Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice sessions in amongst the tens chaps. Shame about your son's birthday TR - maybe his liver will be grateful :smile: 

The roads were lovely and quiet yesterday evening for my bike ride. Well, all except for the feckwit on some sort of souped up mutant motorbike when screaming past me at about 80mph on a country lane! It's odd, as I could hear him for miles after he passed me, but before that he seemed to come from nowhere and scared the bejeesus out of me!

Not sure whether it's just me and the people I work with, but everyone seems to have been particularly irritable today!  Just as well that I'm going for my daily form in a mo......(couldn't manage to get up early enough this morning!).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just a once in a lifetime (we hope!) situation isn't it.

I guess for the furlough-reenos, it's the closest thing you'll ever experience to "Gardening leave", which I dare say all of us have at one point we'd say we'd "love" to experience. Just without the full pay, and ability to go and do anything we want!!

So what's the most valid way forward? Doing something profound, learn a language, philosophise? Do a training course?

Is running a 10miler and relaxing on Netflix, perhaps with a bit of plant watering and cleaning, ok?

Probably yes for a few weeks. It's if this stretches into a few months!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im still at work so im looking fwd to the bank holiday few days off.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Learn to ride a bike SG :wink:

I was supposed to be on leave in the Lakes this week. You can't imagine how joyous the lovely weather is making me now I'm working and still here....

Hey ho, my daily form in the Chilterns aint so bad I guess - there's a lot of folks with a far shittier end of the stick right now!

Was looking for 9 or 10 tonight, butthe legs were clearly not up to it so settled for 8 - which is still my shortest run for 3 weeks! Pace was OK in the end as well.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Cracking volumes Ric, especially on the bike; what made you decide to reach those huge levels and more importantly quit the booze completely!? 

Good stuff TR, SG, Jools and Bus. All seem in fine form and getting through the miles. 

SG you could try some volunteering to the national effort! Its not just altruistic but also gets you out and about a bit. I signed up to a local support group for the elderly and other isolating folk and now have a dog to walk for a couple in their mid 80's for my sins. Not the easiest task as the dog has not been looked after too well by them, as one has Alzheimer's and the other serious physical incapacity! Poor couple; the guy had a fall at home before I went round yesterday as well and needed an ambulance. Not a good situation, but they have to persevere. I also joined the now 750,000 strong NHS volunteers; no jobs though that yet and almost hope they don't come as some sound quite high risk. We'll see and at least you are never compelled to take anything. 

Oh yes forgot this is a running forum; better add something on that subject ;) Today was our first running day since Sat and a very odd one designed by my daughter; was a 1k w/u then 3 sprint hill reps up about an 8% hill followed by a 3k recovery around the Sunningdale golf course (hilly again) before the same 3 hill reps again, then 1.5k w/d home. Hill reps turned into a bit of a race and then realized why they were in the sesh; I am pretty crap at them and she is very good, so can beat me (the 20kg or so lighter weight must help!). All good fun and the w/d was certainly a 'social' pace even if 'social' running is no longer allowed :)

Anyone note the new Parisien exercise restrictions? 1k radius and only pre 10am or post 7pm? Will we see that sort of limit here do people think?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff Pete. Think the nhs volunteers list is closed now due to an incredible response.
    Some tasks do sound risky , others, like ringing people less so.

Imagine boring some oldie with running jibber jabber
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well done on the family running Pete......noted the Paris times, seems reasonable to me either exercise or shopping, both have their own time slot.

Cheers re the nipper, takeaway Dominos was a choice in the end, the boozing with his mates can wait i guess.
  • Nice steady zone there SG, getting sharp.

Happy birthday to junior, TR, hope you enjoy the pizza!

Good work on the cycling and run Bus. Pretty sure the reason the motorcycle crept up on you is because of the Doppler effect (blue-shifted sound), scares the shit outta you. Same reason that sirens sound higher pitched as they approach.

Big mileage there Ric, were you building for anything in mind before the cancellations?

Pete, very admirable on the volunteering front. Hope you reap the benefits of the hills!

