My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, I once looked after a friend's British Blue - lovely cat although she was very shy and spent several days cowering under my bed before I lured her out with Dreamies. She eventually got used to me and would come to sit on the bed. They're very plushy, like teddies.

I almost took today off as that lump under my foot I think is a plantar fibroma was a bit sore this morning, plus I woke up feeling really groggy. After sitting in front of the PC for hours I decided to do a bit of yoga and that perked me up, so I went out for a run at the ridiculously late time of 11:30 or so.
    I ended up running 9 miles (actually 15K in the end), albeit at a slightly easier pace than yesterday (though there were still a couple of sub-10 miles in there. The foot didn't bother me on the run - I guess I feel it more padding about my flat in bare feet. I'll be keeping tabs on it but nothing to be done for now - no point going to the docs in the current situation.
    There were a lot more people about so I had did my best to avoid the busy common paths and dived into the road a few times on the side streets.
    I was really annoyed with one couple I had to pass during the last mile or so. It was either go over the railway bridge which has a really narrow bit of path with a fence, so impossible to avoid walkers there, or duck back through the woods on the common. I saw a couple walking ahead of me taking up the width of the path so I said "excuse me please"...no reaction...so said it again a bit louder...still no reaction...then "EXCUSE ME! PLEASE!" and they moved slightly but not enough for me to keep a 2m gap...then told ME to keep my distance. WTF! Idiots.
  • Cal - great to hear that you got out and got some mileage under your belt, especially with 9 miles. Even better that your foot didn't hurt either! Does frustrate me how inconsiderate people are who are walking out and about.

A hilly 3.2 miles on a new route today. Blew up after the first mile (again?! D'oh!!) but still managed about 8:17mm so happy with that.

Then went back out immediately afterwards and did the route in reverse - a lot more downhill but also a lot slower - I was pacing my fiancée all the way round. She ran the first 2.4 miles without stopping, a PB for her, and she walk/jogged the last 0.7 miles which is up a steep hill. We averaged about 12:30mm but my goodness I am freakin' proud of her! 

My two aims this month are to run 100 miles, and to run every day for at least a mile. So far, that's day one done; 6.4 miles down...93.6 miles to go!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Cal - I need to get out half an hour or so before sunset, rather than run by autopilot on beach & trails.  Headtorches are OK but I lose the important contours!  Well done on your 15k, in spite of the foot issue.

LTT: Dunlop Green Flash, rugby shorts & shirt when I first started!  The blue cat sounds interesting.

MalMal: hurrah for new routes - and for new triumphs!

Around 8pm, I 'trailed' up to Burbo Bank, then u-turned and ran a good mile along the beach, having a 'moment' when the soft sand/mud by the radar station threatened to claim me for their own!  :-o  Grubby shoes - a small price to pay for the first 50-minute outing since last year's pause.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Linton, this pandemic might be the start of a new boom in running and healthy living.

Malteser, has your partner just started running?- well done anyway.

Cal,obviously they thought the path belonged to themselves.There must be little arguments all over the place regarding the 2m rule.

Swittle,well done on your 50 minute outing,you'll soon be breaking the 1 hour mark.I remember Dunlop Green Flash well,my Mum used to buy mine from the local Woolworths.My first proper running shoes when I was a kid were Hi Tec Silver Shadow,I used to pretend I was Seb Coe.

First run in ages yesterday evening,just a 5.2 miles along the canal.Polly behaved herself and only came across another couple running.Good to be ruuning and outside.Only bad thing is just below my left knee,where the bone sticks out a bit,it's very sore to touch and I'm not sure why.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha, I just read someone's comment on Facebook that the way to get people to exercise was to tell them to stay indoors!
    Glad you got out, JD. Your knee might be sore because you've been sat on your bum for a few days. My right knee is tight and cranky for the same reason (doesn't hurt at all when running but it complains if I try to do a lunge or similar.
    Or possibly you've banged it and forgotten about it. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Nice running, swittle!

