Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Monster miles SBD 😳
    I'm considering a freedom marathon on Sunday from my house with 4 and a half lap route up the coast. Weather permitting. I'll stick to a comfortable pace  c7-7:15 min miles. Hoping a quiet solo run is permissible. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - sounds promising. Take it easy.
    OO - you don't fancy an unnecessary journey down to Norfolk to pace me, do you?!
    18 easy miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Haha wouldn't that be great Gul. Good miles but I'm tapering now 😉
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    A one day taper?! I'm planning on a 2 week taper starting at Easter. I was thinking of using a 6 mile loop starting at the Church, followed by a 2 mile loop and then it just happens to be 0.2x miles home :) Target VLM (virtual London marathon) is Saturday 25th April, which will be exactly 10 years since my only actual VLM race. (Hope it goes better than that day!)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good miles again, Gul, nice.

Another 5k this morning on the trails. A bit of huff and puff due to either illness recovery or just being a crap morning runner. I suspect the latter.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It's a 4 day taper but I'll still get a short run every day for my sanity. 
    They all count G-D 😉
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Yes, four days of course. Not sure how I made that one day, bizarre. Must be due to the lockdown!
    Steady as she goes, GD :)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Be careful OO there was an interesting article about a very long run even easy pace hitting your immune system hard for a few days after. I know you are made of iron but worth keeping in mind.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I was going to say what Nicko has said. Please be careful chaps!

Picked up my tabs yesterday. Have a coater tablet to take each morning because last I tried  course I had stomach pain quite soon, then  3 x 250mg naproxen as last time I did 2 x 500 so trying to make sure I can get a good weeks worth in.

Even though the tabs wouldn't have hit the system yet, actually feeling much better today.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising DT. Will bear in mind what you and Nicko said. Certainly will cut back or rest at any sign of illness.
    Feeling fine today, so another 17 miles.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm also starting to feel fresher after a couple of days cut back. No more running until Sunday now. Will be sensible of course, my only target is to run a negative split.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Batteries recharging nicely OO.

Third running day in a row today after over 2 weeks of nothing. Increased it a fraction to just 4 miles on the trails. This is the sort of thing I should do at certain time of the year anyway, so it's interesting to see how it feels and how much  stronger I can get.

Going 'long' over the weekend with a massive 5 miler!!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - enjoy the marathon on Sunday. Should be a nice day.
    GD - steady on now! ;)
    16 easy miles this morning. Was hoping to round off the week today, but didn't get out till 4:07, so need another 4 miles tomorrow.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    in these strange times, its gems like Gul's that keep us going 
    "didn't get out till 4:07" . . .     :smile:

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Huge lol!!!! You lazy old sod, Gul! 

Back is feeling improved, however i still cant do our 50 minute walk without it eventually hurting. i figure until i can do that then trying to run would be pointless. I've done 3 days of naproxen now and I've read for more chronic deeper inflammation like this it takes 3 days before they start doing their job. I'm hoping with nocwork or schooling the next 2 days i can spend some good time get exercises and stretches done. 

I watched the Barkley marathons the other night. Not classically running for me but still a hugely interesting view of the mentality etc of endurance events. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I can confirm I was asleep at 4.07. And 5.07. But I did get up to feed the cats at about 6.07...

7 miles steady then strength and conditioning session with clubmates over Zoom.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I love the Barkley Marathons, DT, have watched it a couple of times. A mate has a place in the Fall Classic in October, one lap of the course. Madness!

Got my 5 miler done today, then washed the cars.
    Legs feel tired but that's OK, I doubt I did one day's worth of walking for the 11 days I was ill. Slow strength build up goes on. 5k recovery tomorrow!  :D
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Gul you slacker I hadn't even been to bed yet at 4:07 am or even 7:07 am lol !!!!!!!!!! I didn't run any miles though ....
    Dt sounds like running is not happening for a while yet so just take it easy.
    Ddawg making a steady comeback now.
    Jools one of our feline alarm clocks gets up at 5am and scratches the door to get out much to my annoyance lol.