Tied last week up at 46 or so miles, which felt plenty enough with doing groundwork in the garden over the weekend. Small session of 10 x 1min (1min) today, averaged 5:25s for the lot, with the last two at 5:15 and 5:05/mi. Felt good to have a good run out, but not sure how it relates to pace zones - would be far to optimistic to think it's near 5km pace. SG, about the 20min hard at 5:49s, that's definitely faster than 10km pace (although it would be nice if it were) - I'd hazard a guess at it being about 8km/5mi pace.
    Nice to keep moving forwards.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Not sure i ever did over 3miles continuous at 5mile pace MH! 
    Could be time for you to get back in the 28xx"s!

And you're doing your 1mins very sharp at the mo.

Just all at the wrong time with no races. Hold on 6months!!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Some good running going on still. Those hill reps sound fun Pete - how long did each rep take?
    You certainly do seem to have got faster whilst awol from the forum MH.
    I finally relented & took the bike for a spin today - 1st time since the school's closed so my legs didn't thank me for the hills I inflicted on them but reckon it was time for a change after 14 consecutive double-digit days. I went to go out on it yesterday but had to abort as the freewheel wasn't working so did a regulation hilly 10M although on a new route. Didn't see a soul the entire time. Spent today in the garden servicing the bike so had to give it an outing after that. Was a lot quieter & smoother :) I was out for about the same time as my usual run, covered twice the distance & doubled the elevation too. Back to running tomorrow.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Re: Pete

Cracking volumes Ric, especially on the bike; what made you decide to reach those huge levels and more importantly quit the booze completely!? 

Had to be done Pete.

Results of a blood test that revealed a compromised Liver, high Cholesterol and a type of anaemia.

I've a benign tumour on my liver, with the possibility it may become a little more active. Best not encourage the process with alcohol. The other items were diet and the side effect of endurance training.

Back to the booze? Once I never drank at all. Then it became a habit, but I haven't been drunk for well over thirty years, or even close. I have my father to thank for that.

When he was here, I feel pride that I never saw him once worse for drink. And once I'd become parent myself, vowed I'd never allow myself to get that way either. It's an undignified condition at the best of times and for someone my age a total embarrassment.

The diet change has led to vastly enhanced training abilities.

This was really a by-product of the original aim, which was to first improve the diet, then reduce my fat levels. And certainly my current diet was not helping. Wrong stuff, too much of it.

Here's a sample of my training log after a few weeks. Electronic scales are a must.

I started at 133 lb's min.

And five weeks later

Something to do during lock down.

🙂

• Interestingly, SG, my old coach always held the opinion that an athlete should be able to TT ~60% of the race distance at somewhere near race pace (i.e. a 5km for a 5mi, 13km for a HM) - it's a case of proper planning with the training before and after, as obviously it's a big training load.

My current coach seems to be keen for me to keep putting the hard work in, as long as we don't overdo it we should continue to reap the gains ready for autumn. I trust him to plan for the long-game, I'm not sure I'd be capable of thinking that far ahead!

Nice cycle there Jools, sometimes it's good to have a change! I'm sure you'll be back to your monster weekly mileage now though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I did plenty of 6min paced 5-6milers on the track. But then id be doing 15-20secs a mile quicker in the race.

To actually boot race pace out for such a prolonged period is huge for your next races.
    I suspect the mix of hilly stuff and life taking over has blunted your potential quite a bit.

With no track access now, I'd have to find a decent bit of road to put some strong reps in, plus have standing recoveries. Perhaps not be doing double digit runs ever day too 😄

Any way, today's 10 was a nice 7.08

Chapman lane for the locals at about 5.5miles. Pretty damn steep, a real pantfest in humidity (it's back!)

Good to get it done...day of loafing ahead after some plant watering!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    You're in top shape MH, no point having a coach snd not trust them, so you're doing the right thing.

Mr 10 again here too today.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Come on guys - 10s are so last week :smiley:

Matt - you're on great form! Just make sure you keep it for when you can next race!

