Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - why are you having to sneak out?
    VTr - good to hear from you and very interesting to find out what's going on in the world of virology. Keep up the good work and many thanks for all your efforts. Take care.
    Made the most of the bit of daylight I get to see out in the mornings before BST and headed out if town to Sandringham. 20 miles d&d.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    VTR great to hear from you and your interesting work and with everybody that's working on it now I'm sure a breakthrough will come sooner than we have been led to believe.
    Gul fairly cranking out the miles and not likely to meet many at Gul o clock .

Seem to be a few more out walking than usual but then it was a bit sunny today and out earlier than usual so not surprising plus loads are at home now and spring is coming ! Very few up the dual carriageway where I go though so ideal and the paths are very wide .
    Got 6 in today with a good few strides thrown in but only where there was nobody near me , would feel rude to fly by now at max attack, a middle aged woman put her fleece up over her mouth as I went slowly past yesterday about 10 ft away from her  !!!!!!! Can't be too careful I suppose ....
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your supportive words. It has been a very intense/frenetic time. But good to have a chance to help out.

OO, you are correct. Testing will play a huge role in keeping health professionals on the front lines and capacity to do the test (it literally takes 2 hrs) for all who need it would save 2 wks for people not truly infected (or tell those that are positive to isolate to keep from spreading).  

Leslie, I concur. People are very skittish right now. I was out today during daylight hours (I’ve been running late at night by headlamp the past few weeks) and people were jumping off the sidewalk when I’d get near. Lots of panicked looks directed my way. I think people are really scared right now. But hopefully the word will get out that transmission will not happen passing someone on a sidewalk!

I had to get my wife’s snow tires changed this AM so a good excuse for a LR while they did the work (in all honesty, think they finished long before I returned;) ). 17M at about 7:50 m/m. HR low and effort easy. Body just went brisk and final miles were 7:20s and felt great. I’ve just started doing a proper LR again over the past 6 weeks. It is amazing how much fitness that extra bit gives (I was maxing out at 12-13 before). But man do I get hungry after.

More data today. The new virus test (no RNA extraction) validated in 55 more patient samples. We captured over 90% known positives shown previously by the extraction method. We are only missing those few patients with barely detectable virus by the standard test. So looks like the no extraction method could be used broadly, particularly for those with strong symptoms, and reduce the need for the limiting (and expensive and time compounding) RNA extraction method. Any borderlines that don’t test positive could have the standard test done after (say 5-10 per every 100). Will be writing furiously now to get this out.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - don't go terrorising pedestrians, now ;)
    VTr - that's fantastic news. We are all indebted to you guys. Keep strong. Nice long run too :)
    14 easy miles this morning.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     - delurk -   VTr - what others have said - thank you 👍
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great work VT hope the test gets approved soon.
    Great miles Gul. And yes I get the same reaction sometimes Leslie, the ones who stop dead in their tracks are the funniest, when you are even meters from them- fear obviously. 
    Planning at least 10 tomorrow for another 60+ week.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - hi, how's the knee?
    OO - good consistentcy.
    9 miles, plus some essential shopping at the petrol station, to bring up a ton for the week :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Incredible Gul I've never managed that. 63 here.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Gul - tks - proving quite troublesome.  Trying to 'manage' things eg this week; Mon 1 mile total of strides on grass, within a 40 minute walk, then 3 miles on grass (mainly) on Tues, Thur, Sat - knee painful subsequently, particularly at night, impacting sleep. Last night slightly better though - I'm tempted to try another 3 this aft'n.  Doing exercises for it, too.  I probably should be resting from running, but its a tradeoff between tolerating some pain, and the mental benefit of getting out, even for a modest distance.  

super week there - I had an ambition at one time for a "ton" week, but it never happened - well done. If (and even this far out, it could be a BIG if) races are happening by Autumn, do you have a prospective marathon - were you doing London?  
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Hope the knee sorts itself out Birch.

Monster mileage Gul - 100 is a nice milestone - was that deliberate and to be repeated?  What was the breakdown?  I think my body would breakdown if I tried to run that mileage.

A good weeks mileage OO.

Great to hear about your work VT - hope the progress continues.  And good work on the LR.

Ticking over here, so 7.5, 10, 12,5, 7.5, 10, 7.5 and 16 today to give 71 miles for the week.  A bit windy today but some pleasant sunshine in the sheltered sections.  It's all been easy miles (c. 8.00 m/m pace) but the legs seem to want to go a bit faster today, so an average pace of 7:36.