Running :

Wed 5 with lots of strides , Thurs 6 easy and Fri 5 with lots of 20 sec strides again ,nice to go fast but quite tiring !

3rd covid case hospitalized at work with breathing difficulties although they don't appear to be related that I can tell. Masks now compulsory in corridors and other measures added ! 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Bit of a change today. 65 minute walk, didnt feel anything until 55 minutes in which is a big improvement. Just need to hold steady now and not start running again because i want to as opposed because im fixed. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    DT - hope you can be disciplined and resist the urge to run. It will be worth it!
    Jools - good stuff.
    GD - Madbarkley marathon! Good to hear your recovery is continuing. I would recommend increasing less than 10%.
    Leslie - sounds like a nightmare at work. Nicely ticking over with the running.
    OO - have a great run today :)
    Delivering palm crosses this Sunday and clocked up 6 miles - a recovery run! - to make it 102 for the week :)
    VLM taper would have begun tomorrow. I'm going to carry on as normal until Friday when I'll take a rest day. And Easter Sunday will probably be a sunrise walk with Mrs GD to celebrate the resurrection!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Important work in these tough times Gul, keep it up 👍
    I set off before 7am this morning to avoid the peeps. My 6 mile up and down route had a following wind one way and a full on head wind on the return which grew stronger with each of the 4 laps, so pacing was all over the place. I got to half way in 1:37 then gradually picked it up second half for a 1:34, giving 3:11 overall. All things considered it was a comfortable, enjoyable if somewhat lonely effort. Average HR of 135 tells the story. 
    My wife and 3 daughters all ran 6.55 miles to complete their own family marathon. It would have been great to all do it together in Manchester but we will have to save that for another day.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great stuff by you and the family, OO !!    :)  
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice one OO: much more than I have the appetite for right now! 12 brought up 40 for the week plus 2 cycle rides.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Excellent work OO on the 26.2 and good supporting work from the family.  My three sons are a bit reluctant to use their daily exercise allowance at the moment!

Another monster week Gul.  Would you be tempted to do something similar pre London?

Almost there DT - hold your nerve.

A good couple of days running Leslie.

Good work on the recovery runs G-D.

I'm struggling with the motivation like Jools but ground out the 16 miles today in pleasant early evening sunshine to give 70 miles for the week.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    0054 nicely done and very low hr too fair play. Good family effort too. 
    Gul another cracking week from you
    SBD nice 16 in a good week. 
    Struggling with mojo too a mere 27 m for the week and I hope Bojo isn't going to ban exercise! 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - very impressive casual marathon effort and good outing by the family (for daily exercise of course).
    Jools - good week 
    SBD - if 70 miles is struggling with motivation then that's pretty good going. I don't think I could do too many 100 mile weeks in a campaign!
    Leslie - I will be disappointed if an outright ban does happen!
    14 easy miles to start the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I guess it shows we all need races to keep us all motivated but some decent weekly totals. Most of us have a bit more time on our hands, but also more to worry about. Hope you are ok Lesley.
    Stiff legs today 😕
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Cycle ride for me this morning. 

I had to chuckle at 70mpw when unmotivated. That's my absolute max in marathon training!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD, between your poorly motivated 70 mile week and Guls late start at 4.07am, things seem to be falling apart in here!!

Excellent solo marathoning, OO. Sounds like a pleasant family morning!!

At least Leslie seems to have the measure of miles v low mojo.

I went out last night for an easy 2 minutes. Tightened up at around 10 mins but didn't get any worse and was way better than last Mondays effort. More importantly no reaction this morning. Beginning to  think it's more an inflamed nerve now than any tissue damage etc and it's at the stage where running should help it along so will go again tomorrow.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I guess that's good news DT, steady as she goes 👍