Jools - I'm really enjoying the bike rides as an alternative to running a couple of times a week. The extra distance makes you feel you've been out more, whihc is especially valuable at the moment. Just wish I could stop my bloody disc brake rubbing every time I get out of the saddle!!!

9 for me tonight to keep my 8/9 hilly trend going! Lovely evening, again, but rather warm!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good work BusTRSG.
    Back to hilly running today. 11.6M & 1500ft Pushed a few segments & improved my CR on one moved from 6th to 2nd on another & up to 3rd on another 2. I didn't get out til gone half five & was taken aback by the much higher temperature. Shirt off after only 2M!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Re:Pete, The important stuff.

Any of us,"you could try some volunteering to the national effort! Its not just altruistic but also gets you out and about a bit. I signed up to a local support group for the elderly and other isolating folk and now have a dog to walk for a couple in their mid 80's for my sins. Not the easiest task as the dog has not been looked after too well by them, as one has Alzheimer's and the other serious physical incapacity! Poor couple; the guy had a fall at home before I went round yesterday as well and needed an ambulance. Not a good situation, but they have to persevere. I also joined the now 750,000 strong NHS volunteers; no jobs though that yet and almost hope they don't come as some sound quite high risk. We'll see and at least you are never compelled to take anything".

-------

On your contribution to the wider society Pete? Highly commendable. I imagine in future there will be a raft of honours handed out, MBE's and the like.

My wife and me are helping out with elderly neighbours. Shopping (wife) and in my case, reassuring all the one's that I mow lawns for; and quite a few for whom I don't - yet, that no matter how escaped their gardens get in the current crisis. There's nothing I can't deal with. 

Honda Trimmer  Brushcutter Prices Slashed  Just Lawnmowers Blog
    Stock Picture: Honda Brush-cutter in action.

One of the many gadgets I use in my line of business. 
    Using the 'three spoke steel blade' option on this machine, I scythe through super long grass, easy as you like. 

-----
    Re: Matthew Head:  Big mileage there Ric, were you building for anything in mind before the cancellations?

No,  I wasn't aiming at anything competition wise at all. Tbh, I was more likely training 'away' from competition due to my appalling; relatively speaking', loss of racing ability. 

I mean, when you discover that you blow up in the process of running 1 km on a track, a full half minute 'slower' than your fastest Half Marathon average pace. The idea of racing doesn't quite hold the appeal it once did.

Currently, all races are off anyway. And I'm not sure if many realise that this is a situation that may not be resolved for a very long time. If it can be.

The large public gatherings which are a key feature of many sports? Where does that fit in a world where we may end up social distancing as a basic mode of survival?

🙂

• Ahoy gang. Been reading along for the last few weeks but not posted so apologies for that. Found it hard to adjust to the situation at first but relaxed a bit about everything now and feeling loads better.

Started a new job a day before the full lockdown started so I've been doing it but working remotely for the last few weeks and yet to actually meet any of my new colleagues - bizarre. I'm outside the furlough requirements, so definitely a bit on edge, hoping things improve in the near future. Still, can't complain though, lots in pretty awful situations right now.

Been doing a truck load of indoor riding - around 250 miles a week, which I'm really enjoying. Using my one outside token a day to run or walk. 

Do have some small running news though. Set out for a 5km TT yesterday morning and surprised myself with a 17:36, very evenly paced effort with the final km being (marginally) the fastest. Holding some form, bike miles will probably help. Katie ran 19:26, so good news all round.

Hope you and your families are keeping safe and sound. Will try and post more in the next few days/weeks. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's some bad timing on the job Joe. But at least they didn't then withdraw or redundo you!

And i suppose unlike us furlough reenos you can stay in the habit of work.

My days are up 830 amble and read for a bit. Long run, get back clean some stuff, water some plants and before i know it..it's 2pm!

10.5 today. Big hill midway which was hard work as it's suddenly turned very hot, and it was obvs midday.

Had a shout at some chump who not only stood there like a clown on some pathway near a road, but upon me moving out the way just ignored any niceties. Not a big issue but so unlike everyone else encountered on every run so far.

