Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Big G - I didn't see that footage from Richmond & Hove, but I can imagine it.   I know in Brighton/Hove there are lots of flats, and I suspect it's those without a garden that are more likely to be tempted outdoors.   I know Richmond is a pricey area so might be the same there perhaps.

The police need to be out there today and fine every single person out there for no essential reason.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes, Lambeth council has now closed Brockwell Park, where I've done a lot of training, due to so many people sunbathing yesterday.
    I really, really hope it doesn't come to a complete lockdown as I live in one shabby room with not much space for exercise. It will be like being in jail.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I feel for you Cal :(  Let's hope it doesn't come to it.  Matt Hancock this morning wasn't ruling further restrictions out and he was saying he really doesn't want to restrict exercise, but if he has to, he will.  To me, he did seem frustrated with it.  Nothing really has changed as it's always been a possibility, but seeing the images of sunbathers yesterday was depressing :(  Basically, those areas attract lots of people making it virtually impossible to social distance.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I just saw that part of Matt Hancock's interview on the news.

I'm disgusted at folks behaviour and that's a serious threat to our daily exercise.  Typical lazy idiots that think exercise is walking or cycling to the local park and sitting or lying down in the sun.  Idiotic as they can't see anything wrong with their behaviour, and sad they are being totally selfish.

Same with the shopping, we're allowed out to shop for food but apparently now folk are going out just to buy a can of pop and can't see anything wrong with that either.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    You’ve probably seen that there were no further exercise restrictions imposed at today’s press conference. Phew!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Cal-Really hope it doesnt come to that for you,we really need a spell of bad weather to keep the idiots indoors.
    At the moment I'm really happy I am working,mainly for the security of having a good income coming in,but also the fact that we will never be shut down and I can always go out to work.
    Big G-Thats another good week completed.
    Managed 9 miles after work to being up 44 for the week,bit less than I wanted but I took an extra rest day,nice weather but very windy,only bonus was that it was behind me on the long uphill home.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I saw today's briefing.  I think if we can get through Easter without more folk breaking the rules, that will be the test.  Apparently there were less folk flouting the rules today.  2 people are going to court re having a barbecue on Hove beach yesterday.  I think the forecast is good for Easter unfortunately.

Ian - Although I feel guilty (briefly) about you and your colleagues having to work so hard, it is better as your life is almost your usual routine.  It's good that your job is now appreciated and valued.

Cal - I have a plan.  If lockdown becomes more restrictive and we can't exercise then we either have to take a job as a key worker or a voluntary role.   Either would get us out of the house.

I was a bit stir crazy this afternoon so I entered that ultra in November and then I cleaned the oven   :o
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cleaning the oven?!  Crikey Shades!  Yes, let's hope we can get through the Easter weekend. 

Rest day today. OH is still walking to work, so I’ll walk up with her at 8:30 and do a bit extra, getting back for about 10.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - is your OH using her walk to work as her exercise time now?

8 miles for me today, fresh and chilly morning.  We had some rain overnight which has freshened up everything and dampened down the dustiness on the paths as we hadn't had rain for ages.    Saw a couple of runners this morning including the one that blanked me the other day.  I stopped to check the swan's nest was OK, it's very close to the high level of the water, hope they don't lose it.   Anyway the girl ran over the bridge I was on so I looked her in the eye and said 'good morning' and she smiled at me, I'm determined to train up these new runners in runner's etiquette. :) :smile: 

Not good though, I saw 3 cars in 2 different car parks for dog walking purposes :#

Saw my neighbour when I got home, the elderly one.   Anyway she now finally understands social distancing etc, she's just getting over a chest infection, I think her doctor may have given her a good talking to.  But her son is in hospital with Covid 19 and has been very ill, was resuscitated at one point, and as far as she knows he is recovering. 
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Done what is now my usual 11kish yesterday! I've not done anything longer than that since the start of all of this, I intend to do one long every couple of weekends starting from this weekend, my motivation levels are low.

I'll have a look at sportshoes for the Hokas, thanks for the heads up.

I too wear bone conductor ear phone things and I listen to podcasts, I'm pretty sure anyone that saw me running would agree that I am very courteous, I spend most of my time in the middle of the road!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes. Her walk to work takes 30mins, and then 30mins home. In normal times she drives in case she needs to go to Torquay as they’ve got an animal collection there but all non urgent things have been cancelled. If there is an emergency in Torquay she’ll use a zoo car.

