Friday, 27 March 2020 - Life, mysterious life

Morning :)

I'm kept busy in my home office and while the systems work well, I do miss my special back-friendly chair. I'm using a couple of breaks to go for short walks so not that much time to post on here.

I also find it hard to have work invade my home if that makes sense. I really need to establish a routine where I shut the door to our study, change my clothes and go out for another walk to mimic my commute home. Otherwise I just can't manage to switch off.

Hamstring survived another 3 yesterday. I'm going to test a slightly longer run this morning. I'm prepared to walk home if it flares up.

Have a nice day, all :)

Comments

• Morning.

That's a shame Wabo - I'm on a laptop so it's pretty flexible.

chicksta - can you start by having a five minute break every hour for a stand, stretch and short walk?

Heavy frost and light fog here this morning plus a slightly early wake up call from Sammy - hope that isn't a sign of things to come. I have a bit of an annoying cough that developed last night, hopefully that's all it is. RHR is up a little but peak flow is ok.

What:           short and easy
    Why:            sanity
    Last hard:    sitting on my spiky ball
    Last rest:     20/3

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Supermarket d&d. Got there at 6:30 but didn't get inside until 6:50 as they are only allowing a dozen in at a time. One in, one out. 

What: a gentle run at some point

Why: sticking to gentle for now

More cross training in the garden no doubt.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I don't think any of ours are opening that early now Alehouse. Enjoy your run. I'm waiting for it to warm up.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Morning again!

Tesco opens at 6. Queue started at 5 apparently!

I will also run when it is warmer: had to scrape the car windows this morning.

Just realised it is the Last Friday of the Month and I was supposed to be in London! Race cancelled of course, and I did manage to get my train tickets refunded.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    They were queuing outside my Tesco at 5.45 this morning - nuts really
    Wabo - My work colleague lives in Wapping and told me about Viccy Park now being closed. Had to use the Isle of Dogs yesterday....
    Chick - I know what you mean about wfh. I found last week that I'd be on / off the PC pretty much all day without any structure. 
    Home all next week (somebody else's turn to be "in") and with lighter evenings there may be some dusk runs!

What - easy miles at lunchtime
    Why - went for 9 yesterday: Isle of Dogs, Millwall Park & inner docks & Limehouse.
    last rest - 17/02
    last hard - sticking it out yesterday. Pace not all that but mentally challenging
  • Morning

WFH (I do so permanently) does need a certain amount of routine and discipline in my experience.  Always easy to get distracted and even now I find it hard to switch from work to home mode sometimes.

Still issues with panic buying in the UK?  Sigh..  Not looking forward to the necessary shopping later though.

Good you can stay at home next week Dustin. 

Hope the cough is nothing LMH.  No spiky ball to sit on here - probably all under a cupboard somewhere - the tomcat nicks them and errm kills them.  He has also started to kill the foam roller as well, or is maybe trying to hump it (doesn't have appropriate bits for that anymore though).

Regarding frost: it might snow next week again.. Saw the neighbour hosing down his apple trees yesterday - the water freezes around the blossoms and protects them in some way from frost - don't know how that works but it apparently does.  The fruit harvest was ruined by frost two years ago. 

What: short run later
    Why: airing, did a decent 11 miler yesterday
    Last hard: the wind yesterday
    Last rest: 23.03

Lyrics:  no
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Our usually 24 hour Asda isn't opening until 0800hrs now Alehouse and on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday the first hour is supposed to be for the NHS though how/if that's policed I have no idea. As usual the good people won't go to even try and the selfish gits probably won't care and will push in.......

Hazel - I don't know what the shops are like as have been self isolating for a week as Mark had a cough. My retired next door neighbour is going to the shop this morning and I asked if I wanted anything - it shouldn't be that way round:-( I'm having to send Mark shopping this weekend with a very detailed list (he's not usually very good at it). Glad to hear you had a good run yesterday. I think the cough is just my asthma.

Dustin - I hope that you don't have to go back in to work but from the sounds of your employer I expect you will?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    How amazing was the applause last night?? any of you NHS peeps on here I hope you feel appreciated cos you are.  And the teachers, drivers, posties, anyone who is keeping our world ticking over!!! 
    lyrics  yesterday were Out of Space Prodigy
    Back just niggling so I will get up an stretch in a mo
    hazel have a wonderful airing!!
    dustin enjoy the easy, I have run round there back inthe day of solo marathon training - viccy park couple of laps then out to the isle of dogs!  Viccy park way better...
    chick nice running glad the hammie is being ok
    lmh and alehouse nice short and easy!

what: 4.25 which inc a phone call whilst looking at jodie and girls up on the 2nd floor at the window
    why: get my fix
    last hard: not cuddling Cleo but certainly nice
    last rest: 31/12/16

Lyla was with her dad so I will see her that way at the weekend 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Glad you got to see the girls, Wabo!

What: same run as Monday but 3 minutes quicker

Why: must have been feeling good today...or rubbish on Monday! 

Still no letter or text...
  • Glad you got to see Cleo Wabo.

In a worrying development Alehouse I've had a text from my doctors to say that they are rationing inhalers - and there was me worrying about the effect of Brexit.................
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: 5 km d&d this morning, plus Runderwear workout (10 x squats, 10sec side plank, 10 x lunges and 10 x tricep dips repeated 3 times) and gardening
    Why: keeping fit and sane
    Last hard: hearing about people being selfish idiots during these times
    Lyrics: nope

On my run today I did some counting and saw: 8 vans, 7 cars, 1 bus, 1 motorbike, 1 pheasant, 1 donkey, 3 horses, 10 sheep, 3 white ducks, 1 runner, 14 walkers, 4 dogs, 2 scooters, 3 cyclists, 2 posties, something to pass the time and keep my mind off the current situation.