Let's hope there are no further restrictions placed on running in the next few months - running a 1 mile loop outside the front door could get a bit boring!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, has word filtered through that vmlm is cancelled??? Great mileage.

well done also oo and SBD on business as usual. 

vtr- keep up the sterling work! 

We've finally gone on full wfh from friday. I suspect I'm going to go a bit mad with kids here as well. We've furloghed a load of staff and put all others on a 4 day week. See how much more dramatic that'll need to get in coming weeks. 

So having had 1 cold in 2 years up until 3 weeks ago, im now on my 2nd cold in 3 weeks. As for my glute, it feels quite a lot better, but not perfect. im at that point now though where i wonder if it needs some light running to progress further. Thinking of trying to run tomorrow. I just need to get out there to build up some exercise as not motivated to do anything otherwise. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sorry to hear  that Birch, that's a difficult balancing act for sure.
    You seem to be going very well SBD 👍
    DT a short run will be a welcome escape from the kids 😉 Hope you get through this rough patch.
    Only managed a slow 11 in poor conditions today. 63 final score.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, yep i really need to be able to run now. i cant disappear to work this is it, groundhog day. Plenty would suggest that with no races pending this is the best time to be injured. It really isnt, i need that time running to myself more than ever now. I've lost the calm of of my commute, my lunchtime running etc i really could do with my body playing ball tomorrow.  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    OO - good miles. A quick flurry of sleet and snow here yesterday morning. Probably even colder up north.
    Birch - sorry to hear that. Hope the odd few miles isn't doing any damage and the knee heals up soon. And yes, I have a GFA place, but who knows if and when I'll get to use it!
    SBD - lots of good easy miles there. If they restrict us to 1 mile from home then I guess that will mean endless loops of pi miles ;) I hadn't specifically targeted 100 (20, 8, 14, 15, 20, 14, 9) until the weekend, just thought now is a good a time as any to experiment with higher mileage. Will do something similar this week hopefully.
    DT - I feel your frustration. Hope you can get back on the road soon 
    18 easy miles to start the week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Gang! great to see some of you getting out. Well done on the ton, Gul, amazing!

Well, that's 2 weeks I don't want to repeat in a hurry. Haven't run a step and felt the most unwell I think i can ever remember.
    It started off with a splitting headache for 2 days and aching shoulders. I put it down to manflu.

I developed an elevated temperature and my HR was in the 70s, usually in the 40s.
    Of course, I started thinking of Corona and made sure I isolated.
    The body aches spread to all over, shoulders, back, arms, thighs, calfs, shins, everywhere.
    By the weekend I started to feel better and even enjoyed a glass of wine.
    Then on the Monday the fever hit, I had aches in my legs and I felt drained. It was a very rough night.
    I had to ration my Paracetamol intake as the panic buyers had cleared the shelves for those of us that needed it.
    Then all taste and smell went, like someone flicked a switch.
    Since Wednesday I've had improvement after each sleep. I have been waking up covered in sweat but I think it's the last of the bug coming out.

Happy to report that I feel much better. I still can't smell or taste a thing but I can do core and strength work. Hopefully I'll be able to do a very short comeback run on Wednesday as I want to attempt an April running streak.

Having endurance running fitness did give me more confidence about fighting this bug at my age. Being slightly asthmatic concerned me as I'm sensitive to anything happening in the chest department but it was OK, I could only feel some strange sensations at the very top of the chest, similar to when you take a very deep breath on a freezing cold morning.

Really looking forward to tasting food again...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, good start to the week.

G-Dawg, blimey that sounds pretty rough. So I take it that you consider that you have had this virus then? We have a digital thermometer so I am checking my temp regularly just to make sure I am not perhaps displaying mild symptoms given I have a cold.

My last real public contact for any length of time was last Friday so I am hoping I am now moving away from a risk factor in that regards.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi DT. yes, I reckon I've had the virus. Various celebrities and doctor's on the TV that have had similar symptoms on TV/radio have tested positive. It's too much of coincidence to just be man-flu. The taste/smell thing is something I've never experienced before, even with the heaviest of colds/flu in the past.