Good goal, Malteser. I'm hoping to average 40 or so miles per week so I can do 2020 miles for the year, but we'll have to see how this situation develops, I guess.

10 miles for me today. I'd been thinking about going back to Streatham Common for some hills (downs as well as ups, since I really suck at descents) as I'd not done it since last summer. It does get super muddy there, but as Tooting and Clapham are now dry, I figured it would be OK.
    I did two big laps (which include the main common and the cross country bit down the back and up through the woods) and one smaller lap of the main common only, so there were five big ascents. There was a little bit of mud on the cross country bit but I was able to skirt around it fairly easily.
    Interestingly, the climb up through the woods now has some steps built into it. That didn't make it any easier, mind you!
    My slowest mile, which had both climbs in it and 58m of elevation gain, was 11:13. I've been well over 12 min/mi before on that bit (though it was likely muddier than) so that was actually quite quick, considering.
    But I averaged 10:24 for the entire run which isn't bad at all. Pretty happy with that.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Glad to read that you're back running, JD1.  You've just caught that bone by surprise, maybe.  :)  Ah, kit memories - my 2nd pair of shoes, 'proper' running ones, was Silver Shadows - and didn't I think I looked a toff in them!  I built up quite a collection of head- and wrist sweat bands in those days....

Great mileage, with additional difficulty factor of hill reps.  It's strengthening rather than pace that reaps the benefits in such sessions, I find, Cal.  

• Hopefully not a tendon issue JD.  Good you are out and about again - Polly must have been missing the outings.

Can't remember my first pair of running shoes unfortunately. 

Great running from Cal and Swittle and from MalMal's financee too.

Hills are hard work (up and down) but do give you a good bit of extra strength.  Much prefer to run them than cycle - feet have many more gears.  

Like the idea of MalMal.. Enjoy the streak (swittle is a bit of an expert on these..).

Out for similar distances the last couple of days - around 7 miles.  Tuesday was a make it up as I went along route taking in windy fields rather than sheltered woods (less people).  Yesterday was a tentative attempt at some minor speedwork.  Warm-up to a flat and decently surfaced loop around a local field, then 6 progressive laps and trot home for a cool-down.  Doing the laps helped me to concentrate and not speed up too quickly and run out of steam.  Will try that again soon and do more laps at each pace.  Lovely weather here at the moment now the wind has dropped - hopefully everyone will continue to behave over the next few days so that we don't get harsher lockdown measures.

Take care all.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Interesting approach to your speed sesh, Hazel - hope it pays dividends.
    True, I was once a most zealous advocate and adherent of streaking - and, like most activities, continued because I *could* and because I enjoyed it.  However, it was at the expense of any truly targeted training.  Moreover, I probably will never know how much or little it contributed to my last long layoff.  
    [end of serious post]
  • JD - my partner is very much new to running and only feels comfortable on a treadmill. Even then, she only runs 3km before needing to walk. She can't keep up with my pace as I'm 3mm quicker but we want to run together - hence why I run a lot slower, so I can be her personal coach, help her pace, keep her motivated.

Cal - I could only dream of doing those numbers! I thought my initial goal of 500 miles this year was a bit too optimistic but with this lockdown I may just be able to bring it back.

Tempo 5km today on the same route as yesterdays slower session. Blew up in the first mile running a full minute faster than I should have at 7:46mm (I swear I will never learn). Obviously paid for it in the last mile, facing a steep hill when I had nothing in the tank from not having eaten much all day, but still got round in a reasonable time of 26:33 so pleased with that.
  • Good tempo MalMal..  Hmm did you do a warm-up or just get stuck in to it?  Would definitely recommend doing a couple of gentle miles with some strides before the fast stuff then it won't be such a shock to the system.

First time in a while that I'm not training to some sort of a plan swittle - will hopefully do me some good to put in the odd bit of speedwork so the legs don't forget how to do it.  Mixed with plenty of hillage to liven things up. 