On wfh, I've done it for 3 years now and love it.  I have my office set up and only use it to work and when I'm done I shut the door and am home for the day.  However, I do put on washing etc in small breaks.  

Hope your cough is nothing more serious LMH, take care.  Isn't the advice now that everyone in the household has to stay in for 14 days if any symptoms?

Enjoy the last of the sunshine all, apparently clouding over tomorrow. 
  • Afternoon

Nothing from me today I felt too ill and went back to bed for 3 hours and yesterday a 2 hour afternoon sleep!

Pernicous Anaemia nightmare no injections and given a b12 food supplement!! Will ring surgery monday to speak to GP about this the whole point is it has to be injections as it leaks from the gut!

No news on inhalers here LMH.

People are selfish idiots I really dispair over it.Then we can not get what we need but local shops have been rallying around and doing the best they can.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    emzap- it was my asthma, my inhaler sorted it. No coughing since my first post. I guess I may need to be more careful about what I say.

I'm afraid things are only going to get worse Poppy.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Glad it was the asthma LMH, not so good about the inhaler and I bet my daughter still didn't organise one for herself
    Poppy sorry to hear about your injections not happening!

LMH and one other on here, hazel maybe?  I am looking at running jackets and I am sure you both rave about OMM?  Got vouchers for my birthday
  • I love my OMM Halo jacket Wabo. I hope that your daughter has/can get her inhaler. Fortunately I'd just filled my repeat script so I'll be ok for a while.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Wabo, I have a OMM Rotor jacket, and would buy it again! No hood though, not that it particularly bothers me. Too warm at times!

LMH: hope this is not famous last words, but I have a reasonable stock of inhalers.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lmh, does the hood bother you?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    and sorry what are the sizes like?  I reckon I would need a 14 but not sure what that would be
  • No the hood is fine Wabo, stays up really well without blocking vision but isn't in the way or noisy when it's not on. I am a size 6 and have the xs. Message Poppy, she has one and would be a similar size I think.

I hope you do Alehouse though I guess the rationing could be local I doubt it.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    My GP offered me a Ventalin inhaler last week but maybe since then there's been a run on them.

Coconut and lime muffins made today :)
  • The text says 'in line with other practices we have reduced all prescriptions for inhalers used to treat asthma or COPD to one inhaler. This is to help maintain supply for all patients during the coronavirus pandemic'. Exotic muffins emzap. I'm hoping Mark is able to get some gf self raising over the weekend as both MiL and I need some.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Apparently the country is out of flour and eggs which leads me to the conclusion that everyone has suddenly gone baking mad. I'm pretty sure that huge swathes of the population who can't cook are currently sitting on a load of food they don't know what to do with
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    No flour on the shelves this morning... except for GF!

Seems odd about inhalers; thought they would be essential at present.
  • And much of it gf too emzap - my MiL watched aghast as a couple in our local Coop raided the gf section upon not finding what they wanted on the shelves, the woman apparently said to the man 'look in the free from section they'll have some there'. Of course those of us that don't have the choice are then further limited. I want to see what these people do wit the long life gf bread - it's really not something you'd eat through choice.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Holy shit, LMH, now that is a worrying development. We seem to be ok still. Also with respect to hubby's heart meds, thank god.

Glad your cough is nothing serious.

I'm getting better this home office lark. Managed another 10min youtube workout and a short walk in my lunch break. I'm also standing in the kitchen whilst making my cuppas so my back is not as angry with me today 🤞

The Isle of Dogs is my old stomping ground, Dustin.

Our country is out of yeast 🤦‍♀️ somehow I can't see everyone suddenly baking bread. Maybe - since hairdressees are shut - it's a bunch of bearded long haired hipsters brewing craft beer in their kitchens ;)

Nice workout, em. And that's a lot of people out and about. I saw about 3 cars and nobody for the first half hour. During the last 10 mins I spotted one other runner and one walker.

That's an early start to the supermarket shop, ale.

What : 5 miles with a slightly niggly hamstring, ABSolutely workout am, Rocket workout and a walk pm
    Why: sanity
    Last hard: missing the social banter @ work. Although I spend a good deal on WebEx, so at least I see a few faces
    Last rest: Monday

• 4 miles easy in dystopian society
    + 5.5 h gardening
    Lockdown
    Lyrics no
    About a week since I was last in a shop but apparently similar here.
  • Good you saw the family Wabo. I had an OMM Kamleika and was pleased with it other than that the waterproofing wasn't great, the material soaked through at some point in really heavy rain. Loved the stretchy quiet material, hood was also good, could be fitted to my  head. Moved on to an inov8 stormshell in the meantime, good in the wet so far but feels a bit flimsy. 

Good news on the cough LMH but much less so on the inhalers.

Ditto regarding the injections WP. Take care if you are feeling off.

Good spotting emzap. I can add several tractors and a number of storks to the list. Coconut and lime is an interesting combination.

Crazy about flour and eggs. No yeast here either. Used to be a small factory here in the region but closed down. Sour dough Chicksta?  OH did the big shop again thank goodness.

Work now has a virtual coffee break meeting room in MS Teams, there was talk of cake (hope eggs are available).

Had to look up dystopian OH.. Long gardening stint.