I even almost went over when jumping onto a verge that had some hidden dip to give an oldie couple some space 😄😙

10.5 in the end..slightly bodged the route but no issue.

Will do some more short burns tomorrow. Prob stick with 1mins but probably will do stop recoveries to encourage more pace. May pick a particularly flat route or might just do across town again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - shirt off, bus will be all over that too.

Mr Tenagain here today.
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Good to see you back Joe. Congrats on the new job, but sorry that you're outside furlough - hopefully it's something you can continue doing remotely for the duration! Tidy 5km burn-up too, for both you and Katie, those cycling miles will pay dividends!

Glad to see the usual monstrously hilly runs Bus & Jools. Nicely done on the 10s SG & TR, Mr consistent.

Ric, it's definitely a wonder as to how our sport will be shaped over the coming months. I'm sure that it'll all be back to normal one day though, just a case of when. It's certainly not a bad thing to tick over the endurance - perhaps worth looking at trail runs/races to remove the comparison with the road?

Another session here today - 5 x 2m30s off 90s, seems a bit of an odd length rep, but hey-ho. Today was warm seemingly out of nowhere, but not as warm as it is for the rest of you, so that added a bit of tough to it. Brought the reps down from ~5:50 to ~5:30/mi for a 5:42/mi average. Could have put out another in that sort of mixer, but definitely not as fast as the last. An easy hour tomorrow plus whatever is planned for the weekend should see me at 50mi for the week.
    Here's hoping that people don't take the piss this weekend, and stay at home as much as possible.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Quick synopsis - working at home all the time now, last time I went in was Monday last week. Being in Workforce info in the NHS it's nearly 8-6 most days at the moment.but obviously job security is fine, so can't complain.

On about 50 mph, but looks like an injury reversal on the thread, I'm injured and everyone else seems ok! My left leg upper hammy/glute is quite painful on runs. Getting slightly better now I'm kneeling at my desk for 20 minute stretches and doing remedial stuff to try and get it sorted.

So didn't take part in the virtual relays and didn't have to join Strava either! HHH women won the womens 6 and 12 stage.

Lockdown wise, I reckon it will stay as it is, but last until the end of June. I fear that the autumn marathons won't go ahead, perhaps some parkruns might and the league xc meetings? Will have to see what happens. Shit got real today - the guy I share an office with, plus 2 others is in hospital with COVID-19.He'd been at home for3 weeks too, so god knows how he got it.

oh well, we'll soldier on. Stay safe everyone.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Matt - good pace again, you are on it. Agreed re the easter weekend, what Manchester police found last weekend was outrageous, i wish theyd fine these people and make an example of tgem.

Simon - blimey, your world has got a bit more serious. best wishes. Shame you are injured too.

10 again here.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Big days Simon. Satisfying no doubt. Hope all around you recover well. Very unlike you getting injured. Some of us tend to go all year putting consistent stuff in, but very few batter top pace races and training all year like you.

Another 10 like TR.

Latest start time probably genuisly timee with the hottest day.

5mile warm up then put 8x90secs hard off 90secs jog (though midway on these were more 30sec walk then 60sec jog).
    Top pace isn't the game right now so this sesh works well rampaging across town.

Depending on consistency of surface, bends, wind, avoiding people and roads averaged out at 5.33 pace.
    One at 5.20ish, one at 6ish but probably says it all that these averaged quicker than both prevo versions of the 60sec ones which shouldn't happen.

Quite unusual to do this sort of session in a 10 i suppose. Normally you'd either do the looser "strides" or proper reps. But it's nice and ticks things over.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Matt, not sure about trail running right now.

Running off road was my main surface during the winter until the mud made it too much of an ordeal.

But yesterday, I set off along the old familiar route, in the dry and...oh, pedestrians ahead on the path.  Wait, for them to clear out but then another runner appeared and just followed them.

Ok then, I'll run on the road until I can get into the local woods...it'll be ok in there surely.

...Ok, then, seems I'm going to have to run on the roads if I'm going to run at all.