6 miles again yesterday evening - easy paced trot around the local fields again.  Plenty of paths and minor roads to choose from.  A lot of people out for the time of day - will really make the effort to get up early over the weekend as everywhere is likely to be packed due to the weather.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I do remember my first shoes although I don't remember the brand name - they were cheap trainers I had for PE (I was 16) and came from a regular shoe shop.
    Nice speed session, Hazelnut.
    Good work, Malteser - it is hard to pace yourself when you're on your own, I find. Had a bit of that myself today.

After a supremely lazy day yesterday (going to the shops was my only exercise, so I only racked just over 2000 steps) I decided I would have a bash at the virtual parkrun league I set up for my club (I wasn't feeling well enough to do it last week).
    Actually managed to get out just after 6 - due to the clock change I've struggled to get out before 7 this week - so did a warm-up mile first on the way to the flat road triangle I sometimes use for tempo training. Almost came a cropper when I tripped over a paving stone less than 100m into the run - still not sure how I stayed upright because I swear I was so far forward I was doomed, but eh.
    Also passed two lads tagging the railway bridge on Tooting Common so got a lung full of spray paint. Nice.
    Anyway, got to the triangle, restarted my watch and went off. I've always had trouble hitting race pace on my own but I was happy to run just under 8 for the first mile and again for the second. I slowed a little for the third mile then pushed for the finish. Watch said 24:59 but I fumbled saving it so came out at 25:07 - hopefully my clubmate who is collating the results this week will be kind and give me my actual time.
    While I have run faster parkruns, I am super happy with this for a training effort (especially before 7am when I'm still a little stiff).
    Did a mile cool-down back home and had a look at the lad's work. I don't think Banksy has anything to worry about.
  • Went for 4.5 miles last. Soo sore and soo aching from four tempo runs back to back. 

Next couple will be easy/slow.

Got to go as virtual pub quiz and beers over Zoom with my mates later, and must source some good questions.  There will be at least one runnin question!
    Have a nice day all.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, you need to do some easy runs - it's never a good idea to do two hard workouts in a row, let alone four! That way injury lies!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    MalMal: how about looping round and back?  You can still guide and maintain your pace.

Distancing while out running seems to be becoming more of an issue: those who are town bound have more of a problem than those with thinly populated, often off road areas.

Cal: that moment when the trip becomes a fall knots my stomach!  Good sesh in spite of that.  :-)

Linton: just what Cal said! ^  And that from an addicted streaker!

Friday night, I enjoyed a light breeze, a sprinkle of drizzle and acres of space to myself -trails past the leisure centre, over Burbo Bank and turning at the old coastguard station.  A good 1.5 miles along the tide line, a struggle over the dunes and back to my start.  Pace a little sharper but yet to see a 10:xx.  Breathing steadier.  Knee tired but pain free...and almost 100 miles for the year!!
  • MalteseMalteserMalteseMalteser ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hazel - we do a static stretches warm up before going straight into the run. My partner's running pace is more like a jog, and she says if she went any slower she'd basically be walking.

Cal - having a lazy day is good for you I find every once in a while! I find it helps me relax (albeit maybe a bit too much at times!). Shame to hear about the mouthful of spray paint, that's never nice. I find I get a few lungfuls of weed on my running routes and I hate how it messes up my breathing.

Swittle: I've considered looping, but she doesn't feel comfortable running completely on her own and I find looping screws me up a fair bit at times from experience (then again, those times everyone else was running a lot quicker). I think she genuinely feels more comfortable by my side, and just having those words of encouragement, knowing that she's doing good - if I stick to her pace, she can't run to keep up with me and therefore doesn't blow up way too early. I'm also able to use it somewhat as a warm down, too.

Yesterday: Ran a tempo 4.2 miles on a new extended route to the 5km that my partner and I do. A bit hilly, but rather enjoyable. Then came back and took my partner to do the 5km. She ran the first two miles at a consistent 11:30mm pace, so faster than Wednesday. Still walk/ran the last 0.75 miles up a massive hill but she did it almost a minute quicker. She was very happy.

