Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising DT.

I'm not surprised the legs are stiff OO!  McMillan had an interesting article on the importance of having some form of "race" to give closure to the marathon specific training and allow you to move to a new phase.  I've treated Bath HM as my end of phase race.  What are your training plans for the next few months?

To do back to back 100 mile weeks shows your body is pretty resilient to the mileage Gul.  I'd be tempted to throw a few of those in pre London.

Don't let all that good training go to waste Leslie - just keep getting out there and getting the miles in.

I'm planning another unmotivated 70 miles this week.  This evening was a steady 7.5 miles at 8:10 pace with the HR nice and low at 130 bpm.  It's quite interesting how the car dynamics have changed over the last few weeks.  I often feel I now have more right to be running on the road than the drivers have to be using the road.  Whereas they used to give you a "why do you have to run on the road" look you now give them a "is this really a necessary journey" look.  Power to the runners!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The empty roads have been great haven't they SBD. Personally I'm not the best at following plans but I want to stay in good shape for both marathons and 5ks all year round. I'm just not going to push myself too hard though while there are no races to focus on. 

• First phase is a 3 or 4 months endurance base building plenty of slow easy runs and with a weekly tempo run.

Second phase includes targeted endurance work outs 
    Endurance work outs for my next marathon will feature:
    Run a HM race as a fitness test to project potential Marathon race pace.
    10 to 15 mile runs @ 30 to 60 secs slower per mile than marathon pace.
    15 to 20 mile runs @ 60 to 90 secs  per mile slower than pace.

*My cross fit exercises will be walking and easy cycling.
    I will need to  slow down to maintain the paces, running too hard makes the work outs useless and jeopardises the other training.

Every day of training are one percenters, another a small step towards achieving a fitness goal in my case my 10th marathon finish.

• Dropping less than 5 minutes between first and second half marathons is a great run. I could only manage 10 minutes slower between first half and second half as my best return. My legs tired and energy reserves run out, I found it very hard over the final 6+ miles of a marathon. The uphills during the second half seem to be a lot steeper and the miles seem longer after reaching 20 miles.

In my 3 slowest marathons of 4:30, 3:32 and 3:31: I positive split those run by 35 to 46 minutes!
    First marathon I ran in June 2012 I ran 4:30 marathon with splits of 1:52 and 2:38! I managed to run 2 HM races in August in 1:40 and 1:45!

In June 2013, a year after running a 4:30 marathon, I managed to run 3 marathons in 3:15, 3:19 and 3:09 with positive splits of 10 to 20 minutes between first and second halves.

In June 2014 I ran 3:32 marathon with splits of 1:28 and 2:04.  4 months later I managed to run 3:04 marathon that remains my PB with splits of 1:22 and 1:42. 1:22 half split I claim as my Half Marathon PB. My best HM time in a HM race is only 1:25!
    In 2015 I did not run any Marathons or Half Marathons but recorded my best Park Run time of 16:48 and I ran 3 times under 17 minutes, hence the user name Sub17ParkRun.

In June 2016 I ran a 3:31 marathon, half splits of  1:28 and 2:03.  I believed that running sub 3 hour marathon was going to happen despite only training and running Park Runs and no focus
    4 months later I 3:05 marathon with

In October 2017 my 9th marathon I ran 3:20 with half splits of 1:30 and 1:50. I had ran 80 times under sub 18 minutes in Park Run and 100+ times sub 18:30 in Park Run but I never broke 3 hours in a marathon. I ran my last sub 18 minute Park run at the end of 2017 and have been stuck on 39 first place finishes in my Park Runs.