I walked with her and then walked to the beach and back through town to home for about 5miles and my exercise entitlement for the day.  Lovely morning out there. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - it's very hard to be motivated to run further until sure that autumn races will go ahead.   But you will keep up a good base level of fitness just doing what your doing, ready for when you start marathon training again.  If you do intend to start doing long runs again, start at a distance that isn't too far, say 12 or 13 miles.

I'm sure you're very courteous when out running wearing your headphones :) 

Big G - it's a joy to walk at the moment with less cluttered roads and good weather, I'm not surprised your OH has ditched the car while she can.

• Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

quick Hoka question, anyone got any views on the Mach 2?

Shades, on the NB fresh foam more, I've noticed a fair bit of wear on the soles already, more than I've saw on any other trainer - just want to give a nice balanced view on them, I love them but the wear seems very quick

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - That doesn't sound good for your neighbour's son. You would have thought she'd be extra vigilant about distancing herself from others, shopping etc seeing how her own son is suffering.
    No, only one of the teenagers has a girlfriend at the moment and he doesn't seem to be suffering too much, just glued on his phone to her all the time which he normally is anyway. His older brother broke up with his girfriend a while ago and is just mainly missing his friends and my daughter's boyfriend is in the spanish army so she's used to not seeing him regularly.

Cal - I wouldn't have thought that they would go so far as to ban any type of exercise. I think maybe the problem has been that in th UK restrictions on going out seem to have been given largely as advice. Over here, it was pretty clear from the start with obligatory paperwork and fines immediately being given which does tend to make you think twice about going out. Personally I feel the large majority of people would have gone along with the confinement anyway, but the clear law enforcement behind has reduced drastically the number of muppets who wouldn't normally have abided by these rules.

Well it's all kicked off here. OH wanted the boys to help clearing and moving stuff yesterday, the 17yo didn't want to help and wanted to walk the dog instead. Ended up in a massive argument, doors slamming, yelling etc with OH stomping upsairs, grabbing son's PS4 console and chucking it on the bonfire pile at which point Fabien jumped out of the window and disappeared off. I was left with the smallest one howling that he didn't want his brother to leave the family, the 15yo barricaded in his room and my daughter on the phone to her friends telling them that finally something exciting had happened after weeks of interminable boredom. My son surfaced later in the evening at his friends flat some 20k away where he'll stay for the time being. Happy days!

Sorry going off subject a bit there.

Anyway, on a running note I had a mediocre 8k yesterday and a better 15k over the windfarm this morning. Lovely sunrise too.

I have also entered La Rochelle to motivate myself  B)
    AND booked a hotel  B)B)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - the Machs are on my wish list too, (it's a long wish list) but I didn't make any notes about them, they do seem to be quite light in weight so might be for faster stuff?

I wouldn't worry about the soles wearing in your shoes, that's totally irrelevant, it's if the cushioning starts to lessen that signifies that they might not be high mileage. 

mamafox - as I've mentioned before my neighbour is incredibly stupid.   She didn't seem that bothered about her son, but she does have enough sense to not phone the hospital, her son's family will contact her if there's any bad news.   I know her son to say hello to, he's very overweight.    I've seen her more upset when a neighbour suggested she learned to park better after she told him to park further away from her car so she could turn her car around.  You could have turned a Bentley in the space between the cars, she drives one of those little Skodas.

Just as well your teenagers are coping well then romance wise.   But never dull in your house, that sounds like a humdinger of a family argument/fracas.

I think if there's going to be any further restrictions here, say on exercise it may be distance from home or to put the hour into the law.   They can't pass a law at the moment as Parliament isn't sitting although in an emergency I guess there's a way round that.    Our lockdown was for 3 weeks initially which ends in a weeks' time, by then they'll have an indication how we're doing.   If it just poured down with rain that would keep the non exercisers indoors.

Great news on entering La Rochelle and the hotel, both refundable I hope. ;)
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Thanks Shades, well they still feel great so maybe I'll put my Hoka purchase off for now. I have a big birthday in the very near future so getting gifts from relatives, everyone asking me what I want!

Mamafox, that sounds an epic feud! I love your daughters response haha

Shades - I'm with you on the weather! waiting on the rain storms to get a peaceful run!

