weather today, arctic when I went out, cold northerly , but still nice to be out.

Nice run Swittle! I didn't see anyone else today either, glad you surpassed your time expectations.

Hopefully the cold has passed JD and you're feeling better.  Yes, I have two letters from my employer; one to put any children in school (although it appears not many are) and one incase you get stopped by the police (unlikely, here at least) and hopefully if they have a keyworker slot at shops anytime (hope they do).

4.7 miles yet again, 38 min yet again. startled a fox.  Nicked a 7:34 and a 7:19 but the hoofing wind stopped any 6:xx today.

Take care.
  • Oops forgot to post.

Speedy miles on your farm loop last week LTT - well done and that is good news that your knee and ankle are ok - long may that continue. 

Hope you are feeling better in the meantime JD.  Things are ok here - two weeks into the heavier restrictions now and people seem to be taking note of them.  Some impatience already though about lifting them again - I doubt this will happen for some time yet.

Good you are about and about again Cal.  If you spend a lot of time sitting (PC?) then maybe a standing desk might be an option for the future?

Latest activities:
    Short recovery on Friday evening. 
    Localish trundle on the bike with OH with collection of some eggs from the farm as above and soups, sausages etc. from the butcher
    Decent hilly 14 yesterday - if I have a chance of pinning on a number again this year it might well be for a hill race so decided to put in some hilly training.  500 metres of up and down.  Pretty breezy with some rain in the last half hour - I didn't take any gloves and had very cold hands by the time I returned.  Didn't meet very many people considering that it is a local walking hotspot normally - must have timed it well to wait until the weather wasn't as good. 

Finally finished my 2019 race scrapbook ('bout time too).  Race number, any photos I can nick of the net or occasionally buy, results list, bits of the race program with routes, a few lines of text things like that- makes a nice self-indulgent momento.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Cal,I have a standing desk at work,hopefully it makes a difference,saying that when working nights I tend to sit on my backside more.

Linton,you're running mojo as definitely returned.

Good idea about 2019 race scrapbook Hazelnut.That hill session seemed a tough one,how many reps of 500 metres up and down?

No running still,this cold has knocked me a bit.I'll see how I am tomorrow.Just taking the kids out for a 3 miles walk most days,but missing going for a run.

• Evening everyone,

Cal - glad to hear that you're somewhat on the mend.

Good running Linton and Hazel.

Did a really hilly 5 miles today. Absolutely horrible. My fiancée mapped out the route, not wanting me to take a rather steep hill. Instead, she took me a longer route, with some rather steep hills...

Ahh well, probably for the best to try and get some hill training in - not every race is entirely flat/undulating!

Going to try and run every day in April, and going to try and hit 100 miles for the month for the first time ever. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    That glute-hammy thing, Cal: once, that afflicted me so badly that I had to stop the car and get out to ease it.  Well done on your 8-miler.
    LTT: I dream of a mile time in single figures these days!  
    Hazel: 14 miles is a strong shift.  Like the idea of a runner's archive.  I used to keep results when they were paper based!
    JD1 - your sensible approach will reap its own dividends.
    My last run: 4 miles, 45:05, further in distance and time since May 2019.  Set off at sunset, trails to Crosby baths, then down beach to sea wall, skirt the Freeport and follow trails & path to start point.  No knee pain; breathing steady for the most part.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut - my desk was actually custom built by a carpenter and is attached to the wall with shelves and drawers (plus my CD player sits at one end of it). Much as I like the idea of a standing desk, it wouldn't really work unless I completely refurbished my flat, ripped the old stuff out and got new furniture. Which won't happen as I'd have to move out, put my stuff in storage and rent somewhere until the work was done.
    That is a nice idea bout the scrapbook. I don't tend to keep my numbers, although I still have mine from Yorkshire which I'm using as a bookmark.

swittle - I bet you're glad to have lighter evenings again.

Malteser - hill work is never pleasant but it is effective. I've a mind to go to Streatham Common again now the mud has almost all dried up. That one is a real bugger.

Nice fast miles, Linton.

JD, maybe we've had the same cold virus. I had no energy at all last week, a bit better at the weekend but then I felt rubbish again yesterday. Fortunately I woke up feeling pretty good this morning.
    Went out for 8 miles at what I term "steady" pace, which is slower than MP but faster than my usual easy. I wasn't planning on running faster than easy but after the first mile I just settled into it and it felt pretty good. Enjoyed this run - quite chilly but sunny. It's nice not having to contend with as many cars or pedestrians.

• Decent run on the roads tonight. Unfortunately my Runkeeper lost its way, but guesstimated it at about 7 to 7.25 in 56 min. 8ish minute miles. 

Saw a beautiful "blue" cat. Gave all walkers a wide berth. Sun was out, I think the wind is finally changing soon.  Lots of new joggers in questionable clothing and shoes.  Good luck to them.

Glad you're on the mend Cal and glad you enjoyed your run.

Good running Swittle, sound like you've fabricated some cracking routes.

Nice running Malteser! I live in a very flat area with just one decent hill I factor in each loop (up and down).  I entered a few halves last year that were hilly and found running down harder than up.

Hope you're back at it JD.

That sounds a full on run Hazelnut.  I have a scrapbook too! Race number, time, and a photo (few photos need printing still.)

Have the option to do a half virtually! but don't want to over do the immune system.  Wish  I could work from home.