Now I am shadow of my former self and struggle to break 23 minutes in my Park Runs. My weight is 170 pounds,  15 pounds heavier than I set my best Park Run times when I weighed a mere 155 pounds on a 5'10" frame.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - how are the legs today?
    DT - hope the improvement continues.
    SBD - nice low HR.
    Sub17pr - are you able to do any running at the moment?
    Slightly late up after spending half the night discussing plans to knock down the garage and build an extension. So another 14 easy miles 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Feeling better Gul but will rest again to be on the safe side. 
    Very impressive speed sub 17. I usually get 2-3 sub 18 5k each year but clearly you are capable of much more when on form. You definitely are capable of a sub 3 marathon, but not your immediate priority I guess. It took me over 20 marathons to get there and the key for me was higher mileage, 3-4 marathons a year, and some weight loss. I was also in my 50s so don't give up on it. Just enjoy the journey and chip away slowly. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    8.5 miles with 6 X 1km off 2 minutes. K reps were slow (ave 4.04s) but still a good workout
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Shedding my weight from 170 pounds down to 155 pounds.
    I will need  to stick to 2 meals per day and run, walk and cycle more miles to build my fitness back up.
    Reducing dairy, gluten, sugar and alcohol,  I believe are key for weight loss.
    Diet is the biggest thing that I must control and watch what I eat and avoid alcohol and limit my calorie intake.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    More base building today. 6 easy miles on the trails. Decided on a rest day yesterday rather than persue a running streak that means very little. I have the perfect chance here to gradually build a new base and so lots of strength work in the garden before the VLM20 campaign begins in June. 
    The knee issue I had before all this madness is almost gone, so easy does it is the right approach. 

I know what you mean about the weight stuff Sub. I'm 6' 1" and got a PB in London last year (3.01) when I got down to my lightest race weight of 12st 8lbs.
    I'd like to go lower in weight as I will get faster but even at that weight I had comments saying I was too thin.
    Plus there's no way I'm giving up beer!!  :D

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I realised last night that my Bupa might be able to assist with my back. Called them last night and authorised 5 physio sessions. Annoying I didn't think about that option sooner.

Anyway, I managed to get a video call appt for this afternoon. Having watched me perform various movements and ask various questions, she thinks it's a bulging disk on the lower left and that I have  a weakness on the right that has caused my left to over compensate.

She has given me several exercises perform and we have another apt  Thursday, just to make sure that is all correct before the long weekend. In answer to the million dollar question she initially said 4 weeks. I then pressed her and said that was hopefully worst case and if I can smash the exercises and respond well it could be 2 weeks.

Frustrating as i've seen 3 other people face to face and not got that answer.

Sub 17, yes i'd say 155lb is a decent weight at 5'10. Looks like you've gone out too aggressively on your previous attempts.

Nice 14, Gul and decent enough session, Jools.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SBD enjoy owning the road ! will have to try and move up a gear again myself !
    SUB 17 your lack of mara paced long runs is showing up with you running out of gas in the second half time after time ( Id count 30 mins slower as a mara disaster ) You could have easily been sub 3 long ago going by those numbers in that 1:22 half in 2014 if the first half was say 1:28 ...Remember the old rule each min too fast in the first half costs 2 mins in the second half !!!!!!!!! 
        Sounds like you have had a big slowdown but I don't think your weight is the main issue here rather a lack of fitness assuming you are not injured ? and training more will sort the weight anyway but if you want to be good at marathons then you need to think specific mara training not 5k's . Do the longer runs at an easy pace first, build fitness and you can add pace later (just my opinions ) 
    Jools nice fast reps !
    Gdawg you would give up beer for a 2:59 don't lie lol
    DT a bulging disc doesn't sound too good ,hope you can get it sorted.

Near 7m yesterday and even tried   a little tempo today 5 with 2 m at 7:05 and 7:11 , with no tempos in 3 weeks these were a struggle  ..........but will soon come back.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good news DT hope the advice is correct. Gave up my private medical insurance when I retired- probably need it more than ever now 😉
    Good going guys. I had a rest day with a short bike ride. First time this year and really enjoyable on those empty roads....
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    DT - good to get a hopefully correct diagnosis, plenty of folks manage to run with a bulging disk, doing the right pilates/exercises will be key.

Leslie - well said, folks get the marathon result their preparation deserves, again and again even.