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Blimey, mamafox, rather glad I'm on my own here!  Hope La Rochelle goes ahead.
    Good luck with the shoe purchase, Cozy. I keep looking at Next% but I can't justify it. I also need a new vacuum cleaner, my floor is covered with bits.
    No run today - did 30 minutes of S&C and hauled my laundry down to the launderette. Service washes still going ahead, thank god.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    MF - Bet that was an awesome sight/sound!
    Shades - Happy marathon anniversary!
    Ian - Speedy session there.
    Big G - You really are clocking a good number of miles at the moment.

Saturday I did a 15 miler with 3*3m at MP with 1 mile recovery/normal long run pace. Splits were 6:47/6:47/6:44/6:44/6:50/6:47/6:47/6:42/6:47. Looking at HR that was too fast for MP, but felt OK for that session. Sunday did a 5 miler for a 40 mile week.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-I remember those days well of arguments,luckily they are generally over now.
    12 miles today,one of those days where it felt like I could run forever but i had a few things to do so had to get home,pity as it was a glorious run,weather really nice,not many cars so ran on the road most of the time,seemingly happy people out,and way faster than usual despite not feeling it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey MF, sounds stressful!!  Fingers crossed we're all over this by the time La Rochelle comes around.

Nice run there Ian.  It's great on those occasion where we feel we can go on and on.

Great session there too, Steve.  You've done well to complete to that kind of training with no races in the pipeline.

Politics aside, but it's very bad news about Boris.  Very much hoping he'll pull through.  Strange maybe but the news of him suffering from this virus has brought it home to me more than all the numbers that have been published.  Of course I know it's a very serious situation, but this news has hit home for some reason, probably because I don't know anyone personally (yet) who has had a confirmed case of the virus.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - it's possible that when the lockdown eases in retail we could get a chance for great bargains from the shoe retailers, I'm not sure.  Can't decide whether to hold fire ordering shoes or not.

Cal - good news on the laundry service.  Hope you can get a cheap vacuum so that doesn't dent your shoe budget too much.

Steve - doesn't really feel much of a celebration at the moment with an empty race calendar.  :(

I think you are probably the most motivated of us all sticking to your training plan and doing your speed sessions.

Ian - you're getting some great training done too.
    I've noticed that walkers/runners are also more cheerful when out, I suppose with lockdown they're appreciating some social contact, however brief.

6+ miles for me this morning, hilly route, total climb 465ft.   Different route and I was finding it quite hard early into the run but having looked at the stats mile 2 had a climb of 215 feet, deceptive as was not one big hill but several ups and downs.   Cold this morning and we have a frost.  Beautiful moon which was still quite bright even in daylight.

Get well Boris :'(
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sorry, I wandered off mid post again to make coffee.

I agree with you re Boris, I feel the same way.  His illness has affected me far more than the daily sad news of fatalities.   But I feel like we're in a bubble and because we don't have the same social contact as usual, that chit chat/gossip that we pick up from casual acquaintances is missing, so we don't know who in our circle has been affected by the virus.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I agree - like the man or not, agree with his politics or not, it would be a very bad thing if Boris dies. I hope he survives with a new and very personal perspective on how important the NHS is and allocates more funds to it and its workers in the future. (Although I realise our economy is going to be in the crapper for quite a while after this).

Shades that's a lot of elevation within 6 miles!
    Great sessions, Ian and Steve.

Easy 10 for me this morning, which went well (aside from getting shouted at by a cyclist because I was trying to give another pedestrian enough room on the pavement - can't bloody win!)
    But as I was crossing the last road before my house, 9.94 miles in, I caught my toe on the kerb and stacked it. Fortunately not much damage done aside from my dignity - hand is stinging a bit from where I slapped the pavement, and my second left toe is sore, presumably where I caught it. Same bloody toe I hurt last year when I slipped on the stairs - the bruise has only just grown out of that toe nail, too. Doh.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Great fast running Ian and Steve. I feel tired just reading your posts!

Cozy - Get working on that birthday list!

Cal - Well done on the 10 miler and ouch for the toe.

Shades - That's a fair bit of a climb early into your run. What sort of training plan have you made up now there are no races coming up?
    La Rochelle seem to be confident that the race which is the 29th November will go ahead, if not places can be deferred, and I've paid nothing for the hotel and can cancel the reservation up until the day before and not pay anything so that's all good. Feel more focused that I've got it all booked anyway.