Hopefully there is now immunity but I guess that will be confirmed when the science guys confirm that to be the case.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - crikey, that sounds a thoroughly rotten experience. Never had flu or even a proper headache, so can't imagine what that must have felt like. Really pleased to hear you're over the worst of it and hope you recover well. Do you think you've managed to avoid passing it on to anyone else in your household? Take care now.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg that sounds vile. So glad to hear you are past the worst of it, but do take it easy. I had what I think we're mild covid symptoms 2 weeks ago and the post viral fatigue was vile. I had to be in bed by 9pm most nights last week!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yep, same here! In bed before 9pm every night despite not being told off by my parents!
    Glad you're better too, Jools.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sounds like a tough time G-D.  So do you think the politicians (including BJ) and royalty who have only suffered minor symptoms are being economical with the truth?  It's a shame you weren't able to be tested to confirm the diagnosis.   A couple of weeks ago I thought it would be good to get the virus to get it out of the way but given your experience I may have changed my mind!

More big miles Gul - back to back 100 mile weeks would be impressive!

That's still a good week's total OO.  

Hope the glute plays ball DT - presumably the physio is no longer an option at the moment?

An easy 7.5 miles tonight at 6pm taking advantage of the extra daylight.  Pretty quite on the country roads, so zero runners encountered and 100% social distancing achieved! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    9pm? Sounds pretty normal to me :)
    SBD - nicely done.
    Forgot to report 12x100m strides yesterday. Another 15 easy miles today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Crikey G Dawg you are the first proper runner I've heard of the get the bug. I was wondering if we would be spared or get mild symptoms but clearly not. So glad you have come through it. I'm sure you will, but please take the comeback gently. How old are you by the way?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Thanks, OO. Will certainly take it super easy in the first week back, hopefully with the most gentle of 5k runs tomorrow. I'm 52.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

There was an article on the news last night about people being affected differently and it comes down to how much of the virus you take on. Essentially those very ill have taken a lot of it, which is why we are seeing medics, otherwise not in at at risk cat, dying because a person with a heavy dose will expel large amounts of virus on each cough etc and those in hospital are either there because of a heavy dose or underlying conditions, or both .

I tried a run last night. went out largely optimistic. Was a bit sore to start but expected that, then about 1m in it started worsening and at 13 mins I called a stop and walked home. Sore again now. In the absence of being able to have physio, I had a telephone appt with the gp this morning (which was much easier to get than usual) and now have some naproxen prescribed to collect tomorrow. When I saw physio last Monday he said there was a lot of inflammation deep in the si joint, too far for icing to work so this seemed the next logical step.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    A doctor friend told me the same thing DT but I struggle with it I must say. I can't get my head around grades of infection.
    Closed out March with 275 miles and 750 ytd. These are both new records since I joined Strava in 2016. Though my weight has crept up a couple of pounds since the lockdown. Partly due to the lack of swimming and partly just eating too much 😳
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul you never had the flu or a headache ?  what sort of a cyborg are you man ? Oh the type does a ton of miles a week , chapeau sir and carry on !!!!!!!!!!!

Gdawg given you are in London a lot which is the centre of it I wouldn't be at all surprised if you had it ,glad you are over it now .

SBD Boris having it and not one symptom on his little videos seems a bit far reached to me ,had worse sniffles !!!!!

I can tell you I am still at work ( with 400 others at any one time  ! )and a guy on another shift has it , mid 40's and in hospital on a ventilator is what we have been told  ! so the idea of varying degrees of the virus certainly sounds true  and people at work are certainly a bit worried now especially those he was in close contact with !
    Got a letter to keep my daughter who has Asthma in totally for the next 12 weeks this morn as well !

Clocking a few miles only 140m in March and 5 easy today after a rest yesterday !

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Doesn't sound too good on the work front Leslie.  Take care of your daughter.

Good monthly and YTD totals OO - if only you had a spring marathon to race at!

Hopefully you'll be running before long DT.

More good miles Gul.

7.5 miles easy tonight on very quiet country roads.  It's getting so quite you can often run down the middle of road which I don't usually get to do unless it's snowed!  Brings up 344 miles for the month and 1,005 YTD.  So a reasonable number of miles if nothing else.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - hope you can manage a few very easy miles today.
    DT - sounds like NSAID required. Hope it does the trick.
    Leslie - in the words of John Foxx, I want to be a machine! I can confirm however that I am human and do suffer from colds from time to time :) Hope you and your family can keep covid19-free.
    SBD - Monster miles - 1000 ytd already! You reminded me that it was the end of the month...
    282 for March and 876 ytd, Early morning shopping today, so just 12 slow/easy miles.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hope the work virus case is just a one off, Leslie.
    Cracking month there, SBD. Well done!
    Only 36 for me in March due to injury and illness. Lowest March ever.

Managed to get out as hoped this morning. Just a slow 5k on the frozen trails to get back into it. No body reaction to the past couple of weeks, so I'll do the same again tomorrow...