Dawg - sounded tough, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Im ticking over ok, im reluctant to let my fitness slip, as it took me a long tine to get in decent shape again.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    You've earned the rest day OO!

Good tempo miles Leslie.

Hope the diagnosis is correct DT and you can be back running soon.  Interesting the way physios have moved to video analysis,  Not so easy for sports massage therapists!

Good base building G-D.

Given your 5K speed Sub17 a Sub 3 marathon should be a breeze.  You just need to train for the distance and work on the race day pacing.  A bit of weight loss always helps as well.

Good 1K reps Jools.

A steady 10 miles early evening.  At least the running conditions are very pleasant at the moment.  My lack of motivation at the moment is really frustration at the ongoing niggles which are still lingering despite a couple of weeks of easy running.  Normally, the sports massage would help but that's unfortunately out of reach for a while.  As an experiment, I ran a little faster tonight, so 7:30 pace after the first couple of miles.  Niggles probably no worse and I feel better for having run a little faster.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    TR, im hoping to make it go away as opposed going on with it. Looking on line, generally speaking with some effort a bulging disk can be resolved in 6 weeks. im 4 in and am far improved from 2 weeks ago. 

Annoyingly i messaged the last guy i saw in person 2 weeks ago who thought it was si joint issue and asked his thoughts. He said he could see the logic in the diagnosis but didnt agree. That's the human body for you, without an MRI no bugger knows what's really happening. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Flying visit. 12 miles. Now off shopping.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    My alarm went off at 6. I fed the cats and I'm faffing around on my phone in bed. Gul is super human!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - need to find a new home for my bike if the garage conversion goes ahead. Not that I've had it out of the garage for a LONG time...
    Jools - nice to do some intervals. 
    sub17pr - I'm sure you'll soon shed those extra few pounds if you cut back on sugar and booze and build up nice and steady.
    GD - my weight is currently fluctuating between 154lbs (after a run) and 162lb (before bed) :) Easy with that gardening - it's a killer!
    DT - all sounds very positive. Just make sure it's all resolved before resuming normal training. I'm sure you will be patient and disciplined.
    Leslie - good to remind the body what a tempo run is like :)
    TR - yes, keep on plugging away.
    SBD - hope you can shake those niggles. Do you usually get much exercise, e.g. walking, other than your running? I'm missing my walks to and from work.
    Sat here in the conservatory working from home, listening to Miss GD the younger practising Elton John songs on the piano. I will try sitting outside later when there's a chance of seeing my laptop screen!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good faffing, Jools. I am an expert of faffage, world class. 
    Hope the disc is getting better each day, DT.

I’ve never been able to grow face fur of any decent quality. Even at 52 I only shave once or twice per week. I’m currently giving it a go on the facial fuzz, can’t remember when I last had a shave. Alas it looks like I have a scraggy cat on my chin, but I’ll persevere.

4 miles on the road today, no real speed. Already planned a trail route for tomorrow.

Officially on holiday this week, doing some decorating. Have got into a habit of having wine every night. I’m on holiday, OK!!??
    Need to break that habit next week...
    edited April 2020
    October 2020 marathon cancelled, let's make it October 2021. I will run 2 marathons the following year in 2022 in August and in October.
    18 months to my next marathon and gradually build my fitness to run at a decent marathon. Cycling and walking are great for recovery and building fitness. I will need to find the spark/interest again and find the motivation to run on a consistent basis instead of once or twice a month.