Today: Ran loops to make 4.2 miles total. Really hilly, but managed 8.37mm so pleased with that. Hammies, calves and knees have been aching the last few days with the Run Every Day challenge, but I'm just trying to do 3.1 miles a day as a minimum. Trying to ascertain whether I could do 125 miles this month but I reckon that may be a bit too far - 100 miles is appearing to be quite a challenge as it is!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    MalMal - yes, I understand completely.  Oh, you might mention to your partner that she's running faster than I am atm!  ;-)
    When I was streaking, it was 1 mile a day minimum, no slower than 15 min/mile.  One of those was a 'streaksaver', and it's far from uncommon to build one or more in as a quasi rest day.  I'd do a slow mile before a running event, for example.  Alternating easier & more demanding sessions was also part of my approach.  Streaking certainly stacks up the mileage: I made 243 miles one December to hit 2000 miles for the year!  :-o
  • You almost sound like Yoda there Cal but certainly agree on 4 x tempo in a row is too much. I would be careful doing 2 back to back and normally would leave at least 2 days of easier running between two hard sessions. Great solo run. Yuck to the paint.

Try us on your questions LTT..

Good news on the knee swittle. 243 isn't a number I have managed so far.

Good progress for both of you MalMal. Run/walk up the hill is a good idea. Much better than run-stop.

Just short of 12 miles yesterday evening on surprisingly tired legs. Maybe too much hillage the last few days. Remembered to look around and spotted some lovely violets in the woods. This morning 5.5 with some strides on better legs. Out before the masses and enjoyed the crisp air, will try to repeat tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Malteser - hills are always going to make you ache more!
    Nice running, Hazelnut - similar experience for me today with the tired legs.

My own run was half really nice and half not so nice. I was going to do a longer run today (not long long, but 14 miles or so) and decided on going back to the Wandle Trail as it would be dry now (which it was). One of my long run routes is up the Wandle Trail to Morden Hall Park, then I divert down to South Wimbledon and on to Wimbledon Common. This time I came out of the park, crossed the road and found another park where the trail continued. I carried on down the trail for much longer, really enjoying it, although I wasn't quite sure where it came out. Ultimately it ends up in Croydon, but I didn't want to go quite that far so when it came to a bit where I'd have to cross a road, I took the road instead. I found myself by Mitcham Common and was quite tempted to do a bit of that, but I wasn't quite sure which bit of Mitcham Common it was (it's rather big and I only really know one bit of it) and I was also getting a bit thirsty. I take water for longer runs but I've run up to 15 miles without, but it was starting to get rather warm.
    At this point I didn't really know where I was going - I had a rough idea of where I was but I don't know Mitcham well so I was literally using the sun to navigate. I was also starting to get low abdominal pains, which I've had before (notably towards the end of Kingston half) so I decided I wouldn't run further than I had to.
    Eventually I found my way back to a road I knew and made my way home from there. 12 miles total, though it seemed longer. It's funny how I can run 12 miles around local roads and it doesn't seem that far, but when you run somewhere new it seems a lot further.
    I did feel tired towards the end, though I expect that I was probably a bit dehydrated. I will take water next time.
    Nice to explore a bit, though - saw two herons, a coot with her chicks and some bluebells.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mitcham Common could be an option for another day then Cal. Must have a look on Google Maps to see where you were out and about, I'm not that familiar with London.  Might have a good old-fashioned A-Z somewhere.  Good navigation and know the feeling about distances in unknown territory.

16 mile long run today pre breakfast. Unlikely to go further than that at the moment but one of that length every few weeks won't hurt. Included a couple of quicker miles for fun. Nice to be out early again as quite warm here now.  A few people more than usual but I think most were enjoying a lie-in long or long breakfast. Reports of busy mountains are a bit worrying though. Some popular spots have been closed to the public. If people are not careful then everything will be. Would like to go on a jaunt out of my local area myself but I won't.
  • Cal - I think it's nice to be exploring new areas and roads, albeit when you have an idea of where you are going. May not have been as long as you'd have liked but at least you have another route you can use at some point in future. Bet it was lovely seeing the wildlife too.

