Questionnaire: When is it time to replace your running shoes?

Hi Runners,

I thought it could be interesting to put together a short questionnaire on how we manage our running shoes, when we replace & some of the related factors.

Running shoe companies have set out some guidelines for shoe replacement: Asics says about 450 to 550 miles. Brooks differentiates between their shoe models, suggesting that you can get 300-500 miles from their everyday pairs, or about 250-300 miles from their lightweight racers. A Saucony rep says about 300-500 miles, depending on your gait. Two of the big American running stores (Road Runner Sports , REI) write online that you can expect up to about 500 miles from a pair.

But what are people doing in the real world? I will report back with the data and statistics from this short questionnaire....it will be fun!

https://is.gd/runningshoewear

Comments

• I generally go by wear and tear. I have a tendency to land a little sloppy on my left foot, and so the rear outside of the shoe tends to wear quickest there, regardless of what brand I'm wearing - although some brands seem to last a little longer.

My latest shoes were a pair of ASICS Kayano, which I replaced after around 340miles, before them were New Balance 880 having ran some 380miles. I've managed to have a pair of Saucony Guides last around 500miles before, with Mizuno Wave Inspires somewhere around the 470mile range.

It probably goes without saying that there's no fixed answer; it's all dependant on the runner, the runner style, the brand of shoe etc..
  • Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    If your asking that question after a run its probably time to change them. My shins usually tell me when, but I rotate shoes nowadays.
  • I didn't realise this until recently, I had a pair of nikes I ran 5000 miles in.