Sub 3:30 is my marathon time goal but I will be happy with any marathon finish under 4 hours. I also want to reach 250 Park Runs and I look forward to running Park run again on a weekly basis and I will need to volunteer for Park Run and work towards the 25 purple volunteer. I will volunteer as tail runner so I can walk some Park runs and get counted as volunteering.

edited April 2020

I am inspired by Kobe Bryant and his out of this world work ethic. He woke up at 3am every day and training 4 times per day. His work ethic and talent enabled him to play in the NBA for 20 years: 5 NBA titles, an MVP, 2 NBA Finals MVPs, 18 All Star games, 2 Olympic Gold medals and he won an Oscar. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the hols GD. I'm also up on my usual alcohol intake, it's tough not to, especially while the sun is out and I'm in the garden. I've done something strange to my hip during the bike ride and can barely walk today, let alone run as planned. Can't do any harm to rest I suppose.
    Impressed you can plan that far ahead sub17.
    Nice faffing Jools, keep up the good work.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Haven't been able tor read recent posts, but just swooping through to post this link https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

I haven't looked up the actual paper to see if it is well done, but food for thought when you are out on your bike or running. Beware the slipstream!

Crisp subLT down by the lake during a headlamp aided night run last night. Felt good, but also strange as it was as if the world was empty of all but me.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Just popping my head out of isolation to report my entry to the virtual road relays - a massive struggle to clock 18:56 on an average course. Good enough for B team it seems
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Interesting article VT - I don't come across many other runners so it's the supermarket environment that concerns me more (my other half is stranded in New Jersey, so shopping is down to me!).  Good subLT run from you.

Hope the hip is a one-day issue OO.

I was on a one-day a week drinking regime pre lock-down - that seems to have become a just a bottle a day regime since lock down.  Clearly, we're a bunch of alcoholics that need running races to control our intake!

Good early miles Gul and nice piano playing from your daughter.  Work is a 11 mile drive but I usually walk to the supermarket on a lunchtime to grab some food.  I'm still going in to the office a couple of day a week but missing out the mid-day walk.

A steady 12.5 miles pre-sunset.  Conditions very pleasant, even a tad on the warm side.  Played the keep the pace below 5.00 m/km game and just squeezed under by 17 seconds.  Various niggles still in the background but I'm hoping they'll get bored and disappear soon!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - enjoy the DIY holiday :) Mrs GD opened a bottle of wine yesterday to make a chili con carne, so if course it needed tasting ..
    Sub17pr - nice plan and very inspiring man.
    OO - hope a bit of rest is all you need.
    VTr - will read the article later, thanks.
    Nicko - still a decent effort.
    SBD - sounds like an enjoyable run.
    18 easy miles this morning. Last long run before the solo marathon. Taper time!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Gul I missed your plan for a solo marathon- tell us more. What's the date, route, and target time?
    Vtr I had seen that article which seems common sense, particularly on a windy day.
    SBD, sorry to hear about your domestics. Is your partner going to be away for some time, was it accidental or planned?
    No improvement here, I can barely walk again today. Pain in my hip and lower abdomen. I cant lift my left foot off the ground without pain so I'm mainly shuffling sideways or backwards which looks rather ridiculous. Seems like I'll miss a full week at this rate.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - oh dear, that doesn't sound good. Hope it improves soon. I'm planning on 26.2 on |Sat 25th April which will be 10 years to the day since VLM 2010 - if I can half the time I did on that day (so 3:10), I will be satisfied :) I'm going to start at the Church and run 4 times round a 6 mile loop around my side of the town, followed by a 2 mile loop and 0.2x home to finish. All in time for breakfast, I hope!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a fantastic idea Gul. I did a similar 4 lap route and it works really well for a solo run. 
    By the way 2010 was a significant year for me also. I was moving back from France to UK and did both Paris and London marathons 2 weeks apart. Paris in 3:10 and London 3:11.
    I haven't given up on the idea of of another solo marathon on the 26th called 'not the London Marathon'. Hopefully I'll be fit enough.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’ve haven’t been about for a while but have just had a read back after wondering how you all are. I’m glad to read almost all have stayed well in this weird scary time. I’m so happy for you GD, on coming through it all.

Good luck Gul with your solo marathon!

My running has been going well with two consecutive 1:27 solo marathons over the last two weekends. All the other miles have been 5 or 6 around 8 m/m pace. I’m thinking about going for a 19 mile run this weekend. I will name it the Covid-19miler. :smiley: