Friday 17th April 2020 - Panic on the brain

Morning :)

Lyrics today: Panic on the brain
World has gone insane

Yesterday's were Abba, Crazy World

Hope you are ok today, Dustin

Good to see you, em. Working from home with a baby can't be easy.

Forecast for Sunday is a little on the warm side, Hazel. About 16 degrees and no clouds. Last year (did the half) was perfect for me - 8 degrees, rain and no wind. Still beyond me how I managed to run 1:36 and feel great. Probably one of those rare occasions where it all came together :)

Comments

• Morning.

Early days emzap - you'll settle in to it I'm sure. I made a cider cake last week for the first time which was a big hit. Carrot and banana loaf yesterday - can you tell what I had to use up? :-) 

Hope you had a good night Dustin and feel better today.

Hazel - these anniversaries of our planned events are a bit difficult, on the one hand real first world problems in the circumstances but on the other something we'd looked forward to for a long time and worked hard for.

Has anyone seen OH?

Great to have a practical OH Wabo - sounds as though he's keeping himself busy in a very useful way.

No frost this morning but it's dull and breezy. Should be a non-run day but the forecast for tomorrow is pretty pants so I may risk a short run this morning as everything feels ok at the minute.

What:          maybe short and easy
    Why:           trying to stay sane
    Last hard:   staying positive
    Last rest:    15/4

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Thanks for all the kind words. 
    Feeling better than yesterday but still have aches in the rib area. I had a good poke about and didn't have any tendor spots so hopefully just a bit of bruising. I'll see how it goes over the weekend but slept better, feel better and am far more mobile (without wincing) so hopefully all good. 
    Still a little in shock over the head knock and the albeit temporary "where am I" moment, but if that's the worst thing that happens through this crisis, I'll take it. 
    What - reading about other people's runs
    Why - senisble head on, it's taken almost 54 years
    Last rest - yesterday, today
    last hard - no running, no races
    lyric - not sure

Cake - youngest has been baking this week, so chocolate cake and carrot cake. I'm not a big fan of chocolate cake, but her's is very well done, the carrot cake is a great attempt for the first one she's tried. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    All this cake talk makes me want some ;)

Glad you're feeling better, Dustin. Hope the fainting was just an isolated incident. 

Seems like your knees are slowy improving, LMH. Fingers crossed.

Another glorious morning here and my longest run for a while - a little over 9 miles. Pace is very slowly coming down too which is a positive.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Take care, Dustin!

Hope OH pops in! We did exchange messages on Tuesday...which actually seems ages ago!

What: short run and probably shorter (or lighter) gardening

Why: too many aches from a long gardening/soil shifting session yesterday (resting pulse and peak flow reassuringly good!). How I will be when I get two tonnes to move I don't know! 

Hazy sunshine here at present. No frost but not very warm. 

I seem to have over-ripe bananas and spare carrots...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good to hear it Dustin - I had five broken ribs, three at the front and two at the back, and the only treatment was pain relief to ensure I kept breathing properly and didn't end up with a chest infection.

This was the recipe I used Alehouse though I added a handful of raisins: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23560/carrot-banana-cake.aspx

I'm going to make a cinnamon cream cheese frosting for Mark but I liked it as it was. Light for a carrot cake.

Nice running chicksta. My knees do seem to be improving though I've not run much for me. Unfortunately when the knees feel good I seem to have a PITA instead. I shall have a roll around on a spiky ball before heading out.
  • Morning

Hm - cake talk.  +1 to overripe bananas that need using up - maybe banana and date loaf.  Need to check on the dates though.  Carrots also available.

Hope things settle down with wfh and Lucas soon emzap. 

Agree on the planned events LMH.   If your knees are willing I would take the run today option with that forecast

Good news Dustin.  Cake will help you recover faster.

Well done on the mileage chicksta - good you could take advantage of the conditions.

+1 to missing OH.

Get baking whilst waiting for the soil to arrive Ale. 

What: some sort of short intervals - maybe 5 x 600
    Why: don't want the legs to forget how to run fast but don't want to overdo it either 
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • In a change to the advertised plan for the first time in well over a year I rode a bicycle! I decided that as we are forecast rain tomorrow I would run in that - and hope there are less people out - whereas walking or riding in it would be less enjoyable. Unfortunately the only cycling shorts I have which fit are a thin tri pair, my poor sit bones :-) I have to say though it was breezy and therefore hard work at times but I did enjoy it. Just hope my shoulder doesn't react badly.

Hope the intervals went well Hazel. Did you find dates?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Thanks for the recipe, LMH! And glad you enjoyed the bike. I see you are forecast rain for tomorrow, but it may or may not reach here, unusually. If it arrives it may well keep the numbers down outside, and also I need some to dampen the dust that once was my front lawn!

25 mins d&d, with the legs feeling fresher than expected, but erring on the side of caution. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Just been reading the National Police Chief's Council and College of Policing's clarification on advice, which includes a section on exercising: you can "drive to the countryside to exercise (where far more time is spent walking than driving)". 

That will open up a few more routes for me where there will be fewer people. 

The above advice presumably won't be much use to those of you who are not UK based! Don't know whether this applies to The Orkneys either!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Well done on dusting the bike off, LMH. Let's hope your shoulder doesn't get too grumpy. 

Good to have more options, ale

We're quite fortunate here in terms of restrictions. Exercising early doors means I rarely see other people. Weekends get very busy at around lunchtime with the day trippers heading for a picnic spot by the river (eating outside is not allowed but many seem to ignore the advice). On the other hand, as long as the distances are kept, what's the problem with people sitting on a blanket eating a home-made sarnie?

Gorgeous weather here for pretty much all of April now. We had a few cold and breezy mornings but no rain at all. It's getting a bit dry out there an there's no rain forecast in the foreseeable future. Great for me, not so great for the farmers. 
  • I'm hoping that some precipitation will keep many indoors Alehouse. That guidance is England only. 

chicksta - there was a lot of speculation/opinion here that stopping to eat during your walk or ride was not 'allowed' but the latest guidance now states: Stopping to rest or to eat lunch while on a long walk is likely to be reasonable. I think the problem here is that some people are walking to their nearest park and sitting there to work or sunbathe which doesn't constitute 'exercise'. My back is more uncomfortable than usual but not too bad as yet.