Reason is it's impossible to run off road along paths and trails when the entire world and it's wife are using them for exercise. Roads are relatively deserted, and I imagine the roads through industrial estates are totally devoid of people.

Only a seven miler which was as short a run as I've done for weeks. Today I made up for it on the bike. 72 miles through and around the Chilterns and wasn't even tired. I'll probably do something similar tomorrow.

If I transfer the current bike form to running, I might give it a bit more attention.

🙂

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Cheers all. Got another message from my workmate again today - he's on oxygen but not put on a ventilator which is the big thing with this it seems. Praying he'll be ok. Good reps SG and running TR - Cycling Rich.

Seen some REEBOK Run fast for £89 online. Great review and might get them as an adios replacement as the Adios version 5 have awful reviews. Although wait for the Adios Pro? That's their 4% rival and £160 apparently. If they are nearly as good as the 4% Nike might have some problems as the Pro looks great (Like the Adios) and the alphafly? well probably the worst looking trainer I have ever seen. Going to be interesting.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

They sound interesting SC - especially for those of us who still miss that Adidas Adizero Adios (tongue twister that you always wonder if it was actually called all 3 names!)

I suppose i'd just be a bit wary of using any other companies Carbon job until there was plenty of user reviews etc.

Maybe the big man @scottedington (no..i don't think this tagging stuff works either!!) just happens to be prowling to confirm?

In the meantime I probs needs me another pair of Brooks Hyperions...not THEIR carbon plate £200+ jobs, just the "mere" £70-80 jobs, as mine with 520miles, and massive holes feel like paper right now!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you’ve finally succumbed to injury SC2. Better news about your colleague then.
    Great sessions from SG & MH.
    Double dozens with c1800ft each yesterday & today. Yesterday was a route finding jog & segment identification mission. Repeated yesterday's run with a deliberate crack at 5/7 segments on the route. The first 2 are half milers right at the start of the run. The first averages 9% & the 2nd 5%. I improved significantly on the 1st but wasn't really warmed up enough so only just into the top third (not helped by slightly off gps which had me still on the segment during the first half of the recovery) but the 2nd flatter one I managed to get 6th (of 114) despite the recovery between them only being about 150m. 2 miles of trail later I reached the road & the 3rd segment: 1.05M@9% It was a long, hot slog but I moved up to 6th. The next 2 were on the flatter section after dropping down from the lofty heights of Howle Hill. I wasn't exactly sure where they were but was running significantly better than yesterday so knew I'd improve. Was pleasantly surprised to get 8th (of 35) on the 5th one. The final 2 come right near the end: 700m@6% after 10.4M & then 600m@7% after a 600m DH to recover. Bagged 4th & 5th respectively B) Overall 14 minutes quicker than the same route yesterday, helped considerably by avoiding the 2 dead ends I took yesterday. Was probably significantly warmer though as I set off at 3pm!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're going segz mad Jools!

Always nice to grab or two, but I think I got over my seg days. They peaked with me once drawing a map of a park to try and take 5 on one lunchtime run sesh.

Think I only took 2, due to a mix of various clownery and bad luck.

One, I realised I hadn't "zoomed" in enough on the grid, so had stopped too early.

One I tied, so didn't get.

And one I didn't have the legs for, as it needed something like 3.50 pace for whatever short disto, and I foolishly attempted it last!! :D

Reminds me...I need to report the latest strava cyclist douche.

Took 8 seconds off a third of a mile rep I did - which would take a decent runner I think as I probably Rufus Brevitted it.

But no...some clown out for a 35mile at 5.37 pace. That must take some doing to cycle that slow? And I think that sort of massive long slow cycle for 3hours or so has to be on the borderline of the "exercise once a day" limit!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

On another note, I was whipping up some hunger to get back racing when we can..nothing like wanting to do something when you can't isn't there!

This clip, 1.10-1.20 is from the Gosport half of 2013, where my pen pic is taken from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ahaLxH9z8

I took the still as well, and this must have been quite early on as look in mint condish - versus the bedraggled barren look in the profile pic lower down :D