There's one of those super moons out tomorrow, without Googling it now I think it's a pink one or something.

Took one of my runs in the opposite direction this morning. Found it much harder and I was tired so decided to turn it into a base training run with the basic HR figure I had a while ago (125) with the result that I ended up walking a fair bit of it. Dithering as to go back to HR basic training - again - or to try and gradually ramp mileage up.

Saw what I thought was a small snake crossing the road in front of me but it turned out to be 7 (seven!) hairy caterpillars all stuck nose to tail (a bit like elephants) in single file slowly wriggling across. Never seen that before.

+1 for your post Big G.
    Come on Boris

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Blimey, mamafox - I had no idea they even did that!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    MF, great bit of wildlife spotting there!

That's hilly for a 6-miler, Shades.

Cal, well done on the 10.  Bad news on the fall - hopefully the toe behaves.

11 for me this morning.  I had planned to do about 14-15, but I went wrong on a route and ended up cutting a section off that I had planned.  As I was heading back towards home I couldn't face adding another 3-4 on so left it at 11.  Odd isn't it as I'm 100% sure if I'd done the planned route correctly the 14-15 would have been no problem at all.  Anyway, I had a nice run out.  A very quiet route again, so no problem with the social distancing.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'm trying to do a hilly route every other day now, with the lighter mornings I have much more choice of routes.  Didn't expect the climb to be quite so much today.

Hope there's no aftereffects of your fall.

Mamafox - I've not really done much of a plan except for gently increasing the weekly mileage.   I am supposed to be doing a marathon in Ireland in June but can't see that going ahead.  

Glad you're feeling more motivated now you've entered La Rochelle, I do so hope it does go ahead.

Yes, I heard something about a pink moon too.

Wow to the 7 caterpillars, never seen anything like that.   Quite rare to ever see just one caterpillar here.

Wonder if it might be better for you to do base training for a while.  I saw on a weather forecast that tree pollen is increasing now, isn't that the stuff that affects you?  Would be very hard to increase mileage if your hay fever is troubling you.

Big G - I wouldn't have the discipline to add on those extra couple of miles either.   Still a decent run for you though.

I was feeling a bit stir crazy so walked down town to go to Asda.   There's a couple of things on my shopping list I can't get in Aldi.  First time I've walked through the town since the lockdown, really strange.  Some shops have almost removed all their stock, I can't see every one reopening again.  I hope folk that are furloughed realise that for many there won't be jobs for them to go back to.

Had to queue for 15 minutes to get into Asda, that worked well but they allow more than one person per trolley and that doesn't work well as in store they block the aisles.   Shelves all looked well stocked. 

I enjoyed the walk there and back, much less litter around and didn't see a single child.  I suspect the two are connected.  The young say that they want to save the planet but still chuck litter in the street.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    8 miles around Wimbledon common for me this afternoon. Really pleased that niggled all seem to be clearing up including PF which is slowly but surely getting better. Saw a lot of folks sunbathing, sitting around and ambling about clearly not exercising or even walking a dog which annoyed me to be honest. Mood wasn’t helped by some idiot who I stepped off into some bramble for who just kept slowly walking by in the middle of the narrow path without a thanks or nod or anything. I couldn’t help myself and said ‘you’re welcome’. He muttered something about what my problem was to which I said ‘you’ve heard there’s a bit of a bug going around right?’  He looked confused so I went on my way. At this stage there really isn’t any excuse for people not knowing what’s going on and adjusting their behaviour. Anyway am up to 30mpw or so after my 2 wk running break so want to keep very slowly increasing that week by week to steer clear of any injuries again. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G/Shades-It hit me last week when one of my staffs parents and grandad were confirmed,made it feel real.
    Mama-Good news on La Rochelle,I've been looking at lots for the autumn if they go ahead but not booking anything yet I think.
    Cal-Ouch to the fall,hope it heals up.
    RCouture-Defintely a good idea to slisky build up again,not like theres any big rush at the minute.
    Usual 8 odd miles after work,another nice day for running,and felt strong again,going to increase the miles a bit the next few weeks,all being well.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - there are a lot of clueless people like that. People ambling along in the middle of the path or pavement with headphones on or checking their phone...family groups and couples taking up the whole pavement...ugh.
    How busy was it there, out of interest? Some of my long run routes go to the common but I'm not keen on running into big groups of people.
    Ian, good stuff.