Hazel - good going on the long run. I could never run without food in my stomach, especially that far! 

Cal, I read your post before going out to do my 4 miles thinking 'do I take water with me?' I decided against it, as I can run 6-8 miles without water. As it happened, I almost came a cropper after running up a steepish hill at the 2 mile mark and exerting too much energy getting there (my first mile was 7:15mm and the second was 8:17mm!). Heat got to me after the hill though, and I struggled up the next two hills and along the flats, my third mile coming in at 9:31mm and the fourth eight seconds even slower. I wonder what improvements (if any) there would have been if I had taken water.

Did run past a police car with its lights and siren blazing. Flashed its headlights at me as it turned into a road that I was about to cross up the steep hill. Gave me a heart attack - thought they were going to stop me for using up my daily exercise token! 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    In UK, exercising outdoors may be the next step in ramping up the lockdown.  Mr Hancock has spelt it out.  Meanwhile, Scotland's chief medical officer has apologised for travelling to a 2nd home with her family, in contravention of instructions issued by herself.  Some Scottish politicians say her position is now untenable.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I ran around Mitcham last summer, Hazelnut, but it's one of those commons which seems to be in sections due to roads so I think there's definitely more to see.
    swittle - I really hope not, my flat is tiny. People in flats are going to suffer as we have no way to get out unlike people with gardens. My exercise space is the size of a small yoga mat.
  • 4 miles, still sore! few days off needed. Managed to only see 3 dogwalkers.  Agreed, thrashing runs out isn't a great idea, but it is helping me unwind slightly. Also I wanted to try and get a 5:xx mile at some point.  There was a Golden Mile event in Kent I wanted to do, but that's obviously cancelled now.

I'm worried about outdoor exercise being banned, that would suck, I'd have to do laps at work of something, which would be weird.  The pictures of Brighton were not great , people still being selfish.

Nice run Malteser, yes it was bloody hot today, also hungover.

What is Streaking swittle? I saw my whole Uni rugby team streak at last orders once..

Great long runs Hazlenut and Cal,  I saw a Dabchick.  I have until the end of April to do a virtual half marathon. I hope my GPS app doesnt play up, as I need it for evidence I've done it.

Last night's virtual pub quiz and beers was a great laugh and nice to see my mates.  Zoom worked well for all but my mate whose moved to Skipton with archaic internet.

Questions? I prepared a lot here's a sample, much abbreviated.

Kenya and Ethiopia have produced great runners, but which has most Olympic gold medals?
    In which sport would it be unfortunate to catch a crab?
    The 3 peaks challenge..England, Scotland, Wales... .what are they?
    Year of Battle of Trafalger?
    To nearest 100, species of sharks.
    4th most populated country in the world.
    Capital City round.
    Identify the country by shape.
    Observation round with Youtube clips

A good time was had but the answer quality diminished as the beer flowed.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Linton, streaking is a term for running every day.  The late Ron Hill, Commonwealth Marathon medallist, 2nd man ever to go under 2:10 for the distance and founder of a v successful clothing firm, said that he ran every day for well over 52 years.

Y'day evening, 55 minutes of trail & beach, tussling with a 20mph S wind, which was more help behind!  Just tipped over the 100 miles for the year. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, I think it won't come to that - I hope not anyway. I'd be reduced to crawling through the bathroom window to do shuttle runs on the roof outside. Not ideal, and it would probably annoy the downstairs neighbours.
    Nice one, swittle.

Easy 10 for me this morning and it was really lovely out. It'll be time for shorts soon (although I guess a lot of you are already in them).
    Went well until I was coming back down the road to my house, whereupon I tripped on a kerb and stacked it. Not much damage aside from to my dignity, but the toe I caught on the kerb is a bit sore, and it's the same bloody toe I hurt going over on the stairs last year. The black line has only just grown out of that toe nail, too!
    After nearly falling on Saturday and catching my feet a few times on Sunday I think I need to sort myself out!

• Cal, I tend to run every day in shorts now - too warm for leggings. I may wear leggings if I have no shorts, or if I'm going for a longer run.

Tempo 3.1 miles for me yesterday followed by a warm down 3.1 miles with my partner for her tempo run. I'm now at 109 miles for the year! Streaking has taken its toll on my body though - my ankles and legs are feeling really rather sore, so I may go out and do a long run tonight then only do a pacer 5km with my partner tomorrow as somewhat of a slow run.

First two miles of yesterday's tempo run were sub 8 minutes...yikes! No wonder I suffered on the hill at the last mile! That's about a minute per mile quicker than where I should be!
  • Definitely shorts weather here.  Almost could have done with the lightweight race ones yesterday evening.  Hope it isn't the start of yet another boiling hot summer - could do without it. 

Ouch to the toe Cal.  Glad no more bruises than that. 

You are doing well MalMal. 

Rare Monday outing for me yesterday evening.  Just a slow 5km.  I'd spent half an hour on the turbo beforehand to test something out on that and discovered that the combination wasn't popular with my legs.  Don't know how the triathletes do it.  I did have a good half an hour between the two as well.        
  • Hi guys, I’m sorry if my post is irrelevant to context but I cannot for the life of me find a new post option, 
    I was hoping you could help from or give advice on my running I’ve just started and hit a problem. <div>
    </div><div>I used to run every week 2-5 years ago, not massive distances, 3-5 miles mostly.
    over past couple years I’ve lost touch of my fitness for a few reasons and become very unfit, I have an office job so any high intensity training has been null. </div><div>
    </div><div>During these tough times, I have managed to get myself back to running, I’ve only done 5 runs, each between 1-2 miles (very unfit now) but I’ve been enjoying it so much and that feeling after the run is certainly something that ive missed and needed for sure. </div><div>
    </div><div>I have woken up this morning with my coccyx in complete agony, a constant sore pain with no position possible to alleviate the pain, to the point I’ve gotten quite unusually emotional and it’s severely stressing with just hours into the day. </div><div>Running is now out the question as I’m battling to stand and sit, but,

have I just overdone the running from such a long absence? I’m guilty of not warming up or down also, have you any experience or this injury and when can I get back running? </div><div>I’m desperately frustrated and angry about this. </div>
  • Hey GonnaRunna, welcome to the forum! You can't make a new thread until you have commented 10 times. Whilst I have absolutely no experience with your injury, I would think that the cause of it is from your running posture more than anything if it's in your coccyx.

Day 7 of my Run Every Day challenge and I decided to run a half marathon (what is wrong with me?!). First 7.5 miles were strong, and the first 8 miles were all under 9mm pace but then the last 4 miles were a nightmare, and I was seriously flagging in the last mile and a half (all uphill - about 10:45mm pace). Somehow managed to make it all the way back without stopping and finishing in under two hours!! Pretty pleased with that, especially as I never stopped (sure, okay, it was along a towpath so it was fairly flat).

I can't feel my legs now though, my left shin is killing me and my calves are screaming. Does anyone have any tips? Plan for tomorrow is to just run a 5km with my partner. It'll be around 11:30mm pace so super slow, and I'm going to try and use that as a recovery run.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Lots of great running going on.First run today since Thursday,still not 100%,but managed to get out first thing this morning and did 8.27 miles.Felt hard even though I wasn't pushing the pace.Going to give it a miss tomorrow and just go for a walk with girls instead.Hope whatever I've picked up will disappear soon.

Really hope they don't tell us not to exercise outside because of a tiny minority of idiots,like Cal said it would be really hard on people who live in flats without a garden.

Hope your back injury clears up soon Gonnaruna

Well done on your challenge Malteser.Do you have a foam roller?Like you said just take it easy tomorrow.